PDA

View Full Version : World Cup under20

Pablo
07/01/2003, 1:16 PM
isnt Flynny only 19? surely he should get in if he is?

Republic of Ireland under-20 squad, UAE tournament, January 20-23:
Wayne Henderson (Aston Villa), Brian Murphy (Manchester City), Stephen Brennan (Newcastle), Stephen Paisley (Manchester City), Stephen Capper (Sunderland), Patrick McCarthy (Boston United), Mark Rossiter (Sunderland), Adrian Deane (Charlton Athletic), Glen Whelan (Manchester City), Stephen Kelly (Tottenham Hotspur), Michael Foley-Sheridan (Liverpool), Darren Potter (Liverpool), Sean Thornton (Sunderland), Graham Ward (Wolverhampton Wanderers), Jonathan Daly (Stockport County), Stephen Elliott (Manchester City), Conor Gethins (Ross County), Liam Kearney (Nottingham Forest), Willo Flood (Manchester City), Eamon Zayed (Bray Wanderers).

pete
07/01/2003, 1:33 PM
I think O'Flynn may have turned 20 during the current season. I presume Noel is also too old at this stage...

I wonder what FIFA person decided to have an u-20 as opposed u-21 tournament anyway. Suppose was either of the Havelange or Blatter crooks.

:rolleyes:

patsh
07/01/2003, 2:10 PM
Patrick McCarthy (Boston United)

Where and who are Boston United? Surely they are not a better side or playing at a more competitive level than el premier? Nothing personal against Patrick McCarthy(who I've never heard of) but where is Noel Hunt? he is only 19.
How many really decent players in the el would qualify for this side, yet only one picked?
Is Zayed the token el player?

eoinh
07/01/2003, 2:32 PM
flynn is now considered an u-21 player which is more prestigious.
as for Zayed, someone was saying on the el board that his father was from a north african country and that they were offering to cap him. this is a way of putting him into the irish national set-up, so to speak.

Hunt im surprised at.

wait till he goes to dunfermline i suppose :rolleyes:

Hecko
07/01/2003, 3:08 PM
whatever about Boston Utd., one of these guys plays with Ross County...Ross County???? Hunt is a fine player and at least some of the better lads at UCD must be under 20.

TheNorthsider
07/01/2003, 3:27 PM
boston are in the very lower regions of the nationwide div 3 ,they started the season -4 points deducted as a result of financial irregularities promoted from the vauxhaul conference

citylove
07/01/2003, 3:29 PM
Maybe it would be a good idea to have a rule that states all players that want to play in an Irish underage international must be playing in the EL. I think something like that was done in Scandenavia and worked really well. I think that would entice more players to remain in the league instead of jetting off across the water to play for the likes of Boston United!!

pete
07/01/2003, 4:12 PM
I'll assume O'Flynn is over age now.

Daly plays u-21 already so excluding guys that play for the u-21's doesn't make sense.

I know Hunt is moving to Dunfirmline at the end of the month but i'd doubt any player would trun down the chance to play in the u-20 world cup. btw i think he'll do well in the SPL next season if not this.

Ross County are in the scottish 1st division (may have got promoted from their 2nd division last year). I'd say the Boston Utd & Ross County guys are british based with irish parents.

off topic:
Noel Hunts transfer should be a good sign to irish kids not to be join lower division foreign clubs when they teenagers. I'm sure the fact John O'Flynn has already played in england & "failed" will count against him like Glen Crowe in his quest to get back over there.

joe
07/01/2003, 6:42 PM
speaking of Boston United, one-time Irish international (I think) Daryl Clare currently plys his trade there and was touting himself for a place in the World Cup squad when we were looking a bit short up front :)