PDA

View Full Version : New Captain

feo123
11/03/2007, 10:50 AM
New captain is Jamie McKenzie, was against galway anyway! Bit of a surpsrise in fareness but fare play to him, he was brilliant on friday night!

sligoman
11/03/2007, 11:24 AM
Would have preferred Conor O'Grady as he's more of an obvious presence on the pitch but McKenzie must have some leadership qualities if he's given it.

redrov2005
11/03/2007, 12:35 PM
Thought Gavin Peers was the new captain. I don't think Jamie is a central defender. Great display by the boys but we weren't really tested on Friday.

Red&White Rover
11/03/2007, 12:40 PM
Ditto to above...but how and ever, good luck to Jamie...

feo123
11/03/2007, 12:45 PM
o'brien saw alot of the ball and every time turner got a great tackle in, 2 centre halves won every header, foy was rock solid, his man didnt get a touch. brush didnt put a foot wrong in goal either!
defence was very good....helped by the midfielders doing really well trackin back also! a clean sheet ya cant ask for anything else of them. will be a tougher test on saturday obviously but im confident we can shut them out! keep the same back four together for as long as possible

sligoman
11/03/2007, 4:55 PM
Turner should be captain,wins every ball and plays wit passionA key quality in leading the team alright:rolleyes:.

avvenalaf
11/03/2007, 6:59 PM
Well, for starters, he hasn't submitted a written transfer request.

Only1Rovers
12/03/2007, 1:52 PM
dont think Turner is vocal enough on the pitch for the captaincy.

feo123
12/03/2007, 5:05 PM
yeah probably right there, he's a quiet enough lad i think! we wouldn't seem to have a hold load of 'talkers' on the pitch though?!?

Only1Rovers
13/03/2007, 1:49 PM
Cant see how they chose McKenzie, surly it has be to O'Grady for captaincy, local boy, gives 100% everytime, not afraid to get on to his team-mates. But if McKenzie is captain and were doin alright then so be it...

neutrino
13/03/2007, 5:50 PM
Cant see how they chose McKenzie, surly it has be to O'Grady for captaincy, local boy, gives 100% everytime, not afraid to get on to his team-mates. But if McKenzie is captain and were doin alright then so be it...

i'm sure the players decided this themselves b4 the galway game. maybe it'll be a different captain in the next game until they get a manager in. o'grady might not want to be captain and prefer to focus on getting through his own game. I'd have Turner as captain.

Only1Rovers
14/03/2007, 11:51 AM
I'd have Turner as captain.

Yea he could be good, as the sort to lead by example, but as I said above not the most vocal on the pitch.:ball:

neutrino
14/03/2007, 12:43 PM
Yea he could good, as the sort of lead by example, but as I said above not the most vocal on the pitch.:ball:

yip, i'd agree he's not too vocal but not all captains are. lead by example type. seems alot of news going about that he'll be off to bohs in the transfer window. player like turner needs to be made feel important and wanted esp with bohs sniffing around. so making him captain could be good. it's also a good time for the club to make an effort to extend his contract. he might not be interested but they should try. if his is to go i'd prefer to keep him and let him walk at the end of the season. unless it's a ridiculous fee in july.

Only1Rovers
15/03/2007, 11:51 AM
if his is to go i'd prefer to keep him and let him walk at the end of the season. unless it's a ridiculous fee in july.

Connor said in yesterdays Star that he would make another good offer for him in the coming months, if Rovers didn't accept it he was gonna go looking else where. He said he wasn't gonna pay over the odds for Turner just because everyone thinks Bohs are minted.

Think your right about keeping him and letting him walk. if thats the way it has to be.:o

Guts&Glory
15/03/2007, 1:01 PM
Dont see the Captain thing as a big issue everyone should be pulling their weight and doing their job anyway.

Having said all that from the management point of view I think it may be that McKenzie needs a bit of a confidence boost due to his lack of match time last season compared to Turner so may have something to do with it IMO.