PDA

View Full Version : Right lads - direction needed

Sean Drog
07/01/2003, 8:54 AM
Lads

We all know about the work going on behind the scenes to give the club a proper five year plan which looks like for possibly the first time in the clubs history that it will have strong investors behind it. This is excellent news for the club. But what about us supporters, perhaps it is also time for us to arrange ourselves into a more professional outfit also.

We have the members club which has organised a few things this season and had monthly meetings but surley we can us this more effectively.

What direction should the members club be taking? what can the members club actively do to help the club. What direction should we take?

Did anyone else read the Development and marketing committees report in the Bohs programme on friday night? this is what we as supporters should be doing.

We might not have the cash the investors have but we can help the club in terms of proper fund raising and promotion of the clubs profile within the town.

Well lads, any comments, ideas ?

DrogMan
07/01/2003, 10:25 AM
Yes agreed Sean, something has to be done about this. Now I and a number of others were meaning to bring this topic up soon so as Sean has done it now's the time.
Basically we need some sort of supporters/members club to..

1) Help raise funds for the club.
2) To add colour to the games at home and away. I mean just look at the Boh's example.
3) To generate more support from locals in the town.

Now I know that it's easier said than done but if some of us make a plan and set our stall out then I shouldn't see much of a problem with it being setup in time for next season.
Now there was some suggestions of creating a Fanzine. This is a great idea as the supporters club can voice their own opinions and idea's instead of having it coming through the club all the time.
So if anybody is on for it then, with more idea's then let's hear them :D

Sean Drog
07/01/2003, 11:01 AM
more colour at the matches is a must.

I was very impressed with the Bohs falgs, the poles are made of fibre glass and can be bought here

http://www.tifo.it/

they are around 110euro, I think they mad ehteflags themselves but they look great, they could be stored in the club house.
A table quiz to pay for them, buy 5.

As for the fanzine - good idea but a lot of work - but if your willing !!

As for fund raising, the members should meet up and organise a massive draw for the off season - a pre-season draw, we could sell 5000 easy between all the members - its very possible.

DruggyDrog
07/01/2003, 11:28 AM
My opinion is that the present members club should evolve into a Supporters Club, run by the fans for the fans, with the best interests of DUFC at heart.
I'm sure we are all very capable in our own ways, and should pool these abilities together to further the aims and objectives of the members/supporters club.
For example, some people would be better at doing a fanzine than selling tickets, others would prefer to organise transport to away games than make flags.
Its a necessity to get something solid and recognised up and running and in operation, certainly before the start of next season, preferably before the end of this one

woodie2
07/01/2003, 11:28 AM
Great idea Sean, and I would be willing to help out, but heres something to think about. I have been doin a bit of research myself and and according to the results I have it might not be a bad idea. What I propose is that 50 supporters get together and talk to the board with a view of investing in the club, so that we the fans can have a spoke in the club. If its 5000 to have a share then all each of us would have to give is 100 a year for three years. A little to gain a lot and Im not talking money here. There is plenty of interest out there, its just trying to get the ball rolling.

Sean Drog
07/01/2003, 11:47 AM
Ok I propse we e-mail all the members with a list of possible groups to be formed an would they like to put their names to any of these working committees within the members group?

Committee

Marketing committee
Role: To promote the profile of the club and increase the attendences at matches.

Fanzine Committee
Role: Research the feasibility of running a monthly members club fanzine.

Events committee
Role: To review possible ideas for fundraising.

Members committee
Role: Increase membership of members club and keep members fully informed.

They committees will be represented at the monthly meetings to keep all members upto date. At monthly meetngs new committees can be formed for once off projects etc.

This is just a framwork.

What do ye think.

Oh members can also be asked to joint the 100e scheme to get the members club represnted in the club. 50 members 100e - I would go along with this.

DruggyDrog
07/01/2003, 1:07 PM
The fans investment is a good idea. Lets people know we mean business, and won't be deserting the club if things turn sour.

The existing mailing list for the members club should be used, but I also think an email to the club notes section of the DI (free to use) would be appropriate and may mean new members.

Maybe it would be an idea for a few people to meet up and thrash out a few ideas before contacting the masses?

DrogMan
07/01/2003, 1:09 PM
Yeah that sounds good to me, but let's not do like they lads did in the film "The Life of Brian".
Let's not just talk and not do anything, we need people to be involved and I for one will be in like a hot snot!!!

DruggyDrog
07/01/2003, 1:17 PM
Once again, Mr Drogman, we'll have to take your word on that!!

(where do you get them from!)

drogflight
07/01/2003, 1:33 PM
;) AS A BLOW IN FROM THE BIG SMOKE SINCE THE BEGINNING OF THE YEAR AND NOW A REGULAR AT O2 PARK WITH A COUPLE OF FRIENDS OF MINE THE IDEA OF THE 100e I WOULD BE ON FOR AND THE IDEA OF THE SUPPORTERS CLUB. WHATEVER HELP NEEDED NO PROBLEM. WHY NOT TAP INTO THE MARKET IN THIS GREAT TOWN OF OUTSIDERS LIVING HERE.

woodie2
07/01/2003, 1:38 PM
ok lads lets get things moving. Lets all get together and have a meeting. When and where ? anyone any thoughts?

Sean Drog
07/01/2003, 1:48 PM
what suits most?

Francesco
07/01/2003, 1:55 PM
It's great to see some enthusiam for a supporters club and it is long overdue. I do believe that the idea of the supporters have 1 share for 5000 and a say at board meetings has been suggested already and I don't see why it can't work. There needs to be better interaction between the management and the supporters - each needs to appreciate what the other want to contribute and is capable of. It would cut out the constant complaining among fans and hopefully inspire some real action on their behalf. Now I am moving to London in a couple of months - I was thinking that if this takes off that I would set up a UK supporters club. I know that there are people over there from Drogheda or associated with the town that would like to contribute in some way, whether it is financially or writing articles or whatever. If there is a good package put together then it could really work. Plus it will filter down to the youth in the town also. I will do all I can, but I am somewhat isolated in Dublin at the moment. But if I'd like to put myself forward for coordinated a UK branch of whatever is developed. What does everyone think?

DruggyDrog
07/01/2003, 2:17 PM
If enough notice is given, then I'm sure those who really want to be there can make any night of the week. I'd imagine a midweek night would suit most, but I'm easy either way.

theworkers
07/01/2003, 2:18 PM
Its great to see that supporters want to help out with the promoting and fundrasing of the club

But what is the point in suggesting a close season draw or pre season draw if there is a grand end of season draw already

although this fundraiser has been well promoted through the papers and programmes and matchday's and are available at the club and shops and pubs around the town. the response to date has been just ok, with the best response coming from the club's sponosors, who already give invaluable funds into the club.

apart from a few people involved in the members club , the response from the supporters has been poor. 1000 were given out to the members and very few have come back to us.

The response to the xmas dinner and dance was also poor. It was very dissapointing for everybody at the club to cancel the event, after the time we had put into arranging the event.

The grand draw has great potential to be a worthwhile fundraiser but only if it gets the full support from the supporters of the club.

Sean Drog
07/01/2003, 2:18 PM
I'm sure any meeting will have proper minutes so they can be e-mailed to members not based in Drogheda.

I'll throw out a date for a meeting to get some hardcore plans together which can then be put to the other members.

How about after the match on Friday?

Francesco
07/01/2003, 2:23 PM
I think match night is a good idea. Before the game could work too in Mother Hughes or something, but whatever. I'd be on for that.

Sean Drog
07/01/2003, 2:46 PM
could be a bit of a rush getting back from Dublin after work - I suggest after the match in the club bar.

Does this suit everyone else ?

drogflight
07/01/2003, 3:06 PM
After match on friday would be good

DruggyDrog
07/01/2003, 3:51 PM
Sounds good to me, will it be easy to talk up there after the game?

woodie2
07/01/2003, 4:06 PM
Im on for that. See yall there.

Cosmo
07/01/2003, 8:11 PM
I agree with basically everything thats been said so far, so lets hope it gets off the ground. The supporters need a proper voice, as we havent had any voice for as long as I can remember - thats why I think the fanzines a great idea (well maybe a cross between a **** take fanzine and some serious articles about football in general and the members club).

Agree with Drogman - we must create a great atmosphere at matches, colour,etc.

Also important that we raise funds - this is a MUST for the members club to work in my opinion. Not just mickey mouse funds - but sufficent funds.

We also must be responsible for promoting the club and matches locally i.e. posters for matches (which were doing at the moment but need more help with this anyone??) and pr stunts to give the club positive publicity around the town.

Btw, I think the flags that we have for away games are all going uo on friday. Anyone able to get their hands on claret and blue paper before fri so we can cut it up and throw in the air wen the team comes out. I know its only small - but every little thing helps to add to the atmosphere. I work in a fairly isolated part in dublin, so im not able to get any - anyone able to help?? (ther must be someone that can help)

ally4derek_fabi
16/01/2003, 10:44 PM
great idea lads.....

BobtheDrog
17/01/2003, 11:19 PM
i'm interested but will be away until march bcos i'm touring europe bad timing i know but if someone cud email me the minutes or watever i'm willing to help out