PDA

View Full Version : Italy 23-20 Wales

sligoman
10/03/2007, 5:11 PM
Anyone see how it finished? That ref should be punished!

DmanDmythDledge
10/03/2007, 5:49 PM
Yeah it was a joke alright. Still I'm glad to see Italy win- they deserved to win and have made great strides the past few years. If Ireland play like they did today next week an upset could be on the cards.

dfx-
10/03/2007, 10:49 PM
Tough luck really they should've just went for the posts instead if in any doubt. Didn't deserve it either..

sligoman
10/03/2007, 10:55 PM
Tough luck really they should've just went for the posts instead if in any doubt. Didn't deserve it either..Doesn't matter, the ref told them their was 10 seconds left and to play on and they did and then he blew his whistle.

I was up for Italy, just felt the way Wales were messed about with was ****.

Soper
11/03/2007, 8:08 AM
I'd feel sympathetic for Wales, but they way they go on and on about refereeing errors from matches 5 years ago eradicates any potential for that.

pete
11/03/2007, 11:16 AM
I think the ref made the mistake of saying Wales had enough time to take the lineout. He should have said if they can get the ball out of play before the 80 minutes they could take the lineout.

I don't think Wales would have scored anyway.

Great to Italy winning. :cool:

Wales media are too cocky about rugby which is why I like to see them lose.

shakermaker1982
11/03/2007, 5:29 PM
why didn't they just take the 3 points?!

sligoman
11/03/2007, 5:33 PM
Was reading on Aertel, the ref has apologised to the Welsh team for the confusion and they've accepted it.

DmanDmythDledge
11/03/2007, 5:57 PM
why didn't they just take the 3 points?!
Because they wanted to win obviously...

shakermaker1982
11/03/2007, 7:30 PM
Because they wanted to win obviously...

it wasn't a cert though was it? I wouldn't have backed em to win their own ball and go over the try line, if they knocked on or spilled then game over anyway. At least with the kick it was pretty straight forward for Hook.

DmanDmythDledge
11/03/2007, 7:32 PM
it wasn't a cert though was it? I wouldn't have backed em to win their own ball and go over the try line, if they knocked on or spilled then game over anyway. At least with the kick it was pretty straight forward for Hook.
Sorry I misunderstood you. I thought you were completely clueless as to why they went for touch.

Schumi
11/03/2007, 7:37 PM
it wasn't a cert though was it? I wouldn't have backed em to win their own ball and go over the try line, if they knocked on or spilled then game over anyway. At least with the kick it was pretty straight forward for Hook.A draw would have left them with very little chance of avoiding the wooden spoon.

dfx-
11/03/2007, 9:32 PM
I think the ref made the mistake of saying Wales had enough time to take the lineout. He should have said if they can get the ball out of play before the 80 minutes they could take the lineout.

From what was shown on the BBC, it was the televised match official that got it wrong and should be apologising if anyone should.

pete
12/03/2007, 9:13 AM
From what was shown on the BBC, it was the televised match official that got it wrong and should be apologising if anyone should.

See on replay yesterday & this is my take on...

Welsh lads asked ref how long left.
Ref asks TMO who tells him 10 seconds when was probably more like 7sec.
Ref tells welsh that 10 seconds left but probably only 5 left by the time he told them.
Welsh kicked the ball out of touch but was gone past 80 minutes when the ball crossed the line.

If the ball had crossed the line at 79.59 ref would have had to leave them play on. I agree fault lies with TMO as he was less than 10 seconds left when he replied to the ref.

Schumi
12/03/2007, 12:02 PM
The ref has the final decision though doesn't he? He should have let them take the line out after giving them the go ahead.

OwlsFan
12/03/2007, 4:18 PM
If they'd taken a tap penalty, there would have been none of this bother. They mightn't have even won the lineout.

dfx-
12/03/2007, 4:38 PM
The ref has the final decision though doesn't he? He should have let them take the line out after giving them the go ahead.

Can you imagine the Italian annoyance and protests if they found out that the ball went into touch at 80.02 and the TMO told the ref that he has time...

He was stuck either way, imo.

bigmac
14/03/2007, 12:59 PM
The ref does have the final decision, but he can also blow for time at any stage when the ball is out of play. Technically that means that there needs to be enough time left not only to kick to touch, but to take the lineout throw as well. The only thing a ref can't do is interrupt play to blow for time. If the lineout hasn't been taken when time is up then he's not interrupting play.

I do agree that they should have been allowed to take the lineout though.

osarusan
14/03/2007, 1:51 PM
I was always under the impression that a lineout is part of a penalty, and time cannot be called until the lineout has been taken.

Tazskool
14/03/2007, 2:24 PM
In later views on this from teh tv company who shown the game live..

they actually broadcasted the REFS microhpone.. the ref on the pitch has NO ruling over the call of full time...

the 4th official said there was 10 seconds left.. if you count this down it from when the welsh player asked it was 10 BEFORE he kicked the ball initally..

so when the ball went out in theory the ref had made the right call.. but in the interest of not being linched by the press and everyone in Wales (and the sheep) the ref issued a "Opps my bad" statement...