PDA

View Full Version : UCD 0-0 Shamrock Rovers

DmanDmythDledge
08/03/2007, 9:37 PM
First game of the season!!:) :ball: I reckon the starting line up will the same as Wexford, except with Finn starting ahead of King. Should be a win for us, especially that Rovers have a few players missing. 1-0 to us with Sammo to score.:cool:

pineapple stu
09/03/2007, 12:00 AM
Thank God - 16 weeks over!

I'd agree with the line up, which looks decent. I'd agree with the result, but I'm not putting any money on it!

dfx-
09/03/2007, 12:01 AM
Another 18 hours to go:( Not that I'm counting or anything...

Rovers have a few players missing?

pineapple stu
09/03/2007, 12:05 AM
No-one suspended anyway. We're missing Paul Crowley, but he may be injured in any event.

18 3/4 hours...

dfx-
09/03/2007, 12:14 AM
Ger O'Brien is out and Purcell upfront, but should be still a strong enough side as far as I was aware. Should be a good, tight opening test.:ball:

DmanDmythDledge
09/03/2007, 11:54 AM
I'd agree with the result, but I'm not putting any money on it!
I am.:D

Ger O'Brien is out and Purcell upfront, but should be still a strong enough side as far as I was aware. Should be a good, tight opening test.:ball:
Shiels and McGill as well.

DvB
09/03/2007, 1:01 PM
I am.:D

Shiels and McGill as well.

Both would have been unlikely to start anyway though!

Can't believe i'm gonna say this, I'm actually really looking forward to a game in Belfield!!:eek: :D

Koh

Poor Student
09/03/2007, 1:13 PM
I think it'll be tight. Have a nasty feeling Rovers will shade it.

WeAreRovers
09/03/2007, 1:59 PM
I think it'll be tight. Have a nasty feeling Rovers will shade it.

Too hard to call IMO. Put it this way, I reckon that if we finish one place above UCD we'll have had a good season.

KOH

pineapple stu
10/03/2007, 1:05 AM
UCD and Shamrock Rovers opened their 2007 campaign with a rather tame goalless draw in front of a large crowd at Belfield Park tonight. With defences largely on top, clear cut chances were hard to come by, although both sides did hit the woodwork in their quest for victory.

As expected, UCD started with the same team which had brushed aside Wexford Youths in the final friendly last week, with the adjustment to recall Ronan Finn on his return from international duty.

Rovers started the stronger, and could have taken the lead early on only for a fine stop from Darren Quigley on the edge of his area. The Ireland B international was beaten all ends up midway through the opening period, however, when Ger Rowe's superb curling effort cannoned off the bar, and although Shaun Maher was on hand to tap home the rebound, he was adjudged to have been offside.

Conor Sammon went closest for UCD in the first half, when he received the ball from Conan Byrne on the right; with his back to goal, he turned and sent in a low shot which Barry Murphy in the Rovers goal did well to parry, and the Rovers defence was on hand to knock the ball out for a corner with Paul Byrne lurking to score.

There was a blow for the home side on the stroke of half-time when Tony McDonnell was taken off with a second black eye in as many weeks; Killian Gallagher was brought on for his debut.

UCD improved in the second half and almost took a sensational lead when Alan Mahon - yet to find the net in 203 league appearances for the Students - curled a 30-yard free kick inches wide. The Students upped the ante for good periods of the second half, with Derek Doyle and Gallagher particularly instrumental up front, while Conor Kenna and Darren Quigley in particular were immense in defence as they mopped up everything Rovers could throw at them.

With a quarter of an hour remaining, a corner from Conan Byrne was headed goalwards and deflected onto the bar by Rovers keeper Murphy; Ronan Finn's volley from the rebound was also blocked away to safety.

A steady start, so, against a side who will have hopes of a top half finish this season. There will be no lack of motivation for next week's clash away to Drogheda United, however, with UCD's tough start to the season continuing the following week with a home tie against Cork City.

UCD - Quigley; Mahon, Kenna, McNally, McDonnell (Gallagher 44); McFaul, C Byrne, Finn, Doyle (King 86); Sammon, P Byrne (Purcell 75). Subs not used - McMillan, Gregg

Att - c 1600

Sniffer
10/03/2007, 10:49 AM
Who is Gallagher??

DmanDmythDledge
10/03/2007, 10:49 AM
Who is Gallagher??
Killian Gallagher, left back.

Sniffer
10/03/2007, 10:58 AM
Thanks; hadn't heard of him, where did he come from?

DmanDmythDledge
10/03/2007, 11:04 AM
Thanks; hadn't heard of him, where did he come from?
Not sure but he was with the U-21s last year.

Poor Student
10/03/2007, 1:06 PM
Who is Gallagher??

He was impressive by all accounts. Certainly for a full back (assuming that's what he actually is) he's got a good offensive game.

Fair play to the Rovers fans, it was a great turnout even if it was a slightly special occasion.

pineapple stu
10/03/2007, 5:11 PM
A good offensive game? We in America now?!

Also, you were at the game - why was he impressive "by all accounts"? Can you not decide for yourself? ;)

hoopy
10/03/2007, 5:20 PM
Any chance lads of getting mats or something put across that mudbath we had to cross to get to the stiles, even a single line or something. The amount of ruined footwear had to be seen to be believed. This isn't a rant or anything like that but my trainers went in the bin last night!!

pineapple stu
10/03/2007, 5:26 PM
Well, yez were advised about it on the Rovers forum (http://www.srfcultrasforum.com/forum/showpost.php?p=31644&postcount=48)! :)

Poor Student
10/03/2007, 5:28 PM
A good offensive game? We in America now?!

He played like a winger at full back and I didn't remember much about his defending, hence he played well offensively and appears to have a good offensive game!

Also, you were at the game - why was he impressive "by all accounts"? Can you not decide for yourself? ;)

I include my account in those.;)

Any chance lads of getting mats or something put across that mudbath we had to cross to get to the stiles, even a single line or something. The amount of ruined footwear had to be seen to be believed. This isn't a rant or anything like that but my trainers went in the bin last night!!

How about walking on the path for an extra 30 seconds instead of cutting corners?:confused:

DmanDmythDledge
10/03/2007, 5:38 PM
Draw was a fair result. Rovers had the better of the first half with O'Connor giving Alan Mahon a lot of trouble down the left. We can count ourselves lucky we didn't end up two goals down with the chance that hit the bar and Quigley's mis-hit clearance.

Second half we were the only team that looked like scoring and came close on a few occasions, but most of our chances were outside the box. We still seem to have a problem of creating chances in the final third. Finn is capable of being an effective playmaker IMO but had a quiet game last night (due to him playing CM now;) ). However I'm sure he will adapt to it soon enough.

Defence was solid as usual, bar Mahon, but that is to be expected by now. Gallagher had a great game, was good going forward once again. He seems like a Darragh Ryan that can defend.:) IMO he should be starting ahead of Mahon with Kenna moving to RB.

McFaul had a quiet but effective game. He looks very composed on the ball and what singles him out IMO is that he always looks like he has plenty of time on the ball.

Upfront we seem to be weak once again. With Sammon in the side there is only one way of playing and that is to give the ball to his feet, but that rarely happened last night. He can't jump for the ball at all.

All in all a solid, but not spectacular start to the season, with plenty of room for improvement.

pineapple stu
10/03/2007, 5:41 PM
He played like a winger at full back and I didn't remember much about his defending, hence he played well offensively and appears to have a good offensive game!
I'm aware of the concept a "good offensive game" is supposed to convey; my point is that it's never been a football term!

On the Rovers forum, they were saying their midfield was overrun a bit in the second half, and noted how big our team was, which I don't think has ever been the case before.

Poor Student
10/03/2007, 5:47 PM
Defence was solid as usual, bar Mahon, but that is to be expected by now. Gallagher had a great game, was good going forward once again. He seems like a Darragh Ryan that can defend.:) IMO he should be starting ahead of Mahon with Kenna moving to RB.

Completely agree but we know that's not going to happen. He's not the worst but he proves to be a weak link in that back four.

McFaul had a quiet but effective game. He looks very composed on the ball and what singles him out IMO is that he always looks like he has plenty of time on the ball.

I remember when we would do with a midfield of Hurley and Dicker the two of them just wouldn't impose on and control a game like we would with the experience of Crowley and Tony Mac in there despite being talented players. It might take a few games for such a young midfield partnership to settle in and take games by the scruff of the neck. They do offer a bit more composure and directness than a partnership of Tony Mac and Dicker though (looking at both pairs as a single unit).

Upfront we seem to be weak once again. With Sammon in the side there is only one way of playing and that is to give the ball to his feet, but that rarely happened last night. He can't jump for the ball at all.

What's really annoying is that we keep hoofing it up. I think part of it is to do with the wings. Neither Conan Byrne or Doyle are penetrative wingers in the Partick Kavanagh mould. Doyle had an ok game but he still either has to elect to play it in field or often doesn't beat his man. On top of this, the full backs, particularly Mahon aren't driving forward and creating space and options for the wingers. I think this is partly why we improved in the 2nd half when Gallagher came on. He gave us a lot going forward. I think the general lack of wide options squeezes us into playing through the middle and going for the long ball which will never work with Sammo.

pineapple stu
10/03/2007, 5:49 PM
Thought Derek Doyle played his est game yet for us last night. Was willing to take on his man, take a pot at goal and lay off some good passes.

DmanDmythDledge
10/03/2007, 5:52 PM
I agree that it was one of his best ever games. Still a bit of room for improvement.:)

Also anyone know if he's badly injured? Maybe Bogdan will be starting next week.:cool:

Poor Student
10/03/2007, 5:53 PM
Thought Derek Doyle played his est game yet for us last night. Was willing to take on his man, take a pot at goal and lay off some good passes.

He's a distinctly average winger. He's rarely able to get past his man when taking him on directly. I think he's aware of this and lays the ball in field a lot which results in a narrowing of our game. How many good crosses can you remember being whipped in from the around the byline last night? I thought Gallagher actually looked far more adept at taking on and going past the man.

DmanDmythDledge
10/03/2007, 5:55 PM
He's rarely able to get past his man when taking him on directly.
:confused: :eek:

Fact is he did last night, has been in pre-season (albeit weak opposition) and was in good form in the final third of last season.

pineapple stu
10/03/2007, 5:55 PM
He's rarely able to get past his man when taking him on directly. I think he's aware of this and lays the ball in field a lot which results in a narrowing of our game.
Really? I recall him taking on his man quite a lot and beating him quite alot last night.

Don't think your second point holds water either. Aside from the above disagreement, it's a sign of a good player when they know their limitations and don't try what they can't do, and play to their strenghts instead.

Poor Student
10/03/2007, 6:06 PM
Don't think your second point holds water either. Aside from the above disagreement, it's a sign of a good player when they know their limitations and don't try what they can't do, and play to their strenghts instead.

That I agree with. But what's a winger who can't beat his man often enough? I find myself more often than not being frustrated at the full back getting the ball off him again. I think he lacks the trickey and pace to get past his man in a way that leaves him in space to whip in a good cross. My second point does hold water depending on the accuracy of the first one, your game becomes narrow if the winger keeps laying the ball in centre. Yes, it's better than not losing the ball but when you lose your width you become far more predictable and easily shut out.

pineapple stu
10/03/2007, 6:08 PM
Your second point holds water if your first one does, but myself and dmanetc are of the opinion that it doesn't. Doyler was quite willing and able to take on his man and more last night.

CollegeTillIDie
11/03/2007, 9:05 AM
Jeez Louise We didn't concede a goal ( well not one that counted) and people want to change the back four already? Let's wait till some team actually manages to score against us first.

DmanDmythDledge
14/03/2007, 2:45 PM
Jeez Louise We didn't concede a goal ( well not one that counted) and people want to change the back four already? Let's wait till some team actually manages to score against us first.
Why wait until the damage is done? Mahon is clearly the weak link in our defence and it won't take long for teams to noitice this.

On a more postive note Conor Kenna has being picked in the eleven-a-side team of the week.:cool::ball: (http://www.eleven-a-side.com/blogs/viewblog.asp?bid=7)

John83
14/03/2007, 3:10 PM
On a more postive note Conor Kenna has being picked in the eleven-a-side team of the week.:cool::ball: (http://www.eleven-a-side.com/blogs/viewblog.asp?bid=7)
Good to see him being recognised. He's been a rock for us for a long time now.

pineapple stu
18/03/2007, 6:30 PM
Highlights on YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhP9GSne-R8&eurl=) as well.

(I've added this into the UCD on YouTube thread as well; double post, I know, so delete if necessary, but it's relevant to both threads.)