PDA

View Full Version : Duddy on BBC

bluemovie
08/03/2007, 10:40 AM
Did anyone see Season Ticket on BBC last night? They did a half hour profile on John Duddy. They showed Jake La Motta coming into Gleason's to meet him because 'Raging Bull' is a big fan of Duddy's. Duddy was really excited and very humble, but La Motta couldn't understand a word of what he was saying in the strong Derry accent. Great programme. They discussed his uncle Jackie's death on Bloody Sunday too.

After a quiet period, Ireland has three top class boxers now. Duddy is the furthest along the line with an inconsequential alphabet belt already secured and a huge following in New York. Andy Lee (who fights on Duddy's undercard in Madison Square Garden on Paddy's Eve) is only starting out, but has everything in his locker that's required to go on to be a world champion. And the third, of course, is the legend Bernard Dunne. Two weeks to showtime!

osarusan
08/03/2007, 10:51 AM
Andy Lee (who fights on Duddy's undercard in Madison Square Garden on Paddy's Eve) is only starting out, but has everything in his locker that's required to go on to be a world champion.

Steroids of some kind?

paul_oshea
08/03/2007, 12:05 PM
bluemovie john duddy is auld enough now though, doesnt have that many good years left in him.

bluemovie
08/03/2007, 12:29 PM
Duddy turns 28 in the summer. He's still learning. A boxer's prime is when he's 29/30. Joe Calzaghe is fighting his best now at 35. Mayweather is 30. Look at Bernard Hopkins who dominated the middleweights (Duddy's weight) through his late 30s. I haven't seen enough of Duddy since he was an amateur so I couldn't judge if he has it in him to win a proper title, but everything the experts say is very positive about him. The tough fight against Campas last year will stand him in good stead.

paul_oshea
08/03/2007, 1:06 PM
sorry blue, i thought he was 32, i read on rte before he was 32.

lofty9
08/03/2007, 2:13 PM
I know John well and he is one of the most level headed person I've met. There is no cockiness about him and he is getting a great education in New York. I say education because he is still learning and it will take another 2 years before he is the real deal. He has a good friend out there from Derry with him too that helps him keep his head out of the clouds. I know a few guys who are going over to watch him fight next week. Hope he keeps putting them down and makes a good living off it.

paul_oshea
08/03/2007, 2:16 PM
i took it upon myself to annonymously change LondonDerry to Derry on his wikipedia page, i noticed that when i did it, the flag for nationality changed from "northern ireland: irish" to "rep of ireland flag colours: irish"

Dodge
08/03/2007, 2:33 PM
You micght want to check out the idiots at boxrec.com who have his nationality as British despite Duddy's management team requestung they change it to Irish.

All fecking internet semantics. Nobody in the world thinks he's anything but Irish...

My mate is going to the Paddys day show is MSG. Check out youtube for some Duddy and Lee stuff

paul_oshea
08/03/2007, 3:26 PM
ok thanks dodge, they will be getting spammed and nuked later.

bluemovie
08/03/2007, 5:47 PM
I'd love to be going to New York for the show, but will have to make do with BBC showing it on the Sunday night (which is what I meant to post in the first place, but forgot). Haven't seen him in the flesh since I saw him win the nationals. Sounds like a thoroughly decent fella and, like Dunne, has a real appreciation of boxing history.

lim abroad
11/03/2007, 5:00 AM
Got my ticket last night,$320 should be a great night though and paddy's weekend as well

NY Hoop
13/03/2007, 3:09 PM
Seems like a sound lad alright. Hope he makes millions out of it. No better place to make it too.

Must pop into Gleason's next time.

KOH

Jerry The Saint
13/03/2007, 3:41 PM
I'd love to be going to New York for the show, but will have to make do with BBC showing it on the Sunday night (which is what I meant to post in the first place, but forgot). Haven't seen him in the flesh since I saw him win the nationals. Sounds like a thoroughly decent fella and, like Dunne, has a real appreciation of boxing history.

The fight ('Erin go Brawl' :D) is live on Saintanta Sports from 1am.

bluemovie
14/03/2007, 3:02 PM
The fight ('Erin go Brawl' :D) is live on Saintanta Sports from 1am.

Deadly, thanks. I didn't know that. I've to be up at 7am on Saturday. It might be worth staying awake for the night!!

Scram
18/03/2007, 5:50 PM
Steroids of some kind?:D Everything needed in his locker.

Jerry The Saint
18/03/2007, 6:39 PM
Hard to miss the giant Derry City FC flag that was held aloft behind Duddy during his post-fight interview. :)

Maybe this should go in the celebrity supporter thread but I still say Pats have the better pound-for-bound boxer in Bernard Dunne.:D

lofty9
18/03/2007, 7:45 PM
The fight is being shown tonight on BBC1 NI at 10.20pm

daithi
21/03/2007, 10:28 AM
Duddy looked impressive and hopefully he'll go all the way.
Also Andy Lee is really going good, what a knockout against Carl Daniels http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybFsJ4LsW6o

NY Hoop
22/03/2007, 3:58 PM
Hard to miss the giant Derry City FC flag that was held aloft behind Duddy during his post-fight interview. :)

Maybe this should go in the celebrity supporter thread but I still say Pats have the better pound-for-bound boxer in Bernard Dunne.:D

Yeah thought that was great as was the t-shirt he was wearing.

Bonsante paid for not forking out for a cutman though.

Some knockout from Lee though.

KOH

osarusan
22/03/2007, 4:15 PM
Duddy looked impressive and hopefully he'll go all the way.
Also Andy Lee is really going good, what a knockout against Carl Daniels http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybFsJ4LsW6o

a devastating knockout. Not even much windup either, just real power. Although I think Daniels hadnt braced himself for a punch, as he didnt see it at all.

Gotta love the way he fell. Like Delboy.

Real ale Madrid
23/03/2007, 8:38 AM

I thought Bernard Dunne was a Rovers fan?

Dodge
23/03/2007, 8:53 AM
Bernard Dunne doesn't support any team. He's done promo work for Pats and Rovers

Jerry The Saint
23/03/2007, 9:07 AM
Bernard Dunne doesn't support any team.

Like most people, he's just waiting for the bandwagon to get rolling. Give him time...;)

Torn-Ado
27/03/2007, 2:48 PM
Is the Season ticket thing on youtube yet?

I'd like to see it. Seems to the be the Dogs ballacks, our John.

lofty9
20/05/2007, 9:25 PM
Latest Fight on BBC NI now.