PDA

View Full Version : Fanzines banned from grounds?

pineapple stu
07/03/2007, 11:47 PM
On the advice of the club, STIG (the UCD fanzine) will not be on sale inside Belfield Park this season due to FAI oppression. It'll still be on sale outside the ground on the track leading up to the ground (we can't be near the turnstiles either).

Any other fanzines having this problem this year? Maybe we're just getting special treatment because our anti-FAI humour is the best in the league!

Which fanzines are still on the go at the moment? Red Inc, IWOTO - any others? Limerick I think is coming back, Galway were talking about one, Longford, Harps, Drogheda, Pat's and Waterford have had ones in recent years...?

If others are experiencing this problem, I think there needs to be a show of solidarity for supporters running fanzines, the cash from which, needless to say, usually goes directly into the various Supporters' Clubs and ultimately back into the league. I think people should make an extra effort to buy fanzines where possible, or ask for a copy to be bought for them if they're not going to an away game, or order one by post. Show that fans' opinions won't be beaten down by the FAI. (Nothing to do with us wanting more money! :) )

Also, if there are others who are having this problem, we should get each fanzine to carry a section detailing where the fanzines are available so people can make an extra effort to seek them out and buy them.

Personally, I hope to be sending the FAI a letter in the post next week thanking them for boosting our sales, while at the same time sueing them for restraint of trade! :p

Raheny Red
08/03/2007, 12:36 AM
Red Inc. will be on sale at the Dundalk home game!

jebus
08/03/2007, 2:10 AM
I'm currently in the process of putting the final touches to the L37 fanzine and I haven't head a thing about us being banned and honestly if we are I don't know how much support i'll have for the club

strangeirish
08/03/2007, 2:21 AM
Red Inc. will be on sale at the Dundalk home game!
Any bargains on Red Diesel?:D

SÓC
08/03/2007, 2:48 AM
FourFiveOne is gone but our other two fanzines are never sold in the ground anyway, AFAIK it was an agreement with the club who get all the areas nearest the gates and inside to sell programmes

Sumac
08/03/2007, 7:49 AM
From my experience at English grounds the fanzines are generally sold outside the grounds and in nearby pubs
I presume clubs want to make as much revenue as possible from their own programme - Understandable in my opinion

Lim till i die
08/03/2007, 8:03 AM
From my experience at English grounds the fanzines are generally sold outside the grounds and in nearby pubs
I presume clubs want to make as much revenue as possible from their own programme - Understandable in my opinion

Fanzine isn't really competing with a programme tbh though

You'll find more factual information in Charles Haugheys accounts than you will in the L37 Fanzine

More FAI stupidity

Don't know about other SC's but in Limerick the fanzine will definitely be our main source of income. Income which we will use to run buses which will in turn bring us to away games where we will in turn pay in money which will in turn benefit the team we are facing which will in turn benefit the league as a whole

I sense a critical article coming on :rolleyes:

A face
08/03/2007, 8:05 AM
I sense a critical article coming on :rolleyes:

Yeah, if anyone was stuck for content for their next issue, the pages will fill themselves after this. There isn't a hope the FAI will be able to stamp this out.

passerrby
08/03/2007, 9:05 AM
jebus your missing the point limerick like the rest are been told to do this,and proberly face a heafty fine for non compliance

Tis-smeee
08/03/2007, 9:09 AM
Its a rule about two years old, afaik the rule is that all clubs are responsilble for all print available inside and outside the ground on match day, we have had a few probs down hear with it.

Lim till i die
08/03/2007, 9:20 AM
jebus your missing the point limerick like the rest are been told to do this,and proberly face a heafty fine for non compliance

So there'll be no solidarity??

If UCD fans are banned from selling their fanzine and you don't support them you've no right to kick up a fuss when the FAI feels like shafting your club

Pablo
08/03/2007, 9:35 AM
'Zines were never allowed to be sold inside TX

osarusan
08/03/2007, 9:39 AM
Its a rule about two years old, afaik the rule is that all clubs are responsilble for all print available inside and outside the ground on match day, we have had a few probs down hear with it.

Whatever about inside the ground, how can a club be held responsible for what is done outside the ground, on land they dont own (or lease, etc), by people who are not connected to the club in any way?

John83
08/03/2007, 10:23 AM
STIG banned... Maribor fined... foot.ie under threat of legal trouble (http://foot.ie/showthread.php?t=54790)...

Anyone else think that the FAI is on a spring offensive on criticism?

WeAreRovers
08/03/2007, 11:06 AM
STIG banned... Maribor fined... foot.ie under threat of legal trouble (http://foot.ie/showthread.php?t=54790)...

Anyone else think that the FAI is on a spring offensive on criticism?

Of course they are and, yet again, all their expensive PR advice is worthless. This will backfire on them.

Luckily for us, they can't gag fans, even though they're trying their damndest. That's why a fighting fund is so important.

KOH

Jerry The Saint
08/03/2007, 11:26 AM
Interesting that Dolan and Keely are officially involved in the league again. Surely the crackdown on expressing an opinion about certain things will affect their columns in popular tabloid newspapers - which pay them to give their opinion on those very same things. Is this something that the tabloids might be willing to fight or will they meekly take care of any fines that may come their way, to avoid getting in the bad books of the offended organisation? Or get rid of the columnists all together. (Does Keely still write for the Sun?)

Dolan's one-day a week job in Wexford looks like it could significantly hinder his media work. I assume that Scully had to leave eircom League Weekly for this reason. What about Oso - will he get in trouble if he criticises the U-21 league:confused:

OneRedArmy
08/03/2007, 11:31 AM
Interesting that Dolan and Keely are officially involved in the league again. Surely the crackdown on expressing an opinion about certain things will affect their columns in popular tabloid newspapers - which pay them to give their opinion on those very same things. Is this something that the tabloids might be willing to fight or will they meekly take care of any fines that may come their way, to avoid getting in the bad books of the offended organisation? Or get rid of the columnists all together. (Does Keely still write for the Sun?)

Dolan's one-day a week job in Wexford looks like it could significantly hinder his media work. I assume that Scully had to leave eircom League Weekly for this reason. What about Oso - will he get in trouble if he criticises the U-21 league:confused:The organisation in question picks their battles carefully. They are smart enough not to fight bigger, wealthier organisations that will ignore them or fight back and ridicule them further.

Which makes them even more contemptible in my book.

neutrino
08/03/2007, 12:11 PM
and we expect our league to grow under this governance. i dont know what's going on with clubs and authorities. seems league has a new wrapper but same old stuff on the inside. what happened freedom of speech.

i remember trust in sligo started one up last year but such was the opposition it got it folded after just 1 issue. i couldnt believe what i heard went on to stop it. and i remember it was also banned from the ground by the way.

clubs/ etc shouldnt take these things so seriously - fans need to enjoy themselves in supporting teams or else what's the point.

pete
08/03/2007, 12:23 PM
Fanzines are better off being sold outside the ground to maintain their Independence.

RonnieB
08/03/2007, 12:28 PM
It is like 1939 all over again in a certain country.

passerrby
08/03/2007, 12:39 PM
there never has been solidarity between clubs on any matter thats why we are in the mess we are in. we only seem to object when it affects our club.as for the fanzine i coul not give a rats ass there is far bigger issues being ignored

Lim till i die
08/03/2007, 2:06 PM
there never has been solidarity between clubs on any matter thats why we are in the mess we are in. we only seem to object when it affects our club.as for the fanzine i coul not give a rats ass there is far bigger issues being ignored

Thin End of The Wedge.

Next thing a club is getting fined for fans chants or banners that criticise the FAI

Can you not see a problem??

John83
08/03/2007, 2:14 PM
Thin End of The Wedge.

Next thing a club is getting fined for fans chants or banners that criticise the FAI

Rovers got fined last(?) year for one of their fans yelling "Paki" at a UCD player. UCD also got fined for inadequate stewarding. Yes, the FAI actually required that our stewards be psychic and/or prescient.

Lim till i die
08/03/2007, 2:16 PM
Rovers got fined last(?) year for one of their fans yelling "Paki" at a UCD player. UCD also got fined for inadequate stewarding. Yes, the FAI actually required that our stewards be psychic and/or prescient.

:eek: :eek:

Seriously, everyone should stick together on this, they can't shut the whole league down.........

Or have I stumbled across their masterplan. Has anyone seen the Dublin Dons drawings :eek:

jebus
08/03/2007, 2:47 PM
As long as there are no offensive articles/photos in a fanzine I can't see a problem with a clubs SC selling it inside the ground. As LTID said, its hardly in competition with the official programme, the fanzine is a humourous look at things concerning the club, the programme gives you the team information.

As for the FAI, if only Maxi had torched the place when he had the chance ;)

BohsPartisan
08/03/2007, 2:50 PM
As long as there are no offensive articles/photos in a fanzine I can't see a problem with a clubs SC selling it inside the ground.

Whats the point in buying it if it has no offensive articles/photos? ;)

jebus
08/03/2007, 2:56 PM
Whats the point in buying it if it has no offensive articles/photos? ;)

to listen to my inane ramblings about life on this planet?

Thats the L37 Supporters Club out of business then

Sumac
08/03/2007, 3:11 PM
I don't see why someone could not create a fanzine if they so wish. They have no connection to the club (A Fanzine is not an official club publication). You could then sell it in the pubs before and after matches or to fans as they walk to the ground.
People would hear about where they could buy one.
I wouldn't expect it to be allowed to be sold in the ground - That could make the club liable for its contents as they are authorising its sale
By selling it outside the official area you maintain its independence

pineapple stu
08/03/2007, 3:53 PM
Red Inc. will be on sale at the Dundalk home game!Proof if it were needed that it's one rule for Shels and one rule for the rest of the league! :p

I'm currently in the process of putting the final touches to the L37 fanzine and I haven't head a thing about us being banned and honestly if we are I don't know how much support i'll have for the club
Nothing to do with the club; their hands are tied.

I wouldn't expect it to be allowed to be sold in the ground - That could make the club liable for its contents as they are authorising its sale
By selling it outside the official area you maintain its independence
I don't see why selling a fanzine inside the ground impinges its independence. It's got the club's name all over it - together with disclaimers that it's unofficial - so if that doesn't impinge "independence", I don't knoow what does.

The club have never had a problem with the fanzine being sold in the ground before though, which is the point. Now they do, because of the FAI's pressure.

jebus
08/03/2007, 4:35 PM
Nothing to do with the club; their hands are tied.

Fair enough, L37 I take it back :)

passerrby
08/03/2007, 4:41 PM
Thin End of The Wedge.

clubs cannot be fined for chants but otherwise NO

Student Mullet
08/03/2007, 4:47 PM
clubs cannot be fined for chants but otherwise NOBohs were fined for a chant in Belfield last year.

passerrby
08/03/2007, 4:52 PM
incitment to violence, racism and that type of thing is not just chanting and cannot and should not be let pass clubs must be responsible for the behaviour of there fans as in every other league in the world, this is all a seperate issue to fanzines and there contribution to the league.

John83
08/03/2007, 4:58 PM
incitment to violence, racism and that type of thing is not just chanting and cannot and should not be let pass clubs must be responsible for the behaviour of there fans as in every other league in the world, this is all a seperate issue to fanzines and there contribution to the league.
What did Bohs' fans sing that got them fined so?

passerrby
08/03/2007, 5:02 PM
no idea but can bet it was not faith of our fathers

Student Mullet
08/03/2007, 5:05 PM
If there are any Delaney Out chants at the game in Croker will the FAI fine themselves?

On the main point, the worrying thing is that the FAI actually expect this to work. They think that if they come down hard on fanzines and the internet that we'll soon learn our place and that there'll be no more problems.

khoop
08/03/2007, 5:10 PM
the worrying thing is that the FAI actually expect this to work. They think that if they come down hard on fanzines and the internet that we'll soon learn our place and that there'll be no more problems

That isn't worrying - that's absolutely hilarious. I'm greatly looking forward to Delaney sitting in Croke Park trying to pretend that everything is fine, while surrounded by protesting fans. I wonder how he will explain that one to the press.

Dazzy
08/03/2007, 5:19 PM
It was all Maxi

strangeirish
08/03/2007, 6:29 PM
If there are any Delaney Out chants at the game in Croker will the FAI fine themselves?

No, they'll fine the GAA. Now wouldn't that be funny!:D

A face
08/03/2007, 9:13 PM
The FAI (http://carol_fus.tripod.com/eds_lost_nazi_flag.JPEG)are only helping to fill the pages at this stage.

Martinho II
11/03/2007, 12:42 PM
one f in longford fanzine should be ready for the Sligo Rovers game. BUT I never heard of this ruling I better consult the club on this before we sell the fanzine!

Democracy eh?:eek:

RonnieB
11/03/2007, 1:14 PM
I have a team of highly trained underpaid chimps thundering through my contribution ;)

pineapple stu
11/03/2007, 3:04 PM
one f in longford fanzine should be ready for the Sligo Rovers game. BUT I never heard of this ruling I better consult the club on this before we sell the fanzine!

Democracy eh?:eek:
Yeah, you'd want to check. The club (and all clubs, I think) were at a meeting last week where the FAI were telling them what was banned and what wasn't under the new participation agreement. Fanzines were out...

Still, we sold out on Friday, and could well have sold twice what we did had we had them.

A face
11/03/2007, 4:43 PM
Are the FAI (http://www.bibl.u-szeged.hu/bibl/mil/ww2/konyv/b/butler.jpg) going to search every away bus to try and stop them selling? Not a prayer. I could just see them coming into all the pubs around Turners Cross trying to stamp them out. The mileage we'll get out of this will be unreal.

pineapple stu
11/03/2007, 4:50 PM
Are the FAI (http://www.bibl.u-szeged.hu/bibl/mil/ww2/konyv/b/butler.jpg) going to search every away bus to try and stop them selling? Not a prayer. I could just see them coming into all the pubs around Turners Cross trying to stamp them out. The mileage we'll get out of this will be unreal.
:confused:

They're banned for sale inside the ground only. Buses and pubs don't come into it.

The point is that it's not the FAI's place to ban them from grounds; if the clubs concerned don't have any issues, then they should be for sale.