PDA

View Full Version : Drogs Delayed over planning

Buller
07/03/2007, 5:44 PM
Drogs fury at council

The Star - 07.03.07

Drogheda United have asked Meath County Council to accelerate its processing of the club’s plans for its new 10,000 seater stadium.

The Setanta Sports Cup holders want to move to the €30m development by next year and have given the FAI a commitment that the club will quit United Park in the near future.

Meath County Council had indicated that it would consider the plans for the state of the art complex - that’s part of a larger development that includes 5,000 houses and three schools - in the first six months of this year.

However, the local authority now wants to postpone this planning application until late this year or early 2008.

United are incensed by the possible delay of the project and a club spokesman believes that the entire arena might be placed in jeopardy by this local authority move.

Any bets on how many gaah-heads are in Meath County Council?

BohsFans
07/03/2007, 6:50 PM
Looking more and more like Oriel for them next year!

No new ground to move into.

United won't be granted a license beyond this season.

BohsPartisan
07/03/2007, 7:08 PM
Actually with Dalymount not be closer for them ?

Actually Tolka would be closer as of course would be Santry Siro but I've heard talk of them looking to play in Dalyer next year. Fan talk only mind.

OneRedArmy
07/03/2007, 7:45 PM
What a surprise! Some Drogs fans got all angry and in denial about a month ago when the likelihood of ths happening was pointed out on here.

They surely knew this was on the cards when the ground suddenly became tied into a multi-billion euro landbank development that needed revision to the area development plan.

I predict Derry will start work on the Brandywell before Drogs turn a sod at their place (and neither of those statements are particularly positive in the grand scheme of things).

CollegeTillIDie
07/03/2007, 7:48 PM
Is there anyone living within an asses roar of the new site ? Are they( i.e. DUFC) the victims of NIMBYism?

Magicme
07/03/2007, 7:57 PM
my brother lives close by and he is dead excited about the development and he isnt a drogs fan. He just thinks its great that there is gonna be a top notch sports facility in his area.

OneRedArmy
07/03/2007, 8:24 PM
Is there anyone living within an asses roar of the new site ? Are they( i.e. DUFC) the victims of NIMBYism?The stadium forms part of what is basically a new town. Therefoe the planning and infrastructure considerations are huge.

Rossi
07/03/2007, 8:38 PM
yeah the whole complex is huge.Includes alot of new houses which is what is holding the situation.Apparently its mostly certain people on the council purposely holding things up which is a load of boll*x

kdjaC
07/03/2007, 8:38 PM
The stadium forms part of what is basically a new town. Therefoe the planning and infrastructure considerations are huge.

Ssshhhh

Drogs ridden rock solid by gaa fans sounds much better :D

kdjac

Louth4sam
07/03/2007, 8:40 PM
Could be bad news for Drogs their owner said
"By pushjing the project back 18 months to two years in would effectively result in Drogheda United losing their playing licence, putting the club out of the League and out of Business. We can finance the club for another year but time is running out"
"It is costing us 50,000 a week - every week we loose"

If worse came to worst could they not just do up utd park? Surely there is something they could do. We all new the bubble was going to burst but i didnt think it would be this soon.

HulaHoop
07/03/2007, 8:55 PM
"It is costing us 50,000 a week - every week we loose"

Exactly who is forcing them to spend 50k a week? Why can't they just run the club on a sensible budget i.e. only spending what is taken in? The similarities with Shels is frightening.

OneRedArmy
07/03/2007, 9:16 PM
Exactly who is forcing them to spend 50k a week? Why can't they just run the club on a sensible budget i.e. only spending what is taken in? The similarities with Shels is frightening.Exactly. No doubt moving to a new ground will increase revenue, but hardly by that much.

blackholesun
07/03/2007, 10:02 PM
you can bet your bottom dollar that the local bogball bigots will be doing everything they can the stall, delay, hinder and block any such stadium!!!!

sad but true ...

bhs

andrew1977
08/03/2007, 10:39 AM
The town of Drogheda is expaning at such a huge rate, it need a decent football stadium to attract the youth and local families to the ground and give them an interest in a local team .
Drogheda do spend crazy money per week on wages etc and i recall in the early 90's when they had plenty of cash they almost went to the wall.
Hopefully another repeat aint on the cards

Rossi
08/03/2007, 4:36 PM
This is taken from the official website-

Message from Vincent Hoey – Chairman Drogheda United.

Over the past two years Drogheda United have been putting together a plan for a Sports Village incorporating a new 10,000 seater Stadium with all modern facilities, A leisure Complex including Astro Turf Pitches, a Swimming Pool, Tennis Courts, Basketball Courts, Gymnasium, a Multiplex Cinema and twenty acres of sports fields which will be the site of a Football Academy with FAI approval for the region.

The stadium has been assured of approval for Under 21 and Under 18 Internationals which will have Sky Sports coverage.

The Stadium will of course be available for the playing of European and UEFA Cup matches. All of the above is being provided following lengthy negotiations by the developer in conjunction with a new road and housing development. I emphasise that the facilities will be open to all sports.

This is a unique and visionary project that will be a jewel in the North East. It will give the youth a place to enjoy healthy pastimes in modern conditions.

The lands have been acquired.

The Developer has been sourced.

The finance is guaranteed.

The builder is ready to start work.

For me it is a dream ready to come true. The project will cost 35 million. The Meath Co. Co. are being asked to support a variation in the Development plan to enable us to proceed. Time is of the essence. If the County Councillors do not support this then the whole development will be put in jeopardy. The future of Drogheda United and all its plans is in the hands of the County Councillors. The club must vacate its present ground at the end of this season and wont be given a UEFA licence. It consequently will be out of football. The councilors need to be assured of the public support for this project.

In the first instance the necessary variation requires the approval of the 5 East Meath Councillors.

Please contact your area Councillor and indicate your support. The meeting of the five Councillors is next Wednesday 14th March.

Please Act Now. Play your part in making this dream become a reality.

Thank you for your help and support.

Below please find the list of East Meath Councillors.

Address and Email Address
Phone Numbers

Patrick Boshell
Laytown Rd., Julianstown (F.F.)
E-Mail: pboshell@members.meathcoco.ie
041-9829264 (h)
041-9887438 (w)
087-7543537 (mobile)

Jimmy Cudden
23 St. Cianan's Villas, Duleek (Non-Party)
E-Mail: jcudden@members.meathcoco.ie
041-9823353 (H)
086-8246484 (mobile)

Anne Dillon-Gallagher
Loughbracken, Drumconrath, Navan (F.G.)
E-Mail: adgallagher@members.meathcoco.ie
041-6854487 (h)

086 - 8800866

Dominic Hannigan
Burrows Hall, Golf Links Road, Bettystown, Co. Meath(labour)
E-mail: info@dominichannigan.com
041 988 6307 (advice centre)

087 641 8960

Tom Kelly

Ui Maine,Laytown (G.P.)
E-Mail: tkelly@members.meathcoco.ie
01-6797168

086-3817700

Demonstrate your support by contacting......

Drogheda Independent have Your say Text 086 - 848 6098
Drogheda Independent Letters letters@drogheda-independent.ie

Meath Chronicle Letters ken@meathchronicle.ie

Drogheda Leader Letters droghedaleader@eircom.net

Meath Weekender tebitto@indigo.ie

LMFM Loose Talk Comment Line 1850 715 958

LMFM 24 Hour Comment Line is 1850365958

pete
08/03/2007, 4:47 PM
I hate to say I say I told you so but Planning Permission is very long difficult process in this country especially for green field sites. I seem to remember Drogs fans on here recently saying stadium would be ready to start 2008 season. I never remember hearing the stadium part of plan to 5000 houses?

2.6m budget on average crowds of 1500 is Shels like insanity! I would be very surprised if revenues greater than 1.5m.

When will clubs learn that you can't buy the league & survive? (excluding Bohs when they have 50m in the bank to buy next 30 league titles).

I wonder are the Drogs Directors (I believe they are builders/developers) looking to recup their own Investment in Drogs on the profits from the houses? :confused:

Cosmo
08/03/2007, 5:53 PM
Nothing has been 100% decided yet.

John Delaney and Vincent Hoey will be on LMFM in the morning talking about this!!

Expect Drogheda United to fight this til the death

Celdrog
08/03/2007, 6:45 PM
I hate to say I say I told you so .......... I wonder are the Drogs Directors (I believe they are builders/developers) looking to recup their own Investment in Drogs on the profits from the houses? :confused:

No Pete you love to say I told you so. No offence but I'll take the word of Vincent Hoey before you.

Get your facts right as well. Drogheda United (nor its directors) have anything to do with the housing. Their involvement is around the sports village.

Anyway when it all falls through and we cease to be a club in a couple of years we can all reminisce about the days when we wouldn't allow Cork to win any finals against us.
Just like Cork Alberts/Hibs/United/Celtic are currently doing. When we get a winding up order I'll start worrying.

Macy
08/03/2007, 7:39 PM
When we get a winding up order I'll start worrying.
We're all just J€A£OU$.

pete
08/03/2007, 8:34 PM
When we get a winding up order I'll start worrying.

Thats what the Shels fans said last season.

Celdrog
08/03/2007, 8:40 PM
Thats what the Shels fans said last season.
And they had every reason to worry. :confused: