PDA

View Full Version : Thursday Fixtures

finnpark
07/03/2007, 2:08 PM
Dundalk vs Finn Harps .

This could be a 6 pointer really as both these teams are likely to be in the top 2. Report below from www.finnharps.com .

Dundalk v Finn Harps – Oriel Park, Thursday 8th March 2007 – kick-off 7.45pm

Preview by Joe Doherty

New Manager Paul Hegarty takes charge of Finn Harps for the first time in a competitive game tomorrow night (Thursday 8th March) as he takes his new look side to Oriel Park to take on First Division favourites Dundalk as the new eircom League of Ireland First Division season kicks-off. The new boss has worries on his first day in the Harps hotseat as he may have to plan without two key players.

Harps go into the game with doubts over the fitness of right-back Eloka Asokuh. The Nigerian picked up an ankle injury in the pre-season victory over Sligo Rovers last weekend and if he misses out Shaun McGowan is on standby to take his place. New signing Gordon Simms will link up with the returning Declan Boyle in the centre of defence with Jonathan Minnock slotting into his favoured left back spot. James Gallagher is likely to retain the number one shirt which he made his own last season.

In midfield, Hegarty again has a major problem as new signing Shaun Holmes is ineligible. Who takes his place on the left remains to be seen, with Matthew Crossan and John O'Loughlin among the favourites. In the centre of the park, newly appointed club captain Tony Shields will partner Michael Funston. Chris Breen and Barry Curran are likely to battle it out for the right-sided midfield slot.

Stephen Parkhouse, who signed during the winter months from Irish League side Limavady United, is likely to partner Conor Gethins in attack. Gethins spent the second half of last season on loan with Galway United.

In the two games at Oriel Park between the sides last season, Harps had the better of the results – winning the first meeting 3-1 while the second game finished in a 1-1 draw. It's a very new looking Harps side to that of the one that played Dundalk on the final day of last season with only James Gallagher, Shaun McGowan, Jonathan Minnock and Michael Funston likely to start the game on Thursday from the team that played against the Lilywhites last November.

Mr A
07/03/2007, 2:17 PM
Note that Harps have also been hit by the FIFA directive that does not allow players to play for 3 clubs in a year as Sean Holmes played for Glentoran and Derry City last season. Full story- www.finnharps.com

Anto McC
07/03/2007, 4:40 PM
6 pointer

Anyone else hate this saying?

I reckon it'll be a Dundalk win,the home advantage will push it in their favour.

finnpark
07/03/2007, 5:16 PM

I reckon it'll be a Dundalk win,the home advantage will push it in their favour.

Its hard to know. Holmes will be a huge loss but I think Harps will get at least a draw from this one. It will certainly be interesting as its the meeting of the 2 best sides in the 1st division.:ball:

finnpark
07/03/2007, 5:17 PM
Note that Harps have also been hit by the FIFA directive that does not allow players to play for 3 clubs in a year as Sean Holmes played for Glentoran and Derry City last season. Full story- www.finnharps.com

Does this mean he is still a Derry City player? :eek:

Dazzy
07/03/2007, 6:13 PM
Does this mean he is still a Derry City player? :eek:

It makes him unemployed.

dcfcsteve
07/03/2007, 8:38 PM
You mean the league starts tomorrow !?!

Happy days - I thought we had to wait another 24hrs after that. It's like hearing Christmas will fall on the 24th for a change...... :D

don ramo
07/03/2007, 11:19 PM
It makes him unemployed.

and that is why FIFA have to stop this rulle for clubs that play summer soccer, under actual law you cannot stop someone from obtaing work, laws are above sporting rules,:ball: :ball: :ball:

Raheny Red
08/03/2007, 12:34 AM

Not really, but when it's used for the first game of the season...............:eek: :rolleyes:

oriel
08/03/2007, 12:16 PM
This will be our 2,000th lge game, plenty of pre match entertainment on, Harps fans attending, not only is that hotel across from the ground closed for re-development, so is the closest pub 'the railway', so I`m afraid the town centre is your only option for a pre match pint, unless you`re going to the stand as the main bar should be open before kick off. Half time - use the upstairs bar - quicker to get served !

ps that wimpy chipper + shop outside the ground is still open.

enjoy the game

carrickharp
08/03/2007, 12:46 PM
This will be our 2,000th lge game, plenty of pre match entertainment on, Harps fans attending, not only is that hotel across from the ground closed for re-development, so is the closest pub 'the railway', so I`m afraid the town centre is your only option for a pre match pint, unless you`re going to the stand as the main bar should be open before kick off. Half time - use the upstairs bar - quicker to get served !

ps that wimpy chipper + shop outside the ground is still open.

enjoy the game

Cheers for the info, what time will the bar in the stand be open at(after we get the oul Wimpey burger first!!)?

marley
08/03/2007, 12:48 PM
it opens at 6 o clock as far as I know

Mr A
08/03/2007, 6:59 PM
Conor Gethins scores the first goal of the New League as Harps lead 1-0 at Oriel Park. Big crowd there and a very good atmosphere.

finnpark
08/03/2007, 6:59 PM
Latest Score in this 6 pointer: Dundalk 0 Finn Harps 1 :ball:

Gethins after just 6 minutes getting the 1st goal of 2007.

harpstilidie
08/03/2007, 7:03 PM
Get in there!!!! Go on gethins!!!! :D

Gareth
08/03/2007, 7:50 PM
Well done Mr Gethins!!! An honour to score the first ever goal in a new league eh!!

Mr A
08/03/2007, 8:28 PM
2-2 now...

Mr A
08/03/2007, 8:34 PM
3-2 Dundalk, 3 minutes to go.

Gareth
08/03/2007, 8:34 PM
Looks like a cracker!!

dancinpants
08/03/2007, 8:35 PM
2-2 now...

Who got Harps equaliser? Ain't up on aertel yet?

Edit* 3-2 and aertel still have it as 2-1. The more things change the more they stay the same I s'pose.

Mr A
08/03/2007, 8:37 PM
That's FT now. Great game, turned when Curran was sent off for kicking the ball away.

Mr A
08/03/2007, 8:38 PM
Parkhouse equalized for Harps, can't recall who got the Dundalk winner.

DmanDmythDledge
08/03/2007, 8:41 PM
Williams, Hughes and Flanagan got the goals for Dundalk, with Flanagan getting the winner in injury time.

dcfcsteve
08/03/2007, 9:36 PM
What was the crowd roughly ?

Ahhhh - it's great to have the football back......... :D

:ball:

Louth4sam
08/03/2007, 10:14 PM
It was around 2500. Good crowd for the start of the season. Poor enough match even though there was a few goals. Finn harps were good. A draw probably would have been a fair result

oriel
09/03/2007, 7:47 AM
Finn Harps were a lot stronger that I thought, very well organsided side and they`ll do well this season. They deserved a draw no question about it. We were very lucky to win especially after a dreadful first half performace, but we did score 3 very good goals. Very entertaining second half. Would agree with 2,500 crowd

Dodge
09/03/2007, 8:04 AM
I'd guess half the crowd just turned up for Maxi :D

Sam_Heggy
09/03/2007, 11:05 AM
the guys at half time were great. keepy uppy comp.

we look solid enough and gethins looked sharp and sheilds is quality in mid really got stuck in.