PDA

View Full Version : Life on Mars

jebus
06/03/2007, 9:52 PM
Anyone watch this show? Great to have a proper 70s style cop show back on TV, although it's odd that Auntie Beeb has commisioned something that at times is very, very un-PC. Really makes you wish you grew up back in the 70s, when men were men, aids didn't exist and you could cave a Leeds United fans face in with a claw hammer without the PC brigade getting their backs up about Leeds fans being human beings too :p

Lim till i die
06/03/2007, 9:57 PM
Anyone watch this show? Great to have a proper 70s style cop show back on TV, although it's odd that Auntie Beeb has commisioned something that at times is very, very un-PC. Really makes you wish you grew up back in the 70s, when men were men, aids didn't exist and you could cave a Leeds United fans face in with a claw hammer without the PC brigade getting their backs up about Leeds fans being human beings too :p

It's great stuff man watched a bit of it tonight, better times so they were :)

Not sure I'd class it as a musical though ;)

jebus
06/03/2007, 10:01 PM
It's great stuff man watched a bit of it tonight, better times so they were :)

Not sure I'd class it as a musical though ;)

Darn, could I get a mod in to move this over to off topic?

sligoman
06/03/2007, 10:09 PM
Darn, could I get a mod in to move this over to off topic?Done.

Lim till i die
06/03/2007, 10:15 PM
Done.

Don't you have any opinions on Life On Mars?? :mad: :p

sligoman
06/03/2007, 10:16 PM
Don't you have any opinions on Life On Mars?? :mad: :pWell they did find water on it so I'd say yeah, their is life on Mars!:p

cheifo
07/03/2007, 12:22 AM
:D Very witty.

Magicme
07/03/2007, 8:47 AM
Its a prog I wish had gotten into from start coz now not sure I can watch it!

CollegeTillIDie
07/03/2007, 9:04 AM
Don't you have any opinions on Life On Mars?? :mad: :p

It's a God awful small affair to the girl with the mousey hair... apparently :D

Magicme
07/03/2007, 9:05 AM
It's a God awful small affair to the girl with the mousey hair... apparently :D

:D very good!

gustavo
07/03/2007, 9:23 AM
Loved the show from day one , they give Philip Glenister all the best lines ! Cant wait to see what the outcome will be.

Magicme
07/03/2007, 9:54 AM
Whats the name of the guy who stars in it again? Hubba hubba!

paul_oshea
07/03/2007, 10:00 AM
this isnt that crap show on bbc, where he says "its not the ira" boom boom a car blows up?! never saw a worse show in a long time. even my actor flatmates say the same!!!

First
07/03/2007, 10:46 AM
this isnt that crap show on bbc, where he says "its not the ira" boom boom a car blows up?! never saw a worse show in a long time. even my actor flatmates say the same!!!

Its bad when you have to hire actors to be your flatmates:)

noby
07/03/2007, 10:52 AM
You employ people to act as your flatmates?

It's not a bad show. There seems to be more of the 'how did I get here' element creeping into it. It would have been braver, and possibly better, to just do a straight 70's cop show, and not using this coma/time travel/dream thing as the excuse. A seedier Heartbeat, if you will.

First
07/03/2007, 12:59 PM
You employ people to act as your flatmates?

It's not a bad show. There seems to be more of the 'how did I get here' element creeping into it. It would have been braver, and possibly better, to just do a straight 70's cop show, and not using this coma/time travel/dream thing as the excuse. A seedier Heartbeat, if you will.

The point of the coma/ dream / time travel is relevant that he is bringing todays policing to the time. Maybe they'll do an episode where he can prove that the Birmingham Six and Guildford 4 were innocent, now that would be brave.

Babysis
07/03/2007, 6:16 PM
Whats the name of the guy who stars in it again? Hubba hubba!

Its John Simm and he is even nicer in person - He drinks in my local from time to time;) . Like you I wish Id watched it from the start

Magicme
07/03/2007, 6:26 PM
Thats right! John Simm....hubba hubba....ok here's the plan.....next time you see him in the pub, hit him over the head and put him in a coma and bring him over here....we can share him and convince him he was always in a hippie commune!

Babysis
07/03/2007, 6:28 PM
Thats right! John Simm....hubba hubba....ok here's the plan.....next time you see him in the pub, hit him over the head and put him in a coma and bring him over here....we can share him and convince him he was always in a hippie commune!

Sounds like a plan :D Few of the ones from teachers, brookside and the bill drink in there too. Seem fairly sound.

Magicme
07/03/2007, 6:30 PM
Sounds like a plan :D Few of the ones from teachers, brookside and the bill drink in there too. Seem fairly sound.

Do you live in a mega posh area?? Naw John will do.....for now....I get bored quickly! :eek:

Babysis
07/03/2007, 6:36 PM
Do you live in a mega posh area?? Naw John will do.....for now....I get bored quickly! :eek:

Nah, but North London is a bit of a magnet for soap actors it seems!

noby
07/02/2008, 8:49 AM
New series starting tonight 'Ashes to Ashes'. This time a woman gets transported back to 1981.
DCI Gene Hunt is still there, and the potential for loads of early eighties references - should be good.

John83
07/02/2008, 11:15 AM
Oh Christ, what's next, Space Oddity, where a man gets transported into the future? Let's Dance, where celebrities... sorry, already done.

noby
07/02/2008, 11:32 AM
'Tin Machine', where a man is transported into a backwater of mediocrity, with a bunch of talentless nobodys.

Block G Raptor
07/02/2008, 11:35 AM
'Tin Machine', where a man is transported into a backwater of mediocrity, with a bunch of talentless nobodys.

With Steve Staunton to play the lead role

SaucyJack
07/02/2008, 12:58 PM
they started to play Life on Mars on BBC America a couple of months, pretty good, they play back to back episodes, unfortunately they play crap like Coupling also.

superfrank
07/02/2008, 9:14 PM
Didn't think it was as good as Life On Mars. Philip Glenister is still great though, if not as original anymore.

Bondvillain
07/02/2008, 9:40 PM
Didn't think it was as good as Life On Mars. Philip Glenister is still great though, if not as original anymore.

(Edit : Spoilers in case anyones taped it, and gives out because they didnt want to know anything)

Aye. The 'Armed bástards' line was a stroke of genius the first time, amusing the second time, but regurgitated here for a third time, it's just tired.

A different show to LOM, and, typical of the Eighties, it's very stylised.

Plus points are that the music is still good, and Glenister is still on form, if now just a caricature of himself as Gene Hunt. Nice to see Zippy from Rainbow cast against type as a slightly creepy dream sequence policeman too. A career as a villain in Guy Richie movies surely awaits.

The bad points? Characterisation has seemingly been chucked out the window to be replaced with Yuppie 80s stereotypes , and the subtle humour of LOM has been lumpenly replaced with broad farce (Witness A) the Beverly Hills Cop canal gunfight to see Chris in all his goofy Judge Reinhold glory & B) The follow-on 'Miami Vice pastiche complete with Uzi's and a speedboat. Or rather : dont, you'd be better off.) Oh and The big peirot Doll man from the Bowie video isn't half as menacing as the test card girl from Life on mars. Frankly he's very unscary indeed.

Worth a second look mind. I'll tune in again next week.

Pauro 76
08/02/2008, 6:53 AM
Saw it last time. I'd only ever seen one episode of Life on Mars so the flashbacks didnt make much sense. Loved the nostalgia though. And the odd pop at the 80's too.

'He rang using a callcard? Flash git'

noby
08/02/2008, 7:10 AM
BV is right about the lack of subtlety in some of the jokes. Hopefully it'll settle down a little after the first episode. Although some of the LOM references weren't very subtle.
On the plus point the main character is straight away aware of the situation she finds herself in. There's no need for her, or the audience, to be tip-toeing around; that was done the first time round. She's straight into how to get out of this situation.

Hopefully the 'Yuppie 80s stereotypes' was just for the storyline in this episode.

Macy
08/02/2008, 7:15 AM
It's great to see Zoe from spooks on tele again. I thought it was okay - it's never going to match the original but was entertaining enough to watch. tbh not really up against much on a Thursday evening though.

Sligo Hornet
08/02/2008, 7:40 AM
It's great to see Zoe from spooks on tele again. I thought it was okay - it's never going to match the original but was entertaining enough to watch. tbh not really up against much on a Thursday evening though.

Thanks a million Macy!.......I've been wracking my brains trying to remember where I saw her before!:)

Agreed entertaining...but as you say couldn't be as good s the original as "the cat is out of the bag"