PDA

View Full Version : Singing Last Night during Setanta

fbtn
06/03/2007, 10:25 AM
Now, I don't want to start a whole row on this BUT....

Did anyone else hear the choice of songs and chants from last nights Belfast Derby?

Absolutely disgraceful and both clubs should be fined heavily.

BohsPartisan
06/03/2007, 10:26 AM
What were they singing?

MariborKev
06/03/2007, 10:27 AM
The hokey - cokey in Ulster Scots.....

I hear a few Richie Kavanagh tunes got an airing as well!

Lim till i die
06/03/2007, 10:28 AM
What were they singing?

Right Said Fred and the Nolan Sisters mainly

BohsPartisan
06/03/2007, 10:31 AM
I hear a few Richie Kavanagh tunes got an airing as well!

Fined? They should be shot!!! :D

Jerry The Saint
06/03/2007, 10:57 AM
The hokey - cokey in Ulster Scots.....

Tha Hookey-Cookey? :confused:

Tazskool
06/03/2007, 11:11 AM
It could be worse!! It could have been "Itsy Weeny Yellow Polka dot Bikini" or "I'm too sexy"

Magicme
06/03/2007, 11:17 AM
Tha Hookey-Cookey? :confused:

Leave our manager out of it!

Aaron
06/03/2007, 12:01 PM
I also heard mention of the IRA. Once again dont want to start a row but hopefully it was in the minority

Lim till i die
06/03/2007, 12:04 PM
I also heard mention of the IRA. Once again dont want to start a row but hopefully it was in the minority

Those bloody Linfield fans and their Provo sympathies :p

David
06/03/2007, 12:58 PM
It actually wasn't too bad last night I felt but anything at all of this nature is too much. Believe me, we are working on this.

Block G Raptor
06/03/2007, 1:07 PM
I also heard mention of the IRA.

Must have been shel's infiltrators. defunct fan's of a defunct club singing about a defunct organisation

Shels they havn't gone away you know!:D

dcfcsteve
06/03/2007, 4:47 PM
The Billy Boys

Rule Britannia

At least one song I'm not familiar with that references the Pope and the IRA.

Welcome to the occassional but not infrequent joys of Irish League football people. I can't work out why City would never want to go back.......

BohsFans
06/03/2007, 5:17 PM
The Billy Boys

Rule Britannia

At least one song I'm not familiar with that references the Pope and the IRA.

Welcome to the occassional but not infrequent joys of Irish League football people. I can't work out why City would never want to go back.......

I see what you mean!

We played DC in a friendly in Belfast recently and some of the Bohs.TV lads did an interview with their chairman! Have a look (4mins):

qDKb-v2sQWw

OneRedArmy
06/03/2007, 5:45 PM
It actually wasn't too bad last night I felt but anything at all of this nature is too much. Believe me, we are working on this.
TV picked up on it and it came across very loudly.

Its obvious Linfield and a few other clubs are working hard on it and have had some success, as I'm sure you would agree David there are less people singing the objectionable songs less frequently (note to Steve: Rule Britannia is not offensive, its just gay!) but its hard to see how its going to be irradicated totally.

SwanVsDalton
06/03/2007, 8:27 PM
Agreed. Without seeming flippant, this type of sectarian antagonism is going to be present for the forseeable future. Attitudes arn't going to change overnight and I prefer to dwell on the positives like the often impeccable behaviour of those fans when facing Eircom League sides.

David
06/03/2007, 8:57 PM
TV picked up on it and it came across very loudly.

Its obvious Linfield and a few other clubs are working hard on it and have had some success, as I'm sure you would agree David there are less people singing the objectionable songs less frequently (note to Steve: Rule Britannia is not offensive, its just gay!) but its hard to see how its going to be irradicated totally.

Without a doubt there has been some success but it is absolutely gutting to see this happen at all when some of us have put so much hard work into eradicating it. Believe me though we will not stop until it has gone completely. I believe that when Derry come to Windsor a Linfield ID card will be needed to puchase a ticket. Hopefully this will prevent some who just turn up to this big games coming and spewing their filth. It may mean a lesser crowd but so be it, I would rather that than see the name of our club dragged through the mud. You have no idea how disheartening this is.

David
06/03/2007, 9:02 PM
Agreed. Without seeming flippant, this type of sectarian antagonism is going to be present for the forseeable future. Attitudes arn't going to change overnight and I prefer to dwell on the positives like the often impeccable behaviour of those fans when facing Eircom League sides.

Cheers for that. The thing is that on the whole only genuine supporters get tickets for away games, although a few dodgy characters it seemed did get into Drogheda last week. There will be no problem whatsoever with our genuine supporters. They are all aware of the work that has went into this. The problem comes when for example Derry City come to Windsor and people who are normally never near Windsor decide to trun up as they see it as an opportunity to taunt "the other side" because of the perceived religious make up of the Derry City support. They simply are so imbecelic that they do not see how contradictory it is to sing the Billy Boys one minute and Paul McAreavey's name the next minute.

Anto McC
06/03/2007, 9:04 PM
Shels they havn't gone away you know!:D

Nor has the e in haven't.

TheBoss
06/03/2007, 11:56 PM
Does it not annoy us Irish, when the Liverpool fans sing the ''Fields of Athenry'' theme, and even worse put their own words to it.

dcfcsteve
07/03/2007, 12:07 AM
Does it not annoy us Irish, when the Liverpool fans sing the ''Fields of Athenry'' theme, and even worse put their own words to it.

:confused:

cheifo
07/03/2007, 12:14 AM
Its going to be a tough job to totally eradicate this in the short term but I think supporters of EL are aware of the efforts of these clubs to eliminate it.
These people should get themselves along to the old firm match at the weekend , they would be more welcome there.

Dr.Nightdub
07/03/2007, 12:45 AM
I only saw the last 20 minutes or so of the first half but one thing that surprised me was the ovation Conor Downey got from the Linfield fans when he went off. OK, maybe a lot of the surprise is down to my own preconception of Linfield fans but it was a pleasant eye-opener for me.

Can't really see the point of anyone singing the Billy Boys at a Linfield-Glentoran match, unless there's some kind of bizarre competition to out-Prod each other (no offence).

Mind you, it wasn't as silly as our scrotes singing "What's it like to have a queen?" at the Portadown fans last week. I was kinda hoping they'd respond with "We're quite chuffed about it actually"

Pablo Escobar
07/03/2007, 7:29 AM
:confused:

Couldn't have put it better myself :D

BohsPartisan
07/03/2007, 7:56 AM

At least they don't insert "Sinn Féin, IRA" Like some of the muppets who turned up to the Drogheda game with tricolor jester hats and Celtic jerseys last week. Any EL team's fans singing The Fields of... is just sad, except maybe Galway. Rule Britania is just funny at this stage. They don't even rule Scotland anymore.

reder
07/03/2007, 10:27 AM

Not half as annoying as the irish with their tri-colour wrapped around them before after and during them game. FYI, the fields of anfield road was originally sung in the late 70's but only became popular again in 2001.

Also I think it would be rather silly for liverpool fans to sing to words to your version of the song. They would be a little out of context, dont you agree????

Rhetorical question : If I go to an EL game on friday can I bring a union jack with me and walk round the place with it wrapped around me? Or maybe I will bring a union jack or nice big Liverpool banner to the Wales game and hang it over some EL clubs banner in the ground.

dcfcsteve
07/03/2007, 11:02 AM
I only saw the last 20 minutes or so of the first half but one thing that surprised me was the ovation Conor Downey got from the Linfield fans when he went off. OK, maybe a lot of the surprise is down to my own preconception of Linfield fans but it was a pleasant eye-opener for me.

Outside of perhaps one Israeli side, I don't think there's any team in the world who's fans wouldn't recognise the efforts of their players on the basis of their religion.

Can't really see the point of anyone singing the Billy Boys at a Linfield-Glentoran match, unless there's some kind of bizarre competition to out-Prod each other (no offence).

There is a 'super prod' tendancy at Linfield-Glens games. For some reason, the lead in this usually seems to come more from the Glens fans than Linfield to me, though that could just be perception. It seemed to be almost entirely Linfield fans on Monday.

Mind you, it wasn't as silly as our scrotes singing "What's it like to have a queen?" at the Portadown fans last week. I was kinda hoping they'd respond with "We're quite chuffed about it actually"

That's just tragic - those lads clearly haven't grasped the less-than-subtle nature of football banter.

What next : "What's it like to have good jobs....?" :o

dcfcsteve
07/03/2007, 11:08 AM
Rule Britania is just funny at this stage. They don't even rule Scotland anymore.

Really ? :confused: You might weant to tell the government of the 'United kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland' that they can no longer include Scotland in that !

Just because Scotland can play with things like education (which they always could any way) and health care doesn't mean they're still not an integral part of the UK. Also - 'Rule Britannia' refers directly to Defence/Foreign Affairs ("Britannia rules the waves"), which are still firmly under the cxontrol of Westminster.

Though it is a comical song. Someday, they'll sing songs that are more about Northern Ireland and less about a concept of 'Britishness' that even Britain itself is turning its back on slowly.

Lim till i die
07/03/2007, 11:15 AM

It's not even half as annoying or pathetic as Munster Rugby "fans" singing it without changing the words

Ammmmm. It's in Galway lads :rolleyes:

TonyD
07/03/2007, 10:04 PM
Not half as annoying as the irish with their tri-colour wrapped around them before after and during them game.

You're dead right. It's tragic behaviour really.

Lux Interior
10/03/2007, 12:14 AM
There is a 'super prod' tendancy at Linfield-Glens games. For some reason, the lead in this usually seems to come more from the Glens fans than Linfield to me, though that could just be perception. It seemed to be almost entirely Linfield fans on Monday.

:rolleyes:

Bizarre in the extreme. And utterly wide of the mark.

Our support have virtually cleaned up the bad exesses of the 70s (Ballybofey)and 80s (1988 League Cup Final) and usually just jeer when Linfield fans strike up their repertoire. Their right on working-class-prod-torch-carrying means little to most Glens lads.

I was, however, disappointed that a section of our support berated arch-thug McAreavey with "durty feenyan *******" chant.

Althouh I think we've travelled well in the Setanta, there were a few 'faces' at Tolka last year, who ended up jousting with each other.