PDA

View Full Version : Don't Overreact

avvenalaf
05/03/2007, 2:44 PM
Well, trouble at mill, but nowt add 'bout that. The immediate 'sack the board' brigade comes out as if the appointment of Rob McDonald was the first disastrous appointment made in the history of Sligo Rovers FC.
Lets have a look at what this board has achieved. They took over when The Great Don was making us the laughing stock of the country and we were sinking in debt. In every year since, improvemnet has been made, on and off the pitch and the debt has been reduced annually. Now, Mr. Connor, for whom, apparently Sir Alex Ferguson is holding a job, says the Board would not match his ambition for the club. What he means is that the board would not allow the club to be made a Shelbourne in pursuit of one ego.
Sligo Rovers is one of the best run clubs in the league. If you don't think so, ask Limerick, Waterford, Shamrock Rovers and Shelbourne fans what they think.
OK, we're in a total mess at the moment but no worse than we've been in before. we have a preseason of sorts done, we have players signed and we SHOULD have enough about us to stay in the Premier League.
What we really need to examine is the background to Rob McDonald's appointment, given his very short stay at previous clubs and ask was he not made aware of the Conor O'Grady situation before he issued the full time edict.
So, where do we go now? Well, that's a matter for the management committee but all I will say is that if either Gavin Dykes or Roddy Collins is appointed to the post, I will not stand at a Rovers match while they are in charge - and that includes a Champions League Final.

south sligo red
05/03/2007, 2:56 PM
Agree fully with avvenalaf. We are in a bit of mess right now but its not as if its turmoil both on & off the pitch! Still rather be a rovers fan rite now than a longford or shelbourne fan!

GloryNights
05/03/2007, 3:18 PM
'as if the appointment of Rob McDonald was the first disastrous appointment made in the history of Sligo Rovers FC.'

Do you think Sligo Rovers should keep making these disasterous appointments and more to the point do you think the loyal supporters should just accept them and let the respective boards keep making them in the hope that one day we'll get a decent one for a year or two cos I certainly don't. A board with a decent knowledge of the game who also have a sense of what its like to be a supporter should be appointed in order that they can give the necessary support to a manager that will maybe stay for more than a season or two.

Agreed that the board has done very well in reducing debt but as for the improved fortunes on the pitch, that was down to one man, Sean Connor and i'm afraid i have to agree with him that the board lacked ambition. The reason being that after stabilising the clubs debt coupled with the clubs improved fortunes on the pitch the club should have been building on that by increasing the budget which would attract players of a higher calibre and from that you expect further success on the pitch. Further success on the pitch would be met with increased gates, more merchandise sales and a higher profile for the club which would in turn would increase revenue at the club and help sustain the success. The reason the clubs you mentioned are failing financially is because they have F all fans to help finances, but we do. It seems to me the board have just sat on their laurels and tried to accept mid table obscurity while trying to avoid relegation.

As for our pre-season, that was shocking, our only good results came against poor junior sides, against half decent opposition we were found out.

Getting to your point about the background to his appointment. If there was an obvious reason to his short stays at previous clubs, shouldn't the board have been aware of this and if they were, isn't their fault for appointing him and consequently leaving the club in this situation?

The Managemnet Committee need to go

DaveyCakes
05/03/2007, 3:50 PM
<i>The Managemnet Committee need to go</i>

Who'll replace them?

avvenalaf
05/03/2007, 4:01 PM
Look, Rovers don't have the monopoly on ****e appointments. Think about some of the managerial appointments in the past 7 seasons at......
Villa
Man City
Newcastle
Portsmouth
Spurs
West Ham
Coventry
Leeds
QPR
Southampton
Sunderland

.........all made by 'professional' boards

GloryNights
05/03/2007, 4:25 PM
Look, Rovers don't have the monopoly on ****e appointments. Think about some of the managerial appointments in the past 7 seasons at......
Villa
Man City
Newcastle
Portsmouth
Spurs
West Ham
Coventry
Leeds
QPR
Southampton
Sunderland

.........all made by 'professional' boards

Firstly, I don't think all the appointments made by these clubs have been made solely by boards but by club owners who held all the power, the likes of Milan Manderic at Portsmouth. There was no board involved.

Secondly, when they have been appointed by boards and things went pear shaped, fans have called for their heads and the boards were replaced.

Thirdly, can you tell how many were appointed without contracts?

SligoBrewer
05/03/2007, 4:32 PM
Dont Overreact.

OVERREACT! WE HAVE NO MANAGER AGAIN

how many managers in how many years? its no coincidence, avvenalaff.
new teams every year are to be expected when their is no stability at the club whatsoever!

feo123
05/03/2007, 4:39 PM
all I will say is that if either Gavin Dykes or Roddy Collins is appointed to the post, I will not stand at a Rovers match while they are in charge - and that includes a Champions League Final.

who do you suggest is better?

OVERREACT! WE HAVE NO MANAGER AGAIN

how many managers in how many years? its no coincidence, avvenalaff.
new teams every year are to be expected when their is no stability at the club whatsoever!

don't talk about the years you didnt go to rovers

spud21
05/03/2007, 4:39 PM
Well said avvenelaf! This sack the board stuff is ridiculous, as someone said earlier the MC are voluntary and if you looked at the reports from the AGM's over the past few years they have done very well in recovering previous debts. They may be going through a bad time now but thats what supporters are for - to support. Not this moaning at every problem that arises.

avvenalaf
05/03/2007, 6:22 PM
Firstly, I don't think all the appointments made by these clubs have been made solely by boards but by club owners who held all the power, the likes of Milan Manderic at Portsmouth. There was no board involved.

Secondly, when they have been appointed by boards and things went pear shaped, fans have called for their heads and the boards were replaced.

Thirdly, can you tell how many were appointed without contracts?

Which boards, exactly, were replaced?

It's just as well that this guy had no contract. Maybe good thinking by the MC.

avvenalaf
05/03/2007, 6:23 PM
who do you suggest is better?

Podge and/or Rodge
don't talk about the years you didnt go to rovers

Hah ?

The Stars
05/03/2007, 6:24 PM
They may be going through a bad time now but thats what supporters are for - to support. Not this moaning at every problem that arises.

I think the fact that about 10 major problems have arisen in the past few months is cause for concern,and if the supporters let the board get away with these mistakes,are we doing our jobs as supporters?

A face
05/03/2007, 6:49 PM
Lads, the same thing happened to us in the last ten years, 1-2 weeks before the season starts and all hell is breaking loose.

If we have learnt anything from this happening its you need cool heads.

First up, the board right now are up the walls trying to sort it out. They need the time and room to get it sorted. No amount of 'sack the board' chants are going to improve this. In fact sacking the board right now will find you in a world of sh!te make no mistake on that one.

Since O'Connor left, the board were obviously looking at options to fill the role. They made a selection and its didn't pan out like it was planned. It happens. They will obvious have the other contacts they had made during the interview process so they are not starting from square one.

Who ever does get installed as manager now will not want to walk into a sh!te storm. Fans up in arms and screaming for blood is not the most settling site for anyone and its liable to do more harm than good.

The squad is pretty much together now and any new manager that is installed will also have some contacts aswell.

What the club needs now is people to rally around and support them, to help get things back on track. Everything needs to carry on as normal now, there is still loads of everyday tasks to be done and its best that these are done in the best environment possible.

Over reacting is not an option lads. You need to be joining forces and ask where you can help out.

feo123
05/03/2007, 8:45 PM
Hah ?

i was talkin to brewer with the last comment, not you......

SligoBrewer
05/03/2007, 8:46 PM
i was talkin to brewer with the last comment, not you......

i dont count the years i was below the age of 13.

Red&White Rover
05/03/2007, 8:50 PM
i dont count the years i was below the age of 13.
:rolleyes:

SligoBrewer
05/03/2007, 8:52 PM
:rolleyes:

what?

do u?

Bravo
05/03/2007, 9:07 PM
Lads, like everything else we will have to agree to disagree, The board now in place is a re hash of previous boards with members of those boards holding prominent positions within the club enabling them positions of decision & yes its great that we made profit last year, but will ya be happy the blackest bank balance in the first division?
Issues over the Last 12 months:
1. Harpal Singh
2. Sean Connors (still glad to see the back of him)
3. Liam Burns
4. The State of the ground
5. The abysmal state of the Farmers Field
6. Handling of ticket allocation & more importantly distribution to elderly & young for the Cup semi final last year?
7. Rob McDonnald
8. Michael Hegerty.
9. Matty Verdon
10. Harloes at Half time.
11. Full time Vs Mixture
Anyone else want to add anything I’ve missed feel free……………………….

SligoBrewer
05/03/2007, 9:09 PM
Lads, like everything else we will have to agree to disagree, The board now in place is a re hash of previous boards with members of those boards holding prominent positions within the club enabling them positions of decision & yes its great that we made profit last year, but will ya be happy the blackest bank balance in the first division?
Issues over the Last 12 months:
1. Harpal Singh
2. Sean Connors (still glad to see the back of him)
3. Liam Burns
4. The State of the ground
5. The abysmal state of the Farmers Field
6. Handling of ticket allocation & more importantly distribution to elderly & young for the Cup semi final last year?
7. Rob McDonnald
8. Michael Hegerty.
9. Matty Verdon
10. Harloes at Half time.
11. Full time Vs Mixture
Anyone else want to add anything I’ve missed feel free……………………….

floodlights,
shed,
the clubs lack of information to the PAYING PUBLIC
the clubs current pr image

sligoman
05/03/2007, 9:55 PM
9. Matty VerdonThis has nothing to do with the board in general. Oliver Davey banned Matty for been found inside the ground with alcohol, he was also abusive to players, opposition fans and match stewards. All of which is against Sligo Rovers ground regulations.

I personally think he should be allowed back but I'm not Oliver Davey so can't make that decision:D.

SligoBrewer
05/03/2007, 10:08 PM
This has nothing to do with the board in general. Oliver Davey banned Matty for been found inside the ground with alcohol, he was also abusive to players, opposition fans and match stewards. All of which is against Sligo Rovers ground regulations.

I personally think he should be allowed back but I'm not Oliver Davey so can't make that decision:D.

thats factually incorrect

A face
05/03/2007, 10:09 PM

What is the point on going back on all the negatives. Fair enough, learn from your mistakes but this will not serve that. Each of those issues will have been debated to death at the time. Let it go, it'll serve no purpose and its definitely not the time to go into it now.

"The board now is a rehash of previous boards" -> Of course it is, who else would be there. People who are involved in the club and are there because they put themselves forward. Its always going to be that way until new people get involved with the club and take their turn to effect change. If you think there is something not right now then get involved and make a difference. Who will be on the board in 20 years time ..... my guess, Sligo Rovers fans for the most part and rightly so.

"members of those boards holding prominent positions within the club enabling them positions of decision" -> Thats exactly what you want your board to do, be in positions to make decisions. What good are they if they cant make them? They are not going to get them right every time. You are not always going to have good news.

Lads, these kind of debates are counter productive. There is no method to their madness. Its just slating for the sake of it and it'll only make matters worse.

Get on board, get involved .... If there is a core of concerned fans all working together then ye can make things happen.

Why dont you make a list of all the positives you have had in the last year? At least that might cheer you up. Address the balance if you will.

Get on the phone and find out what you can do to help ... do it ..... do it now.

sligoman
05/03/2007, 10:30 PM
thats factually incorrectYou know this how?
Get on the phone and find out what you can do to help ... do it ..... do it now.In fairness, I think the Rovers office is closed at this time:D.

SligoBrewer
05/03/2007, 10:33 PM
You know this how?In fairness, I think the Rovers office is closed at this time:D.

because i do, and you are wrong.

dont post stuff if you are not sure about it.

oh! and im sure theirs an answering service

avvenalaf
05/03/2007, 11:36 PM
Bedtime, lads.

GloryNights
06/03/2007, 1:12 PM
[QUOTE=avvenalaf;636589]Which boards, exactly, were replaced?QUOTE]

Rupert Lowe has resigned as chairman of Championship side Southampton.

After 10 years in charge, Lowe has stood down from the club's board along with Andrew Cowen, Guy Askham, Michael Richard and David Windsor Clive.
Michael Wilde, Ken Dulieu, Jim Hone, Lee Hoos, Patrick Trant and Leon Crouch have been appointed as Southampton's new directors.

Aston Villa, Portsmouth, Newcastle, Spurs, West Ham, Leeds and Sunderland all have controlling shareholders i.e. 51% of the shares or more and although they have a board of directors they are generally non - executive directors therefore they only work in an advisory role to the owner/chairman whom the final decision on club matters rests with. These owners can only leave if their majority stake is sold.

In such cases that there hasn't been boards in place new owners are encouraged by fans to submit takeover bids.

As for the rest i'm not sure how they operate though I could probably find out if you like!

avvenalaf
06/03/2007, 3:41 PM
Yeah, go on then, find out. It'll keep you going for a while