PDA

View Full Version : Expectations?

wexman
05/03/2007, 2:27 PM
just wondering what peoples expectations for first year in league are?

Tazskool
05/03/2007, 4:08 PM
I just want my team to win 1 game and I will be a happy man :)

passinginterest
05/03/2007, 5:29 PM
Expect a good few 1-0 defeats, pick up some surprise wins, finish in bottom three. We won't score enough goals and will concede too many from set pieces against teams full of, shall we say 'mountainy' men. ;)

Thunder-WYFC
05/03/2007, 5:58 PM
I'm not too confident in Shane Dunphy's handling so I would expect a few soft goals this season but theres plenty of time to work on it

ForzaWexford
05/03/2007, 9:23 PM
I'd say seventh or eighth place is achievable - but ninth or tenth is probably more realistic!

I wasn't impressed with Dunphy from what I saw either, but Jason Russell from Ajax is signing AFAIK, and he's a pretty good keeper.

Judging by our preseason goals are going to be hard to come by!

Footsoldier
05/03/2007, 10:50 PM
My expectations and hopes aren't too high for this year. I don't expect the Youths to do too well either (boom boom!). Seriously though, we don't have enough players who are used to the pace of this level of football. It's a fair step up from Junior football in Wexford. Having said that, I'll just be delighted to have a team to see every other week.

By the way, what's the story with Dunphy? In the pullout in the Star, he was the player to watch. He had experience with Waterford Utd and was basically the dog's dangly bits. Was someone telling porkies?

Thunder-WYFC
05/03/2007, 11:06 PM
He's an excellent shot-stopper but crap when it comes to dealing with stuff in the air+set pieces

Tazskool
06/03/2007, 9:28 AM
any news on a confirmed team listing yet?

passinginterest
06/03/2007, 10:06 AM
Taz it must be frustrating not getting up to date info alright, especially when you see what they're doing down in Limerick. I don't think the commercial and publicity side of the club is any real concern of Wallace at the moment and I don't know if he has the people in place to look after that stuff yet. In the league guide in the Star the other day they they gave contact details as phone: 8874400 or email wexfordyouths@wallace.ie you might get some info that way. The club press officer is named as Greg Keane.

Tazskool
06/03/2007, 12:21 PM
Very frustrating.. even worse the Press in England fail to report on anything, even the BBC dont!!, so I rely heavily on Foot for information and follow my team :)

Cheers for the email.. I shall fire one off to them tonite

passinginterest
06/03/2007, 12:56 PM
If you get anything useful back post it up for us! I was thinking of emailing too but I'll see how you get on first.

wexman
06/03/2007, 2:08 PM
rumours are wex hurler mossy mahon signed up last nite??

passinginterest
06/03/2007, 2:15 PM
That's an interesting one alright. He was never good enough to make it with the hurlers, never really heard him mentioned as a soccer player that I can remember.

Here's an article from 11 a side, apparently Walllace has been in Italy during the week.

Wexford Youths backer and manager Mick Wallace has taken in training sessions at Serie A sides Juventus and Torino this week as he prepares for his new club’s first taste of eircom League action at the weekend.
full article (http://www.elevenaside.com/wexfordyouths/irish_soccer_detail.asp?newsid=26803)

G-Man
06/03/2007, 2:28 PM
That's an interesting one alright. He was never good enough to make it with the hurlers, never really heard him mentioned as a soccer player that I can remember.

Here's an article from 11 a side, apparently Walllace has been in Italy during the week.

full article (http://www.elevenaside.com/wexfordyouths/irish_soccer_detail.asp?newsid=26803)

Rumours going around that Mossy has quit the hurlers as he was annoyed at not getting a game at the weekend. He was lucky to be getting games for the last few weekends so this sulk wont do him any favours. Cant see Wallace adding him to the squad now, but there will always be rumours of this nature floating aorund Wexford. He is a handy enough footballer, but dont know how much he plays these days.

And Wallace being out in Italy isnt anything major. He owns a couple of apartments in Turin and a vineyard out in the mountains outside Turin and is a season ticket holder with Juve, has close links with the training staff in Torino too, used to always wear his Turin bench coat for Wexford Youth games.

passinginterest
06/03/2007, 2:31 PM
I think we all know about his italy connections just thought I'd stick the article up for anyone who had an interest. And I suppose those outside Wexford wouldn't be as informed.
I'd say anytime a GAA player drops off a panel now the first rumour will be that he's gone off to play soccer, it's a shame really.