PDA

View Full Version : why dont?

eoinh
01/01/2003, 10:52 PM
the fans try and galvanise some sort of popular movement for an all-ireland competition (an all-ireland league cup for instance). we know the ifa and fai are not going to move on this, maybe the fans should try to get things going. i wonder what does the ordinary supporter in the IL think of a competition like this?

MariborKev
01/01/2003, 11:53 PM
there was a online petition with several thousand signatures floating about a year or two ago

crc
02/01/2003, 12:54 PM
I've thought about this for a while and have something to put on the table:
a competition based on regional groups (then a knock-out) which would replace the eL league cup and all those stupid Northern cups like the county Antrim shield.
This would add interest at local level regularly, in situations where clubs are normally in different divisions / countries!
Example; 8 groups of 5 or 6 teams each with the winners or perhaps runners up aswell going forward to an all-island knock out round.

Group A: DUBLIN -> Bohs, Dublin City, Shels, St.Pats, Sham Rvs, UCD,
Group B: BELFAST -> Cliftonville, Crusaders, Glentoran, Linfield, Lisburn Dist.
Group C: NORTH-WEST -> Coleraine, Derry City, Finn Harps, Institute, Limavady Utd, Omagh Town
Group D: BORDER -> Dundalk, Drogheda, Newry, Monaghan, Armagh C,
Group E: ANTRIM -> Ballyclare, Ballymena Utd, Larne, Carrick R, Junior Club (e.g. Chimney Corner)
Group F: DOWN / ARMAGH -> Bangor, Ards, Glenavon, Portadown, Dungannon
Group G:CENTRAL -> Galway, Sligo, Longford, Athlone, Bray, Kildare
Group H: SOUTH -> Cork City, Cobh, Limerick, Waterford, Kilkenny, Junior Club (e.g. Rockmount or Tralee Dynamos)
=================

This format would give lots of local derbies which generate interest. It hasn't been smoothed out at the edges yet, but you could have local Junior clubs qualifying to make all the groups up to 6 each.
Also, the Dubs might complain that they have a the group of death because 5 of the 6 are in the Premier Division, but thats not what the competition would be about. Anyway they'd probably make lots of money from the interest generated by a Dublin-only competition (although maybe they're happy with the Premier Division the way it is!!!)

The Final could be played at whichever suitable ground was approximately half-way between the two competing clubs.

eoinh
02/01/2003, 1:19 PM
thats a great idea.
Too good for the suits though.

although you could get in touch with D. Bernstein about it. he seems to have his head on his shoulders.

A face
02/01/2003, 1:37 PM
Fair play ... that sounds really good and it seems realistic aswell. Could we ever see the IFA and the FAI move on it though.
It would be brilliant if it ever did move towards something like that.

Originally posted by crc
I've thought about this for a while and have something to put on the table:
a competition based on regional groups (then a knock-out) which would replace the eL league cup and all those stupid Northern cups like the county Antrim shield.
This would add interest at local level regularly, in situations where clubs are normally in different divisions / countries!
Example; 8 groups of 5 or 6 teams each with the winners or perhaps runners up aswell going forward to an all-island knock out round.

Group A: DUBLIN -> Bohs, Dublin City, Shels, St.Pats, Sham Rvs, UCD,
Group B: BELFAST -> Cliftonville, Crusaders, Glentoran, Linfield, Lisburn Dist.
Group C: NORTH-WEST -> Coleraine, Derry City, Finn Harps, Institute, Limavady Utd, Omagh Town
Group D: BORDER -> Dundalk, Drogheda, Newry, Monaghan, Armagh C,
Group E: ANTRIM -> Ballyclare, Ballymena Utd, Larne, Carrick R, Junior Club (e.g. Chimney Corner)
Group F: DOWN / ARMAGH -> Bangor, Ards, Glenavon, Portadown, Dungannon
Group G:CENTRAL -> Galway, Sligo, Longford, Athlone, Bray, Kildare
Group H: SOUTH -> Cork City, Cobh, Limerick, Waterford, Kilkenny, Junior Club (e.g. Rockmount or Tralee Dynamos)
=================

This format would give lots of local derbies which generate interest. It hasn't been smoothed out at the edges yet, but you could have local Junior clubs qualifying to make all the groups up to 6 each.
Also, the Dubs might complain that they have a the group of death because 5 of the 6 are in the Premier Division, but thats not what the competition would be about. Anyway they'd probably make lots of money from the interest generated by a Dublin-only competition (although maybe they're happy with the Premier Division the way it is!!!)

The Final could be played at whichever suitable ground was approximately half-way between the two competing clubs.

patsh
02/01/2003, 8:34 PM
Fair play to ye, crc, that's one of the best ideas I've ever seen on this site. PLEASE, forward it on to the FAI and the IFA, but why not also send it to some politicos, north and south and it just may grab the attention of someone who could do something about it.
Well done.:)

Shed End John
23/01/2003, 4:10 PM
Well done to ya crc on some really forward-looking thinking. By putting it out you may get some advice about those 'rough edges', just don't expect the FAI or the IFA to even spatre a second thought for your proposal.

Murphy Out Now!!!

fosterdollar
23/01/2003, 4:29 PM
this is the first time ive seen this thanx to SEJ i suppose - it looks feckin deadly - would love to see something moving in that direction:cool:

Shed End John
23/01/2003, 5:48 PM
Originally posted by Magoo
this is the first time ive seen this thanx to SEJ i suppose - it looks feckin deadly - would love to see something moving in that direction:cool:

What do you mean "thanx to SEJ", do you follow me around this board or something?:confused: :confused:

Murphy Out Now!!!

crc
11/02/2003, 3:40 PM
I was thinking about it again (!)

A few clubs could get the ball rolling by having a mini-tournament between themselves. Perhaps 8 teams in two groups. They could easily do this volutarily, and thereby bypass the FAI and IFA!
Derry, Galway, Shams, Dundalk, Newry, Glenavon, Coleraine, Cliftonville.

BTW: these are just suggestions, other clubs may be more interested than these ones.

Mac Heucedress
03/03/2003, 2:22 PM
Yeah, that's a great idea !
tons of matchs, lot of suspens !
It'll be great !!!!

Little Big Mac

Dodge
03/03/2003, 2:32 PM
Originally posted by crc
I was thinking about it again (!)

A few clubs could get the ball rolling by having a mini-tournament between themselves. Perhaps 8 teams in two groups. They could easily do this volutarily, and thereby bypass the FAI and IFA!
Derry, Galway, Shams, Dundalk, Newry, Glenavon, Coleraine, Cliftonville.

BTW: these are just suggestions, other clubs may be more interested than these ones.

My idea would be to have the top 4 from each league qulaify for an 8 team 2 group tournament comprising 2 northern, 2 southern teams.

Group A: 1st LOI, 2nd IL. 3rd LOI, 4th IL
Group B: 1st IL, 2nd LOI, 3rd IL, 4th LOI

Play each other twice. Winners play off for title.

It would gauge people's feelings for the tournament and if succesful could be expanded

crc
05/03/2003, 5:53 PM
thqt would be good if you could be sure that the top four from each league would definately play. I'm sure the proposal would meet with resistance from some northern clubs (!), so maybe in the first year it would need teams to volunteer to take part.

Also, it might be worth "fixing" the draw so that neighbouring teams, who don't normally play each other, would get the chance to do so; Derry v Coleraine, Newry v Dundalk...

patsh
05/03/2003, 6:31 PM
I think the fact that there are too many fixtures already in the eL, and now that the seasons are out of whack, will kill any moves to an all-Ireland competition.
It would be an interesting competiton though and someday.....

Badweather Fan
05/03/2003, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by eoinh
why don't the fans try and galvanise some sort of popular movement for an all-ireland competition?
Cos petitions are always ignored. But sure we're giving it a go (http://www.petitiononline.com/ailsoc) anyway.:)