PDA

View Full Version : Limerick vs Longford

Breska Rover
03/03/2007, 7:13 PM
Did anyone attend this match and if so what was the story,

due to be played this evenin at 5.30 in flancare park.

Was unable to go so any info would be appreciated!

De Town
03/03/2007, 7:49 PM
Longford won 5-1. Yee had a very young looking team but tried to play it on the ground but the gulf in class was noticeable. Ye'll do alright in Div 1, just might not be physically strong enough to compete at times.

KevB76
03/03/2007, 10:47 PM
Does anyone know who played ?
Any new faces ?

gael353
04/03/2007, 11:37 AM
Longford won 5-1. Yee had a very young looking team but tried to play it on the ground but the gulf in class was noticeable. Ye'll do alright in Div 1, just might not be physically strong enough to compete at times.

Id be more worried about your positioning in the Premier then ours in the first and im not slagging its just your team doesnt fill me with confidence. I admit i missed the first two goals (in the first 2 mins) as the CEO was trying to ply us with drinks in the "bar". David Goldby scored the limerick goal to make it 2 1 and we played well throughout the first half with Paddy hitting the crossbar. Second half we tired to a standstill. Have to remember this team is only back training 2 weeks ago and lack of fitness showed. I dont think anybody played bad or anything its just yes a very young side but we did try as mentioned by de town. Team was something like 1 Dave Ryan, 2 Peter white subbed late by ?) 3 Brian Buckley, 4 Nigel Keady (Paul Dannagher after 5 mins inj) 5 Paddy Purcell, 6 Conor Molam, 7 C Malone (new lad from castlebar not bad) 8 Ross Cosgrave 9 Im guessing it was McCarthy from Kerry(Dave Wall late on) 10 David Goldby (Glasheen late on) 11 Waters.

Stopped into the new Athlone ground on the way up. My points about **** stands being built all over the country for years has been proved correct as in athlone they have the best stand and a model for other clubs to follow. Bit windy and a stand at one end should start mighty fast to stop the gail. But deff. the best stand and facilities in the LOI and its only 1/4 done.

De Town
04/03/2007, 11:49 AM
Id be more worried about your positioning in the Premier then ours in the first and im not slagging its just your team doesnt fill me with confidence.

A fan of yours asked me about your team, so I gave an opinion. I doubt he wanted to know how we played:confused:

Sonic
04/03/2007, 12:26 PM
Id be more worried about your positioning in the Premier then ours in the first and im not slagging its just your team doesnt fill me with confidence.

Trust me mate well be fine!

Martinho II
04/03/2007, 1:31 PM
wasnt too impressed with yer goalie he had a stinker of a game! he needs to go back to basics!:eek:

the only 1
04/03/2007, 2:12 PM
Id be more worried about your positioning in the Premier then ours in the first and im not slagging its just your team doesnt fill me with confidence. I admit i missed the first two goals (in the first 2 mins) as the CEO was trying to ply us with drinks in the "bar". David Goldby scored the limerick goal to make it 2 1 and we played well throughout the first half with Paddy hitting the crossbar. Second half we tired to a standstill. Have to remember this team is only back training 2 weeks ago and lack of fitness showed. I dont think anybody played bad or anything its just yes a very young side but we did try as mentioned by de town. Team was something like 1 Dave Ryan, 2 Peter white subbed late by ?) 3 Brian Buckley, 4 Nigel Keady (Paul Dannagher after 5 mins inj) 5 Paddy Purcell, 6 Conor Molam, 7 C Malone (new lad from castlebar not bad) 8 Ross Cosgrave 9 Im guessing it was McCarthy from Kerry(Dave Wall late on) 10 David Goldby (Glasheen late on) 11 Waters.

Stopped into the new Athlone ground on the way up. My points about **** stands being built all over the country for years has been proved correct as in athlone they have the best stand and a model for other clubs to follow. Bit windy and a stand at one end should start mighty fast to stop the gail. But deff. the best stand and facilities in the LOI and its only 1/4 done.

hammered 5-1 and your more worried about the other team :) the team that was out is **** and goin to struggle

Martinho II
04/03/2007, 2:39 PM
you have to give someone stick from the terraces at every opportunity:)

Cabs88
04/03/2007, 3:12 PM
i thought their no 7 looked useful, a bit small, but gave a good account of himself

KevB76
04/03/2007, 3:42 PM
David Goldby scored the limerick goal to make it 2 1 and we played well throughout the first half with Paddy hitting the crossbar. Second half we tired to a standstill. Have to remember this team is only back training 2 weeks ago and lack of fitness showed. I dont think anybody played bad or anything its just yes a very young side but we did try as mentioned by de town. Team was something like 1 Dave Ryan, 2 Peter white subbed late by ?) 3 Brian Buckley, 4 Nigel Keady (Paul Dannagher after 5 mins inj) 5 Paddy Purcell, 6 Conor Molam, 7 C Malone (new lad from castlebar not bad) 8 Ross Cosgrave 9 Im guessing it was McCarthy from Kerry(Dave Wall late on) 10 David Goldby (Glasheen late on) 11 Waters.
Thats 2 in 2 games for Dave Goldbey, looking like a great signing so far !
How did Conor Molan do in mid-field ? I was very impressed with him at Left-back in the Bray game, would have liked to see him keep that position.
I thought the keeper did ok at the Bray game but e few people have raised a question mark over him, what did you think ?

Monkfish
04/03/2007, 3:43 PM
Main concerns were the keeper and fitness of the squad, played well enough 1st half, 2nd was all Longford. Free FAI pin badges and pens lifted or spirts however.:) We'll probably struggle til everyones fitness levels improve, having said that not a bad side considering, and as has been mentioned, style of football is better on the eye than before.
Oh ya, the L.3.7.F.C.S.C. accepts no resonsibility for the picket outside a certain William St butchers yesterday afternoon. :D

the dazzler
04/03/2007, 3:52 PM
hammered 5-1 and your more worried about the other team :) the team that was out is **** and goin to struggle

your probally right the squad put together is not that great to be honest but we just have to get on with it and hope for the best

redron
04/03/2007, 8:23 PM
Oh ya, the L.3.7.F.C.S.C. accepts no resonsibility for the picket outside a certain William St butchers yesterday afternoon. :D

If anyone is curious about what was about, I posted a quick explanation here http://foot.ie/showthread.php?t=54541

Lim till i die
05/03/2007, 8:11 AM
In fairness said far more about where the teams are at fitness wise rather than ability wise IMHO

Didn't notice a huge gulf in class (Hello, Longford?!) for the time that we were able to compete but from the hour mark on the team were dead on their collective feet.

Remember that back four wasn't the starting back four. No Finny in with Purcell.

As for the team that played:

Ryan: Not too sure about him tbh. Positioning was a little(ahem) suspect and I felt he bottled it for one of their goals which is maybe understandable given it was pre-season. Seems to have a lot of the basics (He can Catch :eek: ) so maybe he'll get better with experience

Peter White: Not good enough I'm afraid

Paul Danagher: Big strong lad pretty immobile but could do a job against the First Division teams with weak attacks (ie most of them)

Paddy Purcell: Is it just me or does he already look more enthusiastic than during the NOC era?

Brian Buckley: Usual, pretty solid

Ross Cosgrove: Played well good touches not afraid to take on his man. Was knackered after half time

Conor Molan: Couldn't pass water for the first twenty minutes but gradually grew into the game and was terrier like and tough in the tackle. Could be our midfield enforcer :eek:

Kevin Waters: Again looked alright :eek: Reverted back to ball giving away type towards the end but would be unfair to single him out as everyone knackered

Mayo Lad: Looked promising enough. Good Feet but a little lightweight. At the moment a poor mans Heff

Dave Goldbey: Dare I say it looks a player. Strong, intelligent, fairly quick, took his goal well.

Other Striker: Pretty anonymus

Overall not as useless an exercise as five one would suggest. Longford were very like a lot of what we're going to come up against this season. Very ahem "agricultural" in their approach. We tried to play the game properly for the time that we could move and there'll be worse teams than Longford playing the Longford way who we should be able to pass it around

young boy
05/03/2007, 10:36 AM
i was told yesterday that 4 players never turned up for the game is this true.anyone have an idea.

peter white is an average player. he will not make it at this level. poor team limerick had out. hopefully there is more to add

Lim till i die
05/03/2007, 10:38 AM
i was told yesterday that 4 players never turned up for the game is this true.anyone have an idea.

peter white is an average player. he will not make it at this level. poor team limerick had out. hopefully there is more to add

Already explained about the defence ;)

young boy
05/03/2007, 10:48 AM
the back four will b solid for ye. there good players. the midfield area looks pretty weak if molan has to play there

Lim till i die
05/03/2007, 12:03 PM
the back four will b solid for ye. there good players. the midfield area looks pretty weak if molan has to play there

Inclined to agree with you about the midfield

Conor isn't the worst in the world though, I definitely think we'll compete :ball:

the hoops
05/03/2007, 12:06 PM
Inclined to agree with you about the midfield

Conor isn't the worst in the world though, I definitely think we'll compete :ball:

who did white play with?

Lim till i die
05/03/2007, 12:30 PM
who did white play with?

Was with our 21's for a couple of games last year

Before that Kilkenny City

KevB76
05/03/2007, 6:50 PM
Is he the same lad who plyed right back no.2 against Bray?
Anyone know anything of the guy (Miller ?) who played that position towards the end of that game ?