PDA

View Full Version : EL ranked 20th in Europe

paudie
03/03/2007, 1:42 PM
http://www.xs4all.nl/~kassiesa/bert/uefa/data/method3/ccoef2007.html

Maybe as part of their marketing of the league the FAI should mention that we are ranked 20th in European competition results in 2006/07 despite all EL teams being unseeded in all rounds.

We're ahead of countries like Poland, Norway, Sweden,Serbia and Austria.

Superhoops
03/03/2007, 2:07 PM
That would be 4 places higher than the national team who are the 24th highhest European country in the FIFA Workd rankings.

Rossi
03/03/2007, 4:02 PM
therefore more eircom league players should be called up!

RĂ©iteoir
03/03/2007, 4:30 PM
One thing wrong with that link

Our fourth team isn't up there (St Pats)

I say we'll comfortably pull away from the Poles when their Co-Eff is programmed in

paudie
03/03/2007, 5:37 PM

I say we'll comfortably pull away from the Poles when their Co-Eff is programmed in

The list ranks results from the 06/07 Euro season ie Cork city (CL), Derry, & Drogs (UEFA Cup)

Poor Student
03/03/2007, 8:10 PM
While it's a massive improvement I can see how emphasising we finished 20th in one year makes a good marketing campaign.

TheBoss
03/03/2007, 10:39 PM
The list ranks results from the 06/07 Euro season ie Cork city (CL), Derry, & Drogs (UEFA Cup)

Exactly, It is the performance for the 06/07 seasons, the real ranking is 35th

http://www.xs4all.nl/~kassiesa/bert/uefa/data/method3/crank2007.html

Louth4sam
04/03/2007, 2:49 PM

You dont get points for the intertoto so ireland will only have 3 teams in europe gaining co-efficient points

gilberto_eire
05/03/2007, 2:46 AM
how the hell are the norths leauge 3rd last with just andorra and san marino behind them??....

Dodge
05/03/2007, 7:34 AM
Neither Pats nor Drogheda will be seeded in the UEFA Cup but I thnk Derry might be for the first qualifier in the Champions League. Depends on who wins the various lower level leagues

Krstic
05/03/2007, 8:11 AM
how the hell are the norths leauge 3rd last with just andorra and san marino behind them??....

Because they don't take it serious.
Some of Linfields players went on holiday last year and missed a European game.

Lim till i die
05/03/2007, 8:25 AM
Forgive my ignorance of Co-Efficients but how in the hell did we end up ahead of Serbia??

Does anyone remember Cork v Red Star :eek: :ball:

Kingdom
05/03/2007, 9:21 AM
In the overall rankings for the 5 yr period it looks grim, but when you look at the countries in the immediate 10 places above the league all of those countries are overtakeable (is that even a word?).
With 4 good teams in Europe, the potential is there again for this season. Imagine if Derry made the breakthrough!

Just from a barstoolers viewpoint, it has been the improved results in Europe, and the heightened exposure the league has got that has made me interested in the league in general.

pete
05/03/2007, 12:12 PM
Its going to be a good number of years before the eL teams can skip the 1st round so once we move to seeding in the 1st round can expect increased points. If can continue the results from last few years a move into top 30 isn't far away. I suppose the unknown this season is whether Pats can contribute given their inexperience.

Krstic
05/03/2007, 12:15 PM
Its going to be a good number of years before the eL teams can skip the 1st round so once we move to seeding in the 1st round can expect increased points. If can continue the results from last few years a move into top 30 isn't far away. I suppose the unknown this season is whether Pats can contribute given their inexperience.

Don't see why they can't, after all Derry were inexperienced.

dcfcsteve
05/03/2007, 3:48 PM
That would be 4 places higher than the national team who are the 24th highhest European country in the FIFA Workd rankings.

20th in Europe isn't as good as 24th in the world. Though it's not a massive amount worse either.

dancinpants
05/03/2007, 4:00 PM
20th in Europe isn't as good as 24th in the world. Though it's not a massive amount worse either.

Think you read his quote wrong steve.

Rossi
05/03/2007, 4:07 PM
Don't see why they can't, after all Derry were inexperienced.

Drogheda were considered inexperienced last year and nearly made it to the same round as Derry and could of played against PSV if they had of got through

BohsPartisan
05/03/2007, 4:14 PM
Was it not Ajax?

pete
05/03/2007, 5:40 PM
Drogheda were considered inexperienced last year and nearly made it to the same round as Derry and could of played against PSV if they had of got through

Derry & Drogs were inexperienced last season so they were unknown entities in europe. The fact they did well means they should be good for progress past 1st round this year. Drogs did have players who had experience with other clubs & Stephen had good (& bad) experience as a Manager. St Pats could very well make the Group Stages but thats doesn't take away the fact they an uncertainty starting this season as few players have played in europe before...

Risteard
05/03/2007, 5:54 PM
AFAIK, whoever represents Ireland in the Champions League First preliminarys will definately be seeded.
Think that was in the papers after city beat Limassol.

pete
05/03/2007, 6:03 PM
AFAIK, whoever represents Ireland in the Champions League First preliminarys will definately be seeded.
Think that was in the papers after city beat Limassol.

You can never say for definite as depends who wins the other leagues.

Derry now have 3.145 ranking club points which last season would easily get them seeded in the CL so I think safe to assume that. Its based on their draw at home to PSG though & not the Limassol result.

Drogs & Pats will get 2.145 ranking points which would have been enough for seeding last season in the Uefa Cup. Its a lot harder to judge this with fair play teams parachuted into the Nothern region & Uefa don't even decide who goes into each region until close to the draw.

IMO seeding makes a much bigger difference in the Uefa Cup than in the CL.

paudie
05/03/2007, 6:18 PM
Forgive my ignorance of Co-Efficients but how in the hell did we end up ahead of Serbia??

Does anyone remember Cork v Red Star :eek: :ball:

Basically, EL clubs earned more points in total with their Euro results in 06/07 than Serbian clubs.

Obviously the other Serbian clubs were crap this season.

Ebmania
06/03/2007, 9:42 AM
Pats will be fine in europe. With are signing and the type of game we play can get some results in europe. Maybe even the same as derry last year if not better. Dont doubt the Saints the Glory days are back.

dcfcsteve
06/03/2007, 10:14 AM

It was Ajax who Start went on to play, but that doesn't mean Drogheda would've got them instead as the draw doesn't work like that.

I think Pat will do OK in Europe this year. Certainly no worse than the current Shels team would've, and probably no worse than any other team in the league (especially those that could've had any sort of claim on a Euro spot)......!

Ebmania
06/03/2007, 11:29 AM
Whats the date of the qualifying rounds to be announced does anybody know.

DmanDmythDledge
08/03/2007, 4:53 PM
Whats the date of the qualifying rounds to be announced does anybody know.
http://www.xs4all.nl/~kassiesa/bert/uefa/calendar2007.html