PDA

View Full Version : Limerick 37 academy

dutchie
03/03/2007, 9:37 AM
Can someone give more information on the academy.
I saw that Limerick had an academy for players u11 to u15,just wondering is this open to players of limerick district only,or would it be open to players playing in Limerick Desmond schoolboy league or Limerick county schoolboy league.
I saw last week that Limerick Desmond league u12 team beat Limerick district 1 nil and by all accounts it should have been more.:ball:

limerickblue
03/03/2007, 3:21 PM
Yes,i would also be interested to hear on this accadamy. i was actually present at the desmond against the city as my cousin was playing for the city, but i would have to agree that the city boys were paid of the field by the desmonds. there whole midfield should some amount of quality, they seem to be very well organised this year, there was one player of particular intrest, I seen him play for mungret against fairview last year and i was suprised to see him lining out for the desmonds. his name was barry he looked like an unbelivable talentmungret will be upset to lose him. cum on the blues

muls world
03/03/2007, 11:02 PM
Yes,i would also be interested to hear on this accadamy. i was actually present at the desmond against the city as my cousin was playing for the city, but i would have to agree that the city boys were paid of the field by the desmonds. there whole midfield should some amount of quality, they seem to be very well organised this year, there was one player of particular intrest, I seen him play for mungret against fairview last year and i was suprised to see him lining out for the desmonds. his name was barry he looked like an unbelivable talentmungret will be upset to lose him. cum on the blues

That player is Barry O'Connell, plays for Kildimo

limerickblue
04/03/2007, 3:21 PM
Well quality player he iss. there was also two quick feeted wingers playing and the right back did briilant donkiey work. so any news on this accadamy.

Old keeper
04/03/2007, 11:00 PM
Well quality player he iss. there was also two quick feeted wingers playing and the right back did briilant donkiey work. so any news on this accadamy.

The academy you speak of is run by the LDSL L37 will be assisting in the development of this and also in establishing a youth academy for U17s and 18s

4tothefloor
05/03/2007, 12:04 AM
The academy you speak of is run by the LDSL L37 will be assisting in the development of this and also in establishing a youth academy for U17s and 18s
So that means the Desmond and County players are left out in the cold again? This is not right, Limerick senior football belongs to the whole county, not just the city. There was a few from the county at the launch the other night too. In addition to the Desmond schoolboys beating the LDSL, the Desmond juniors beat the LDL Oscar Traynor team recently as well. At the moment some of the better players are out in the county, yet I bet ye didn't even bother having a look at any of them.......While I know the club is just finding its feet, this is something that will have to be rectified in the future, I don't agree with the county leagues being left out of the loop. Ye won't be filling that stadium in Jackman Park if ye continue to ignore the county :ball:

Needtoknow
05/03/2007, 7:25 AM
So that means the Desmond and County players are left out in the cold again? This is not right, Limerick senior football belongs to the whole county, not just the city. There was a few from the county at the launch the other night too. In addition to the Desmond schoolboys beating the LDSL, the Desmond juniors beat the LDL Oscar Traynor team recently as well. At the moment some of the better players are out in the county, yet I bet ye didn't even bother having a look at any of them.......While I know the club is just finding its feet, this is something that will have to be rectified in the future, I don't agree with the county leagues being left out of the loop. Ye won't be filling that stadium in Jackman Park if ye continue to ignore the county :ball:

Totally agree! Is this the case Old Keeper?

shelbourne1904
05/03/2007, 8:12 AM
I believe the Desmond and County leagues will have a seperate Academy under their own CDO???

Lim till i die
05/03/2007, 8:13 AM
I believe the Desmond and County leagues will have a seperate Academy under their own CDO???

But where does that leave them with regards to L37?? Are L37 only going to look at the city lads

magpies
05/03/2007, 1:54 PM

This doesn't make much sence to me, it should be all the one

limerickblue
05/03/2007, 5:24 PM
Well i supose the county and desmonds are being left in the cold again it is nothing new.So the desmond leauge beat the district leauge in a match and the senior football team is oferring development to the less talented players,i am not being disrespectful but there was much more talent on show for the desmonds. Old keeper COME ON and get that club to see some sense,because the crowds will disapear when they realise the talent is not being nurtioured.!!!!!

limerickblue
05/03/2007, 5:28 PM
So this accadamy limerick 37 is talking about is not a accadamy, it is a district team, typical lies, why is nobody ever straight with the fans

4tothefloor
05/03/2007, 10:32 PM
I think you're being a bit harsh there limerickblue, the club is only after starting up, but it is a pity that they haven't looked at the Desmond as already there are players out there better than what L37 have signed......

I wouldn't be having a go at Ger Finnin but L37 are saying that this club belongs to the people and everyone that kicks a football in Limerick. Therefore that should absolutely include the county leagues as well. U don't see Munster Rugby ignoring the county rugby clubs like Bruff, Newcastle West and Abbeyfeale........

Old keeper
05/03/2007, 10:49 PM

Hi 4

Now where did I say that there would be a city academy? I said that L37 would be assisting the LDSL and also establishing a U17/18 Academy. The club is very proud of the county connection and will ENSURE that every effort is made to support the county teams in development, in fact L37 was represented at the meeting between limerick county council and the FAI to make sure that a full time FAI employee would be appointed to concentrate on the County. We see the city and county as one unit and while there are issues with the geographical area being governed by different bodies the ultimate goal is the same "Strong Sustainable Soccer" in all areas

Now lets all remember that some replies are short becaues we are all very busy, please do not read between lines that do not exist. the club is only 1 month old, in a recent interview on radio in the county the club made it crystal clear that we want to see a strong county set up and want to harness the historical support that always existed for senior soccer in the county.

Regarding the viewing of players, to be totally honest we had no time to view players that we had not already seen and there was a rush to sign any available players. We have a small squad and will be looking to bolster this in June when the junior season is over so at that time we will most likely have a selection process in place.

Now please dont have me replying like this again take the club at face value WE WANT TO MAKE SURE THAT ALL SOCCER IS DEVELOPED.

Old keeper
05/03/2007, 10:54 PM
Well i supose the county and desmonds are being left in the cold again it is nothing new.So the desmond leauge beat the district leauge in a match and the senior football team is oferring development to the less talented players,i am not being disrespectful but there was much more talent on show for the desmonds. Old keeper COME ON and get that club to see some sense,because the crowds will disapear when they realise the talent is not being nurtioured.!!!!!

Hi Blue

Dont rush to judge We are working towards a common goal and will make sure the county is developed at the same pace as the city.

Fairkop
05/03/2007, 11:48 PM
sorry oldkeeper but maybe someone should have explained to you that you will spend many wasted lines replying to the many misinformed members of that small cartel who profess to know everything based on rumour and heresay.i wish you lots of luck and patience....with this lot you will need it.

the hoops
06/03/2007, 6:43 AM
looks like mr.finnan is wanting to run lim37 like he done ldmc hope it doesnt turn out the say way

LFC in Exile
06/03/2007, 7:28 AM
looks like mr.finnan is wanting to run lim37 like he done ldmc hope it doesnt turn out the say way

Hoops, well out of order. :ball:

leather
06/03/2007, 7:28 AM
Suprise, suprise, the hoops dont want anybody but their cronies to run(front) any form of football in limk.The loss of ger finnan is a massive blow AGAINIST Limk junior football.Good to see that the interim comm'ttee have disabled the web site and are already cancelling games at the behest of their real masters.
Its amazing the the hoops cant stand anybody who shows a even a small bit of knowledge and modernity..

Old keeper
06/03/2007, 7:38 AM

Hi Hoops

If you care to expand we could engage in a discussion, but it's hard to beat a negative oneliner!

I dont think this is the fourm to discuss this but I will engage with you in the junior section if you wish.

Here's an idea, how about if anyone who knocks something had to come up with an alternative proposal!!! But wait that would mean that most would be silent.

Old keeper
06/03/2007, 7:42 AM

By the way for the umpteen time it's Finnin My grandfather would turn in his grave if I did not correct that

LFC in Exile
06/03/2007, 7:48 AM
sorry oldkeeper but maybe someone should have explained to you that you will spend many wasted lines replying to the many misinformed members of that small cartel who profess to know everything based on rumour and heresay.i wish you lots of luck and patience....with this lot you will need it.

Never a truer word spoken. Its a pity new technology hasn't gone so far to prevent people with no brains sprouting sh1te on the internet. It would decimate this board though. :rolleyes:

LFC in Exile
06/03/2007, 7:50 AM
Not a ball kicked and we have to put up with this sh1te. :mad:

Needtoknow
06/03/2007, 8:38 AM
Ger Finnin & the board have done fantastic work to get us where we are. L37 is a team for the entire mid west and all players in the surrounding leagues who are good enough can aspire to play Senior soccer for L37. In time it would be great to see L37 develop links with all surrounding leagues, but Rome wasn't built in a day!

Monkfish
06/03/2007, 10:17 AM
Agreed, we all know theres fine players in the county and you can inclued Clare, Tipp and Kerry aswell, but christ lads give them a chance, the clubs only a few weeks old, and of course feel free to help with somthing you think you can do better.

shelbourne1904
06/03/2007, 10:54 AM
Agreed, we all know theres fine players in the county and you can inclued Clare, Tipp and Kerry aswell, but christ lads give them a chance, the clubs only a few weeks old, and of course feel free to help with somthing you think you can do better.

For the record Clare will soon have its own Academy run by its own County Developement Officer, paid for by the FAI,Clare County Council,Ennis Urban Council,the Clare Schoolboy/girl League and the Clare Junior League.This will in no way complicate matters in that we will open lanes of discussion with Limerick 37 to support them with players and crowd support as being the genuine representatives of senior football in the area.As soon as the people running the show get time to breath I would expect them to push the PR machine out the road to the Banner and wellcome all to the games.
COME ON THE BLUES

4tothefloor
07/03/2007, 6:10 PM
Hi 4

Now where did I say that there would be a city academy? I said that L37 would be assisting the LDSL and also establishing a U17/18 Academy.

And where did I say anything about a 'City Academy'? Never mentioned anything about a city academy. You were asked about L37's connection to soccer in the county, as thus far nothing has been mentioned or made concrete regarding this. Nothing about a city academy.

With all due respect, you shouldn't be getting ratty over a legitimate question and moaning about having to reply to it. In the Limerick Independent this week you're quoted as saying, regarding "murmurings" about soccer in the city, "If you have something to say, say it to my face or to other board members and we will take every suggestion on board". Well you're being told something now, not just by me, and you're moaning about it, so which is it?!

Daniel Power was just selected for the Irish Amateur International squad, yet L37 overlooked him and the Desmond league when looking for players, yet the squad is still paper thin? That's all that's being said, a worry expressed....

limerickblue
07/03/2007, 7:53 PM
We are all here because we want to see senior soccer in limerick and any query or worry we have is just because we want see l37 do as well as possible. yes power was left out by L37. WHY.??????? this is not a demand just a query

Regards Power was left off the desmond leauge team as it was up to newcastle managment. didnt want to risk him for oscar games. Everyone in the leauge knows his abilty.

Old keeper
07/03/2007, 8:42 PM
And where did I say anything about a 'City Academy'? Never mentioned anything about a city academy. You were asked about L37's connection to soccer in the county, as thus far nothing has been mentioned or made concrete regarding this. Nothing about a city academy.

With all due respect, you shouldn't be getting ratty over a legitimate question and moaning about having to reply to it. In the Limerick Independent this week you're quoted as saying, regarding "murmurings" about soccer in the city, "If you have something to say, say it to my face or to other board members and we will take every suggestion on board". Well you're being told something now, not just by me, and you're moaning about it, so which is it?!

Daniel Power was just selected for the Irish Amateur International squad, yet L37 overlooked him and the Desmond league when looking for players, yet the squad is still paper thin? That's all that's being said, a worry expressed....

Hi 4

I apologise if you feel I was getting ratty with you, this is far from true. There are a number of reasons why all players were not visited and asked to sign the biggest reason is "time" I was trying to put the point of view that there are 9 people involved in the management committee and aside from the on field activities there were a host of other issues to be dealt with. Daniel is as you said a superb player and I hope that come the end of the DL season he will be available for the L37 squad but that will be up to Daniel. We had 2 weeks to pull a squad together and in that time we encountered a number of problems. one of these was the fact that some teams in the city and county are still competing in national and regional cups and were reluctant to have their players approached. We did on two occasions announce on Limerick county radio and on the city radio and also on tipp radio that we were looking for players and all were welcome to attend training sessions. If we had even a few weeks more we would have had a much larger squad.

In relation to the independent I have not seen the article but the quote sounds like something I would say, I will take on board any suggestion and will always evaluate constructive criticism. The thread was taking a direction that we were ignoring the county and that is not the case, and while I would still have the same sentiments the line where I asked not to be replying to this type of post again was probably bourn of frustration and I apologise for it as it was out of character. Again please do not take the post personally and in 1 or 2 weeks we will be announcing plans to scour the region for all available talent for the U20 side and the senior squad all names are welcome and we will view all who merit a visit.

Hopefully the county players will feel that the club is fully committed to them

Old keeper
07/03/2007, 8:44 PM
We are all here because we want to see senior soccer in limerick and any query or worry we have is just because we want see l37 do as well as possible. yes power was left out by L37. WHY.??????? this is not a demand just a query

Regards Power was left off the desmond leauge team as it was up to newcastle managment. didnt want to risk him for oscar games. Everyone in the leauge knows his abilty.

Hi Blue

Hope the above answers this as well

the dazzler
07/03/2007, 9:28 PM
what a load of ****e from oldkeeper two weeks to put a squad together? there was players asked to sign over 6weeks ago the truth is a lot of players turned down lim37 because 1 they are badly run,2. bad pay offering only 8mth contracts 3, ski told them he was only signing them on other peoples say so this came from three local players who were training with them:mad: lads im telling ye know oldkeeper is taking the pisx

limerickblue
07/03/2007, 9:39 PM
Old keeper i would like to thank you for tking the time to reply. boys get of his back and lets just give the club a few weeks to find its fit.
Why is it always critism we see. why dont we jus go booo our own team for 90 minutes. thanks again oldkeeper

magpies
07/03/2007, 10:38 PM
[B]Regards Power was left off the desmond leauge team as it was up to newcastle managment. didnt want to risk him for oscar games. Everyone in the leauge knows his abilty.

Pardon my ignorance limerickblue but what are you saying here??

Old keeper
08/03/2007, 12:18 AM
what a load of ****e from oldkeeper two weeks to put a squad together? there was players asked to sign over 6weeks ago the truth is a lot of players turned down lim37 because 1 they are badly run,2. bad pay offering only 8mth contracts 3, ski told them he was only signing them on other peoples say so this came from three local players who were training with them:mad: lads im telling ye know oldkeeper is taking the pisx

Hi dazzler

Your information on your club is garnered from the dandy or the topper comics I presume? You are factually incorrect on every point. but please keep supporting your club and why not offer to help in the running.

BTW the club could not ask players to sign until after the license was granted and the deadline for release of junior players was the 28th Feb.

the dazzler
08/03/2007, 6:27 AM
Hi dazzler

Your information on your club is garnered from the dandy or the topper comics I presume? You are factually incorrect on every point. but please keep supporting your club and why not offer to help in the running.

BTW the club could not ask players to sign until after the license was granted and the deadline for release of junior players was the 28th Feb.

there was no one from my junior club asked to sign? i was talking to lads in the town you especially were ringing players constantly up to six weeks ago i will always support lim37 but cant understand why someone like yourself can get so involved with a loi club even in the management side how bad is that?even the local ldmc didnt want you with them lim37 has no hope with the likes that with them

Lim till i die
08/03/2007, 7:56 AM
even the local ldmc didnt want you with them lim37 has no hope with the likes that with them

We should take advice from the ldmc on how to run our club?? :D :rolleyes:

Old keeper
08/03/2007, 8:18 AM
there was no one from my junior club asked to sign? i was talking to lads in the town you especially were ringing players constantly up to six weeks ago i will always support lim37 but cant understand why someone like yourself can get so involved with a loi club even in the management side how bad is that?even the local ldmc didnt want you with them lim37 has no hope with the likes that with them

When I refer to your club it was Limerick 37, and again "talking to lads in town" really is not the basis for factual infomation pass me on the names of any individual who would back up your claims and I will speak to them. I am only involved in the management of the clubs off the field activities, there is only one man managing the team!! and if your sources say different then again they are factually incorrect.

If you feel you can support L37 lets just do that, I am still a junior player and will be at the next LDMC agm if you are there seek me out for a chat. Lastly I know that L37 is run by a dedicated team and whatever your personal views of me, please be proud of the efforts they are making to keep your city in senior soccer the club needs support not slander.

You obviously have passion why not convert that to action? go forward for the LDMC or offer to help in L37!

joeSoap
08/03/2007, 10:26 AM
what a load of ****e from oldkeeper two weeks to put a squad together? there was players asked to sign over 6weeks ago So what?? I'm sure there were players sounded out weeks ago. I would be very surprised if there wasn't. Ger Finnin and co had to anticipate the probability of getting the licence, so where's the problem with sounding out players?

the truth is a lot of players turned down lim37 because 1 they are badly run,2. bad pay offering only 8mth contracts 3, ski told them he was only signing them on other peoples say so this came from three local players who were training with them:mad: lads im telling ye know oldkeeper is taking the pisx Well, from what I've seen from a distance, the one thing you cannot say is that the club is badly run. It has done everything by the book and any players I have spoken to are enthusiastic and keen to get on with things.

Bad pay? Nobodys putting a gun to anyones head and making them play for peanuts. The club is obviously paying what it can afford, unlike other regimes that in the past found themselves in positions where wages could not be paid, or longterm contracts were given out needlessly. More common sense I say.

Paul McGee would certainly have had to take advice on players from others. He is not local and therefore is reliant on this type of info. I'm sure he makes up his own mind thereafter.

Dazzler, criticism like this really isn't needed. I don't know how long you've been following Senior soccer, or what your knowledge of what goes into it is, but just bear in mind that running a club is an incredibly hard thing to do, so have respect for those trying to do it. Try being a little objective and see both sides.

Or else learn about what it takes to run a club...then you won't be long shutting up !!:mad:

dutchie
08/03/2007, 10:36 AM
I started this thread just to get info on what was happening with the academy and what was going to happen going forward,i wasn,t trying to stir up hassle for LK37 or Ger Finnin,a few people jumped on the wagon and started to make a big issue out of somthing that wasn,t their.
I know it probably helped LK37 application if it stated it was starting out an academy with LDSC and more luck to them,i was just worried as a manager of Desmond schoolboy teams that we might be left out in the cold,I know now by the responses from Ger that we will not.
Just one idea for all at LK37 for the coming year and into the future,if they could hold a tournament for the years u12-u16 for the three Limerick schoolboy teams plus maybe clare and play it off on the one day at UL.It would give people a taste of all local talent and would generate great interest.
Best of luck for the coming year to all at LK37,and a word of caution to supporters,Rome wasn't built in a day.:ball:

LFC in Exile
08/03/2007, 12:41 PM
Just as an aside. The issue of poor wages came up and that this could have meant that players didn't want to sign. Does that mean that some of the junior clubs are paying players? Surely not! :eek:

Lim till i die
08/03/2007, 2:01 PM
Just as an aside. The issue of poor wages came up and that this could have meant that players didn't want to sign. Does that mean that some of the junior clubs are paying players? Surely not! :eek:

It's a FARCE :eek:

magpies
08/03/2007, 3:45 PM
I started this thread just to get info on what was happening with the academy and what was going to happen going forward,i wasn,t trying to stir up hassle for LK37 or Ger Finnin,a few people jumped on the wagon and started to make a big issue out of somthing that wasn,t their.
I know it probably helped LK37 application if it stated it was starting out an academy with LDSC and more luck to them,i was just worried as a manager of Desmond schoolboy teams that we might be left out in the cold,I know now by the responses from Ger that we will not.
Just one idea for all at LK37 for the coming year and into the future,if they could hold a tournament for the years u12-u16 for the three Limerick schoolboy teams plus maybe clare and play it off on the one day at UL.It would give people a taste of all local talent and would generate great interest.
Best of luck for the coming year to all at LK37,and a word of caution to supporters,Rome wasn't built in a day.:ball:

Well said such a simple idea that should be straight forward to carry out. Can't wait for the Kennedy Cup this year the groups have been announced:ball:

4tothefloor
08/03/2007, 7:28 PM
Hi 4

I apologise if you feel I was getting ratty with you, this is far from true. There are a number of reasons why all players were not visited and asked to sign the biggest reason is "time" I was trying to put the point of view that there are 9 people involved in the management committee and aside from the on field activities there were a host of other issues to be dealt with. Daniel is as you said a superb player and I hope that come the end of the DL season he will be available for the L37 squad but that will be up to Daniel. We had 2 weeks to pull a squad together and in that time we encountered a number of problems. one of these was the fact that some teams in the city and county are still competing in national and regional cups and were reluctant to have their players approached. We did on two occasions announce on Limerick county radio and on the city radio and also on tipp radio that we were looking for players and all were welcome to attend training sessions. If we had even a few weeks more we would have had a much larger squad.

In relation to the independent I have not seen the article but the quote sounds like something I would say, I will take on board any suggestion and will always evaluate constructive criticism. The thread was taking a direction that we were ignoring the county and that is not the case, and while I would still have the same sentiments the line where I asked not to be replying to this type of post again was probably bourn of frustration and I apologise for it as it was out of character. Again please do not take the post personally and in 1 or 2 weeks we will be announcing plans to scour the region for all available talent for the U20 side and the senior squad all names are welcome and we will view all who merit a visit.

Hopefully the county players will feel that the club is fully committed to them
Fair enough, thanks for the reply :ball:

Well firstly, everyone involved in junior football in Limerick seems to hate each other anyway, so it's no surprise to hear that kind of stuff......

Secondly, why is it that everything the junior naysayers 'contribute' involves hearsay? You were talking to 'lads' - what lads? Name them. And if you can't, why bother posting? How do you know that these lads weren't talking bull? And it's laughable to bring up wages, as I said before, you'd swear the LDL was the premiership. I presume the wages and length of contract would be relative to the quality of the player being signed - a half fit junior player unproven at LOI level. L37 were right to take the approach that they did. Who wants to be left with a load of players on long decent paying contracts if it turns out that they're not up to it at LOI level? That's just common sense....especially in your first year.

Market's Field
08/03/2007, 8:44 PM
Old Keeper. I'm glad you came back and apologised, your original response certainly came across as you being impatient with someone asking some fairly valid questions and raising concerns. There are some guys on this forum (and it's not only one :D ) who seem to want the whole thing to fail and be able to run back here saying 'I told you so...' However, there are plenty of others who genuinely want to see Limerick senior soccer succeed and they comment and ask questions because they care.

Soccer at all levels in Limerick (senior, junior and schoolboy) has been poorly served by administrators over the years. I just don't get the constant slagging between junior and senior soccer on this forum. True soccer fans would love to see Limerick excel at all levels. The real enemy of soccer in this town is rugby which is winning the hearts and minds of kids via schools and rugby clubs. The only way that can be reversed is to put a proper structure in place to put soccer in Limerick back on the map. Best wishes with all the efforts but resist the tempatation to react defensively if the comments on this forum starting getting negative if early results go against Lim 37 (as I fear they might but sincerely hope I'm wrong). Stick by the longer term plan.

Hoops 1967
13/03/2007, 8:07 AM
Glad to hear that L37 are starting a youth academy, the soccer youths of this region need a local LOI youth team that they can aspire to and L37 needs a good youth system to develop players for the future.

I think that an under 20's team is needed and the sooner it's in place the better. We don't want the best under age players in this region going to cork or galway and L37 missing out.

Hopefully when the junior soccer season ends a few more of the best juniors players in the region will give LOI a chance.

Limerick soccer needs a good LOI team and hopefully L37 will be successful. If cork and derry can do it then so can we!