PDA

View Full Version : Bray 2-0 WYFC

Thunder-WYFC
01/03/2007, 10:04 PM
Well we lost 2-0,wasn't at the game but it dosen't seem to bad.2-0 against a Premier Division side in only our 2nd friendly game and our first against a LOI side.Also our squad has only been picked.UCD Saturday-things can only get better! I hope!!!!:D

ForzaWexford
01/03/2007, 11:32 PM
Bray scored first in the 13th minute - free kick out near the right corner flag, half cleared and drilled into the bottom roght corner. Dunphy might have been able to get a hand to it. Rest of the first half was pretty much dominated by Bray. They hit the crossbar with a header from a corner late on.

Second half started much better for us. Lloyd Colfer brought a good save out of the keeper, and set up another chance that was hit tamely into the keepers hands. Wexford brought on 6 subs at once with about 25 mins to go. Bray scored the second in the 78th minute - ball played across the box from the left, smashed into the goal. Keeper had no chance.

Best players for Wexford imo were Antonhy Russell (man-marking for second half), Marty Kelly and Lloyd Colfer looked fairly lively too.

I asked a Bray fan how many of the team which started today would be considered part of the starting 11, and he reckoned 5, maybe 6.

Wasn't the best game I ever attended.........!

Thunder-WYFC
01/03/2007, 11:35 PM
so not 2 bad for us then.......

ForzaWexford
01/03/2007, 11:40 PM
Basically, I thought we were crap in the first half but showed some promise in the second.

Thunder-WYFC
01/03/2007, 11:54 PM
Were they playing in the u-18s kit tonight?

ForzaWexford
01/03/2007, 11:57 PM
Yeah they were.

Thunder-WYFC
02/03/2007, 12:01 AM
Any news atall on a kit,website etc.... league starts next friday

passinginterest
02/03/2007, 9:42 AM
Have to agree with Forza on most aspects of the game. It was definitely a good learning experience, we wanted too much time on the ball especially at the back and got caught in posession too often. Bray looked sharper but that has to be expected given their better pre season.
I think we're going to struggle defending set pieces all season, Dunphy hasn't got great hands in the goal and a severe lack of strenght and height is a problem. The team looked very young, more than I expected and they need to build strenght by the looks of things. Fox and Delaney for Bray are two big men (Delaney in height, Fox in width!) and we never looked able to challenge them. If anything Fox was Brays most effective player because when he got the ball there was no knocking him over.
Start of the both halves Wexford worried Bray a bit, especially second half, you could really see the potential in the side. Substitutions did us no favours, especially the right sided player in the back three, he was terribly exposed by the Bray winger.
Overall I'd say a good run out for both sides, Wexford will have learned a lot from it. They need to play the ball quicker and not take so much out of it. I'd see biggest weaknesses as defending set pieces, goalkeeper (one crazy punch from a corner, took two attempts to gather simplest of shots, poor for first goal, kick outs not the best), and playing three five two teams are always going to have a chance to get at us down the wings. Also possibly lacking an out and out striker, all the lads who played up front were running the channels and getting very little ball. I thought needed someone getting at Clive Delaney in the centre, having a run at him and turning him on the deck.

passinginterest
02/03/2007, 9:53 AM
I forgot to mention the referee sending the Bray manager off. Very funny, Bray manager about ten minutes before was warning one of his players not to say a word to the ref because he was a nut case who could do anything. Cue free kick in front of dug out, Bray manager gives referee some run of the mill guff, ref warns him to keep quiet, Bray manager has to have another dig, ref looses it an tells him he's sent off, manager hops over wall and stans at other side, about a foot away from his previous position, game continues. Probably the highlight of the first half to be honest. And he was back on the sideline for the second half.
Another funny incident when injured Bray player had to come off with five mins left, fussy officials refused to let Bray put back on a player previously substituted, despite Wexford saying they had no objection. Crazy.
Three bookings in the game 2 for Wex 1 for Bray. 1 each definitely deserved for bad late tackles. The other a bit more debateable. Ref never let the game flow, very fussy, on a cold night he really could have lightened up a bit!

smellyfeet
02/03/2007, 9:58 AM
Lads,
Just reading trough a few of yer threads and the name Michael Grangle popped up. Is he playing for Wexford Youth?

Tazskool
02/03/2007, 11:06 AM
any chance of the lineup for that match on here lads? We get sweet FA in England about it :(

passinginterest
02/03/2007, 11:21 AM
Taz i'd say it'll definitely be on braywanderers.ie later on today. As well as a match report, which I'm looking forward to, be nice to see what they made of it all. I forgot to bring paper with me to write down the lineups, I had meant to and all :(

wexman
02/03/2007, 12:23 PM
wexford were poor considering it was second string bray team they were chasing shadows and dont look to have a striker where was carlos(bolivian)

passinginterest
02/03/2007, 12:30 PM
It wasn't a second string Bray side at all, it was only short a few starters. There's at least another 10 players involved in the Wexford squad that weren't at the game acccording to the lads last night. I'd say more of them will be out aainst UCD Saturday. In fairness for first game of senior football ever it was an OK performance. They were only totally outplayed after bringing on all the subs at once. This Bray side had already played four or five quality pre season games and they're supporters are expecting them to be top half of the premier. I think you should be looking for more positives.

ForzaWexford
02/03/2007, 12:36 PM
Carlos is no more...as far as we are concerned anyways.

Mick's keeping 28 players though, which may seem like a lot, but he has to have a side in the U-21 league when it starts in June. You're allowed play 4 overage players in it.

Seagull
02/03/2007, 1:30 PM
I forgot to mention the referee sending the Bray manager off. Very funny, Bray manager about ten minutes before was warning one of his players not to say a word to the ref because he was a nut case who could do anything. Cue free kick in front of dug out, Bray manager gives referee some run of the mill guff, ref warns him to keep quiet, Bray manager has to have another dig, ref looses it an tells him he's sent off, manager hops over wall and stans at other side, about a foot away from his previous position, game continues.

The ref said 'don't tell me how to do my job' and Gormley just couldn't resist 'Well do it then', the ref roared at him 'get outta there' and sent him three feet away over the wall! Highlight of the night!
Who's managing Wexford? Mick Wallace seemed to have the biggest input pitchside last night, Dolo was very quiet? Best of luck to yous for the season anyway.

passinginterest
02/03/2007, 1:34 PM
Wallace is the manager, Dolan is head coach. Not sure if Wallace has all his coaching badges etc. but he's definitely the one making the decisions.
Now you mention Pat Dolan he looks like he might be back in training himself, he must of lost about 5stone.

smellyfeet
02/03/2007, 2:51 PM
Carlos is no more...as far as we are concerned anyways.

Mick's keeping 28 players though, which may seem like a lot, but he has to have a side in the U-21 league when it starts in June. You're allowed play 4 overage players in it.

The 21's is out the window this year, its going to be under 20's and no over age players aloud. Sorry lads but asked the question already and got no reply,is Michael Grangle playing for Wexford Youths.??

wexman
02/03/2007, 2:55 PM
no michael grangel isnt in squad

smellyfeet
02/03/2007, 3:10 PM
no michael grangel isnt in squad

Thanks

Seagull
03/03/2007, 6:10 PM
any chance of the lineup for that match on here lads? We get sweet FA in England about it :(
Match report from braywanderers.ie:

Apart from the two Bray goals and one good Wexford effort that brought Steve Williams's only serious action of the match, this was a clash better forgotten.

Bray manager Eddie Gormley was dismissed from the dug-out for a harmless whinge at referee Declan Hanney, who also dished out three cautions, and the home side finished with nine men.

Friendly? The Wexford lads were out for a scalp!

The early passages were energetic but ineffectual, a lot of huffing and puffing and running and who knew where the ball would end up.

With almost the first significant set-piece of the tie, however, Colm Tresson attacked an Alan Cawley free from near the righthand corner, playing it across the goal, and Stephen Fox was on hand when the defence half-cleared to volley in off the post after keeper Shane Dunphy got a hand to the shot.

Twenty minutes in, Gary Cronin and Liam O'Loughlin got so annoyed with each other after an incident that the referee had to separate and warn them.

The visitors' defence was doing well with the ball, disarming good attacks by Bray – Paul Malone did particularly well, to clear Cawley's shot under pressure from Gary McCabe.

They were paying special attention to the young Bray striker, and two of them zeroed in to close him down any time he looked like getting the ball.

A Tresson effort proved awkward to handle for Dunphy as David Tyrrell bore down on him, and Tyrrell's corner just after the half-hour was good for Clive Delaney, but the big defender could only hit the crossbar.

Towards the end of the first period, O'Loughlin won a corner off Chris Deans, but he miscued his header from skipper Johnny Flynn O'Connor's deadball.

Early in the second half, ex-Bray and Reading striker Conor Sinnott almost got to an Anthony Russell free, but Williams and Stephen Gough combined to clear the danger.

O'Connor had a speculative shot well over a few minutes later. David Tyrrell had two frees high, and three corners that didn't properly connect with the Bray attack, but the biggest mis hit was by Bray substitute Paul Dunphy who blasted over from close range when it would have been easier to put it in the net.

However, only two minutes later he redeemed himself by crossing neatly to put new signing Gavin Doyle in the perfect position to slot home.

Stevie Gough almost made it three, but for an acrobatic save by Shane Dunphy, and Andy Cousins shot just over after a half-clearance from a Gough free at the edge of the Wexford area following a foul on Dunphy.

After clashes late in the game, first Stephen Hurley and then Kevin Cronin limped off, leaving their nine team-mates to hold the fort, which wasn't a lengthy task as Hanney blew up after playing just over a minute of added time.

Mícheál Ó hUanacháin

Bray Wanderers: 25 Steve Williams; 3 Gary Cronin, 16 Chris Deans, 5 Clive Delaney (c), 7 Stephen Gough; 2 Colm Tresson; 20 Mark Duggan, 8 Alan Cawley, 11 David Tyrrell; 6 Stephen Fox, 18 Gary McCabe
Subs: 1 Chris O'Connor (for Williams 79), 4 Derek Tyrrell (for G Cronin 71), 14 Andrew Cousins (for Duggan 79), 17 Paul O'Reilly, 19 Kevin Cronin (71), 22 Paul Dunphy (for McCabe 59), 23 Ray Kenny (for Tresson 79), 24 Gavin Doyle (for Fox 59), 26 Stephen Hurley (for Cawley 59)
Wexford Youths: 18 Shane Dunphy; 21 Anthony Russell, 14 Paul Malone (to 59), 5 Gary Murphy (to 59), 15 Stuart Dunning; 11 Johnny Flynn O'Connor (c) (to 59), 2 Garreth Larkin (to 59), 3 Conor Sinnott, 13 Marty Kelly; 18 Liam O'Loughlin (to 59), 10 John O'Leary (to 59)
Subs: 4 Stephen Bradley, 6 Dermot Fitzpatrick (59), 9 Stuart Lawlor (59), 12 Joey Wadding (59), 17 Justin Power (59), 19 Timmy Bolger (59), 20 Lloyd Colfer (59)
Referee: Declan Hanney