PDA

View Full Version : Is it just me...

superfrank
28/02/2007, 7:30 PM
Or do others hate it too when albums are re-released or repackaged with bonus material?

When you think about there's probably a reason why these songs didn't make it onto the album. The producers/musicians more than likely didn't consider them good enough for the original album.

It happens with a lot of older albums and I have uncovered some gems that would've been lost to me through this method, like Marvin Gaye's B-sides on "What's Going On?" and some of the Parliament-Funkadelic re-releases but on the whole this practice annoys the hell out of me. Anyone else?

SligoBrewer
28/02/2007, 8:36 PM
it is the most annoying thing..

when you spend 25 euro on a cd and the 4 months later you see it in sale with a dvd or extra disc..agh!

THE ORIGINAL FANS SHOULD BE REWARDED! NOT BLOW INS!

Risteard
28/02/2007, 9:21 PM
No.
I think its a good idea.
Recently i've bought re-releases of the Holy Bible and Everything Must Go aswell as Mercury Revs Deserter Songs.
Like the additional material.
However, i do think releasing albums with two different covers or the same single in 2 different versions with different B-sides is a bit of a rip-off.

BohsPartisan
28/02/2007, 10:44 PM
Recently i've bought re-releases of the Holy Bible
The extra material on THB 10th anniversary edition is quality.
Sometimes you get ones that aren't worth it but THB definitely is.

Risteard
01/03/2007, 12:32 AM
Live at Sin-ë is another good one. Jeff Buckley.
Original was a bit of a rip-off iirc.

Mad Moose
02/03/2007, 2:03 PM
I think Stereophonic's did this with Just Enough Education. They re-released after a short period of time with Handbags and Gladrags on the re-release.

It annoyed me at the time. The compilation albums always annoy me. Those Best of's and Now are over released. These album's are usually personal choice. Best of 90's for example. Its going to be a personal choice and it doesn't necessarily mean the album will reflect what I or anybody else would consider to be the best of.

RogerMilla
02/03/2007, 2:07 PM
agreed risteard , the new live at sin e is awesome
that nusrat fatah ali kahn track is brilliant , although how close to the original i'm not sure!!

Risteard
02/03/2007, 3:18 PM
few links to it on youtube Roger, the Nusrat one that is.
Was hopeing it'd be just him and a sitar but its a load of them in a circle, sounds a bit like primal screaming in places but interesting nonetheless.
His lyrics are worth looking up, some are more like prayers but iirc Yeh Jo Halka Halka is about a bar-maid.

osarusan
02/03/2007, 3:23 PM
What annoys me is when somebody releases a "best of" or a "Greatest hits" and, usually at the bottom of the tracklist, one or two titles have a * beside them, denoting "*previously unreleased". How in hell can it be a greatest hit if it hasnt been released?

Make sure you have enough songs to fill the album before releasing it.

CollegeTillIDie
04/03/2007, 8:17 PM
What annoys me is when somebody releases a "best of" or a "Greatest hits" and, usually at the bottom of the tracklist, one or two titles have a * beside them, denoting "*previously unreleased". How in hell can it be a greatest hit if it hasnt been released?

Make sure you have enough songs to fill the album before releasing it.

That usually means they had three new songs recorded and not enough for an original album when the light bulb flashes.... release a compilation :D