PDA

View Full Version : Today's Sun

red bellied
28/02/2007, 10:47 AM
Sligo boss Rob McDonald wants to land centre half Zoltan Vasas after been told he cannot sign Greg Strong.

Mc Donald is bidding to sign 29 year old Hungarian defender Vasas along with a winger and a striker before the transfer deadline tonight. Mc Donald said "He is 6 foot 4 inches leftside and has a good pedigree but the downside we havent seen him play."

Strong played for Sligo in a friendly and Mc Donald was keen on signing him but he said "The board turned it down so I have other targets as well as Zoltan. I am looking at a Scottish winger and a Congolese striker who has been playing in Germany."

Dodge
28/02/2007, 10:55 AM
Signing players on pedigree leads to disaster...

showgies
28/02/2007, 10:59 AM
"but the downside we havent seen him play."

Dear oh dear oh dear..........I smell desperation :mad:

red bellied
28/02/2007, 11:07 AM
Heard the Scottish winger is only back playing football after having a year out.

McSligo
28/02/2007, 11:33 AM
Sligo boss Rob McDonald wants to land centre half Zoltan Vasas after been told he cannot sign Greg Strong.

Mc Donald is bidding to sign 29 year old Hungarian defender Vasas along with a winger and a striker before the transfer deadline tonight. Mc Donald said "He is 6 foot 4 inches leftside and has a good pedigree but the downside we havent seen him play."

Strong played for Sligo in a friendly and Mc Donald was keen on signing him but he said "The board turned it down so I have other targets as well as Zoltan. I am looking at a Scottish winger and a Congolese striker who has been playing in Germany."

"The board turned it down so I have other targets as well as Zoltan. I am looking at a Scottish winger and a Congolese striker who has been playing in Germany."

I think unless we hear breaking news on new signings from the showgrounds today then Rob McDonald could be struggling. I do not get good vibes here between Manager and Board...... If relationships are strained before the first ball is kicked in anger than what hope do we have. The board must support the manager or else there will be a lot of empty seats in the showgrounds this season, and even more next season when we are back playing against Kilkenny and Monaghan etc.

Call me a pessimist, but I do not see a whole lot to look forward to on the football front!

red metal
28/02/2007, 11:44 AM
I found this but no picture.It seems he was a left full at shefield weds and not a center half!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/s/sheff_wed/4679017.stm

Rory H
28/02/2007, 11:45 AM
toolan said strong left for personal reasons in the weekender

so misleading reports already

as for this hungarian and the other 2 lads...why not...better than nothing

neutrino
28/02/2007, 12:18 PM
board saying to a manager you cant sign him ? if that's the case, it's very worrying as it can only mean they couldnt afford to sign him. which is strange since alot of players have left meaning on last years budget there should be lot's of scope to sign players. but seems they must have cut the budget.

the treasurer, fergal keavney, left the club. i heard he was very good with purse strings, so i'd be worried now.

something doesnt seem right at the showgrounds this year. alot of work around ground, apparently not getting done. lack of players. board wont like mcdonald telling press it was becuase of them that strong didnt sign. was toolan's excuse on strong just a cover ? is the manager being frustated by them ? all very fractious at the minute.

club cannot afford to lose everything that's been built up in the last few years. relegation would be a disaster. having waited so long for promotion since our last relegation, it would be devastating.

red bellied
28/02/2007, 12:26 PM
Heard Strong wanted to stay in the UK and travel over for matches.

showgies
28/02/2007, 12:32 PM
Surely we should all have foreseen this situation when Rob was appointed.

Budget remaining the same versus Going full time........lets do the maths !

No extra money versus Need more money.........????????

avvenalaf
28/02/2007, 1:32 PM
Anyone (especially Midget) hear a rumour that Robbie Fowler is coming on loan?

Redzer
28/02/2007, 2:12 PM
Heard Strong wanted to stay in the UK and travel over for matches.

I heard the same. Plus his wage demands were way of the mark. I only saw him the once but for me he lacked pace. McDonald should have seen that also.

sligored
28/02/2007, 5:09 PM
vasas arrived in showgrounds this morning - cassidys work . there seems to be a problem with a work permit for the congolese guy.

red bellied
12/03/2007, 12:59 PM
Strong playing for Halifax Town and scores on his debut.

http://www.halifaxcourier.co.uk/ViewArticle.aspx?ArticleID=2113395&SectionID=701

Fivesilver
12/03/2007, 1:07 PM
"I had the chance to take up a player-coach role in Ireland," he said.

"It was something I was interested in and turned down four or five other clubs to go.

"I went over there, but my wife is seven and a half months pregnant and it was not fair to leave here when I was flying there on a Thursday and coming back on a Sunday night."

If Rob was so insistent on getting rid of O'Grady because he wouldn't go full-time, I can understand the MC not wanting to splash out the money on a player-coach who would only be in Sligo for half the week, including the match.

feo123
12/03/2007, 5:04 PM
burns was the same as him though

Fivesilver
13/03/2007, 12:21 PM
Fair point, but if Rob had the choice, would he have kept Burns if he wouldn't be in Sligo full-time?