roveroz
27/02/2007, 11:27 AM
Hi there,

I'm working on a documentary about Irish cricket. I know it's a long way
from the showgrounds. But just wondering if anyone has any opinions on
cricket in Ireland.

Have you played the game?
Do you like or dislike the sport?
Will you be watching Ireland at the cricket world cup next month?

Sorry that this is not a football request but I'm keen to see how grass roots
supporters in Ireland feel about the sport.

Cheers
P

osarusan
27/02/2007, 3:02 PM
Have not played to game at any organised level, but played with mates and so on. I have tried, and mostly failed, to get someting going here in Japan.

I think it is a great sport, one of true skill and great tactical skill. Just a shame it can take so bloody long.

Bottle of Tonic
27/02/2007, 3:14 PM
I think people are more receptive to it than maybe a few years ago, but that might be just me!
There are so many sports ahead of it in Ireland and it suffers a bit from a stuffy Trinity College type image - "Bravo, Cecil!" etc.
Can't see it ever getting much bigger in Ireland. It's not the kind of game kids can just pick up through mucking about with a couple of mates on the street, whereas it's much easier to head out with a ball or a hurl and develop an interest in the sport.

OwlsFan
27/02/2007, 4:57 PM
Hi there,

I'm working on a documentary about Irish cricket. I know it's a long way
from the showgrounds. But just wondering if anyone has any opinions on
cricket in Ireland.

Have you played the game?
Do you like or dislike the sport?
Will you be watching Ireland at the cricket world cup next month?

Sorry that this is not a football request but I'm keen to see how grass roots
supporters in Ireland feel about the sport.

Cheers
P

Yep, I played the game at school and then helped form a club some years later (Sandyford CC www.sandyfordcc.org) in 1984 and have played the game ever since. In the words of Bob Marley: "I don't like cricket, I love it".

I will watch the World Cup but I love watching Test matches, particularly when England are involved. Since we don't really compete with England at this level, this is the ONLY sport I hope England do well in. Obviously, if Ireland were to meet England in the WC, it would be come on you boys in green.

You'll be better off contacting the Leinster Cricket Union if you want to know the opinion of grassroot cricket supporters in Ireland:

http://www.cricketeurope2.net/LEINSTER/home.shtml