PDA

View Full Version : post on EL message board

pconnor
21/12/2002, 11:51 AM
A post on the eircom league message board quotes an article in todays Irish Independent.

It talks about the league requesting finincial info from each club. The article states that the whole thing was started by a Jim Roddy from Derry city.

Does this put some meat on the bones of claims made by Seàn Drog.
:mad:

Sean Drog
21/12/2002, 10:01 PM
its cklaims in the article that a clubs company was struck off, I think everyone knows that this was us and that the club was working with the FAI to change this situ but it appears that Derry are using everything they have to get us thrown out of the league , the Ireland on Sunday article a few weeks back has given them plenty of ammo to possibly cause a lot of heartache for our club.

Why do Derry have it in for us? To claim that they are doing it for the good of thr league is simply bull****e. The Derry supporters a last week attacked me for suggesting that their club was taking action against us -well I would be interested in hearing their thoughts now.

This won't be forgotton.

MariborKev
21/12/2002, 11:33 PM
Attacked you?

You are showing signs of paranoia I think Sean

The article states

"Allen requested details of the structure of each club; the issued share capital and lists of shareholders and the names and addresses of the people who control the operation of the club.

He also wanted details of medical, public and employers liability insurance policies, and a copy of the club's most recent set of audited accounts. "

Hardly rocket science now is it?????????

Also, Jim Roddy states

"Problems with debt can be sorted out "
"we have a chance to sort this thing out now"

So we asked that all clubs stand up to the rules- this time next eyars if you don't submit this information then it will be UEFA that come knocking

MariborKev
24/12/2002, 12:22 AM
This was posted on the Derry board in a thread related to Drogs fans feelings towards us

"A few weeks ago a Drogheda official asked to borrow £50,000 from the EL.
He claimed that his club had "temporary cash-flow problems".
Jim Roddy rightfully pointed out that DCFC were refused any help whatsoever when we were in financial difficulty.
Drogheda's application was refused.
A short time later it was discovered that Drogheda has not paid a tax bill for five years! They had not paid any rent on their ground ( which is owned by the EL) for three years! Their company has been wound up but nthe new owners were basically the same people!
In fact before they could play DCFC in the recent match, the EL had to pay their insurence.
Drogheda had signed four new players despite knowing they couldn't fulfill their contracts. This sort of behaviour puts honest clubs like DCFC at a disadvantage. In fact as you know Drogheda won the match with their illegally signed players!
Jim Roddy was acting in his capacity as a member of the EL Board Of Control not necessarily as a Director of DCFC. But Jim just wants a level playing field and a fair crack of the whip. "

So you can slag us all you want

DruggyDrog
24/12/2002, 1:39 AM
All well and good, Maribor, but who, may i ask, is the source for that thread?
Just because the EL didn't help out Derry, doesn't mean they can't help out any other teams. not everyone can turn to a superclub across the water for a one-off money spinner. Different clubs have different necessities to survive.

If you or your moles wnat to delve any further into this whole mess, you will be surprised as to how many clubs owe more than Drogheda united FC. Just as in the title farce last year, i don't think that clubs should have to pay the maximum penalty for administrative ****-ups.

You get Celtic over for every EL club and then we'll talk about level playing fields.

Would the possibility of Derry being dragged down have any influence over Roddy's meddling. Make your own mind up on that one

Cosmo
24/12/2002, 2:26 PM
Why not add the two european supermights, man u and real madrid to that.

Whilst I can see and agree with some of your points Maribor, dont ever talk about the eircom league being a level playing field. Were not all as lucky as derry to be able to get celtic, manu and real madrid over to help us out financially - we have to get help elsewhere (and not financial help from the eircom league - we had some cheek asking for that in my opinion!! - should never have happened!!).

A bit of understanding and constructive advise from mr. roddy and the rest of the eircom league board would help us get the house of this wonderful club back in order!! (unlike the present threats at present!! - wont help us at all)

MariborKev
24/12/2002, 10:41 PM
FAO all Drogs

I thought my last post would have cleared up any problems but it only seems to have led to more.

My "mole" was a poster on the Derry board known as "mburns". He isn't a director but works tirelessly for the club and would have the ear of the board. My assumption, though I have spoken to him about it yet, was that he read about the issue on one of the message boards and then asked Jim Roddy directly about it. He took this information and then posted it on the board. He is not a member of this forum, but if anyone wants to question him any further then surf over to the Derry site and send him a private message.

Your claim that we became involved as there is a chance that Derry could be releagted is s***e, if youse were thrown out of election the League then you would have to apply for re-election to the FIRST DIVISION. The implications as regards the relegation playoff are unknown as yet, but I would assume that yes, if Drogheda were thrown out, then one of the relegation spots would be filled.

Yes, we got LUCKY, due to the fact that we have John Hume we managed to get Celtic, Man Utd and Real Madrid. However I will let you know that the Real Madrid match only pulled a half full attendance due to the scepticism of the Derry public. There are 100,000 people in the City of Derry- we raised £124,000 from all those games and all those other fundraising activities- you can work out the math of the per capita contribution of the Derry public.

I am not making excuses, but there are more complicated taxation laws for players employed by Derry than all the other clubs in the League, as we do not have the luxury of the tax relief for sportsmen etc, and other VAT implications. At the time of Derry's problems, the Board of Management turned down our request for aid, so why should they bail youse out again, they have already allowed three years grace on the rent of the O2 Park. If Drogheda were bailed out, it just gives more credence to all the claim that the League is a Dublin and District outfit, not a great sign to the provincial clubs.

For example, at our FAI/Irish Star Forum, questions were raised as to the provision of travelling expense for ourselves and Cork. Last year we travelled over 4000 miles and Cork over 6000. Pats on the other hand travelled under 1000. I know that you are neither, but you have numerous shorter away trips than oureleves. However Jim Roddy told us, that all the other clubs were not in favour of any expenses account- now tell us about level playing fields.

As for level playing fields, at the minute you are correct. However turn it round. According to rumour, you haven't paid rent in three years on 02 Park. I am certain that if we didn't play Derry City Council, who own the Brandywell, for one year never mind three, we would be have had to find an alternative venue.

However it is not fair that a club such as yours can indiscriminatly continue to sign players without financial backing. I can assure you, that AT NO TIME, did Derry players have to defer wages as the Drogs players did.

The title race last year is a different issue, your case is not an administrative f**k-up, it is a blatent attempt to withold information and therefore pretend that there is a not a problem. If you remember, our good friend Ollie Byrne was involved in the rewriting of the rule book over the summer, so that the rules should be FULLY implemented.

What do youse want- as Roddy said in the article, "Money problems can be sorted out". Constructive criticism- you can only keep taking the softly softly approach with clubs. You seem to have a slush fund at the start of the season when you decide to sign the world and his brother- why not just pay your rent our your tax bill

Oh, and buy the way- Happy Christmas!!!

Dulux_Drog
25/12/2002, 9:01 PM
Look, there's no doubt that mistakes have been made at the club, but the financial situation was blown way out of proportion by a press eager to get their claws into the Eircom League.

The fact is, a lot of clubs have got themselves into worse trouble than the Drogs and haven't had the book thrown at them.
We're not asking for a handout - just a bit of time to sort things out.

I've been around the country, and the best fans in the E.L, without a doubt, are Derry City fans.
I'm sure the vast majority of them would rather stay up because they're too good to go down, than to see us made an example of.

And Merry Christmas to you too!