PDA

View Full Version : Bring back Noel to save Liam?

pete
20/12/2002, 11:09 AM
When Hartigan left city under Murphy were always gonna suffer away from home.

I can't remember how we did on out travels last season but when Murphy took over from Mountfield & got into the Inter Floppo Cupo i think the away "tactics" meerly consisted of 9 men behind the ball, Noel up front (to try & hang onto the hoofs) & Ollie hitting teams on the counter down the left.

We no longer have the players or the capability to do that.

Thoughts?

Gone Away
20/12/2002, 1:33 PM
Well I have it on very good authority that Hartigan is signing for us again in time for next season.

What a backwards step.

patsh
20/12/2002, 1:35 PM
1. Our tactics should be a little bit more sophisticated than Charlton style hoofball. Who decided on this as being our only tactic?
2. We just lost a proven striker in James Mulligan. Anyone know why?
3. Reynolds and Greg can win the ball in midfield. George and Grady can play the passes. CP and J O'F can score with proper passes. Why says we must hoof it at all?
4. One of our central defenders is incapable of playing anymore and is the one most guilty of hoofing. Why has he not been dropped?

Now I do not pretend to know very much about soccer, but, imho, surely all the above points are reasonable. They also point to
1. No coaching.
2. No coherent gameplan.
3. No ambition.
4. No leadership.
5. No management skills.

I feel that looking at City over the entire season, we have players who are good enough to win the eL, but we are a long way from doing that. Therefore, I believe only one conclusion can be drawn from the present state of the club.

pete
20/12/2002, 1:54 PM
Originally posted by oddboy
3. Reynolds and Greg can win the ball in midfield. George and Grady can play the passes. CP and J O'F can score with proper passes. Why says we must hoof it at all?

O'Grady IMO is not good enough on the ball - I think Greg & Rennie have confidence on the ball - George has the best vision for passes in the team.

Unfortunately it seems many of the players we have were good players before or when they joined city but do not seem to be improving.

Only for John O'Flynn we'd currently be trying to stop ourselves being dragged into a relegation dog fight.

Ah sure Noel clearly better than Mulligan plus he'll never speak up.

We could possibly finish the season undefeated at home yet have a negative goal difference at this stage.

6 out of (11 games) 33 away points is absolutely shocking.

:(

Gone Away
20/12/2002, 1:58 PM
I think that Woods has an awful lot to answer for. he was absolutely rubbish last night. He did precisely fook all.

I thought Warren did a very good job. he must be worth a starting place every week at this point.