PDA

View Full Version : Portugal

sligoman
26/02/2007, 12:01 AM
Thinking about going here for two or three months in the summer. Anyone been? Best places/Availability of jobs etc.? I was there for one day before, can't remember much.

Soper
27/02/2007, 10:12 PM
I'm flattered that Micheal Palin supports Rovers;)

Closed Account 2
03/03/2007, 1:28 PM
I've been there many times, Lisbon is the nicest city in Southern Europe, Coimbra, Oporto, Aviero and Sintra (nr Lisbon) are good too.

In terms of jobs do you speak Portuguese? If not then it will be tricky to get much work outside of the Algarve (which is not the best bit of Portugal).

sligoman
03/03/2007, 5:52 PM
In terms of jobs do you speak Portuguese? If not then it will be tricky to get much work outside of the Algarve (which is not the best bit of Portugal).I know one Portugese word and that's all:D. What exactly do you mean by the Algarve not been the best place? In what way like?:confused:

Closed Account 2
05/03/2007, 8:19 AM
Well the Algarve is ok... some parts are nice (around Lagos is ok) but most of it is like the Costa Del Sol. It's very touristy, imagine Southend but with sunshine... I don't think you'll experience that much of Portuguese culture in the Algarve.

In my experience other parts of Portugal are much better, Lisbon, Porto and Coimbra all offer much more than the Algarve. You could try teaching English in Lisbon or Porto, as I think there is a fairly big demand for that there.

Try and learn a bit of Portuguese before you go out there, it will help a lot and will give you a better chance of getting a job.

Here is a good place to start:-
http://www.bbc.co.uk/languages/other/portuguese/

Paddyfield
05/03/2007, 10:12 PM
Wages are less in Portugal than here.

PS Will you not miss the joys of Sligo Rovers if you go away for a few months in the summer? :D

sligoman
05/03/2007, 10:16 PM
Wages are less in Portugal than here.

PS Will you not miss the joys of Sligo Rovers if you go away for a few months in the summer? :DWages are less but so is the cost of living.

Will miss Rovers games alright but sure with the way the club is at the moment, might do no harm:D.

gustavo
23/05/2008, 10:23 AM
Going to Carvoeiro in the Algarve next month for a week , Anyone been , any tips advice?

Billsthoughts
23/05/2008, 12:48 PM
Been to the Algarve. Its alrite but like said above very toursity.
Sligoman would you not go to Greece for the summer? Work is easy to find and not having greek is not an issue. I went one summer and I think I have been back about 4 times since. One of the islands near(enough) to Athens. Dont go to Herrsonassos or anywhere there are rakes of Irish and English.