PDA

View Full Version : Talk of Setanta Cup reform

Poor Student
25/02/2007, 4:42 PM
It was in one of the tabloids today that a meeting has taken place with a view to balancing out the inequality in the Setanta Cup due to it taking place in opposite ends of the season for LOI and IL clubs. Playing one Saturday every four weeks was mentioned. Sadly that's about as specific as the article got and I can't remember which paper it was.

sonofstan
25/02/2007, 4:48 PM
Something like what they do in the CL maybe? half the matches now, at the beginning of the EL season/ end of IL one, and half in August/ Sept - end of El/ beginning of IL?

kdjaC
25/02/2007, 5:09 PM
Linfield manager mentioned that last week. As crowds are down or something when they would get more on a sat afernoon.

kdjac

Risteard
25/02/2007, 5:23 PM
While i think this is a good and fair idea, i reckon the IL teams would really be shown up if the Republics teams and Derry were in-season.

A face
25/02/2007, 8:54 PM
While i think this is a good and fair idea, i reckon the IL teams would really be shown up if the Republics teams and Derry were in-season.

I agree here aswell, and no disrespect to the IL at all. It think having it at the start of our season it benefits both league this way. The IL clubs are match fit and it makes for a much better competition.

Dr.Nightdub
25/02/2007, 11:59 PM
Lads, bearing in mind that it's a cup competition so not necessarily a true barometer of which league is stronger, is all the patronising of the IL teams not kinda overlooking the fact that Linfield won it the first time it was held?

JW.
26/02/2007, 11:47 AM
I think the midweek thing works fine. It's a novetly thing as well. The attendances haven't been too bad really.

Shelsman
26/02/2007, 12:52 PM
Lads, bearing in mind that it's a cup competition so not necessarily a true barometer of which league is stronger, is all the patronising of the IL teams not kinda overlooking the fact that Linfield won it the first time it was held?

Yes but in reality 3 out of the 4 semi finalists last year were from the eL. I think it will be the same this year, though having St.Pats in it might tip the balance back in favour of the Irish League this year ( I'm sure Pat's will be strong once they've gelled, just not sure they can turn it on so quickly ).

Shelsman
26/02/2007, 12:53 PM
I think the midweek thing works fine. It's a novetly thing as well. The attendances haven't been too bad really.

Yes, floodlit football and some good telly to go home to. There's also the potential to draw in non-eL fans as it's the only televised footie on a Monday night ( that I know of ).

Dodge
26/02/2007, 12:59 PM
If there's any change to schedules it'll be because Setanta Sports want to move the fixtures to fir their schedules. No other reason at all

JW.
26/02/2007, 3:45 PM
If there's any change to schedules it'll be because Setanta Sports want to move the fixtures to fir their schedules. No other reason at all

Spot on.

pete
27/02/2007, 9:58 AM

Was at the Dungannon game last night so only saw some of the Setanta coverage however I heard they didn't show footage from anywhere expect United Park. I would take this as a sign that Setanta losing interest. I believe this is that last year of the agreed 3 year deal? Have Setanta said they will extend?

I suppose we should not be surprised they lose interest in irish football as they acquire more glamorous events...

charliesboots
27/02/2007, 10:17 AM
According to Niall Cogley's piece in our programme last night Setanta have signed up until 2011

Jerry The Saint
27/02/2007, 10:17 AM
Was at the Dungannon game last night so only saw some of the Setanta coverage however I heard they didn't show footage from anywhere expect United Park. I would take this as a sign that Setanta losing interest. I believe this is that last year of the agreed 3 year deal? Have Setanta said they will extend?

I suppose we should not be surprised they lose interest in irish football as they acquire more glamorous events...

I think the message from Cogley in last night's programme said something about investing a further €2m and were extending it for 4 years. Bad sign that they wouldn't even show brief highlights from the other games (nothing bar Drogs-Linfield on TV3 either).

Mr_T
27/02/2007, 11:29 AM
DO they still put the goals up on their website? Anyone got a link?

pete
27/02/2007, 12:27 PM
DO they still put the goals up on their website? Anyone got a link?

They only had cameras at United Park so not much to show...

Dodge
27/02/2007, 1:05 PM
Pats should have clips of our goals on our website this evening

wws
27/02/2007, 1:16 PM
Pats should have clips of our goals on our website this evening

???

doubt it. later in the week more realistic

Dodge
27/02/2007, 1:27 PM
Lazy shoite

kdjaC
27/02/2007, 6:16 PM
Yes but in reality 3 out of the 4 semi finalists last year were from the eL. I think it will be the same this year, though having St.Pats in it might tip the balance back in favour of the Irish League this year ( I'm sure Pat's will be strong once they've gelled, just not sure they can turn it on so quickly ).

Spot on :D

kdjac

Burny89
27/02/2007, 7:42 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sAeR6_-1kM

Derrys goal

galwayhoop
27/02/2007, 7:51 PM
i think the setanta cup just shows us up for the lack of interest we (as a nation) have in our own national league. while we are not qualifing for the group stages of the champions lge/uefa cup the setanta cup should be grasped for what it is - the top teams north and south of the border competing against each other. it shouldn't matter what day it's on, the majority or trips are no longer than 4 hours each way and would result in 1 day off work absolute maximum - and more than likely just a couple of hours. it's not as if you need to take 2/3 days off work or anything!

sadly the general public have not latched onto it as much as hoped and it is just regular eL/IL supporters who go to the games.

personally i would love to see the tournament extended to incorporate scotish and welsh teams but this is unfeasible i know. but i would even welcome if english championship, top welsh teams and scotish teams (excluding celtic & rangers) were invited. it would surely improve the standard and profile of our own league.

eirebhoy
27/02/2007, 10:51 PM
Ndo's goal is on the Pats site. Just a short clip though.

Dr.Nightdub
27/02/2007, 10:52 PM
Probably not the right thread, but what were the attendances like at last night's other games? There were 1600 and something in Richmond which is about 400 (33%) more than our League average for last season. I'd've liked far more obviously but at least it's a move in the right direction.

I would've thought the Oval and United Park would be relatively handy trips for the away fans?

dcfcsteve
27/02/2007, 11:09 PM
Probably not the right thread, but what were the attendances like at last night's other games? There were 1600 and something in Richmond which is about 400 (33%) more than our League average for last season. I'd've liked far more obviously but at least it's a move in the right direction.

I would've thought the Oval and United Park would be relatively handy trips for the away fans?

2,781 official attendance at the Oval, with more Derry fans than Glens.

Reportedly c. 450 Linfield fans at Drogheda.

dcfcsteve
27/02/2007, 11:10 PM
i think the setanta cup just shows us up for the lack of interest we (as a nation) have in our own national league. while we are not qualifing for the group stages of the champions lge/uefa cup the setanta cup should be grasped for what it is - the top teams north and south of the border competing against each other. it shouldn't matter what day it's on, the majority or trips are no longer than 4 hours each way and would result in 1 day off work absolute maximum - and more than likely just a couple of hours. it's not as if you need to take 2/3 days off work or anything!

sadly the general public have not latched onto it as much as hoped and it is just regular eL/IL supporters who go to the games.

GH - why would anyone who currently doesn't have an interest in the IL or EL suddenly develop an interest in the Setanta Cup ?:confused: It just doesn't make any sense.

eirebhoy
27/02/2007, 11:48 PM
GH - why would anyone who currently doesn't have an interest in the IL or EL suddenly develop an interest in the Setanta Cup ?:confused: It just doesn't make any sense.
Start of the season always has relatively high attendances.

gspain
28/02/2007, 9:55 AM
Drogheda v Linfield was sold out. Only 400 tickets given to away fans. Great atmosphere and very enjoyable game although the wrong result for our league. I thought Drogheda were unlucky not to get a draw but full credit to Linfield who played really well.

pól-dcfc
28/02/2007, 2:58 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sAeR6_-1kM

Derrys goal

"Midget wrestling" :D :D :D

Pat's a legend!

ccfcgirl
28/02/2007, 5:05 PM
Im going to put up Clips of the Swifts vs Cork City games later on the Cork City site .Even though it was a 0-0 game it was well worth the trip....I think it would be a good idea if teams from Wales , Scotland and England were invited in to Setanta Cup.