PDA

View Full Version : Collingwood Cup

eamoss
23/02/2007, 12:25 PM
Not sure where to post this so mods please move into right fourm!

Irish Universities Collingwood Cup (http://www.fai.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1729) Is anyone playing in this?

I will find out on monday if im in the NUIM squad but if I dont make it I will be there anyway! Sometimes its not good being a fresher on the senior squad!

Raheny Red
23/02/2007, 1:32 PM
Always wondered as to where I should post college football :confused:

Larry 'da' Wyse
23/02/2007, 1:42 PM
Always wondered as to where I should post college football :confused:

I posted Harding Cup info/scorers/updates on the general Eircom League forum last year.

CollegeTillIDie
24/02/2007, 7:54 AM
UCD field a team of Intermediate and Under 21's in this competition. They have ceased using any first teamers since 1995.

Professor Collingwood of UCD back in the 19teens put up a trophy which was first competed for in 1914. There were one or two Inter-Varsity friendlies held in 1912 and 1913 between UCD and Queen's University Belfast. It became a formal competition in 1914. Because of the First World War it was next held in 1920. It has been held annually almost ever since. Initially it was just Queen's and UCD who participated. Trinity joined the fun in the 1920's and since that time it has grown and grown with the groups and knock out format we know today having evovled into a 5-day long extravaganza held over a Monday-Friday. It reverted to a straight knockout last year.
The original trophy was allegedly dumped in the Boyne by a Victorious Queen's squad on their way home, and a new trophy was donated to be competed for. It retained the name Collingwood Cup in honour of the first donor. It was not held on one or two occasions in the 1930's when the IFA did not permit Queens University to participate.
UCD have won it 40 times, but not since 1994.

If there are any graduates of Queen's University here, your lot have won it 20 times but I need specific years as I am trying to compile a complete winners list for the centenary in 2014. I have all the winners from the Second World War to date compiled on a spread sheet.

Larks
24/02/2007, 6:58 PM
is it on in DCU grounds this year? Are they any good?

LeixlipRed
24/02/2007, 8:22 PM
Not sure where to post this so mods please move into right fourm!

Irish Universities Collingwood Cup (http://www.fai.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1729) Is anyone playing in this?

I will find out on monday if im in the NUIM squad but if I dont make it I will be there anyway! Sometimes its not good being a fresher on the senior squad!

What's the standard of our team this year? I picked up a serious injury the year before I started in Maynooth and havent played XI-a-side since so I never got to wear that manky yellow jersey :D

CollegeTillIDie
25/02/2007, 7:14 AM
What's the standard of our team this year? I picked up a serious injury the year before I started in Maynooth and havent played XI-a-side since so I never got to wear that manky yellow jersey :D

*cough* no worse than your avatar * cough* :D

CollegeTillIDie
25/02/2007, 7:15 AM
is it on in DCU grounds this year? Are they any good?

Yes it is on their grounds as far as I know and some of their pitches would be let's say, in use 12 months of the year... get the picture?

One of the pitches which will be used is normally a GAA/American Football field.

LeixlipRed
25/02/2007, 2:08 PM
*cough* no worse than your avatar * cough* :D

More of an orangey yellow but the blue collar makes the one in my avatar. ****ing hot it is :D

Aberdonian Stu
26/02/2007, 9:53 AM
One of the pitches which will be used is normally a GAA/American Football field.

That is inaccurate. The DCU Saints American football team train on the rugby pitch not the GAA pitch.

As I train at the DCU Sports ground on a weekly basis I can confirm that at least one of the GAA pitches and the Rugby pitch are certainly not in the best of condition.

I would be amazed if they use the Rugby pitch as it's got far too little grass on it at the mo.

Schumi
26/02/2007, 12:25 PM
Always wondered as to where I should post college football :confused:UCD forum? :D