PDA

View Full Version : points

RedHat
19/12/2002, 7:43 AM
Driving into Work this morning listening to a Ry Cooder CD - all instrumental tracks , my thoughts drifted to Drogheda United Football club.
1. I fear that we may not stay up.
2. We need to start scoring fast. Our Strikers will have to score 10 goals between them to keep us from finishing last.
3. If we survive we will still lose Todd, Grey, Taylor and maybe Fabio. If we go down you can double that figure.
4. Harry bought from the UK. I Believe this is because our reputation is so bad in Ireland that we find it hard to attract established players.
5. The last two months has just added to the poor reputation of the club.
6. What the hell is going on in the boardroom and when will we be told what happened over the last two months.
7. Just how serious is all this meddling by Derry - and is there cause for it ?
8. Commerical Dept ? What's going on there ? Great to see Kids in DUFC shirts ; People wearing hats and scarves - but did they get involved in the boardroom issues and forget the commerical side - Is the Christmas Dinner Dance going ahead ? What about the corporate bash with Dunphy ? How do the players feel when supporters don't turn up at these functions.
9. Are Peter and Kieran still involved ?
10. Will the community ever get behind the club.

Apologises for the negativity - but a lot of people i talk to have asked these questions and are getting disillusioned.

WindmillWarrior
19/12/2002, 10:49 AM
Pints, yep, think I'll have to go for one lunch time, need the cure after the night I had last night, mama mia!

Points, good points, I agree with most of what you say and I do not know the answers to the rest but do you really think we will lose Todd, Grey, Taylor and maybe Fabio if we stay up? I don't know, I think they are probably happy with the, ahem, money they are on now!

Drogrough
19/12/2002, 10:58 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by WindmillWarrior
[B]Pints, yep, think I'll have to go for one lunch time, need the cure after the night I had last night, mama mia!

You're not the only one :(

Drogrough
19/12/2002, 11:42 AM
Mr. Redhat,

In response to your last point, “Will the community ever get behind the club”, Well, the way I see it a club is supported on 4 levels:

1. The core support: Those hardy souls who go week in, week out, home and away, no matter how the club is doing and who they are playing

2. The broad support: fans who go to most games and have for years, but they have lapses, periods of disillusion, but they always come back. (I count myself in category)

3. Potential Support: Those who are just itching to support the club they can be proud of. But something always stops them, bad form, bad publicity, the “glamour of “sky”, bad weather, whatever.

4. And then you have “Community Support” a whole town that is behind the club, proud of the club and has the best interests of the club at heart.

I think that we do fairly on categories 1 and 2. We have way too much of category 3. But category 4 is a disgrace. I sometimes wonder if this town wants a premier club, or, indeed, if they know they have a premier club. I despair of ever seeing the community ever get behind the club especially as this community only talks about the negative aspects of DUFC.

Sorry for the pessimism, but there you have it.

Ps Am I making any sense or am I still under the influence of last night’s copious intake of booze

:confused:

DruggyDrog
19/12/2002, 11:52 AM
Drogrough, do you need copious intakes of booze not to make sense!!!

Only messin, I actually agreee with what you have to say, weird or what!

Redhat, good points, but I do feel that if we stay up then we can hold on to most, if not all, those mentioned. Fabios lack of goals means he won't be as attractive to other clubs as he could be, and maybe I'm mad but i'd like to think the imports can show a bit of loyalty after a tough season.