PDA

View Full Version : Its all about the football

Sean Drog
19/12/2002, 8:36 AM
Right we have a massive match on Friday night, I'm flying back from the UK esp for it - so no snigering when I arrive in a shirt and tie, I'll literally be hoping from Manchester to Bray.

Anyway back to the match. I think we all agree that if we play as defensively as we did against Longford then we will be hammered. But the last time we played in Bray we also got hammered. So what do we do. Well I think the team is a completey different side than the on that lost in Bray, we are much better at the back and our new formation seems to suit our players. I have one worry about our formation and that is the midfield, teams are going through the center of our midfield far too easily and we are creating very little from this area of the field. Tierney is a great worker but no offence to him, his play seems very one sided and hence he doesn't create much but he is a good stopper of attacking moves by the opposition. Taylor has improved his game in recent weeks but he still isn't playing as well as he can or as well as he is being paid to play, he should be breaking from midfield more, he has the skill. Dempsey playing with the other two in the cntre is not working in my opinion, he has a great shot but rarely gets into a shooting position to use it. After 30 minutes of the game he seems out of it, which isn't on for a guy training fulltime and only in his twenties. He plays better on the wing. I would put Dunne on instead of him, he has the fight for 90 minutes.

Upfront I thought Quinn had a great game against Cork, hs ball control and link up play with Myler was very good. Now we didn't create too much in this match which suggests that we are better to put Fabio backin but should we play Quinn instead of Myler? he has better ball control and better speed and the Cork backline were afraid of him

COmments ? anyone?

Drogheda United Irelands Wee Club.

DrogMan
19/12/2002, 10:37 AM
Yeah I have to agree that Quinn played well. His control was very good and he dribbling and running off the ball was quite good aswell. The only thing that would stop me from putting him in again is that he didn't seem to have the killer edge when one on one with someone. I mean there was times in the game against Cork that when he had an opportunity to attack a player he just turned around and looked for help. Now I know that it was his first real start and he needs to have more games, but the risk is, do we drop Fabio who has the pace, maybe not the skill, to cause defences harm or do with stick with the same option. Now I wouldn't drop Andy, even though he hasn't set the world on fire he still has that nack of holding the ball up brilliantly and he is the only player I have ever seen that can win a free kick from nothing. I mean there was one stage on sunday where he was in the corner with two Cork players on him, and then he just fell and the ref gave a free to us. If that was anbody else then nothing would have been given. How does he do it???? So for this game as we play the ball quite long most of the time then I'd prefer to stick with Myler and Fabio, but if things are not going right then we have to make changes early and not in the 89th min!!!!!

Comon the SUPERDROGS!!!!!!

WindmillWarrior
19/12/2002, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by DrogMan
he is the only player I have ever seen that can win a free kick from nothing. I mean there was one stage on sunday where he was in the corner with two Cork players on him, and then he just fell and the ref gave a free to us. If that was anbody else then nothing would have been given. How does he do it????

How does he do it?
He dives, simple!
Btw Fabio and Myler up front, for sure, they'll do the business.

DrogMan
19/12/2002, 11:03 AM
Yes I know he dives!!! But he does it with such a grace that even if there was no player within 20 metres of hm and he dived he'd still get a free kick!!!!