PDA

View Full Version : Festivals

Kingdom
23/02/2007, 8:25 AM
Hey,

Seeing as this is the season for the festival lineups, I was wondering do any of you bee-boppers have any foreign festival recommendations. I've seen the lineup for Coachella and man is it something else.

Interpol, Jesus and MAry Chain, Artic Monkeys, Sonic Yoof, Dj Shadow, Faithless, Chilli Peppers (hate em), Arcade Fire DJ Tiesto, Kings of Leon, LCD Soundsytem, Hot Chip, Peter Bjorn and John, The Frames, The Fratellis, RATM, Happy Mondays, Paul Van Dyk (Excellent) Kaiser Chiefs, Damien Rice, Soulwax Rodrigo y Gabriela (!) CSS.
Excellent Lineup. Add in the CHemical Brothers and I'd be there in a flash. But unfortunately its on in a month and a half and with a 2 month old baby its not practical.

So we're on the lookout for a continental festival for the summer so that Nanny Kingdom can look after Junior Kingdom for a week.

Any ideas people?
I'm looking at Bennicassm in Valencia but I'd like to see any alternatives.

Neish
23/02/2007, 10:06 AM
I can't recomend Sziget http://www.sziget.hu/festival_english strongly enough. Its held on an Island on the Danube in the middle of Budapest I was there last year and had a excellent time. Last years line-up included Radiohead, The Prodigy, Iggy & The Stooges, Placebo, Therapy, Scissor Sisters and Ex Led Zepplin frontman Robert Plant's Band(whos name i can't remember) there was also a whole host of acts from just about every corner of the globe.

It is a bit of an endurance test though as it last a week (August 8th-15th this year) but at only €120 for the week including camping its a steal. It is also possible to get single day tickets or a ticket for several days. Food is fairly cheap and pints are about €1.50.

Planning to go again this year ther was abou 20-30 mates out with me last year and there were plenty of tri-colours dotted about the campsites.
This year is its 15th year Anniversary so there should be a very good line up, if ya check the website they have been letting the public vote for the top 10 acts they would like to seee at sziget.

Docboy
23/02/2007, 12:38 PM
Glastonbury, you would have loved it!

jebus
23/02/2007, 1:29 PM
Go to Sonar in Barcelona, doesn't matter who's playing, just bring quite a bit of drugs with you and you'll have the time of your life. The year I went DJ Yoda, Le Tigre, LCD Soundsystem, Chemical Brothers, Cut Chemist and a few others were playing there and it was the best festival I've ever been at

Kingdom
23/02/2007, 2:17 PM
I can't recomend Sziget http://www.sziget.hu/festival_english strongly enough. Its held on an Island on the Danube in the middle of Budapest I was there last year .......This year is its 15th year Anniversary so there should be a very good line up, if ya check the website they have been letting the public vote for the top 10 acts they would like to seee at sziget.

I remember you talking about it before Neish and I had looked at it before and its up there. And Dotsy I'm not able to go to Glastonbury as I've a prior commitment that weekend, but that was before they booked the Chemical Brothers. Damn.

Jebus how long ago did you go to Sonar? Is it dance music based or more general. I think a festival in Spain is more a runner as I'd hope to incorporate a sun holiday around it.

citizenerased
12/03/2007, 8:55 PM
was at the hurricane festival in germany the last 3 years in a row...excellent show, ridiculously good chilled atmosphere compared to oxegen, half the price of oxegen , 3 days long, nightclub in campsite,,and some nice german totty...was planning tp go this year but unfortunately have to go to carribean....deffo recommend it

betty swollox
12/03/2007, 10:22 PM
Was at Sziget last year, Best week of my life, could do with bein a week longer though as theres so much random stuff to do on the island!
The website really doent do the place justice(although they probably don't realise how crap our festivals are) Weather was excellent, toilets and showers were maintained properly. You can party for 48 hours solid as theres always somewhere on the island thats got a crowd and then just relax in a hammock for a day, or even treat yourself to a free massage.
Highlight for me was meeting a crew of spanish people in one of the dance tents and realising about 12 hours later after some serious partying that they didnt speak a word of english and i didnt speak a word of Spanish.
It was at about that stage that i wandered into some hare krishna tent and they gave me some free food, i fell asleep outside there tent and when i woke up later on and they were playing some hare krishna version of death-metal, freaked me out good

jebus
12/03/2007, 10:27 PM
Jebus how long ago did you go to Sonar? Is it dance music based or more general. I think a festival in Spain is more a runner as I'd hope to incorporate a sun holiday around it.

Was there two years ago. Its a full on dance/visual festival, Le Tigre and LCD Soundsystem were the only two rock-type band on the bill, and even they're more dance rock than anything. Still its well worth a look at the line-up to see whats on, even in and around Barcelona is a great laugh for the weekend. I'd recommend spending the week running up to the festival over there if you do go, we did and had a cracking week.

Don't think they've posted the line up yet, but when they do you'll get it at this website http://www.sonar.es/portal/eng/home.cfm

Neish
13/03/2007, 2:16 PM
Was at Sziget last year, Best week of my life, could do with bein a week longer though as theres so much random stuff to do on the island!
The website really doent do the place justice(although they probably don't realise how crap our festivals are) Weather was excellent, toilets and showers were maintained properly. You can party for 48 hours solid as theres always somewhere on the island thats got a crowd and then just relax in a hammock for a day, or even treat yourself to a free massage.
Highlight for me was meeting a crew of spanish people in one of the dance tents and realising about 12 hours later after some serious partying that they didnt speak a word of english and i didnt speak a word of Spanish.
It was at about that stage that i wandered into some hare krishna tent and they gave me some free food, i fell asleep outside there tent and when i woke up later on and they were playing some hare krishna version of death-metal, freaked me out good

Had a pretty similar experience myself with a few hungarians. I'd been up for about two days of partying more or less solid. Finally got a bit of kip only to be woken up about 2.5 hours later by the following "Engaland, engaland , engaland". Was fairly ****ed off cursing the english left right and centre, a few hours later I was up drinking with them and spent most of the rest of the week drinking with them" :rolleyes:

Where about were you camped, I was down beside the african village, really cool with the guys playing the drums around the campfire each night.

Can't wait to go again this year considering going back to a weekend bar job that i hated just so I can save enough to get there.

betty swollox
14/03/2007, 1:12 PM
was in the campsite somewhere, not to far from the showers, Loved the African village though, there wasnt much you couldnt get your hands on there;) At the african stage i saw a bloke who looked like snoop doggs identical twin play what resembled a milk carton while some hungarian lad in an iron maiden t-shirt murdered the bass guitar.
Security took my almost empty beer can off me when i was comming in from buda one day and told me i could get it back whenever i was leaving again, for the laugh i handed in my tiket 3 days later and they gave me back the empty beer can! Now thats sevice, had it been oxegen i probably would have been given a mild beating and sent on my way!
There was a good few clusters of tents with irish flags dotted round the island but generally avoided them as a lot of the irish were of the" this festival has lost its innocence "pretentious music snob variety, Everyone else was sound though!

Neish
14/03/2007, 5:13 PM
was in the campsite somewhere, not to far from the showers, Loved the African village though, there wasnt much you couldnt get your hands on there;) At the african stage i saw a bloke who looked like snoop doggs identical twin play what resembled a milk carton while some hungarian lad in an iron maiden t-shirt murdered the bass guitar.
Security took my almost empty beer can off me when i was comming in from buda one day and told me i could get it back whenever i was leaving again,
for the laugh i handed in my tiket 3 days later and they gave me back the empty beer can! Now thats sevice, had it been oxegen i probably would have been given a mild beating and sent on my way!
There was a good few clusters of tents with irish flags dotted round the island but generally avoided them as a lot of the irish were of the" this festival has lost its innocence "pretentious music snob variety, Everyone else was sound though!

Met a crowd of Irish at Therapy? and as you said saw quite a few tir-colours dotted around the campsite but didn't go out of my way to meet any of them.

Was camped just beside the bar that was close to the African Village showers myself.Its the little things the make it so good just like you mentioned about the can of beer, regular toilet cleaning and general cleaning to mention only a few. It really shows up some of the festivals in this country for the joke they are.

You for it again this year? Should be good with the 15th year anniversary and all. Roll on August 8th

Neish
28/03/2007, 5:13 PM
For anybody planning on travelling to Sziget the 1st list of confirmed act has been announced. Some of the acts which grabbed my attention

The Chemical Brothers
Faithless
The Good, the bad and the queen
The Hives
Madness
Nine Inch Nails
Gogol Bordello
Sinead O'Connor:confused:
Skatilites

for full list see http://www.sziget.hu/festival_english/programs/85741.html

NavanBohs
30/03/2007, 6:04 PM
Heading to the Download Festival in Donnington Park this year, just booked my flights last night and will be buying my ticket for it hopefully just after the Easter weekend. For about €240 or something, you get 5 nights camping (I'll only be there for 4) and 3 days of music.

Line-up so far...
Slayer, Marilyn Manson, Wolfmother, Killswitch Engage, Bring Me The Horizon, DevilDriver, Korn, Velvet Revolver, Lamb of God, DragonForce, Dimmu Borgir, Evanescence, Mötley Crüe, Gallows, 30 Seconds To Mars, Enter Shikari , Machine Head, Bowling For Soup, Megadeth, Shadows Fall, Buckcherry, Turbonegro, Dream Theater, Job for a Cowboy, Chimaira, Unearth, Stone Sour and Within Temptation.

Neish
07/04/2007, 12:05 PM
For anybody planning on travelling to Sziget the 1st list of confirmed act has been announced. Some of the acts which grabbed my attention

The Chemical Brothers
Faithless
The Good, the bad and the queen
The Hives
Madness
Nine Inch Nails
Gogol Bordello
Sinead O'Connor:confused:
Skatilites

for full list see http://www.sziget.hu/festival_english/programs/85741.html

Tool
The Rakes
Napalm Death
and Laurent Garnier all added to the Sziget bill.

My plans to travel to sziget dealt a bit of a blow this week. I'm doing a F.A.S. teleservices course at present in which we get work placement after. There rep from the company was in saying the company we are going to have signed a new contract and their is a very good chance of full-time employment after. This means I would be starting in early June and I hardly be able to get 1-2 weeks off August when only starting in June. :(

Only saving grace is that the Electric Picnic line-up is looking damn impressive may have to settle for it.

MojoPin
12/04/2007, 10:57 PM
Lollapalooza going there this year in chicago....... line up is unreal pearl jam headin it...

citizenerased
16/04/2007, 2:15 PM
pearl jam r poor

MojoPin
16/04/2007, 2:52 PM
pearl jam r poor

well im paying $195 for my ticket they must be **** with there money if there still poor after 50 or so thousand of us paying that to see them

citizenerased
16/04/2007, 3:07 PM
well im paying $195 for my ticket they must be **** with there money if there still poor after 50 or so thousand of us paying that to see them

:D Lol

DannyInvincible
29/03/2013, 1:59 PM
Booked flights for Sónar (http://www.sonar.es/en/2013/) yesterday and cannae wait. Will be in Barcelona from the Wednesday afternoon until the Monday. Have always wanted to see Paul Kalkbrenner live. Some other acts I'm particularly looking forward to are Kraftwerk, Maceo Plex, Seth Troxler, Jurassic 5, Todd Terje and Lindstrøm. This is just fantastic:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W97biXq-Jbc

There's quite a few of us heading, but we still have to sort out accommodation. I don't think it should be too difficult finding a place to stay though, should it? Anyone been before or going this year?