Galway 66-1
Bray 66-1
Longford 80-1
Waterford 80-1
From paddypower.com

No odds for first division yet.

ForzaWexford
22/02/2007, 9:30 AM
The first division odds were up a few days ago but I suppose they'll have to rejig them now shels are demoted.....

The few I can remember are:

Wexford 40-1
Kilkenny 40-1
Monaghan 22-1
Cobh Ramblers 12-1

Dundalk favs and Waterford were second favs.

centre mid
22/02/2007, 9:38 AM
Odds from ladbrokes.ie
Derry City 2/1
Drogheda Utd 9/4
Cork City 10/3
Bohemians 9/2
St Patricks Athlethic 12/1
Shamrock Rovers 18/1
Sligo Rovers 25/1
Galway Utd 40/1
Bray Wanderers 66/1
UCD 80/1
Longford Town 80/1
Waterford Utd 80/1

Dodge
22/02/2007, 10:24 AM
Boyles Sports

Derry City 9/4
Drogheda Utd 5/2
Cork 4/1
Bohemians 5/1
St Patrick's Athletic 14/1
Shamrock Rovers 25/1
Sligo Rovers 40/1
UCD 66/1
Galway 80/1
Longford Town 80/1
Bray Wanderers 150/1

BrayUnknowns
22/02/2007, 10:55 AM
Shamrock Rovers as low as 18/1 and up to 33/1....... some real gogs*ites out there

Risteard
22/02/2007, 11:28 AM
Boyles Sports

Derry City 9/4
Drogheda Utd 5/2
Cork 4/1

They're very generous odds.
I reckon great value for City given that there's a striker pending.
Also if you put any amount on each of those three teams equally, you get a safe return.
I'd be confident enough that Bohs/Pats won't win the league.

Dodge
22/02/2007, 11:47 AM
TBH Risteard I'd have pats ahead of Cork (and I'm usually quite pessimistic regarding our chances)

Our Defence and Midfield matches up with anyone in the league and O'Neill is a great striker. Unfortunately we've very little else up front and if he's injured we're screwed. Our manager is rubbish too but compared to Cork's defensive problems (Murphy and Bennet gone, maybe Hoggy too), still no replacements signed for GOC, Fenn or Doyle (not to mention O'Flynn's perennial injury problems) and your star new players having serious injury concerns too, I'd be confident we'd at least match Cork. If we sign Paisley 9as strongly rumoured) and another quality striker I'd be more than happy with out squad

In terms of betting I think the markets have it right with little to choose between Derry and Drogheda. Can't see why Bohs are so short either.

Risteard
22/02/2007, 12:02 PM
Well i happen to think my team is better than yours.:p

Our manager is rubbish too but compared to Cork's defensive problems (Murphy and Bennet gone, maybe Hoggy too), still no replacements signed for GOC, Fenn or Doyle (not to mention O'Flynn's perennial injury problems) and your star new players having serious injury concerns too.

Won the league without replacing Doyle.
Were in the race with a game or two last season without Georgie also.
Roy up front instead of Fenn which means a more direct strategy anyway.

A few weeks work on our defence and we should know where we stand.

What starting line-up are ye looking at?

Dodge
22/02/2007, 12:19 PM
-----------------------Ryan-------------------
Brennan - Foley - Maguire - Frost
Kirby - Fahey -Mulcahey - M. Foley
-----------------------Ndo-------------------
------------O'Neill---------------------------

If we sign Paisley he might be in the defence somewhere. I'd prefer Brenann at centre half. Kirby, Fahey and Mick Foley all interchangable, with Sean O'Connor and Ryan Guy out and out wingers when we need to add pace

JW.
22/02/2007, 2:18 PM
In light of Cork's recent signings it's probably safe to say they're comfortably ahead of Pat's, Dodge, particularly as you have only one striker who was third-choice at Shels last season (albeit a decent player; how he'll fare as the leading striker in a team remains to be seen).

NavanBohs
22/02/2007, 2:23 PM
Can't see why Bohs are so short either.

Well we've got rid of Digger...

pete
22/02/2007, 3:00 PM
In light of Cork's recent signings it's probably safe to say they're comfortably ahead of Pat's, Dodge, particularly as you have only one striker who was third-choice at Shels last season (albeit a decent player; how he'll fare as the leading striker in a team remains to be seen).

When you match up Rico v McDonnell theres a clear winner.

Dodge
22/02/2007, 3:04 PM
Undoubtably Pete. Disagree there's a clear advantage in the squads.

Either way neither side are good enough to challenge Derry or Drosg (unless both managers fail)

pete
22/02/2007, 3:07 PM
Either way neither side are good enough to challenge Derry or Drosg (unless both managers fail)

IMO the Derry City squad has gone backwards & has certainly not improved but given they been so close in last 2 seasons have to be favourites. We will be able to compare Fenlon & Kenny though.

Given the squad they have (more or bought the Shels midfield) its amazing Drogs at 5/2. I think this is to do with Doolin who I don't think can cut it.

wws
22/02/2007, 3:09 PM
i'd be surprised, nay amazed if our starting line up looks like Dodge's post there. We have a lot of younger strikers - but you know the deal with them - they'll either be the best thing ever, breath of fresh air and all that or playing for Monaghan before you can say....whatever happened that young lad pats had?

Rooney or Quigley will start up front for Saint Pats v Porty on Down

Dodge
22/02/2007, 3:11 PM
MMmmmm side wager of €10? I'll give you both of them...

JW.
22/02/2007, 3:13 PM
Why shouldn't Cork challenge? Shels are gone, Derry are probably a bit worse and Cork are probably only a bit worse as well.
I've backed Pat's at 33 but was hoping you'd have signed a striker whose name isn't Vinny Arkins by now!

wws
22/02/2007, 3:16 PM
bet you never thought our leadind striker's age would be bigger than the price you backed us at!

dodge...matched.

JW.
22/02/2007, 3:22 PM
bet you never thought our leadind striker's age would be bigger than the price you backed us at!
Too right :D

Dodge
22/02/2007, 3:33 PM
Why shouldn't Cork challenge? Shels are gone, Derry are probably a bit worse and Cork are probably only a bit worse as well.
I've backed Pat's at 33 but was hoping you'd have signed a striker whose name isn't Vinny Arkins by now!

Cork are more than a "bit worse". They've lost 3/4 of their back four from last season, as well as their main link up player up front. Farrelly was an avaerage player in a shocking Bohs side last year and Healy hasn't played for anybody in two years. Their left back will be eiother Billy fooking Woods or the UCD sub left back from last year.

IMO Cork have plenty of problems where as we have only 2. Lack of strikers and a **** manager. There's little between us IMO.

I've backed us to win the Setanta group at 4/1. Again I'd be hoping we signa striker before the deadline

OneRedArmy
22/02/2007, 4:19 PM
IMO the Derry City squad has gone backwards & has certainly not improved We have lost one starting player (Forde) who was considered to be a liability by many on here and have signed an U21 international in Bermingham and proven players in Rodgers and O'Halloran.

It may not be a Drogs or Bohs-esque buying spree but we certaintly aren't any weaker.

As point out, Cork's squad on paper has been weakened the most of all the top teams.

dcfcsteve
22/02/2007, 4:22 PM
I wouldn't put money on us to win the league personally until a few games in.

We've had a weak pre-season, scored 2 goals in 4 games, let in 5 goals, and are playing with a second-string keeper.

It all comes down to how quickly it takes us to get back into the winning spirit. A first game at home versus Bray should hopefully help.

JW.
22/02/2007, 4:23 PM
I've backed us to win the Setanta group at 4/1. Again I'd be hoping we signa striker before the deadline
So have I (and Cork at 9-4).
Cork haven't lost Neal Horgan yet, and Billy Woods is a decent left-back. Full back is the least important position on the pitch. Bennett is the big loss alright.
They've potentially the best player in the league in Roy O'Donovan (who is like a new signing in a away as he only started playing up front at the end of last season), the best player in the league in Joe Gamble, and serious competition for places in midfield now. I can't agree that they'll be much worse.

wws
22/02/2007, 4:44 PM
So have I (and Cork at 9-4).
Cork haven't lost Neal Horgan yet, and Billy Woods is a decent left-back. Full back is the least important position on the pitch. Bennett is the big loss alright.
They've potentially the best player in the league in Roy O'Donovan (who is like a new signing in a away as he only started playing up front at the end of last season), the best player in the league in Joe Gamble, and serious competition for places in midfield now. I can't agree that they'll be much worse.

time will tell i suppose

the new season cant come quick enough

pete
22/02/2007, 5:01 PM
Team from last season

Devine
Horgan Bennet Murray Murphy
Lordan O'Brien Gamble Woods
Fenn O'Donovan

This season

Devine
Horgan O'Callaghan Murray Woods
Healy Farrelly Gamble Kearney
O'Flynn/Behan O'Donovan

O'Callaghan barely played last season. Murphy missed a lot of games due to suspension. Gamble missed 10 games due to suspension so could not top that. Bennet will be missed. Fenn was motivated last year as last year of contract. We finished 19 points ahead of Pats will thin as feck squad.

Derry City have lost some defenders & replaced with Rodgers (useless) & O'Halloran (City & then Shels reserve). O'Flynn was proven backup forward & Bermingham unknown. How will the team respond to Fenlon?

If Drogs had Rico, Fenlon or Kenny would win the league in a canter. Still amazed they did not go for Fenlon whose proven winner with the best squad.

4-1 on Pats for Setanta Cup group is great value as we start very slowly.

bluemovie
22/02/2007, 5:08 PM
What are the odds on the use of an asterisk not being necessary at the bottom of the league table this year? Or in any one of the next ten years? When was the last time there WASN'T a points deduction in either division? Even apart from the Shels situation, it's a banker that there'll be a few deductions for unregistered players or maybe even a club or two collapsing mid-season again.

It will be a sign that the league is finally on track the first year that there are no asterisks required.

(By the way, if anyone gets a POTM nomination for references to Asterix the Gaul/Obelix, etc, I'm claiming the assist!!)

Ceirtlis
22/02/2007, 5:53 PM
I had my bet on Cork City to win their setanta cup group voided after St.Pats replaced Shels with bet365. Did this happen to anyone else. Im a bit ****ed off about it to be honest.

Schumi
22/02/2007, 6:21 PM
When was the last time there WASN'T a points deduction in either division?The 2000/2001 season I think although Longford got their points back in 02/03.

lofty9
22/02/2007, 7:23 PM
O'Flynn was proven backup forward

A proven back up forward? In Derry that means he was ****ing useless!!! :D

Sonic
22/02/2007, 7:49 PM
If we sign Paisley he might be in the defence somewhere.

u wont forget it!!

finnpark
22/02/2007, 7:51 PM
For the best odds check www.oddschecker.com .

Drogs best price is 5/1 with expertbet

My odds would be:

Drogs 13/8
Derry 11/4
Cork 3/1
Bohs 5/1
33/1 Bar

JW.
22/02/2007, 7:57 PM
I had my bet on Cork City to win their setanta cup group voided after St.Pats replaced Shels with bet365. Did this happen to anyone else. Im a bit ****ed off about it to be honest.

Very unlucky. I haven't been voided by Hills anyway. As far as I'm concerned the bet should stand.

Dodge
22/02/2007, 7:58 PM
For the best odds check www.oddschecker.com

For smaller books (like the LOI one) odds comparison sites aren't always up todate. best to check with the bookies themselves

pineapple stu
22/02/2007, 8:00 PM
I thought that would happen, but my bet with Paddy Power seems to still stand.

JW.
22/02/2007, 10:06 PM
For smaller books (like the LOI one) odds comparison sites aren't always up todate. best to check with the bookies themselves

I think the best one is www.odds-comparison.co.uk. This is 100pc up-to-date in general. The only thing is it doesn't include Boylesports or Cashman's.

Dodge
22/02/2007, 10:14 PM
I think the best one is www.odds-comparison.co.uk. This is 100pc up-to-date in general. The only thing is it doesn't include Boylesports or Cashman's.

Thats the one I'd use but like I said for Irish markets its not 100%

bohs til i die
22/02/2007, 10:16 PM

I fail to see how Derry are worse. They are set to sign Dean Delaney who is an ok keeper, Jennings is a good keeper. The rest of the players they offloaded were squad players and they have added Rogers and O'Halleron.

Derry have Molloy, McCourt, Martyn, Brennan, Deery, Higgins, McGlynn in midfield, which is the strongest in the league IMO.

They have added to the defence with two players who won the title last season and have several league medals.

IMO its Derry's title to lose.

RockofGibraltar
23/02/2007, 12:57 AM
Odds from ladbrokes.ie
Derry City 2/1
Drogheda Utd 9/4
Cork City 10/3
Bohemians 9/2
St Patricks Athlethic 12/1
Shamrock Rovers 18/1
Sligo Rovers 25/1
Galway Utd 40/1
Bray Wanderers 66/1
UCD 80/1
Longford Town 80/1
Waterford Utd 80/1

so does that mean if shels werent demoted an waterford promoted...then we'd be the biggest outsiders in the league? ie.favourites for relegation? :mad: :eek: :rolleyes:

JW.
23/02/2007, 9:46 AM
I think Derry overachieved under Kenny and believe that he is a better manager than Fenlon, who had easily the best squad year-after-year at Shels.

Macy
23/02/2007, 9:55 AM
then we'd be the biggest outsiders in the league? ie.favourites for relegation? :mad: :eek: :rolleyes:
Eh, yeah. I'd still have us as likely to be down there, even if Paiso stays.

Peadar
23/02/2007, 10:27 AM
Given that we were the last team to win the league honestly and still have so many players who know what it takes to win a title, I think 4/1 is a great price. The FAI have pitted City v Bohs in the last game of the season because they clearly think we're the two best teams and will do everything in their power to ensure that it's a title decider.

Celdrog
23/02/2007, 11:21 AM
Very unlucky. I haven't been voided by Hills anyway. As far as I'm concerned the bet should stand.
I checked with Paddy Power and Corals (where I have Drogs at 5/1) to see what they would do if Shels did not start the premier. Powers said all bets would stand regardless.
Corals said all best void, form a new market. I'm not sure they can do it. Rule 4 should apply which potential winnings reduced. But Shels have been replaced by another team, its not an 11 horse race now, its still twelve.

Bet still standing but they are still taking odds on Shels for the premier :rolleyes:

JW.
23/02/2007, 11:23 AM
I checked with Paddy Power and Corals (where I have Drogs at 5/1) to see what they would do if Shels did not start the premier. Powers said all bets would stand regardless.
Corals said all best void, form a new market. I'm not sure they can do it. Rule 4 should apply which potential winnings reduced. But Shels have been replaced by another team, its not an 11 horse race now, its still twelve.

Bet still standing but they are still taking odds on Shels for the premier :rolleyes:
This would suit Corals enormously, as they built up large liabilities on Pat's, Bohemians and Drogheda. I'll be very annoyed if this is the case. They certainly haven't refunded me yet.

lofty9
23/02/2007, 11:31 AM
I think Derry overachieved under Kenny and believe that he is a better manager than Fenlon, who had easily the best squad year-after-year at Shels.

I'd say we under achieved by failing to win the league on two seperate occaisions. Time and time again when Shels played Derry we were the better team.. the best squad doesn't make the best team.

Overachieving is something Felix Healy managed to do with us in 1997, with the team we had then.

wws
23/02/2007, 11:46 AM

If that happens than John Delaney, Bertie Ahern and Macalese should all resign forthwith. There will be blood on the streets if this UK bookie tries to re-enact Bloody Sunday by voiding all Irish EL bets layed in confidence.

JW.
23/02/2007, 11:56 AM
I agree with wws - it's a faaah-aws

Dodge
23/02/2007, 12:12 PM
There shouldn't even be a rule 4 deduction as its an ante post market IMO

(and I'm not talking through my book here either as I haven't backed anything)

wws
23/02/2007, 12:13 PM
just back to the point about odds comparison sites raised above in this thread - the bookies pay a fee for inclusion so some may not be on the price site you are checking - and may belong to another - I've been checking prices for a tipping league we have on our Pats site and theres some differences between straightforward match odds 'best price' from one site to another...ideally you'd want a quick gander at two or three if you were serious. And thats even before you accept that non mainstream Irish bookies are not gonna stump up the fee to join the UK based odds comparison sites....

JW.
23/02/2007, 2:35 PM
There shouldn't even be a rule 4 deduction as its an ante post market IMO

(and I'm not talking through my book here either as I haven't backed anything)

Basically the question to ask is: If you backed Shels to win the Premier Division, would you think you'd be entitled to your money back? I'm not sure I would.

wws
23/02/2007, 2:39 PM
ADVICE I GOT IS THAT IT STANDS

you'd win an appeal if they did pull fast one

The only rule CORALS have for antepost football is:

League Winners
For the settlement of Ante-post bets, final League placings count.

Also their rules for non-runners are as follows:

) Non runners

sports betting rules

In the event that a selection for an event does not participate, or if an event is cancelled, then bets on these will be considered non runners.

Excepting bets placed under ante-post conditions, a single bet on a non runner will be made void and the whole stake refunded. Where a non runner is part of a multiple bet the whole bet will not be made void, but only the parts of the bet relating to that selection. For example, a treble involving a non runner becomes a double - to the same stake - on the remaining two selections.