PDA

View Full Version : New Logo for league

Philly
21/02/2007, 8:39 PM
Hey came accross this logo on the official Kildare County site.

Is it the new league logo?

Any opinions?

Also, the FAI keep refering to the top league as the FAI League of Ireland Premier League - did they forget they called it "Premiership"?

Schumi
21/02/2007, 8:53 PM
Also, the FAI keep refering to the top league as the FAI League of Ireland Premier League - did they forget they called it "Premiership"? I think they changed their minds because it was a rubbish name.

Philly
21/02/2007, 9:00 PM
Pity they don't change their minds on other God-awful decisions, like appointing a ginger as our national manager.

:)

neutrino
21/02/2007, 10:09 PM
using the OLD league of ireland title doesnt exactly make the league sound new and exciting. the paper and ink might be new but it's the same ol story with FAI. what's point creating a new league to just re-attach an old name.

Paddyfield
21/02/2007, 10:14 PM
using the OLD league of ireland title doesnt exactly make the league sound new and exciting. the paper and ink might be new but it's the same ol story with FAI. what's point creating a new league to just re-attach an old name.

I always called it the League Of Ireland. I suspect that most folks over the ago of 30 did likewise.

Whatever happened to the proposal to change the name to the National Soccer League (NSL)?

DmanDmythDledge
21/02/2007, 10:48 PM
The new logo looks class.

pineapple stu
21/02/2007, 10:51 PM
Also, the FAI keep refering to the top league as the FAI League of Ireland Premier League - did they forget they called it "Premiership"?
There was a thread on here a while back looking for comments and alternative names. The suggestions were given to the FAI, who for once actually listened. Probably because it was no skin off their nose what the name of the league was.

don ramo
22/02/2007, 7:55 AM
just call it the eircom league thats what it should be reffered to as, as eircom sponsor it, were not in england so no need for the fireworks and partyin of the Premiership, bang and game is over:D

khoop
22/02/2007, 8:03 AM
Is it the new league logo?

Any opinions?

Rubbish. Way too busy to be seriously termed a logo. Pity the new super-duper budget doesn't stretch as far as hiring trained graphic designers. Looks like something the FAI secretary came up with on her lunch break.

DvB
22/02/2007, 8:06 AM
I always called it the League Of Ireland. I suspect that most folks over the ago of 30 did likewise.

Spot on, i always have & probably always will refer to it as the LOI!

Pretty much all my mates refer to it as the LOI as well, and though most would be, not all, are over 30:)

Koh

Lim till i die
22/02/2007, 8:23 AM

Have always called it the League of Ireland aswell and I'm not quite as over the hill as some of ye :p

Whatever happened to the proposal to change the name to the National Soccer League (NSL)

Dear God NO :eek:

That's a wind up right

Ash
22/02/2007, 8:27 AM

Whatever happened to the proposal to change the name to the National Soccer League (NSL)?

I still call it the Pat Grace Kentucky Fried Chicken League :p
or fialing that League Of Ireland ... and I'm only 29 ...
(I be twenty ten next month though ;) )

Lim till i die
22/02/2007, 8:32 AM

Yet another in the long list of things the league must be grateful to Limerick for :eek: :D

Bluebeard
22/02/2007, 8:48 AM
League of Ireland all the way with me.

Still think that, in light of the new management structures, we could call it the I-League.

That said, it were to be called the English Championship Feeder League, we'd probably get a whole wave of new fans keen to see the next person who might make ten appearances for Preston in three years.

Peadar
22/02/2007, 8:49 AM
I like that logo...
It would be great if the patches are available to buy on the replica shirts.

Pauro 76
22/02/2007, 9:43 AM
Logo aint bad. the grey spoils it though. Good to have a proper logo though.

Pauro 76
22/02/2007, 9:46 AM
or fialing that League Of Ireland ... and I'm only 29 ...
(I be twenty ten next month though ;) )

Before my time of following the League of Ireland. Who was Pat Grace?
:confused:

endabob1
22/02/2007, 9:47 AM
It looks Cheap and Nasty, sums up the FAI perfectly then :)

Peadar
22/02/2007, 10:24 AM
Logo aint bad. the grey spoils it though. Good to have a proper logo though.

I like the grey. Grey is the "in" colour for this season... ;)

Fast food chain. I think it was Southern Fried Chicken as opposed to KFC. It was before the Bord Gais days, as far as I remember. Funny how sponsorship didn't mean much to me in those days.

It looks Cheap and Nasty, sums up the FAI perfectly then :)

You don't think that at all, you simply wanted to get a dig in at the FAI. There' nothing cheap about it. Better than what has gone before, that's for sure.

Jamjar
22/02/2007, 10:27 AM

Have to agree, could never get used to Eircom league. In fact I only stopped calling it the Pat Grace Famous Fried Chicken League of Irleand last year.

oriel
22/02/2007, 10:43 AM
We had the 'Bass League of Ireland' in 1975/76, maybe the lge's first ever sponsor ?? i only remember this name as there is a photo in oriel, jim mclaughlin with 'the bass lge trophy'

cant recall ever hearing a sponsored name before this - anyone ?

ps the KFC lge in 81/82 was the infamous 4 pts for an away win, 3 for home win, 2 for home draw and 1 for an away draw.

Highest ever points total for that years winners.

Dodge
22/02/2007, 10:49 AM
Logo's alright. Looks like designed so any new sponsor logo can be added at the top

Pauro 76
22/02/2007, 10:57 AM
Fast food chain. I think it was Southern Fried Chicken as opposed to KFC. It was before the Bord Gais days, as far as I remember. Funny how sponsorship didn't mean much to me in those days.

Remember the Opel League of Ireland, Bord Gais is as far back as i can remember. Still think the Pat Grace Southern Fried Chicken League of Ireland is hilarious thogh!

Raheny Red
22/02/2007, 11:19 AM
I like that logo...
It would be great if the patches are available to buy on the replica shirts.

I hope you are joking :o

Peadar
22/02/2007, 11:19 AM
Still think the Pat Grace Southern Fried Chicken League of Ireland is hilarious thogh!

Pat Grace's Famous Fried Chicken League of Ireland.

Most of us just called it The League of Ireland though.
This eircom League thing changed that but many still refer to it as the LoI.

Kingdom
22/02/2007, 12:26 PM
Would it not have made sense to have the Grey bit white? Would have made the tricolour then!

endabob1
22/02/2007, 12:32 PM
You don't think that at all, you simply wanted to get a dig in at the FAI. There' nothing cheap about it. Better than what has gone before, that's for sure.

Maybe ;)

Actually you're probably right, knowing the FAI and money it's more likely to have been bloody expensive and nasty :D

monkey magic
22/02/2007, 12:33 PM
Would it not have made sense to have the Grey bit white? Would have made the tricolour then!

maybe the grey is a representation of the leagues rule book..

i like it, its certainly better than the old one...

RĂ©iteoir
22/02/2007, 12:44 PM
I like it.

Echo the point concerning the ordinary fan getting the patches for shirts
- the only way we got them before is by getting a hold of a player's jersey (which I have done from last season)

oriel
22/02/2007, 12:58 PM
We had the 'Bass League of Ireland' in 1975/76, maybe the lge's first ever sponsor ?? i only remember this name as there is a photo in oriel, jim mclaughlin with 'the bass lge trophy'

cant recall ever hearing a sponsored name before this - anyone ?

ps the KFC lge in 81/82 was the infamous 4 pts for an away win, 3 for home win, 2 for home draw and 1 for an away draw.

Highest ever points total for that years winners.

I got that slightly wrong, it was actually 1 point for a home draw and 2 for an away draw, well it was 26 years ago !

Seagull
22/02/2007, 4:30 PM
The orange/ grey colours are the new eircom corporate colours. Think it looks ok. I always call it the League of Ireland too.

Paddyfield
22/02/2007, 7:34 PM

Pat Grace was chairman of Limerick City back in the days that they were always challenging for a European spot and they were getting cowds of 4,000 on a regular basis (in the pre-Munster Rugby hype days).

He brought KFC to Ireland in the 70's/80's and then bailed out and opened his own self branded chain of fast food outlets all over Ireland* called Pat Grace's Famous Fried Chicken. His company sponsored Limerick City and the whole League. I often wondered why it was called "Famous" fried chicken? I'd never heard of it and it never made the front pago of the Sun.

I have to be careful as to how describe him. Let's just say he reminds me of Ollie Byrne!!! And that's not for being tall, dark and handsome either.

*there was a branch in Galway so that gave it 'nationwide' status.

FOOTNOTE: In the mid 1980's, the FAI Cup was sponsored by Bulmers. What doed that tell us about the advancement of modern society when the Cup was sponsored by a cider company and the league was sponsored by a fried chicken company.?

Peadar
22/02/2007, 8:56 PM
His company sponsored Limerick City and the whole League. I often wondered why it was called "Famous" fried chicken?

Lucky we didn't have league patches (http://img.zazzle.com/dzn/D8/AC/B1/D8ACB19A-E56F-4F70-B541-17FBACBAAD56/front_real_sz500_qt80.jpg) on the shirts in those days. :D

pete
22/02/2007, 8:59 PM
Chicken League mascot (http://www.everydaypeoplecartoons.com/cartoons/cartoons-index-and-archives/270---Aug-27---Sept-2,2006,.png)

Ash
23/02/2007, 7:36 AM
How did ye get Robbie Forde to pose for that picture :eek:

Pauro 76
23/02/2007, 9:54 AM
Pat Grace was chairman of Limerick City back in the days that they were always challenging for a European spot and they were getting cowds of 4,000 on a regular basis (in the pre-Munster Rugby hype days).

He brought KFC to Ireland in the 70's/80's and then bailed out and opened his own self branded chain of fast food outlets all over Ireland* called Pat Grace's Famous Fried Chicken. His company sponsored Limerick City and the whole League. I often wondered why it was called "Famous" fried chicken? I'd never heard of it and it never made the front pago of the Sun.

I have to be careful as to how describe him. Let's just say he reminds me of Ollie Byrne!!! And that's not for being tall, dark and handsome either.

FOOTNOTE: In the mid 1980's, the FAI Cup was sponsored by Bulmers. What doed that tell us about the advancement of modern society when the Cup was sponsored by a cider company and the league was sponsored by a fried chicken company.?

Quality! thanks for that one! FRIIIIIIEEEEEEDDDDD CHICKEN! :)

P.S. Did a google on Pat Grace, this is what ended up.

http://www.emigrant.ie/article.asp?iCategoryID=200&iArticleID=54348

- Pat Grace, of Pat Grace's Famous Fried Chicken, has been declared bankrupt. He told the High Court that the eighteen restaurants in the chain are owned by a company in which his wife is the principal shareholder.

So famous, Ive never heard of it either!

WeAreRovers
23/02/2007, 10:40 AM

There was one in Phibsboro SC if memory serves, where Burdocks is now.

KOH

Dodge
23/02/2007, 10:52 AM
There was one in Phibsboro SC if memory serves, where Burdocks is now.

Yeah. Changed to Texas Fried Chicken for a little bit too. Used to be one in Drumcondra. There's still one in Crumlin SC.

I had to do a project in college on Pat Grace's Famous Fried Chicken.

Kingdom
23/02/2007, 10:55 AM
I had to do a project in college on Pat Grace's Famous Fried Chicken.

Bet it was finger lickin good too.

BohsPartisan
23/02/2007, 11:06 AM
Yeah. Changed to Texas Fried Chicken for a little bit too. Used to be one in Drumcondra.

The one in Drumcondra was there until fairly recently wasn't it?

Raheny Red
23/02/2007, 12:25 PM

There is a Perky Chicken (:confused: ) there now I think, I was wondering what all those blue tablets were :D

Bluebeard
23/02/2007, 12:47 PM
The one in Drumcondra was where Abrakebabra is now. I think that it was still going up to about 1993.

There was one in Waterford on O'Connell St.

One of the ads for Pat Grace's in the late 1980s was of a goalkeeper eating a snackbox leaning against a post as a ball flew into the goal behind him.

pineapple stu
23/02/2007, 5:05 PM
TFC was there until 2001 anyway.

CollegeTillIDie
25/02/2007, 8:52 AM
Pat Grace's Famous Fried Chicken even reached Dublin they had a branch in Merrion Row until the early 1990's.