PDA

View Full Version : Crisis Clubs Flying Under the Radar?

WeAreRovers
21/02/2007, 5:18 PM
Is it just me or have the Shels shenanigans disguised serious problems at other clubs? Specifically Longford and Sligo. I'm hearing all sorts of rumours about both clubs but very little general talk on here.

Discuss....

KOH

DmanDmythDledge
21/02/2007, 5:29 PM
Seems to be true alright. Longford weren't able to pay their players for a while. Haven't heard anything about Sligo though...

Philly
21/02/2007, 5:30 PM
Cue somebody claiming Kildare County are going to pack it in any day now :)

don ramo
21/02/2007, 5:34 PM
well a lot of clubs are flyin under the radar, due to fact if everything was revealed tommorow the leauge would cease to exist, the sad thing about the eircom leauge is attendances can help culbs a lot, but only a fraction of football fans will watch there local team live, but it doent really matter as every leauge on the continent our nearly every one is bust there is no money left and clubs are stacking up debt year on year, just to look as close as the premiership man utsd E500million in debt chelsea lost E80 million last year, aresenal are around E300 million in debt, celtic in scotland are in debt even thought they have sell out crowds week in and week out, they spend beyond there means, but that doent have to happen here if you get attendances at games the club should do the wise thing and linit the wages, thats where all the others leagues have gone wrong and if the players arent happy there more than entitled to leave.

Now that the FAI have established our are establising an education program for profession and probably part time players there better off staying here play for ten years and when your finnished playin you have a colledge degree to fall back on and your set for the rest of your life if you smart enough, you may go to enland our scotlad and earn a bit moree and you might might be lucky enough to play in the premiership but if you dont you would be better of stayin at home as you are not going to earn that much more in the championship our league one, some club think there player will leave so offer more wages to keep them but they wont get a whole lot more so they should stop being grredy, if they wanna take there chances in england off with them we want to build a league not destroy one,

Rory H
21/02/2007, 5:43 PM
Is it just me or have the Shels shenanigans disguised serious problems at other clubs? Specifically Longford and Sligo. I'm hearing all sorts of rumours about both clubs but very little general talk on here.

Discuss....

KOH

how do you know about that:confused:

pineapple stu
21/02/2007, 5:43 PM
Longford at least appear to be addressing their problems to an extent in fairness - they've released a fair few experienced players in pre-season.

Hadn't heard anything about Sligo though. Wouldn't be too surprised given they went for full-time immediately on promotion, which could well have been an overreach. Similar situation may hit Galway this year?

Pat's have been racking up losses of half a million a year for the last couple of years anyway. Don't know how that's going to turn out.

pete
21/02/2007, 5:45 PM
Longford at least appear to be addressing their problems to an extent in fairness - they've released a fair few experienced players in pre-season.

The difference between other clubs & Shels is obvious - Shels tried to spend their way out of trouble whereas others do try to cut back.

WeAreRovers
21/02/2007, 5:46 PM
how do you know about that:confused:

I don't, I'm just asking the question.

KOH

The Man Himself
21/02/2007, 5:47 PM
hopefully longford get the boot and bring up dundalk

Red&White Rover
21/02/2007, 5:47 PM
well, we dont know the full story down here, but IMO i cant see where we have the money for a Full-time side with attendances of only 1000 per game....it dosent add up...

1 9 2 8
21/02/2007, 6:18 PM

Discuss....

KOH

Stop talking through your ar$e we are shams. We have made a profit the last four or five seasons not too many LOI clubs have done the same. Financially we have never been as well off in a long time.

Paddyfield
21/02/2007, 6:20 PM
well, we dont know the full story down here, but IMO i cant see where we have the money for a Full-time side with attendances of only 1000 per game....it dosent add up...

I read in the Sligo Champion that the Club cleared a profit last year. They published a full financial report. They seem to be quite accountable to their fans.

Then again, so were Shels

Soper
21/02/2007, 6:22 PM
Our only problem is with playing staff. A shame we can't attract as many players as we need, but at lease we're not Galway :)

1 9 2 8
21/02/2007, 6:32 PM

Not sure of the exact figure but attendances is only something like 30% of our income

WeAreRovers
21/02/2007, 6:32 PM
Stop talking through your ar$e we are shams. We have made a profit the last four or five seasons not too many LOI clubs have done the same. Financially we have never been as well off in a long time.

I never said financial problems. I'm delighted everything is so rosy in the west. :rolleyes:

KOH

Schumi
21/02/2007, 6:40 PM
I never said financial problems. I'm delighted everything is so rosy in the west. :rolleyes: Was wondering if you meant team-wise as had heard nothing about money trouble. They've lost players but I doubt they'll be in serious trouble, it looks like there's a few weak teams this year. I'd say at least 3 of Longford, Waterford, Galway & Bray will be behind Sligo this year.

Not sure of the exact figure but attendances is only something like 30% of our incomeThat's about standard for most clubs AFAIK.

4tothefloor
21/02/2007, 6:46 PM
man utsd E500million in debt chelsea lost E80 million last year, aresenal are around E300 million in debt, celtic in scotland are in debt even thought they have sell out crowds week in and week out, they spend beyond there means
Well Man U is a unique case as they were bought out by a yank who saddled them with debt. Arsenal built a new stadium, which explains theirs. Celtic posted their biggest profit in years just recently, as did both Utd and Arsenal by the way. So not all bad.....

De Town
21/02/2007, 11:30 PM
I don't know the full story but from what I've heard:

We didn't pay a few wages in certain weeks last season but all those wages have now been paid. We've let go of probably our 6/7 top earners. This coming season is all about getting our books in order. The board seem to accept the fact that we may get relegated this season but we'll have our books in order by the end of it. Our starting 11 still isn't too bad but if we get many injuries/suspensions, we'll be in serious trouble.

Any Town fans who know more, feel free to add to this....

Gaillimh Al
21/02/2007, 11:41 PM
Similar situation may hit Galway this year?

Can't see it happening at Galway this year. While it is a huge step moving to a full-time set-up, something i didn't think I'd ever see, I think the clubs budget is within its means. Fundraising schemes are well organised (700 tickets sold for Black and White Ball at 150 euro a pop for example.) Season ticket and merchandising revenue is up. The only imponderable question is the teams performance. Hopefully it will be good enough to stay up but they can't say they aren't being given every chance in terms of preparation. Fingers crossed.

don ramo
22/02/2007, 7:41 AM
Well Man U is a unique case as they were bought out by a yank who saddled them with debt. Arsenal built a new stadium, which explains theirs. Celtic posted their biggest profit in years just recently, as did both Utd and Arsenal by the way. So not all bad.....

i know the situations but i mean these clubs are still alllowed operate even thoght there debts are huge.

sure leeds were sc***** at E100 million

neutrino
22/02/2007, 7:58 AM
I never said financial problems. I'm delighted everything is so rosy in the west. :rolleyes:

KOH

then what are you saying so ? ur asking questions without saying what you've heard. so what have you heard ?

if that was posted re: shams, there'd be a 101 of ye of here pleading victimisation.

so tell us what you've heard and the good sligo rovers people on this forum will tell you what's going on ; whether it true or not. then it can be dispelled or confirmed.

Macy
22/02/2007, 8:09 AM
Any Town fans who know more, feel free to add to this....
For the second season running we've dropped our budget big time. Seems to be a new sense of financial realism at the club, and just about in time too. Hopefully the Supporters Trust will take pressure off the club to as it seems that the short term dream of hosting the European games in Longford came at more of a long term cost than was anticipated. In my view that would be one of the saving factors - the majority of our debts relate to capital expenditure rather than current expenditure.

Playing wise, the budget cut has obviously had an impact - as was said by De Town, starting 11 is arguably a better mix than last season but the squad is wafer thin.

Jamjar
22/02/2007, 8:42 AM
then what are you saying so ? ur asking questions without saying what you've heard. so what have you heard ?

if that was posted re: shams, there'd be a 101 of ye of here pleading victimisation.

so tell us what you've heard and the good sligo rovers people on this forum will tell you what's going on ; whether it true or not. then it can be dispelled or confirmed.

A lot of Sligo fans seem to be asking questions....so don't be so paranoid
http://foot.ie/showthread.php?t=53463

monkey magic
22/02/2007, 9:50 AM
as said above, from what ive gathered the situation down ere is simple; budget has been slashed to cut costs and if it costs us our place in the top flight, then so be it... theres some long term debt, mainly capital, but not exclusively, and its being dealt with accordingly. the supporters trust wil be a big help and indeed has been already

NY Hoop
22/02/2007, 11:25 AM
Apparently longford are practically going amateur this season. At least they are showing financial restraint. Not that we will be allowed near it in july but how is the bar coming on in flancare?

Sligo's notoriously fickle support will have a bearing on their finances this season.

KOH

Rory H
22/02/2007, 11:57 AM
Sligo's notoriously fickle support will have a bearing on their finances this season.

every club deals with that..most teams have lower crowds when results dip

Red4Eva
22/02/2007, 3:28 PM

what are you on about???

pineapple stu
22/02/2007, 6:45 PM
Season ticket[...]revenue is up.
Is it? I remember reading the thread on the season ticket sales, and as of a couple of weeks ago, I don't think they had even reached half the target figure.

Terry
22/02/2007, 6:58 PM
the club were hoping that they would sell 1000 tickets this year. I would say the realistic final count will be around 700-750 (last season was just over 400). Golden season tickets at a cost of €1500 for the season have gone up well though, from 5 or 6 last season to I believe 27 now.

pineapple stu
22/02/2007, 7:00 PM
Is that what they were hoping for or what they needed though?

Edit - a general note for the thread, as one or two posts seem to be going that way. Can people please leave club allegiances aside and answer any questions without resort to "Do you have any proof about my club?" The thread is intended as a genuine one and we should be able to continue it without it descending into a slanging match.

Terry
22/02/2007, 7:05 PM
hoping for 1000. Remember the board have agreed to cover any debt the club has accumulated at the end of the year.

Redie
23/02/2007, 2:59 PM
Below is an extract from a report on this year's Sligo Rovers AGM held on the 30th of January 2007 from the club's official website and should give some reassurance to those getting uptight about the financial health of the club.

At the club's annual general meeting last Tuesday night at the Radisson Hotel Sligo Rovers management committee were happy to report a profit in the region of €48, 000 for the year ended November 2006.

At the beginning of the meeting attended by the members of the club, Chairman, Michael Toolan, opened by thanking the club’s sponsors for their contribution to the club and praised the hard work of the committee in recording a great year for Sligo Rovers on and off the pitch.

He also paid tribute to departing committee member, Fergal Keaveney, for what he has done for the club whilst was on the committee.

With the club returning to the Premiership in 2006 it was no surprise to hear turnover increased to close to €900,000. Departing treasurer Fergal Keaveney gave a brief presentation on financial performance a emphasizing the importance of the cup run in ensuring that Rovers had a good financial year.

The profit of over €48,000 was delivered at the same time as the club reduced overall debt to less than €110,000.

gufct
23/02/2007, 3:04 PM
We have over the 500 mark sold plus 27 gold which is more than UCD would get at a game. We hope to reach the 1000 mark by the 3rd home game which would mean over €200,000 revenue befor our gate recipts.How many season tickets do UCD expect to sell?:eek:

bigmac
23/02/2007, 3:10 PM
We have over the 500 mark sold plus 27 gold which is more than UCD would get at a game. We hope to reach the 1000 mark by the 3rd home game which would mean over €200,000 revenue befor our gate recipts.How many season tickets do UCD expect to sell?:eek:

Jeez, did you bother reading Stu's post at all? :rolleyes:

Could you explain to me how the attendances at other clubs are relevant to whether Galway will be able to generate sufficient income this season?

Edit - a general note for the thread, as one or two posts seem to be going that way. Can people please leave club allegiances aside and answer any questions without resort to "Do you have any proof about my club?" The thread is intended as a genuine one and we should be able to continue it without it descending into a slanging match.

CollegeTillIDie
24/02/2007, 7:17 AM
Well said boy! I hope the Blues have a good year off the field this season too!;)

Mental Man
24/02/2007, 8:36 AM
Oh i think we will, going from what i heard at the meeting the other night with Gareth Cronin i think were gonna do fine, he is at the moment going to sign 3 premier quality players he is having talks to at the moment, our finances have been totally stabilized and we had over 40 business competing for the shirt sponsor each putting in 4k into the draw, largest amount ever.

The new shirt sponsor this season is Perennial Freight logistics !! :D

Dodge
24/02/2007, 12:31 PM
Rovers made a profit of 49,000 last ear so off the field we are in decent shape on the field is a mess down to stupid descision making imo. Also Galway united are well run so cant see anything happen to them in the near future heard Longford town are big time in debt.

Galway have sold a fair few season tickets. If they start to perform poorly their crowds will dwindle (as they always have in the past) and they'll be left with no income coming through the gate. NO club can crow about being ina decent state. Every single club is only 1/2 decisions away from bankruptcy.

Dodge
24/02/2007, 1:24 PM
But even then, the majority are threading avery thin line. It could be grant decision or planning or anything like that.

No club is wealthy

SligoBrewer
24/02/2007, 4:01 PM
But even then, the majority are threading avery thin line. It could be grant decision or planning or anything like that.

No club is wealthy

Bohs?:confused:

Dodge
24/02/2007, 4:34 PM
Read the full post :D

SligoBrewer
24/02/2007, 5:26 PM
Read the full post

oh right!:D

hope to god it does happen!:D karma and all that..could.:D