PDA

View Full Version : Mons first!

Magicme
20/02/2007, 6:45 PM
Cant wait to welcome you to the eircom League on Friday the 9th. Hope some of your fans can make it up and we will give you a famous Monaghan welcome and sell ya some Mondogs!

passinginterest
20/02/2007, 8:55 PM
Living in Dublin I suppose I'm better placed to make it than many of the lads at home. Hopt be there anyway. I know there's a few other wexford folk posting here recently, anyone gonna make the trip? I don't think I've ever been to Monaghan by the way. Whats the drive from Dublin like on a Friday evening? Or do I want to know?

Comic Book Guy
20/02/2007, 10:42 PM
Well, it looks like the Ramblers will be your first guests, looking forward to the trip, Paddy's weekend and all, might stay down, can anyone give me directions to the ground??

monutdfc
20/02/2007, 11:12 PM
Whats the drive from Dublin like on a Friday evening? Or do I want to know?
Not that bad actually, you might get held up going through C'Blaney but that's all. Take the M1 to the Ardee/Derry exit then across to the N2.
The only traffic lights between Dublin and Monaghan are in Castleblaney (by-pass opening this year), that's the potential troublespot.
I'd say 1hr 45 from the M1/M50 junction on a Friday unless traffic is particularly bad

monutdfc
20/02/2007, 11:24 PM
Do you have a crest we can use for the programme etc?

Philly
20/02/2007, 11:46 PM
Do you have a website?

ForzaWexford
20/02/2007, 11:49 PM
I'll be there anyway. Can't wait for the season to start now......never thought I'd be actually looking forward to a trip to Monaghan but I suppose that's the beauty of the Eircom League!

There's no website/crest yet afaik.

Magicme
21/02/2007, 10:33 AM
Forza...when you come to Monaghan u will never want to leave! :D

Give yourself 2 hours to get to Monaghan and then you should be there in good time to enjoy a pint in the Bagster Lounge at KCP b4 the game!

Am looking forward to my trip to Wexford, its been too many years since been there!

Bluebeard
21/02/2007, 1:55 PM
Shame we won't be meeting you in your first game, but I'm sure you can understand why I'm not too disappointed.

Ye should sort some kind of car pooling thing to get up there for the first game and get as big turn out that way as is possible. Maybe try bullying Wallace into running a bus - it'd be great PR, and establish a proper rapport with fans before a nippy winger has been kicked in anger. Hopefully, someone will soon enough step forward to organise buses. I'd imagine that you'll have few enough big away trips this year, you'll only be discovering each other. However, I would recommend making a point of getting a good crowd to go to the Kilkenny games, as there is the residual rivalry. Plus, there is the fact that 50 of you should make it seem like you are the home crowd! Just beware of the state of the roads - I used to travel from New Ross back in the early 90s to games, and the road was cat (pun intended). It's a shame that it is a midweek game, but an hour and a half should see you right. Just remember, get to Kilkenny, take the Thurles(?) road and it's about 7km outside on your right hand side - you'll know it by the lights with absolutely no people around!

I'd also recommend a trip to Donegal for the Harps game on April 13th - it's a great overnighter / weekender, just after Easter and they are possibly the best fans in the division. However it is only marginally closer than Siberia, so it's a long trip! The away games with Shelbourne, especially for the last game of the season, are also worth the trip, as the road is pretty good all the way to the City Centre. Dundalk should be fairly manageable too.

As soon as a travelling away support starts happening, no matter how small, you'll discover you are becoming a supporters club, and that is a good thing, even if it is simply informal. It's one thing I'll miss about being away this year is the cameradery of being able to whine about a dodgy sending off in Drogeheda, or defending a clearly offside winner we nicked among a cognoscenti who happened to make the game.

Oh, and try to get yourselves a flag. Call yourselves the Boys From Wexford (1798 link, reasonably cool, ready made song) or something though, rather than Wexford Youth, as that name is just rubbish.

Good luck and welcome to the ranks of world's most devout, unforgiving fans, because in this league, you have to be.

ForzaWexford
21/02/2007, 4:39 PM
Forza...when you come to Monaghan u will never want to leave! :D

Oh I'll be leaving alright. I know a good few Monaghan people up here in college and let's just say they're, well.......they're kinda different. :cool:

Hopefully a bus or 2 will be organised alright, would be nice to have a few fans at the first game!

Magicme
21/02/2007, 5:20 PM
Oh I'll be leaving alright. I know a good few Monaghan people up here in college and let's just say they're, well.......they're kinda different. :cool:

Hopefully a bus or 2 will be organised alright, would be nice to have a few fans at the first game!

Monaghan people are deliciously different! Different is good!

I think you should get a load of people together and if you decide to do an over nighter I can help you sort out some accommodation!

Bluebeard
21/02/2007, 5:37 PM
Monaghan people are deliciously different! Different is good!

I think you should get a load of people together and if you decide to do an over nighter I can help you sort out some accommodation!
Is this part of your plan to outbreed the GAA?

If so, count me in!

passinginterest
21/02/2007, 5:44 PM
Breeding between people from Wexford, Waterford and Monaghan is strictly prohibited under EU law I believe... I hope.... dear God won't somebody think of the children...

ForzaWexford
21/02/2007, 8:01 PM
Breeding between people from Wexford, Waterford and Monaghan is strictly prohibited under EU law I believe... I hope.... dear God won't somebody think of the children...

He's right. My cousins are half waterford half wexford. They're only allowed visitors on the 3rd sunday of every month.

Magicme
22/02/2007, 9:34 AM
Ha ha....no bluebeard that wasn't the plan! But now that you mention it......

AVRoe
22/02/2007, 11:52 AM
Well, it looks like the Ramblers will be your first guests, looking forward to the trip, Paddy's weekend and all, might stay down, can anyone give me directions to the ground??

If you're coming down the N25, turn left at the roundabout after the village of Barntown (traffic calming, church on the right) onto the N11 and head across the Slaney and it's the next turn left at the top of the hill, just at the end of the slow lane, you'll see the five-a-side pitch covering netting ahead of you. Looking forward to welcoming you.

Magicme
22/02/2007, 12:30 PM
Whats the nearest town to the ground? And do you know of any cheap accommodation in the area? Mite take the kids down for a few days when we visit you.

AVRoe
22/02/2007, 3:11 PM
The roundabout I spoke of is the start of Wexford and the ground is two kilometres away (back out to the main road, right turn, left at the far side of the bridge and in you go).

There's a couple of B&Bs across the road from the ground and the Ferrycarrig Hotel 4 star) is a few hundred yards down the road on the way to the bridge. At the roundabout I mentioned earlier there's the 3 star Quality Hotel as well, at the next roundabout if you turn right is the Whitford Guest House. There's B&Bs all ove rthe place so no worries there. Ring Wexford Tourist Office at 053-9152900 or go here (http://www.wexfordtourism.com/accommodation_bnb_rosslare_wexford.htm) (see second one down for starters).

The Irish National Heritage Park is first right after crossing the bridge after leaving the ground, good for a family visit to see how we lived in the olden days.

Magicme
22/02/2007, 4:43 PM
Just booked the Danby Lodge Hotel for our first game down there as it looks nice and is very resonably priced. Will be there for a long weekend!

wexteam
22/02/2007, 4:52 PM
Never even heard of that place!

passinginterest
22/02/2007, 4:54 PM
Danby is very nice! My Mam was a manager there up to bout a year and a half ago. It's bout 15-20 mins from where the pitch is! Nice if your bringin the family as it's close to Rosslare as well as Wexford town. Village of Killinick has two decent pubs and I believe a nice restaurant opened there recently.

passinginterest
22/02/2007, 4:56 PM
Oh ya Kevin Doyle's parents own one of those pubs 'Ye Olde Coopers Inn', although the other one 'The Merry Elf' is probably the more popular with the locals.

ForzaWexford
22/02/2007, 5:00 PM
Was at a 21st in the Danby last weekend, it's nice alright!

AVRoe
23/02/2007, 2:50 PM
Coopers is a mere five minutes walk from the Danby across the road but watch the traffic!

passinginterest
23/02/2007, 2:54 PM
Or ya could nip up to my house for a cup of tea! Bout 5mins in the car. I'll tell me ma to expect visitors. She'd actually be more surprised to see me than a random stranger though, not home too often these days!

monutdfc
23/02/2007, 3:00 PM
Or ya could nip up to my house for a cup of tea! Bout 5mins in the car. I'll tell me ma to expect visitors. She'd actually be more surprised to see me than a random stranger though, not home too often these days!
Ah, that will all change now. She'll be expecting you every other weekend from March to November now!

Magicme
23/02/2007, 5:27 PM
Thanks passinginterest! Mite just drop my boys off to be babysat!! :-D

Sounds great. Am booked from the Friday til the Monday so that we can go do a few things, and will defo head into Doyles bar for a pint of water! My boys would love that.

dublin_owl
23/02/2007, 6:19 PM
"Will defo head into Doyles bar for a pint of water!"

The pint's in Coopers aren't THAT bad. ;)

Magicme
23/02/2007, 6:25 PM
Wont be drinkin if have kids with me and have to drive them around ur beautiful county tho! Anyway I dont drink pints.....not ladylike enough for me! ;)

dublin_owl
23/02/2007, 6:43 PM
Water it is then, or a mineral!

Oh and it is a beautiful county and flattery will get you everywhere. :)

Enjoy the trip!

Magicme
23/02/2007, 6:53 PM
Have written the book on flattery darling!

Had some great times in Wexford, Kilmore, Kilmore Quay, Rosslare, even Courtown!

Am looking forward to bringin the kids down there coz we have had no reason to go there for years, football is the only reason we go anywhere so we are restricted to the places where the eL is alive and kicking!

AVRoe
26/02/2007, 2:09 PM
Some of Kevin's jerseys and a couple of photos are on the walls of Cooper's Inn.

Magicme
04/03/2007, 8:09 PM
So how many of you are making the long journey north?? Its only 5 sleeps away!

Am soooooooo excited!

dublin_owl
05/03/2007, 9:12 AM
I'll be making the trip, provided I can get away from work a little early. Can you give me directions to the ground, i'll be coming from dublin!

Magicme
05/03/2007, 1:28 PM
Its quite easy to get to. Come into Monaghan Town, go straight through first small set of traffic lights (pedestrian crossing really) and you will come to a big junction with traffic lights. Again go straight through them following signs for Clones. Dunnes Stores will be on your right. You will then come to a roundabout and you take the first proper exit (first exit is into a carpark) and continue out this road for Clones. Swimming Pool on will be on your left. You stay on the road to the left at the Y junction and continue out this road passed a sign for eircom and then take the next road to the left. There is an NCT test centre and a Tyre place on your left when you turn in this road and then Kingspan Century Park is the next building. There is parking at the front of the building.

Look forward to seeing you there! Look out for a stressed woman probably doing the PA system and come say hello!

passinginterest
05/03/2007, 1:36 PM
Thanks for the directions Magicme. Will come in handy in the increasingly unlikely event that I make the trip :(

Magicme
05/03/2007, 1:42 PM
awwww....you got to come up! If you have to hand in your resignation & sell your house, you have to go to your clubs first ever game in the league!

No excuses people!

passinginterest
08/03/2007, 3:45 PM
Article from the Wexford Echo online today, not very exciting but here's the link (http://www.wexfordecho.ie/news/story.asp?j=25607&cat=sport)

Magicme
08/03/2007, 4:26 PM
Oh and its an 8pm kick off not 7.45 but the bar should b open from bout 6.30 so your welcome anytime!

Tazskool
08/03/2007, 4:30 PM
Is there Longwave radio coverage at all does anyone know??

DmanDmythDledge
08/03/2007, 4:51 PM
Is there Longwave radio coverage at all does anyone know??
Not a chance I'd say. You're best way of finding out is by checking www.futbol24.com which will have live goal updates.

Tazskool
08/03/2007, 5:12 PM
Cheers..

If someone is at the match can they get me a list of the numbers the players are wearing.. I hate bothering the Wexford Youth PR guy all the time lol..

Magicme
08/03/2007, 10:18 PM
pm me your email address & I can send u a copy of my match report when its finished....it will be a bit Mons biased tho prob!

ramsfan
08/03/2007, 10:36 PM
if anyone from wexford is going to the mon game make sure you get to the squealing pig pub , wall to wall beautiful women ,oh the good times that were had:rolleyes:

Magicme
08/03/2007, 10:43 PM
if anyone from wexford is going to the mon game make sure you get to the squealing pig pub , wall to wall beautiful women ,oh the good times that were had:rolleyes:

Whats with the rolling of the eyes young ram? Did u not enjoy the pig? Most visitors to Monaghan enjoy it!

Anyways they will be out in the club for their drinks!