PDA

View Full Version : The European aspect of Shels Relegation

Pablo
20/02/2007, 2:20 PM
Can anyone confirm the European ramifications of Shels relegation?

Fester
20/02/2007, 2:21 PM
Derry City CL
St Pats Uefa
Cork City Inter Toto

Celdrog
20/02/2007, 2:27 PM
Derry City CL
St Pats Uefa
Cork City Inter Toto
Only if Shels do not get a UEFA licence. Although if they cannot get a premier licence in Feb they will hardly get a UEFA licence in March.

Drogs unchanged, still take the UEFA spot from the league.

TheBoss
20/02/2007, 2:30 PM
Did Pats get their UEFA license ?

Macy
20/02/2007, 2:53 PM
Did Pats get their UEFA license ?
No one has yet. UEFA licences issued in March.

Pablo
20/02/2007, 2:55 PM
Is it possible Derry would be awarded last years title though? that Shels squad was amassed under a cloud of financial irregularities

Fester
20/02/2007, 2:56 PM
Only if Shels do not get a UEFA licence. Although if they cannot get a premier licence in Feb they will hardly get a UEFA licence in March.

Drogs unchanged, still take the UEFA spot from the league.

Sorry Should have included Drogheda Utd for the League Uefa Spot...:)

BrayUnknowns
20/02/2007, 2:57 PM
Would Derry really want to be awarded it though ? The Shels players won it on the field, not Ollie and his bouncing cheque books.

Pablo
20/02/2007, 2:58 PM
Would Derry really want to be awarded it though ? The Shels players won it on the field, not Ollie and his bouncing cheque books.

True Enough.

TheSaint2002
20/02/2007, 3:04 PM

didnt bother shels in the past so why would it bother derry.

pól-dcfc
20/02/2007, 3:26 PM

I wouldn't mind us being awarded the title. It makes no difference either way. I wouldn't be going round shooting my mouth off about being treble winners for the second time, but we probably deserved the title last season.

Mind you I'd hate that wee astrix in the almanac...

DannyInvincible
20/02/2007, 4:12 PM

Whether or not Derry City would rather win the league on the field is irrelevent. The point stands that Shels should not have been fielding the team they were and should have never been allowed to get the chance to win the title in the first place. Those Shels players who won the league were not an honest reflection of the club. First of all, they shouldn't have been Shels players at all.

Bluebeard
20/02/2007, 4:22 PM
Presumably Shels will have to give up the spot which is great news for fans of the co-efficient.

paul_oshea
20/02/2007, 4:25 PM
which is great news for fans of the co-efficient.

ya exactly, though from a Derry City supporters point of view, would ye rather be playing in the CL than the UEFA cup? I know you can drop back into the uefa cup like shels did, but ye mightnt get that far in the first place, wheresa in the uefa cup ye now have experience and have the chance of possibly making the group stages!!

paudie
20/02/2007, 4:31 PM
Is it possible Derry would be awarded last years title though? that Shels squad was amassed under a cloud of financial irregularities

I hope we don't go down that road.

Shels players were all properly registered etc, even if they weren't being paid on time so I'm not sure what grounds you would have for stripping them of the title.

The Sheliban
20/02/2007, 4:36 PM

Er, possibly because Derry spent much of last season whingeing about how the League should be won on the field of play. I presume they will protest vehemently if Shels are stripped of the right to play in Europe.

Seriously, though, it probably would be good for the coefficient if we don't take up our deserved place.

garyderry
20/02/2007, 4:53 PM
Er, possibly because Derry spent much of last season whingeing about how the League should be won on the field of play. I presume they will protest vehemently if Shels are stripped of the right to play in Europe.

Seriously, though, it probably would be good for the coefficient if we don't take up our deserved place.

could they not strip the title from $hel$ and give it to pats for the one $hel$ stole from them ;)

OneRedArmy
20/02/2007, 5:53 PM
could they not strip the title from $hel$ and give it to pats for the one $hel$ stole from them ;)Thats possibly the best suggestion (at least since Bluebeard requested that he be awarded the League title as a paperweight for his desk).

Dodge
20/02/2007, 6:21 PM
could they not strip the title from $hel$ and give it to pats for the one $hel$ stole from them ;)

post of the year!

pete
20/02/2007, 6:25 PM
Uefa CL Rules (http://www.uefa.com/newsfiles/19071.pdf)

Section 1.05 says something like - A club which has qualified on sporting merit but is denied a licence may be replaced by nationla association based on ranking in the league & which holds a licence.

Paddyfield
20/02/2007, 6:53 PM

Good call garyderry.

Dr.Nightdub
20/02/2007, 10:12 PM

Bring a hard copy of that post with you whenever youse are away to us, it should get you a few pints in McDowell's.

MariborKev
21/02/2007, 8:21 AM

Aye, we did:rolleyes:

We merely pointed out, and subsequently proved, that the League had ballsed up the Hargan affair and that there was no grounds for any points deduction.

If that counts as whinging........

MariborKev
21/02/2007, 8:24 AM
Bring a hard copy of that post with you whenever youse are away to us, it should get you a few pints in McDowell's.

Dr,

Forget about the pints, just get Gary directions to Inchicore from Tallaght. Despite living in Dublin for quite a while, every game one of us gets a call about five minutes before kick off, "Where is the ground again?":D