PDA

View Full Version : Keane pays homage to Brucie

OwlsFan
20/02/2007, 2:03 PM
Interesting. The last sentence is a bit of a joke though from Keane, considering his past history, and also the stuff about it not being about the medals :confused:

From the BBC Website:
By Rob Stewart

Roy Keane, the Sunderland manager, paid homage to Birmingham counterpart Steve Bruce yesterday and expressed astonishment at the amount of criticism his former Manchester United colleague had received from supporters at St Andrew's.

"He's getting criticised down there, a lot which I find pretty amazing," Keane said ahead of their promotion-chasing sides' meeting tonight.

"They should appreciate they've got a top manager there. Of course they had the disappointment of going down last year, but they're still clear favourites to go up. He's built a new team, really, and has done a great job. You can't worry too much about what the fans and the media have to say, you just have to focus on the job. Look at their last couple of results - they have been very good, and they will be a team peaking at the right time.

"Brucie's a top bloke and he's helped me as a manager with bits of advice. As a player he was great to play with and a real character. He's done a great job at Birmingham, and I see them as real favourites to get promoted."

Keane added: "When I look back on my career, I don't get the buzz at looking back at medals or money, but looking back and appreciating the players I played with, and Brucie was one of them.

He was always a really good character in the dressing room and seemed to spend more time in the manager's office towards the end of his career chatting to him about different stuff, so you always felt he had a chance of becoming a manager."

Bruce's cause has been hampered by his board's decision to sell Matthew Upson to West Ham, and Keane would not toe the line in similar circumstances. "I dictate who leaves and who comes to the club and that's my job, otherwise I'd be gone in two seconds," he added.

Despite suggesting he was capable of being intemperate, Keane insisted that level-headedness was central to his brand of management.

"I've not been one for ranting and raving on the sideline, and that was my mindset when I took the job," he said.

"I can rant and rave in the dressing room at half-time or after the game. It's not been difficult to keep to it, I'm quite a cool dude, really.

When asked if other managers should adopt his approach, he added: "They seem to, yes. They all need to cool down, they're all getting stressed for no reason, it's just a game of football."

see's it
20/02/2007, 3:41 PM
"its just a game of football" he should of told that to Alfie................

DmanDmythDledge
20/02/2007, 3:45 PM
"its just a game of football" he should of told that to Alfie................
Football had nothing to do with that. When Keane was lying on the ground in agony Haaland was screaming in his ear that he was a diving cheat.

John83
20/02/2007, 4:10 PM
Interesting. The last sentence is a bit of a joke though from Keane, considering his past history, and also the stuff about it not being about the medals

Keane added: "When I look back on my career, I don't get the buzz at looking back at medals or money, but looking back and appreciating the players I played with, and Brucie was one of them.
He's never been someone to revel in past glories. I've heard stories about him that suggest that he really takes no joy in winning. I think you have to be a bit odd to push yourself like he used to.

geysir
20/02/2007, 4:42 PM
"I dictate who leaves and who comes to the club and that's my job, otherwise I'd be gone in two seconds,"
That's the spirit Roy. Mellowed but not quite lost the despotic streak.

OwlsFan
21/02/2007, 7:13 AM
I see Sunderland is now so important to Bill O'Herlihy that he mentioned the result against Birmingham last night in "that hugely important game" during the Champions Anti-Ronaldo League programme on RTE. Strangely there was no mention of Mick McCarthy's 0-1 win ;)

gustavo
21/02/2007, 8:58 AM
Football had nothing to do with that. When Keane was lying on the ground in agony Haaland was screaming in his ear that he was a diving cheat.

Oh right so it was ok to wrecklessly gain revenge with a premeditated career ending tackle then.

drinkfeckarse
21/02/2007, 10:05 AM
FFS lets not have another debate on Roy Keane..

osarusan
21/02/2007, 10:52 AM

To be fair, when somebody tries to kick you, and then drops to the ground looking like they are in pain, it is not crazy to assume they are faking it (especially if you know you have done nothing to hurt them) to try and get away without punishment.

DmanDmythDledge
21/02/2007, 11:53 AM
Oh right so it was ok to wrecklessly gain revenge with a premeditated career ending tackle then.
I never said it was ok.

To be fair, when somebody tries to kick you, and then drops to the ground looking like they are in pain, it is not crazy to assume they are faking it (especially if you know you have done nothing to hurt them) to try and get away without punishment.
Seeing as Haaland had his back to Keane he didn't see how he fell. Regardless it was obvious by the way that Keane fell and reacted that it wasn't a dive.

geysir
21/02/2007, 11:54 AM
There was an interview with Roy on 5 Live after the 1-1 draw with Birmingham. He was saying more or less that he didn't feel cheated out of a victory with Birmingham's late equalizer, that's how the game can go when you don't take your chances etc.etc. At the same time his voice goes into that high pitch squeak, then you just know his real emotion is that it hurts like hell.

Poor Student
21/02/2007, 12:03 PM
He's never been someone to revel in past glories. I've heard stories about him that suggest that he really takes no joy in winning. I think you have to be a bit odd to push yourself like he used to.

He took basically no part in the celebrations for winning trophies last season at Celtic feeling he didn't really deserve having come in halfway through the season. A very strange character, I don't know what motivates him.

DmanDmythDledge
21/02/2007, 12:07 PM
A very strange character, I don't know what motivates him.
Perfection.

gustavo
21/02/2007, 12:22 PM
Perfection.

Pass the sick bucket over will ya!

see's it
21/02/2007, 12:54 PM
Perfection.

Perfection,he has liam miller in his team :)

osarusan
22/02/2007, 12:28 AM
Seeing as Haaland had his back to Keane he didn't see how he fell. Regardless it was obvious by the way that Keane fell and reacted that it wasn't a dive.

If Haaland had his back to him how could he have seen how he fell? And I dont think that you can say what was obvious to Haaland at that time.

I think that Keane was a truly great player, and by far the most influential player Ireland has ever produced, I can defend him over the Saipan incident, but I can't defend him over the Haaland incident. This idea that it was justified revenge of some kind is nonsense.

DmanDmythDledge
22/02/2007, 12:32 AM
If Haaland had his back to him how could he have seen how he fell?
:confused: Exactly my point.

osarusan
22/02/2007, 12:41 AM
Regardless it was obvious by the way that Keane fell and reacted that it wasn't a dive.

This was your point. That it was obvious to Haaland that Keane was injured.

My point is that it wasnt. He thought Keane was faking it. If a player tries to kick you, then when you turn around he is lying on the ground in apparent agony (whichin this case was real agony, but I dont think we can blame Haaland for not coming to that conclusion), it is reasonable to assume he is faking it.

DmanDmythDledge
22/02/2007, 1:48 AM
This was your point. That it was obvious to Haaland that Keane was injured.
No it wasn't. The second part of this (http://foot.ie/showpost.php?p=627829&postcount=10) post were two separate points. I was saying that if he had seen it...

My point is that it wasnt. He thought Keane was faking it. If a player tries to kick you, then when you turn around he is lying on the ground in apparent agony (which in this case was real agony, but I dont think we can blame Haaland for not coming to that conclusion), it is reasonable to assume he is faking it.
I disagree. I think it can be quite obvious when a player is faking an injury or not.

osarusan
22/02/2007, 1:57 AM
I disagree. I think it can be quite obvious when a player is faking an injury or not.

Ok, we agree to disagree.

I agree in the sense that it can be obvious in some cases (Drogba, Robben for example) if a player is acting, but in the incident in question, I also assumed Keane was acting as a way to avoid punishment. I think it is acceptable for Haaland to reach the same conclusion, wrongly as it turned out.

geysir
22/02/2007, 10:02 AM
Evidence is also in the amount of rolling. I knew Ballack was genuinly hurt last night with only one roll over. When he isn't hurt he does about 5 rollovers.

Keane appears to be doing very well in his first stint as manager.
One day he will less concerned about being in the right or in the wrong, then he will have matured as a person.

OwlsFan
22/02/2007, 12:29 PM
Keane's style of management has been interesting. No ranting and raving on the touchline at players or refs. Surprising and successful todate it has to be said and I wouldn't be a big fan ;) .

Metrostars
22/02/2007, 8:29 PM

The injury suffered by Haaland in the tackle by Keane did not lead to the end of his career.

eirebhoy
22/02/2007, 9:41 PM
He took basically no part in the celebrations for winning trophies last season at Celtic feeling he didn't really deserve having come in halfway through the season. A very strange character, I don't know what motivates him.
To be the best, on a personal level.