PDA

View Full Version : Galway United V Finn Harps Friday 16 Feb 07

ShamTalk
19/02/2007, 11:07 AM
Folks

Would like to see a new thread for each match and to concentrate on the match only as opposed to comments appearing in other threads.

So as a starter and the pre-season friendly against Finn Harps, I would make the following points;

1) A good result and a performance that would instil some confidence for the season ahead.
2) Gary Rogers: Had a very solid game and made a brilliant save at the end of the match. Competent with crosses and safe handling. A good signing.
3) James: Right full. Tigerish defender with blistering pace. Not necessarily a negative, but looks very limited going forward. Overall, solid.
4)Wes: Solid as ever
5)Nootimeer: Looks like the real deal. Solid tackler, good in the air and looks comfortable with the ball at his feet.
6) Reilly: Poor...Simply gave the ball away too much and kept hoofing the ball long. Did not look too fit either
7) Alan Murphy: Not sure if I like seeing him on the wing. Does his best work through the middle. He tried very hard which is a big plus given his overall performances last season. Still a class act and could be a crucial player this season
8) John Russell: Played well and was strong in the tackle and kept the game simple which is his strength. Hopefully a big year ahead after the injuries from last season curtailed his involvement.
9) John Lester: A lovely footballer. Always looks for the ball and a smart passer. Looks a bit heavy and perhaps not a box-to-box midfielder.

Not sure if this combination works in the middle. Would like Foley in the centre with support from either Russell or Lester.

10) Davoren: Huffed and puffed but will probably be a bit player this season. Good effort and will improve with this outing.
11) Armstrong: Big strong lad, excellent finish. Lack of pace would concern me.
12) Glynn: A bit like Davoren and would hope he will get better as the pre-season games come thick and fast ahead of 9th March kick-off

I would say, in conclusion, the manager would be very happy with the clean sheet and with many of last years team (Clery, Moran, O'Brien, Keane) all on the sidelines, there is a good squad depth for the challenges ahead.

gufct
19/02/2007, 11:21 AM
We had six Players missing on Friday Billy,Cookie,Barry,O'Flynn,O'Brien & Keane so the squad is looking very strong.

Positives Rogers,Armstrong & Noitmeer who was my MOM looks a real class footballer and well done whoever got him in. Negatives we need another left back to push philip who seemed to be struggling second half but he might have been carrying a knock as when he went off all our subs were useed and we played about 10 mins with 10 before he came back.

GuisaSaigon
19/02/2007, 11:36 AM
It was a much more solid display than the Monaghan game, Rogers and Reggie were impressive. With Wes, Reggie, Armstrong and O' Flynn we will have a lot of height in the box for set pieces

Noitmeer who was my MOM
Now that you mention it, I can see the resemblance :D

colm s
19/02/2007, 11:37 AM
Philip is a solid and versatile player and i dont think we need another left back.tony i believe is happy with him.he played a good game in newbridge and i thinkhe may have been sick or injured during the bharps game.also not all his fault as Davoren kept moving up too far and getting behind his marker thus making it very difficult for Reilly to feed the ball to him.

I think rogers is an excellent signing but i think Brinias should be given another chance.Armstrong is very talentede and will score reularly for galway.Very unsure about Glynn. would like to see Flynn up front with Armstrong.

Claret Murph
19/02/2007, 2:06 PM
We need someone who thinks like Armstrong who seems light years ahead in thinking than the rest of the side . Again what we are missing is getting to the bye line and cutting the back this is where Armstrong will come into his own . Any news on Wes as he seemed to limp off .

corbyeire
20/02/2007, 10:46 AM
murphy wont be starting for a while this year - i would loose a lot of faith in tony if he played him without him having to earn his place again

he was all over the shop - sure he held the ball and made a few runs with it - but did the pass ever come off - never

decision making and attitude have to improve 10 fold

dalying on the ball infront of goal when he should have shot - summed him up for me - a long way to go yet