PDA

View Full Version : Shamrock Rovers Tallaght

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Gareth
17/02/2007, 5:41 PM
From rte.ie

Croker to host rugby and football in 2008
Saturday, 17 February 2007 17:40

The Central Council of the GAA have agreed to allow the IRFU and FAI use Croke Park in 2008.

The IRFU will hold three Six Nations games at GAA HQ in early 2008, while the FAI will use the stadium to host two 2010 World Cup qualifiers as the Lansdowne Road redevelopment project continues.

The GAA said: 'It was agreed to accede to the IRFU and FAI's request to hold three Six Nations rugby and two World Cup soccer qualifier games respectively in Croke Park in the Spring and Autumn of 2008.'

However, the GAA said that the use of Croke Park would not extend past 2008 even if the Lansdowne project should experience delays as 'the 2005 Congress decision in relation to use of the Stadium is no longer applicable post 2008.'

Almost 82,000 watched Ireland lose to France in the first rugby game at the famous venue last week, while the football team will hope for a reversal of fortunes when they take on Wales on 24 March.

Today's Central Council meeting in Croke Park also raised the issue of the Shamrock Rovers' ground at Tallaght.

Some delegates expressed disappointment that a 'reciprocal gesture' was not being made to the GAA on the basis of the opening up of Croke Park.

The association confirmed that no other GAA grounds would be made available to the IRFU and FAI but also that no application had been made by the two associations.

The GAA added that an application to host to friendly games in 2008 by both associations was not discussed at the meeting.

The association also dismissed rumours that a wreath would be laid commemorating the victims of Bloody Sunday before Ireland play England in the RBS Six Nations next Sunday.
-------------------------

Disappointment? I think the GAA should be totally embarrassed that they are trying to ruin Shams chances of moving to Tallaght as soon as possible on the basis of wanting in on the stadium despite having many pitches around there? Do they not get enough already from the Government???? Its great they built Croke Park but they got enough cash in the interim from the Government? Leave Rovers with Tallaght for christ sake.

Magicme
17/02/2007, 5:57 PM
Funking Barstools

BohDiddley
17/02/2007, 6:04 PM
Astonishing bigotry.

Niall
17/02/2007, 6:24 PM
Anyone would think they're doing the country a favor. A hefty amount of the build was funded by tax payers money , and now they're receiving rent . Talk about a win win situation !! Fair play to them though they're playing a blinder in the PR side of things.

dcfcsteve
17/02/2007, 8:07 PM
Small minds in charge of a very big stadium. Seems some people in 'modern Ireland' are determined to stay firmly rooted to the past.

I love the whole pyrrhic victory of the GAA's opposition to rugby and football at an international level. They lost the battle here in the late 1980's - both sports are now firmly established in Ireland at international level. So rather than pretend that they can keep either down, they should just recognise that and milk the IRFU and FAI for every penny by renting Croker to them and pumping the money into their own sports.

I'd a thought after the Ireland v France game last week. There will be up to 20,000 foreign sports fans attracted to Croke park for every football and rugby event held there - from France, England, Scotland, Italy, Wales, Slovakia, Germany, and Cyprus. Rather that cling onto the anti-quated notion that sooccer and rugby at international level are threats to Gaelic games that can and must be contained at every step, why not see the opportunity that hosting these people presents for our national sports ? For example - why don't they strike a deal with the FAI and IRFU that the GAA will be given 1 or 2 pages in every programme produced for thsoe games. Then, in those pages, why doesn't the GAA run a piece in the language of the visiting fans - telling them all about the history of the great venue, introducing them to Gaelic games, and giving them contact details for how they can see and experience Gaelic Games in their own country. Gaelic games have next to zero profile outside of Ireland, yet the sports are organised on at least a basic level in almost every western country. They are also available to watch through Irish bars in almost every western country as well. So there is a real opportunity for the GAA here to educate the world about itself and expand its appeal. And given that programmes contain almost nothing in the language of the opposition country, anything written in awat fan's native tongues would get read by any of them buying one. See the opportunity here - not the fear.

Finally - will anyone be surprised if Lansdowne isn't ready for use by 2008 ? I predict a return to GAA Congress and an absolute shambles of a situation, as the Árd Comhairle attempt to force an unwilling Congress to extend their generosity by another year. Another big day out for the very small minds....

Raheny Red
17/02/2007, 9:09 PM
why not see the opportunity that hosting these people presents for our national sports ? For example - why don't they strike a deal with the FAI and IRFU that the GAA will be given 1 or 2 pages in every programme produced for thsoe games. Then, in those pages, why doesn't the GAA run a piece in the language of the visiting fans - telling them all about the history of the great venue, introducing them to Gaelic games, and giving them contact details for how they can see and experience Gaelic Games in their own country. Gaelic games have next to zero profile outside of Ireland, yet the sports are organised on at least a basic level in almost every western country. They are also available to watch through Irish bars in almost every western country as well. So there is a real opportunity for the GAA here to educate the world about itself and expand its appeal. And given that programmes contain almost nothing in the language of the opposition country, anything written in awat fan's native tongues would get read by any of them buying one. See the opportunity here - not the fear.

One of the commentators from the French game last week noted that the Gaa produced a magazine in English, Irish, and French to reporters at the game telling them about what the Gaa is exactly!

LeixlipRed
17/02/2007, 9:33 PM
One of the commentators from the French game last week noted that the Gaa produced a magazine in English, Irish, and French to reporters at the game telling them about what the Gaa is exactly!

Whats the word for bigot in French?

dfx-
17/02/2007, 9:35 PM
Today's Central Council meeting in Croke Park also raised the issue of the Shamrock Rovers' ground at Tallaght.

Some delegates expressed disappointment that a 'reciprocal gesture' was not being made to the GAA on the basis of the opening up of Croke Park.

The association confirmed that no other GAA grounds would be made available to the IRFU and FAI but also that no application had been made by the two associations.

What opening up? Rule 42 still stands.

dcfcsteve
17/02/2007, 9:41 PM

Fair play to them on this, and good to see one produced as Gaeilge as well.

Hopefully that wasn't just a one-off due to the nature of the event, and that they'll do it for all the games there. Would be good to do likewise for the fans as well.

gael353
17/02/2007, 10:20 PM
I see no reason why the GAA cant play their games in Tallaght, well if they give €1.5 million per game to rovers that is. What are they looking for 40 games per anam? €1.5* 40 = happy days for Rovers :D

dcfcsteve
17/02/2007, 11:30 PM
Steve i have picked this up right, that you think 20,000 will come from each of those countries to watch a game in Croke Park ?:confused:

Up to 20,000 RT. The bigger away crowds will be in the rugby. There should be over 10,000 English there on Saturday week, for example (I'm not sure what ticket allocation the IRFU gives). There's practically no hotel speaces left in Dublin - much worse than when the games were in Lansdowne.

Also i dont think there is any chance that the new ground will be ready by then i think the FAI today were granted permission that they could play games there in 2008 (2 world cup qualifiers for the FAI) so they must not tink so either.

The GAA Rule dispensation runs out after the 2008 games. That effectively means it runs out in Summer 2008 - as the Euro qualifiers in the football will be finished in Spring, and the Six Nations rugby likewise. So in the likely event that Lansdowne won't be ready for any games after then, where will the rugby and football teams play ?

Billy Lord
18/02/2007, 12:32 AM
I'd rather Ireland played home games in Kabul than in Croker. We'd certainly be more welcome.

Stato
18/02/2007, 7:50 AM

I think it's only fair that Shamrock Rovers should concede the use of Tallaght to the GAA for up to four international matches every year when Croke Park is being redeveloped.

pete
18/02/2007, 9:25 AM
Cyprus wont even bring 100 to the game and there wont be anything near 20,000 away fans at any match including the rugby games.

He mentioned rugby. England games have often brought that many away fans to Lansdowne even with its smaller capacity. Wales will probably bring 10k to the football match.

Superhoops
18/02/2007, 9:33 AM
The GAA Rule dispensation runs out after the 2008 games. That effectively means it runs out in Summer 2008 - as the Euro qualifiers in the football will be finished in Spring, and the Six Nations rugby likewise. So in the likely event that Lansdowne won't be ready for any games after then, where will the rugby and football teams play ?

The Euro qualifiers will be finished in November this year. The 2010 World Cup qualifiers will start in autumn 2008 and you have to assume from the press release that the FAI intend playing 2 home qualifers in October or November 2008.

If that is the case, then there will be no home games for a period of 12 months, between October 2007 and October 2008, unless any application to play friendlies in agreed by GAA. Even if there was agreement to play a couple of friendlies, they would have to be against top class opponents to attract a decent sized crowd.

Superhoops
18/02/2007, 9:45 AM
I think it's only fair that Shamrock Rovers should concede the use of Tallaght to the GAA for up to four international matches every year when Croke Park is being redeveloped.

Would the playing area at Tallaght be big enough to play GAA games or has it been sized just for football?

khoop
18/02/2007, 11:32 AM
Would the playing area at Tallaght be big enough to play GAA games or has it been sized just for football?

In return for being allowed to play a few VERY expensive games in Croke Park, the FAI are expected to facilitate the destruction of the present Tallaght Stadium structure in order to shove an enormous pitch into a restricted space - thus creating an open-plan, lop-sided joke of a stadium with greatly reduced capacity, which would look absolutely ridiculous when used for soccer games.

And all of this, although the GAA simply DO NOT NEED the stadium. They are awash with enormous stadiums already - most of which will be filled once a year at most - and they are still planning even more.

The GAA philosophy is quite simple. The more grant money and the more stadiums they can grab - the less there will be available for those nasty "foreign" games. They aren't content to simply look after their own games - they are on a crusade to restrict and hinder "foreign" games as much as possible.

What a vile organisation.

pete
18/02/2007, 12:58 PM
The GAA nay sayers attitude was summed up to me in recent RTE tv programme before the Ireland v France rugby game. GAA guy in Bishopstown in Cork was anti opening Croke Park - he explained this by showing that the local rugby club surrounded them with their pitches that it would encourage them to ask to use their GAA pitches. Why or why would a local rugby team want to use a GAA pitch when they haver their own pitches???

:rolleyes:

monkey magic
18/02/2007, 1:07 PM
The GAA nay sayers attitude was summed up to me in recent RTE tv programme before the Ireland v France rugby game. GAA guy in Bishopstown in Cork was anti opening Croke Park - he explained this by showing that the local rugby club surrounded them with their pitches that it would encourage them to ask to use their GAA pitches. Why or why would a local rugby team want to use a GAA pitch when they haver their own pitches???

:rolleyes:

typical gaa bull**** :mad: longford gaa regularily used the longford rugby grounds for training purposes over the past ten years when there were no other playable pitches in the county, or when pearse park and other club grounds used by the county teams were being redeveloped... yet gestures like these go completely unnoticed when the shoe is on the other foot.

holidaysong
18/02/2007, 1:11 PM
GAA clubs have used Oriel Park for training on. I think Windsor Park was even used by a women's GAA team for training in the not too distant past.

dcfcsteve
18/02/2007, 1:41 PM
The Euro qualifiers will be finished in November this year. The 2010 World Cup qualifiers will start in autumn 2008 and you have to assume from the press release that the FAI intend playing 2 home qualifers in October or November 2008.

If that is the case, then there will be no home games for a period of 12 months, between October 2007 and October 2008, unless any application to play friendlies in agreed by GAA. Even if there was agreement to play a couple of friendlies, they would have to be against top class opponents to attract a decent sized crowd.

But the point is - does anyone really believe Lansdowne will be ready to be used from the end of 2008/start of 2009 ? If the answer is 'no', then that opens another can of worms. It's back to the mercy of the GAA, Special Congresses and another big day out for the very small minds.

dcfcsteve
18/02/2007, 1:41 PM
GAA clubs have used Oriel Park for training on. I think Windsor Park was even used by a women's GAA team for training in the not too distant past.

Windsor was used by a camogie team early last year (if memory serves me right) when they were really struggling for somewhere to train.

Superhoops
18/02/2007, 2:56 PM
But the point is - does anyone really believe Lansdowne will be ready to be used from the end of 2008/start of 2009 ? If the answer is 'no', then that opens another can of worms. It's back to the mercy of the GAA, Special Congresses and another big day out for the very small minds.

No, they don't.

Even if the project was completed on time, there was never any question of it being ready for the start of 2009. The building phase of the project is scheduled to take 27 months. Originally, this was due to commence in January 2007 for completion in April/May 2009. Already the start date is late and the very earliest that completion can be expected is August/September 2009. If that did happen it would allow just enough time to play say, the last two home qualifiers for WC2010, in the the new LR.

I hope I am wrong, but I don't expect to see an international; football game in the new LR until early 2010.

khoop
18/02/2007, 3:27 PM
If the answer is 'no', then that opens another can of worms. It's back to the mercy of the GAA, Special Congresses and another big day out for the very small minds

It's a ludicrous situation. Delaney (along with the government) thinks he's playing cute by not asking for too much initially.

But it means that while the FAI are paying out enourmous amounts over the next couple of years for Croke Park (money that they really need for Lansdowne) they will have to carry on licking the GAA's boots, knowing full well that a request for an extension will eventually have to be made.

Thanks John - you just carry on making total gobsh!tes out of soccer fans.

blackholesun
18/02/2007, 10:55 PM
Thomas Bigots GAA club have excellent facilities already in Talla ...
A county ground is in the pipeline in Rathcoole ...
The council have said that the GAA can have access to the ground to play junior and schools games ...
but that still all not enough for them ........................................

The dinosaurs running Thomas Bigots are trying to thwart the development of SRFC and soccer in Tallaght and West Dublin, thats what this is all about.

bhs

gspain
19/02/2007, 8:01 AM
There should be over 10,000 English there on Saturday week, for example (I'm not sure what ticket allocation the IRFU gives). There's practically no hotel speaces left in Dublin - much worse than when the games were in Lansdowne.

For the 2003 Ireland v England game every hotel bed was booked as far away as Portlaoise most on full rack rate which hotels rarely get. Estimates had that game alone worth €90 million to the economy.

Football internationals and other rugby games are not worth as much but are still significant contributors to the economy. Internationals mean visiting players and fans. they mean flights, hotels, restaurants

The ticket allocation is irrelevant - about 8,000 but most clubs here sell a percentage to corporate hospitality hwich typically end up with england fans.

The weekend statement may be just a sop to the hardline bigots who still have a lot of power in GAA corridors. It doesn't rule out football and rugby from Croke Park after 2008.

paudie
19/02/2007, 12:28 PM
A county ground is in the pipeline in Rathcoole ...
The council have said that the GAA can have access to the ground to play junior and schools games ...
but that still all not enough for them ........................................

bhs

I was wondering if the SDCC would do that before the court hearing in March.

Glad to see they have.

At least now they GAA can't say the ground isn't available for them and it becomes more clear that they just want to delay the move of Rovers to Tallaght.

hoopy
16/03/2007, 10:28 AM
Court case under way, I'm sure we have the best wishes of the majority on here ;)

Ebmania
16/03/2007, 10:33 AM
Any news on when that we come to a decision on this hole thing. Seems to be going on for years. Adleast if you have to share with the greedy GAA then you can get moving.

hoopy
16/03/2007, 10:37 AM
To share with them means to knock the stand down and start from scratch, thats not an option at this stage

oriel
16/03/2007, 10:43 AM
I`m 100% behind Rovers on this one as I`m fully up to date with whats going on re Tallaght. Also its a near miracle how they survived post Milltown, so I hope they get good news today.

BohsPartisan
16/03/2007, 11:08 AM
Court case under way,

The first and last time I will say this...
Come on Rovers! :eek:

I'm off to sit in the shower for a few hours, I feel dirrrrrrrrrty! :o

Réiteoir
16/03/2007, 11:16 AM
same here BP

Not in the same shower mind you - but for the good of the League and football in this country - come on Rovers

Dr.Nightdub
16/03/2007, 11:21 AM
"Having no home is such a bitch
Tallaght's gonna be a bogball pitch"

Don't fancy having to rewrite the Army Song. ;)

WeAreRovers
16/03/2007, 11:32 AM
"Having no home is such a bitch
Tallaght's gonna be a bogball pitch"

Don't fancy having to rewrite the Army Song. ;)

Doc, we had to ditch our version of Wonderwall when Bohs (eventually) won the league. I was gutted. Got over it in time though. :)

KOH

BohDiddley
16/03/2007, 11:44 AM
Court case under way, I'm sure we have the best wishes of the majority on here ;)
Yes you have. Football first.
Best of luck against the grabbers!

paudie
16/03/2007, 12:11 PM
Good luck to Rovers.

Time for the SDCC/Rovers legal team to earn their corn and stop Thomas Davis dragging out this saga any more.

Erstwhile Bóz
16/03/2007, 12:37 PM
Good luck to all concerned and may the legal team who argue most successfully win; hopefully a mutually beneficial compromise can be reached in as sensible a fashion as possible, ideally involving a court order against the hysterical use of terms such as "bigots" and "vile organization" along the way. :)

hoopy
16/03/2007, 1:17 PM
Latest is that the bigot council have waffled all the way to lunchtime, especially about 'historical' importance of GAA etc. SDCC council and ours due to start around now so it's looking unlikely that a decision may be made today

WeAreRovers
16/03/2007, 1:37 PM
hysterical use of terms such as "bigots" and "vile organization" along the way. :)

Both terms are essentially correct though and Thomas Davis's submission to the court this morning proves it. Lots of blather about culture and language. Apparently we're (football) inferior Irishmen. Bigots is too kind a word. :rolleyes:

KOH

BohDiddley
16/03/2007, 1:47 PM
Both terms are essentially correct though and Thomas Davis's submission to the court this morning proves it. Lots of blather about culture and language. Apparently we're (football) inferior Irishmen. Bigots is too kind a word. :rolleyes:

KOH
Looking forward to the transcripts on that!
As for hoping that the best team of lawyers wins, what a load of utter nonsense!

wws
16/03/2007, 1:51 PM
Wait Til They Play The "abortion" Trump Card!

neville neville
16/03/2007, 1:53 PM
Good luck to all concerned and may the legal team who argue most successfully win; hopefully a mutually beneficial compromise can be reached in as sensible a fashion as possible, ideally involving a court order against the hysterical use of terms such as "bigots" and "vile organization" along the way. :)

I can't think of 2 better phrases to describe them than "bigots" and "vile organization"

WeAreRovers
16/03/2007, 1:55 PM
Wait Til They Play The "abortion" Trump Card!

Is 'Trump' not a dirty word in Inchicore these days?

KOH

galwayhoop
16/03/2007, 2:11 PM
hope all goes well for rovers today but is anyone prepared to give a brief synopisis of why thomas davis are insisting on sharing the ground with rovers.

please refrain from terms such as bigots, vile organisation...etc in answer. non-partisan reply if possible!

my take is:
offical line: that because it is financed by the county council that they feel it should be a municipal stadium, which incopropates gaelic games.
reality: GAA are freightened that youngsters in the area will choose soccer over gaelic football

BohDiddley
16/03/2007, 2:19 PM
There's a very weird form of pre-emptive censorship going on here, and with more than one poster.
Are we afraid to contemplate the possibility that, beyond the huffing and puffing about legalities, there is simple bigotry?

wws
16/03/2007, 2:20 PM
There's a very weird form of pre-emptive censorship going on here, and with more than one poster.
Are we afraid to contemplate the possibility that, beyond the huffing and puffing about legalities, there is simple bigotry?

huh???

explain

CharlesThompson
16/03/2007, 2:29 PM
huh???

explain

I think he means that the GAA's stance on the stadium in Tallaght could purely be down to bigotry as a possibility as such.

Erstwhile Bóz
16/03/2007, 2:36 PM
As for hoping that the best team of lawyers wins, what a load of utter nonsense!
"May the legal team who argue most successfully win" (in the eyes of whoever's presiding, of course). When things go to litigation instead of mediation that is essentially what you're relying on. Unfortunately this is what it boils down to now in this situation.

Rovers have a good case, they're probably in the right, and they should win through. The anti-GAA ballsology makes me almost not give a feck either way, though.

Saying that the GAA are "bigots" and referring to them as a "vile organization" is as pathetic as saying everybody who calls the GAA "bigots" is a "bigot". I can't see how such ridiculous language would attract support for Rovers' cause, either, except of course amongst the converted who are already fully aware of the bigotry and vileness of the GAA.

And Thomas Davis referred to football people as "inferior Irishmen" in their submission to-day, as well? How ill-advised! They must have crap lawyers; Rovers are laughing, so.

John83
16/03/2007, 2:36 PM
Good luck to Rovers.