PDA

View Full Version : Ronan Finn makes U-21 squad

DmanDmythDledge
17/02/2007, 2:38 PM
From FAI (http://www.fai.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1715) website:

Republic of Ireland Under-21 team manager Don Givens has been forced into making several changes to his squad for the 11th annual Madeira Cup tournament from February 27th – March 2nd.
Ireland’s won the trophy on the island of Madeira last year and will defend their title by playing three matches against Slovakia (February 27th), Madeira (February 28th) and Portugal (March 2nd).

Goalkeepers Darren Randolph and Shane Supple along with midfielders Stephen Quinn, Darron Gibson and Owen Garvan as well as Anthony Stokes are all unable to travel with the squad.

The two goalkeepers have been replaced by Rene Gilmartin (Walsall) and James Russell (Chelsea). Michael O’Connor from Crewe Alexandra, who made his Ireland debut in the last Under-21 fixture against in October against Luxembourg, has been drafted in, as has Sunderland winger Billy Dennehy Three more eircom league players have been called up with James Chambers (Shelbourne), Ronan Finn (UCD) and Gary Curran (Sligo Rovers) now in the panel.

Fixtures
Tuesday 27th February :
REPUBLIC OF IRELAND V SLOVAKIA
COMPLEXO DESPORTIVO AF MADEIRA – KICK-OFF 18.00 HRS LOCAL TIME

Wednesday 28th February :
MADEIRA V REPUBLIC OF IRELAND
ESTADIO ENG RUI ALVES - KICK-OFF 16.00 HRS LOCAL TIME

Friday 2nd March:
PORTUGAL V REPUBLIC OF IRELAND
ESTADIOS DE MACHICO - KICK-OFF 12.00 HRS LOCAL TIME

Republic of Ireland Squad
Rene Gilmartin (Walsall)
James Russell (Chelsea)
Tony Kane (Blackburn Rovers)
Joe O’Cearuill (Brighton & Hove Albion)
Conor Powell (Bohemians)
Darren O’Dea (Celtic)
Stephen O’Halloran (Aston Villa)
Ryan O’Leary (Kilmarnock)
Michael Synnott (Ipswich Town)
James O’Brien (Dunfermline Athletic)
Billy Dennehy (Sunderland)
James Chambers (Shelbourne)
Michael O’Connor (Crewe Alexander)
Gary Curran (Sligo Rovers)
Ian Morris (ScĂșnthorpe United)
John Paul Kelly (Bohemians)
Chris McCann (Burnley)
Ronan Finn (UCD)
Billy Clarke (Ipswich Town)
Adam Rooney (Stoke City)
Jonathan Hayes (Milton Keynes Dons)

No Quigley or Dicker though for some reason.

John83
17/02/2007, 2:45 PM
Are they just after going overage?

DmanDmythDledge
17/02/2007, 2:46 PM
Are they just after going overage?
No, they're both 20.

Poor Student
17/02/2007, 2:53 PM
It's well deserved. That's 4 different players we've had called into the U-21s in the last 18 months. Considering Randolph is out and all I can't figure out why Quigley isn't there. How have the likes of Chambers gotten in ahead of Dicker?:confused:

John83
17/02/2007, 2:58 PM
It's well deserved. That's 4 different players we've had called into the U-21s in the last 18 months. Considering Randolph is out and all I can't figure out why Quigley isn't there. How have the likes of Chambers gotten in ahead of Dicker?:confused:
Is it possible that they've left Dicker alone to let him establish himself at Birmingham?

DmanDmythDledge
17/02/2007, 3:02 PM
Considering Randolph is out and all I can't figure out why Quigley isn't there. How have the likes of Chambers gotten in ahead of Dicker?:confused:

Is it possible that they've left Dicker alone to let him establish himself at Birmingham?
The squad is for the Madeira tournament and if I recall correctly from last year the strongest squad wasn't picked, although that doesn't seem to be the case this year with Stokes, Rooney etc eing picked.

ilovejam
17/02/2007, 3:51 PM
It's officially an Under 20 tournament,

CollegeTillIDie
17/02/2007, 5:54 PM
Well not only that Don Givens has a former association with Birmingham City and that could also be behind the non-selection of Gary Dicker to give him a chance to make an impression.

ilovejam
17/02/2007, 6:23 PM
As i said it is an Under 20 tournament, therefore Gary being an Under 21 he is too old.

pineapple stu
17/02/2007, 6:58 PM
That would make sense.

When'e the next U-21 game then? Could we have an all UCD centre-mid?!

ilovejam
17/02/2007, 7:05 PM
FRIENDLY

Tuesday, March 27: Netherlands U21 v Rep of Ireland U21, Venue to be decided.

From fai.ie

DmanDmythDledge
22/02/2007, 12:53 PM
As i said it is an Under 20 tournament, therefore Gary being an Under 21 he is too old.
He is 20.

That would make sense.

When'e the next U-21 game then? Could we have an all UCD centre-mid?!
I highly doubt it, seeing as Finn only got into the squad after players pulled out.

DmanDmythDledge
28/02/2007, 9:49 PM
Finn played the second half today and almost scored.