PDA

View Full Version : Future league clubs?

Pages : [1] 2

Pablo Escobar
17/02/2007, 11:10 AM
Where could we see league clubs emerging from in the future?

IMO Navan is one, population is expected to grow to 60,000 by 2011.

TommyT
17/02/2007, 11:56 AM
By 2011 Bohs will be down the road

Dr.Nightdub
17/02/2007, 12:01 PM
D'you not think we should be concentrating on hanging on to the clubs we've got? Young Boys Ferns are replacing CHF. Limerick 37 are replacing the old Limerick. Shels, who knows? A bit more stability would be good.

Anyone got a link to the licencing manual? :rolleyes:

Pablo Escobar
17/02/2007, 12:59 PM

Never thought of that actually.

We draw a lot of our support from large satelite towns, so it's sort of the same situation really.

pineapple stu
17/02/2007, 1:04 PM
Is there a team in Navan at the moment?

The league hasn't had much success with inventing clubs to represent entire counties or areas, to be honest. I'd rather see existing clubs with a bit of history and local attachment promoted to the league.

monutdfc
17/02/2007, 1:39 PM
Parkvilla are from Navan

TheBoss
17/02/2007, 4:06 PM
I live here, Parkvilla is the biggest team in Navan, but the Stadium is not too great to host high league football. They would probaly have to use Praic Tailteann at the moment, but could improve the stadium by 2011

sligoman
17/02/2007, 4:12 PM
A Mayo team.

Terry
18/02/2007, 8:16 AM
Im sure mullingar would have got a team in at that stage since they have been trying to get a team in for a while now, if you'd listen to rumours that often go on. Would like to see a tipp team make it back to, something like thurles town or clonmel or something.

On Navan, arent the drogs new stadium going to be just down the road too ?

BohsPartisan
18/02/2007, 8:45 AM
I live here, Parkvilla is the biggest team in Navan, but the Stadium is not too great to host high league football. They would probaly have to use Praic Tailteann at the moment, but could improve the stadium by 2011

Claremount stadium has a running track so If stands were built they'd probably be quite a distance from the pitch. Absolutely no way the GAA would let PT be used for Association Football. Can't see Villa ever going for league status. Think there was talk of it back in the 70's/80's when they had a few decent FAI cup runs but thats the height of it.
On Drogheda, they'll be no nearer to Navan than they are now. They are just moving to the far side of the town on the way out to Duleek.

Poor Student
18/02/2007, 9:33 AM
Seeming as we're now talking about the experimental third flight I'd like to see teams from UCC, UL, Trinity and maybe DCU to add a bit of stability and variety. They could pad out the league without having to ever press higher up the league if they don't want.

Only for their proximity to Galway United I'd say Salthill Devon would be excellent candidates. They won the U-21 league where some other LOI clubs couldn't field a team every week. They've also got good facilities.

It's strongly rumoured that a club is being put together for Fingal County to link up with the junior scene. I think Dermot Keeley is linked with that.

Like Pineapple Stu I'd prefer to see the Kildare County type franchise idea (no insult to Kildare fans, it's a well run club) avoided and build on an existing non-league clubs in vacuum areas e.g. promote Wesport United or Castlebar Celtic instead of "Mayo County".

NavanBohs
18/02/2007, 10:57 AM
Navan would be great I'd have an away game or two every season about 5 minutes walk away from me.

It's been a while since I've been in Claremont Stadium but I'm not sure Parkvilla would even have the space to build any kind of stand there either

Poor Student
18/02/2007, 11:11 AM
We want to attract people to the league not bring more teams with no support no offence like UCD.

The third tier is experimental. it'll contain 10 reserve sides, it won't be about attendances and crowds. We'll need sides who can survive off little or no support to give some opposition to club's reserve teams and senior football hopeful clubs. They could also play a developmental role like UCD but to a lesser extent.

holidaysong
18/02/2007, 11:45 AM
How much information is out there on this third tier apart from what was on the IAG implementation document? Will teams such as Trinity be invited to take part? Will it be a country wide division or regionalised? Surely the LSL would serve a college team like Trinity better? Being in the city centre they don't have a catchment area like UCD do and students won't support the team as they already have their own league team to support - Dundalk in my case.

BohsPartisan
18/02/2007, 12:28 PM
It's been a while since I've been in Claremont Stadium but I'm not sure Parkvilla would even have the space to build any kind of stand there either

theres also the ownership issue. Do they own Claremount? I think Navan Athletics club own it.

Poor Student
18/02/2007, 1:04 PM
How much information is out there on this third tier apart from what was on the IAG implementation document? Will teams such as Trinity be invited to take part? Will it be a country wide division or regionalised? Surely the LSL would serve a college team like Trinity better? Being in the city centre they don't have a catchment area like UCD do and students won't support the team as they already have their own league team to support - Dundalk in my case.

It's regionalised and Premier Division teams have an obligation to enter a reserve team and First Division sides have an option. There's a kind of pilot model on the FAI merger document that shows Trinity and the Garda teams in an example league. It's not a full third flight but an experimental league.

holidaysong
18/02/2007, 1:23 PM
The playoff between the winner of the A Championship and bottom in the First Division is a good idea. Should makes things a wee bit more interesting down at the bottom of the First Division towards the end of the season.

steno
18/02/2007, 4:12 PM
Would certainly make things interesting in the bottom of the First. Would also provide a route to the eircom league for any club who may develope an ambition to play at the top level over the years to come.

holidaysong
18/02/2007, 4:27 PM
Although I'd like to think that this won't be the only way for clubs to join the league in the future. Perhaps the reserve teams of clubs like Derry, Cork and Bohemians will dominate the A Championship and a club like Castlebar Celtic won't get to the stage where they have a chance at a playoff with bottom in the first. I'd like to think that the league would expand in the future if a lot of new clubs look to join the league as our population centres grow across the country.

Kerry Blue
18/02/2007, 4:47 PM
Although I'd like to think that this won't be the only way for clubs to join the league in the future. Perhaps the reserve teams of clubs like Derry, Cork and Bohemians will dominate the A Championship and a club like Castlebar Celtic won't get to the stage where they have a chance at a playoff with bottom in the first. I'd like to think that the league would expand in the future if a lot of new clubs look to join the league as our population centres grow across the country.

While Premier Division teams will be obligated to have reserve teams in this A Championship, they will not be eligible to gain promotion to the First Division. That is my understanding of it anyway. So I presume the top team in the A Championship that isn't a reserve team will be involved in the play-off.

sonofstan
18/02/2007, 4:48 PM
there might be room for a second team in north Dublin - particularly east of the Airport road

Dodge
18/02/2007, 4:52 PM
Starting to like the A championship idea. Similar to the Spanish League.

Oh and no Intermediate side is going to make the step up to LOI anytime soon. Look at the recent history. Most are far too comfortable in their own little worlds (and best of luck to them)

Any new clubs in the el will probably be franchise jobs like Wexford or Limerick 37

steno
18/02/2007, 4:53 PM
Far as I remember the team would have to finish in one of their regional division playoff places assuming they get enough teams to regionalise the A championship. But even if it wasn't enogh teams to regionalise, would still be some sort of playoff for the A championship title?.

I seem to remeber as well that if no team reaches the playoff the team that finishes bottom of the 1st remain in the First without having to playoff to consolidate their spot in Div 1.

steno
18/02/2007, 4:55 PM
Starting to like the A championship idea. Similar to the Spanish League.

Oh and no Intermediate side is going to make the step up to LOI anytime soon. Look at the recent history. Most are far too comfortable in their own little worlds (and best of luck to them)

Any new clubs in the el will probably be franchise jobs like Wexford or Limerick 37

Can't see it happening myself but the option will always be there for them if they can stump up the 5,000 entrance fee for the A championship.

Dodge
18/02/2007, 5:22 PM
Don't thin it'll happen either. just saying that if any club enters the league they'l;l be a new entity rather than an intermediate side making the step up

Sam_Heggy
18/02/2007, 7:40 PM
Letterkenny Rovers will have the money and facilities in the next few years............. but as for fanbase i cant see it. letterkenny is a big town but any1 with interest in loi (within the area) r Harps fans so i couldn see it. i presume it would be the same for most areas with an established team in medium close proximity.

steno
18/02/2007, 8:34 PM
I take it that A league teams will also play in the FAI cup and League Cup asssuming that they are not already reserve teams from Premier or 1st Div teams.

So how will that affect those sides that already compete in the League Cup but not the League and will there be any additional rounds in the FAI Cup.

Or Will the A league teams be added into the 1st round draw of the FAI Cup with the Senior League sides or go directly into the second round like Premier and Div 1 clubs?.

Cluba06
18/02/2007, 8:38 PM
I heard about a club in the meath and district league who have a ten year plan that will see them rise from meath and district league football to lsl and into the first division, does rock celtic ring any bells??
some of their first team squad and previous clubs:
Kevin Mullen-newry fc
David McGeough-stoke,newry,dundalk
Johnaton Sharkey- dundalk
Gerry Breen- leeds,newry,dundalk
Ciaran Dunne-Dundalk
Derek Delaney-ipswich,dundalk,drog,newry,kildare,glenavon and bluebell

steno
18/02/2007, 8:46 PM
I heard about a club in the meath and district league who have a ten year plan that will see them rise from meath and district league football to lsl and into the first division, does rock celtic ring any bells??
some of their first team squad and previous clubs:
Kevin Mullen-newry fc
David McGeough-stoke,newry,dundalk
Johnaton Sharkey- dundalk
Gerry Breen- leeds,newry,dundalk
Ciaran Dunne-Dundalk
Derek Delaney-ipswich,dundalk,drog,newry,kildare,glenavon and bluebell

Derek Delaney was with Kildare County at the start of last season but dissappeared after a couple of months was wondering where he went too.

Cluba06
19/02/2007, 1:09 PM
he went to bluebell this season then back to rock celtic now played last weekend

Dr.Nightdub
19/02/2007, 11:53 PM
I take it that A league teams will also play in the FAI cup and League Cup asssuming that they are not already reserve teams from Premier or 1st Div teams.

Didn't Ajax end up playing Ajax Reserves in the Dutch Cup Final a few years back?

TheBoss
20/02/2007, 12:16 AM
Yes, they did, I think it was a Semi Final.

dcfcsteve
20/02/2007, 11:17 AM
The playoff between the winner of the A Championship and bottom in the First Division is a good idea. Should makes things a wee bit more interesting down at the bottom of the First Division towards the end of the season.

Only problem is that a lot of the time the A League team winners may have no genuine interest in progressing into the senior structure. So having won the right to contest such a play-off, they may well be keen to do it - seeing it as a mini Cup Final - but then turn around and say 'no thanks' if they did win it. So it'd be meaningless.

Maxi could therefore have his work cut out for him over the next few seasons...... :D :p

DecBoh
20/02/2007, 11:25 AM

From where, it certainly wont be Navan :confused:

Mr A
20/02/2007, 11:28 AM
The deal with the A championship as I remember it is that for a side to be eligible to have a playoff they must finish in the top four and be the highest finishing non-reserve side. If the competition is regionalized (and that's the plan) and clubs in both sections fulfill this they playoff against each other for the right to challenge the last eL team.

Basically, it sounds like it will be very difficult for anybody new to get into the league, as many of the reserve sides will be quite strong, and the expense of competing in it and working up to licensing standards would be very high.

NY Hoop
20/02/2007, 11:42 AM
there might be room for a second team in north Dublin - particularly east of the Airport road

Are you for real? Has history taught you nothing. The present 5 clubs in Dublin is more than enough. We dont any more fiascos like CHF, Francis and Gate.

We can hardly sustain the 22 clubs in the league at the moment ffs.

As for the A League that's a different story.

KOH

The Man Himself
20/02/2007, 12:14 PM
less dublin teams and more country teams would make it a better league,
now that we have wexford in i think more teams from the likes of kerry, tipperary, naven, caven, roscommon, meath, claire, and get rid of pats, ucd, and shels from dublin. rovers and bohs would be enough teams from dublin and change their names to dublin north and dublin south.

Lim till i die
20/02/2007, 12:20 PM
less dublin teams and more country teams would make it a better league,
now that we have wexford in i think more teams from the likes of kerry, tipperary, naven, caven, roscommon, meath, claire, and get rid of pats, ucd, and shels from dublin. rovers and bohs would be enough teams from dublin and change their names to dublin north and dublin south.

A particularly poor attempt at a wind up

Although I was a little shocked at the thought of a whole team in "claire" :eek:

Raheny Red
20/02/2007, 12:22 PM
A particularly poor attempt at a wind up

Although I was a little shocked at the thought of a whole team in "claire" :eek:

The whole lot of his posts are Wums

CraftyToePoke
20/02/2007, 12:29 PM
personally, id like to see Newcastle West give it another shot, its a significantly bigger town now than when thet dropped out in the early 90's so they may get a better attendance.

Lim till i die
20/02/2007, 9:40 PM
personally, id like to see Newcastle West give it another shot, its a significantly bigger town now than when thet dropped out in the early 90's so they may get a better attendance.

Ah we'll take that catchment area thank you very much ;)

Although as a local derby, it would be class :)

Paddyfield
20/02/2007, 9:47 PM
Didn't Ajax end up playing Ajax Reserves in the Dutch Cup Final a few years back?

Didn't Home Farm end up playing Home Farm Everton in the FAI Cup a few years ago?

superblues
20/02/2007, 10:09 PM
Tipperary should be well able to enter a decent team. They have alot of good junior clubs that are always in the mix when it comes to the Junior Cup latter stages!!! I was very surprised they didnt put forward a serious package to try get a team into the First Division.

Lim till i die
20/02/2007, 10:17 PM
Tipperary should be well able to enter a decent team. They have alot of good junior clubs that are always in the mix when it comes to the Junior Cup latter stages!!! I was very surprised they didnt put forward a serious package to try get a team into the First Division.

We need the Northern part of that catchment area too, it's an anti Limerick conspiracy I tell you :eek:

Besides didn't Thurles Town ride into the league on the back of a tidal wave of disinterest not so long ago :confused:

bawn79
21/02/2007, 8:07 AM
We need the Northern part of that catchment area too, it's an anti Limerick conspiracy I tell you :eek:

Besides didn't Thurles Town ride into the league on the back of a tidal wave of disinterest not so long ago :confused:

Its funny Im from Nenagh and I think that most of the north of Tipp would probably see Limerick as being closer than say Clonmel.
I think a South Tipp team wouldnt really attract much support from north Tipp while a successful Limerick club probably would attract a bit more.

bigmac
21/02/2007, 10:14 AM
Don't thin it'll happen either. just saying that if any club enters the league they'l;l be a new entity rather than an intermediate side making the step up

Probably a better model for sustainability though. Look at Limerick 37 as an example - they already have more going for them in terms of a pyramid structure and connectivity into the footballing community than if just one single club made the leap forward.

drummerboy
21/02/2007, 11:36 AM
Didn't Home Farm end up playing Home Farm Everton in the FAI Cup a few years ago?

Thats right. Home Farm had a team in the LSL at the time. They dispanded half-way through this season. Amazing when you think of all the players at their disposal.

Jamjar
21/02/2007, 11:50 AM
Would certainly make things interesting in the bottom of the First. Would also provide a route to the eircom league for any club who may develope an ambition to play at the top level over the years to come.

Like Shels for instance.

passinginterest
21/02/2007, 11:52 AM
As bigmac is suggesting I think any new teams should be looking at close ties with local league structures. Sort of representative teams of these leagues, giving the better players an obvious development route. If you get agreement from all teams within the league first it prevents the new club causing friction with existing junior/intermediate sides in the area. Wexford Youths seems to be based on this same type of structure.

pineapple stu
21/02/2007, 12:41 PM
They did, yeah. Think it was 3-0 to HF Everton. Played in Tolka, I think?