PDA

View Full Version : Current Squad-WORST IN 40 YEARS

LFC Blue
13/12/2002, 11:33 PM
Personally i believe the current Limerick FC squad is probably the worst ever produced by the club.Apart from Stephen O'Flynn and a couple more the current playing staff are a joke.The fact that Limerick are somewhat competitive illustrates that the standard of this seasons 1st Division has seldom been lower.Take for example the Dave Connell led team of 1997/1998 which got to the playoff versus UCD experienced players of the calibre of Eddie Hickey,Albert Finnin,Ray O'Halloran,Jason O'Connor,Howie King,Jason Purcell and Anthony Tobin.If that team under Connell competed in this seasons 1st division i believe they would win it handsomely.Quite clearly the problem lies with the manager Noel O'Connor in 1997 he was a hugely successful Limerick Youths manager where he should have stayed.He has proved he is not capable of keeping experienced quality players like those i have mentioned from turning their backs on Limerick for Junior soccer.O'Connor can only demand the respect of a bunch of youngsters who are only going to college,younsters he had with him on his youth teams while all the respected footballers of Limerick City in the age bracket 25-35 star week in week out for the Fairviews and Janesboros.Dave Connell a respected professional who starred for Shamrock Rovers in his day proved the only man in recent years who could earn the respect of such players and prize them from the junior scene.Connell got Limerick within a kick of a ball to the premier league,brought the crowds to Rathbane and attracted players to Limerick Fc from the Junior scene with as little resources as O'Connor currently has!!!

sadloserkid
16/12/2002, 9:05 AM
Originally posted by LFC BLUE
Jason Purcell and Anthony Tobin.

You had me going there until I saw this. Jason Purcell is one of the reasons we finished botom last year. Mercenaries like himself and David Dunphy didn't give a damn about the club and Purcell put in sod all effort. This team is better than the one than O'Connor inherited. And aside from O'Flynn (who, class aside, is a mercenary too. There's more chance of me turning out for Limerick next year than him!) Finucane, Welderick, Fyffe, Purcell, Keating and at a push Hughes and John Whyte give us a good core. We're still about three or four players short or really challenging though and there are a couple of players who are badly off the pace. Very badly. But Anthony Tobin? Are you serious? :)

LFC in Exile
16/12/2002, 1:50 PM
I think the current squad is one of the best we've had in a decade.

Apart from Ray O'Halloran (who just got too old - maybe we could cut Shane O'Donoghue's legs off and transplant them onto Razor to keep him going another few years), none of the players you mentioned are better than Stephen O'Flynn, Paul Finucane, Pat Purcell, Brendan Hughes or Oran Weldrick. Also, you talk about players going from senior to junior. J. Purcell was no loss. A class player but didn't care. He is happy now being a big fish in a small pond. Albert Finnan was gone too old (a very committed player), Razor just retired (doing the stuff now with Balla I think).

What about the signing of Colm Heffernan from Fairview? Conor Molan, Eoin Keating and Barry Ryan. In the last two years, since O'Connor left more players have come from junior to senior than have gone the other way.

Anthony Tobin and Howie King? Please.

We are competitive in this division. We are 4 points off a play-off spot (and third from the bottom - crazy stuff). The fact that clubs who get relegated don't bounce straight back suggests to me that there is very little difference between Division 1 and the bottom of the premier.

Éanna
16/12/2002, 2:52 PM
Originally posted by sadloserkid
And aside from O'Flynn (who, class aside, is a mercenary too. There's more chance of me turning out for Limerick next year than him!)
I thought he was just on loan with ye, hence not too much of a mercenary............

BlueisBeautiful
16/12/2002, 5:23 PM
Sometimes lads I am baffled by your comments, putting the boot into J.Purcell and A.Tobin. When they both played for Limerick they were two of the most commited players i have ever seen for the club. I think if they were here now they would do a whole lot better than some of the new lads, for determination alone. Good shout by L.F.C in exile, O'Halloran, a class player in his day and a football man, who could be a dark horse for the job in the future.

sadloserkid
17/12/2002, 8:14 AM
Jason Purcell walked out on Limerick last year. That's how commited he was. He's apparently mouthing about doing the same to Fairview now if my sources are to be believed. Nice guy... 'Bubbles' was a tryer alright, a player in the Ciarán Foley mould who works very hard and does his best but he doesn't alter a game like O'Flynn can.

BlueisBeautiful
17/12/2002, 5:23 PM
.... but I cant let you besmirch the reputation of these two fine players who gave a lot to the club while they were there. I'm not having a go, but you werent around when they were at their best for the Lims and posting these kinds of messages may gave a false impression to others. Like I said I'm not taking the high moral ground but I just think this needs to be said.

LFC Blue
17/12/2002, 6:10 PM
'Bubbles' was a tryer alright, a player in the Ciarán Foley mould who works very hard and does his best but he doesn't alter a game like O'Flynn can. [/B][/QUOTE]

Sorry SLK but that statement is an absolute insult to Anthony Tobin.While i have alot of respect for Foley's work rate to be quite honest i can't believe the man is playing in the Natonal League.His lack of pace,height and ability mean he's just not up to it.How you can compare him to Tobin is beyond me,Tobin is a top class target man who can make life hell for the most physical of centre halfs in the LOI and has a great touch for a big man.he would be a great asset but i could never see him respecting a rookie like Noel O'Connor who is out of his depth at the moment managing a LOI club.As for your insults on Purcell again i'm afraid there well out of order did you ever see the man taking a stranglehold on a game and dictating a game from midfield the man oozes class.At the moment we have no-one in the centre of midfield who can spray passes and get forward and score consistently.again like Tobin he would be a huge asset and if what you say is true about him being unsettled at Fairview why is'nt O'Connor trying to entice him back to Limerick-the reason i'm afraid is like Tobin,Purcell does not respect O'Connor.calling Purcell a marcenary is absurd why not have a poll.Who would the Limerick fans prefer in the centre of midfield Jason purcell or that pons Anton Mannering with his fake English accent????

sadloserkid
18/12/2002, 8:29 AM
What part of Jason Purcell walked out on Limerick don't you understand? He has the ability all right but he has no application. He's a star in his head. I don't care how good he was 5-6 seasons ago. By the time I saw him, he was a disinterested passenger with no grit or drive. I'd sooner see David Dunphy (or 'Bubbles' or Paul Harmon for that matter) come back than Purcell who has more ego than he does ambition. If he's that good why did he end up back with Fairview after he threw his Roy Keane-style tantrum? AS LFC In Exile pointed out above he's content to be a big fish in a small pond.

LFC in Exile
18/12/2002, 12:39 PM
As regards the question which would I prefer in midfield Jason Purcell or Anton Mannering, I would have to ask which Jason Purcell? He is a class player no doubt, possibly one the most gifted to play for Limerick in the last decade. However, he was disinterested most times. He reminds me a lot of Tony Sheridan. If you asked whould I prefer to have Jason Purcell, Brendan Hughes, Oran Weldrick or John Whyte in my squad for the season then Purcell, for all his talent would be last on that particular list.

I hardly rated Anthony Tobin I have to say. He was a journey man striker for me. I would welcome him back into the squad now of course becasue I think we are short up front and rely on O'Flynn too much. I am just sorry that Derek McCarthy isn't alongside O'Flynn - I think the goals really would flow then.

BlueisBeautiful
18/12/2002, 2:26 PM
You got it wrong, dead wrong about those 2 lads (Purcell and Tobin). Less of the abusing of good past players. Move on to something else lads.

sadloserkid
18/12/2002, 2:30 PM
We're going to abuse current players and managers instead are we? Jason Purcell is a drifter. He doesn't have the commitment to play league football any more...

LFC in Exile
18/12/2002, 2:44 PM
Lads, lets give it up. I don't think we disagree too much and anyway isn't that what being a fan is all about. I can speak for myself (but I think) SLK would agree that we weren't abusing Purcell and Tobin, in fact we both agreed that he was a fine player. Anyway, there are bigger issues at the club than these academic ones. :(

lims fan
23/12/2002, 1:44 PM
What is your problem slk? This guy breaks his back for us week in week out. Limerick FC is the least glamourous club in Ireland yet he is sticking with us and for what - a whopping €200 per week - we have not won 1 single game without him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Why can't you emphasise the true picture of Barry Ryan, Foley, Mannering etc being complete sticks up front. They are lumps of lard. Get real slk and applaud the guy who brought grit, quality and goals to the limerick team.
Do you want him to leave or what?

deise deserter
23/12/2002, 9:06 PM
Jesus, after reading all of your posts on the other messageboard I was wondering when I would meet the (in)famous LimsFan on this board!

I have to say that I agree with some of what you are saying Lims. O'Flynn is a good player and has contributed to the team. His performance lately however, has been lacking - he doesn't seem to have his heart in it anymore.

The fact that Waterford will be going to the premiers next year, and that their manager has made time to come and see O'Flynn, coinciding with his apparent "lack-of-form" and what can only be described as whining on the field seems to show where he sees his future.

SLK's language was strong, calling him a "mercenary" but it was also appropriate - I agree with him completely.

BlueisBeautiful
24/12/2002, 5:13 PM
Lads, the first decent goalscorer we've had in years and ye call him allsorts. This mentality is baffling, do ye want to go up or what?

sadloserkid
24/12/2002, 7:15 PM
Stephen O'Flynn is going to leave Mark, because he doesn't give a fu€k about the club. You could offer the guy great s€x and he still wouldn't stick around next season because he has no interest in Limerick FC. He's a fine player, I'm not disputing that he was our best player for the first half of the season. But his mind has been made up for at least 6 weeks now - he wants no part of you or our club. I know you'll be disappointed to see him go but if he doesn't want to stay then get over it. You can quote all your 'trustworthy sources' in relation to Derek McCarthy but from what I'm hearing O'Flynn has made his mind up. And his future is well away from Limerick.

gael353
25/12/2002, 1:51 PM
Bubbles second stint with limerick was crap he was finished and this is what SLK saw of him as he didnt see the original bubbles. Jason Purcell...where do i begin, a ****ing mercenry to the core the first to walk on limerick when money got tight no doubting his potential but one day jsut to show u he gota coal against cobh one one i think was the result he was almost embarrased to have scored, cos he didtn give a toss. Stev O'Flynn has being playing ****e since Waterford showed an interest. We have had very few skillfull hard working forwards in the last few years. Howie King, Paddy Doyle, Bubbles were all big useles at best forwards. Give me back a young Barry Ryan, a start of the season Steven O'Flynn, last years Dereck McCarthy, a pre england Tommy Gaynor, or how bout a goal machines like Tommy Fitzgerald and Tony Izzi.

LFC Blue
20/01/2003, 1:45 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by LFC in Exile
[B]

"""""I think the current squad is one of the best we've had in a decade.""""""

I started this thread a couple of months back and i still maintain my views after watching us against cobh and kilkenny.LFC in Exile to say the current side is the best in a decade is some insult to the teams of the 90's.Simple fact the current side and manager are brutal.
P W D L F A PTS
21 6 5 10 26 35 23
2 points above re-election what more do i need to support my argument.

LFC in Exile
20/01/2003, 4:29 PM
I am as disappointed with yesterday's result and performance as you are, and with the final league position.

I do think the players in the current squad compare favourably with th eteams over the last decade. Bono said "We glorify the past when the future dries up" - don't overestimate the teams of the past. Since Sam Allardyce left the Limerick teams have been very poor. Of course I can point to some players of the 90s that are better than the current crop. And a ridiculous amount of stuff could be poste dhere saying that for example Anthony Tobin is better than Ciaran Foley so the past squads are better. As a group of players I think we currently have rich pickings. e.g. O'Flynn, Finucane, Purcell, John Whyte, Weldrick, Heffernan, Mannering, Fyffe. Unfortunately there are too few of them. In the 90s there were good players e.g Ray O'Halloran who I believe was the absolutely outstanding Limerick player of the last 20 years, but as a squad I do think the current crop are good. Remember that Gareth Ryan played throughout the 90s :)

That there is a closeness between each team in the division is not as you say a sign of the dearth of the division but a sign of better competition. There are better players in the division than in the past. There is still a large gulf between Premier and 1st but the competition in first is much tougher. For evidence look at Dundalk's performance this year when all they thought they had to do was show up to get right back to the premier.

The obvious question then is why do Limerick consistently underachieve? To blame the current manager is unfair I believe. Certainly his record is comparable to every manager since Allardyce. O'Connor has certainly made a lot of mistakes this season, but Tommy Lunch and Billy Kinnane were equally . I think a lot has to go to the sense of low expectation around the club e.g. the atmosphere yesterday, the lack of belief, the apathy of the city. I think the current committee have done some good, but need help. For example, throughout the 90s (which weren't that good) I had to wear a reading FC scarf to support my team. Merchandising was laughed at. That is now there. The club was robbed blind by some. I don't have any answers, but this is abigger problem than just O'Connor. I would not be in favour of O'Connor being replaced by any previous manager (except either Eoin Hand or Sam Allardyce).

BlueisBeautiful
20/01/2003, 6:12 PM
....Ray O'Halloran would be ideal for the job!

€735 overall collected for the flags officially!
Limsfan In the process of ordering them as we breathe. YaHOO!!!

LFC in Exile
21/01/2003, 12:50 PM
Couldn't agree more.