PDA

View Full Version : Final Score 3-0

James
11/07/2001, 9:40 PM
Boez look like they are on there way through to the next round
a convincing 3-0 win and they haven't conceeded any away goal

RedReb
11/07/2001, 9:57 PM
Well done. Didnt see anything on the news at nine. RTE TOSSERS.

Neil
12/07/2001, 1:12 AM
Bohemians have comfortably defeated Estonian champions Levadia Maardu 3-0 in the first leg of the Champions League qualifying round. A goal from centre-half Shaun Maher and a Glen Crowe double strike were enough to ensure victory over a poor Maardu side.

The Gypsies got off to a flying start when Maher powered in Paul Byrne's deep cross past Ernest Martinsons in the Maardu goal after only one minute. Bohs added to their lead after ten minutes, when another inviting Byrne cross was met by Crowe, who made no mistake with his header. Maardu posed little threat in the first half, and their one chance, a fierce Aleksandr Tatarinov volley, was easily gathered by Bohs keeper Wayne Russell.

Tatarinov turned villain after ten minutes in the second half, when he clumsily fouled Mark Rutherford in the penalty area. Last season's top scorer Crowe stepped up and coolly slotted the spot kick low past Martinsons' right. Vitali Leitan had a great chance to pull back an undeserved away-goal for the visitors, but blazed over from only six yards after 65 minutes.

Bohemians boss Pete Mahon paid tribute to his players after this evening's impressive win. "To win 3-0 was absolutely fantastic. I always said football is about players and that's what it was about tonight. I don't think we could improve much on that game," he said.

Despite the margin of victory, he insisted that Bohs could have got more from the game. "We missed some great chances. Glen Crowe should have scored a third, though if he had gone down it would definitely have been a penalty," he said.

Mahon was pleased with his team's clean sheet. "Not conceding an away goal was crucial. But it's only half time. We have to do the same again," he said.

Bohemians will play the return leg on July 18 in the National Stadium in Kabriorg, Talinn.

EddieL
12/07/2001, 2:38 AM
Well done,Bohs! I always felt you had the beating of the Latvians at home,but it was imperative that you won by at least three goals and not concede the away goal and you did that.As Pete Mahon said,it's only half-time so you can't count your chickens yet with the away leg still to come,but they have to come at you then and you could well nick a goal.Once again,a good night's work and congratulations,you've done Irish football proud!!!!

Pauro 76
12/07/2001, 9:02 AM
Well done lads, your giving Irish football a good name in Europe, hopefully we can do as well against the Bulgarains... hope ye do the business in the replay...

Macy
12/07/2001, 10:41 AM
Yeah well done Bowez, but the atmos was dire - it was like a super cup game. The lack of vocal support was unbelievable....

pete
12/07/2001, 10:57 AM
But virtually no chants or anything from the Bohs faithful expect a few "**** the scum" type ones near the end

The Estibians were very poor (although conceding 2 goals in 10mins at the start doesn't help) & Bohs didn't show much mercy. I thought Hunt & Caffrey were the crucial players stealing the ball off the opposition anytime they tried to counter.

I think Bohs may even win the away leg too as i'm sure they won't hold back in the knowledge just 1 away goal & the tie is definitely over. Maybe 2-1 to Bohs in away leg.