PDA

View Full Version : Fixtures Speculation Thread

Pages : [1] 2

Ebmania
15/02/2007, 8:40 AM
The independent said that Shels are drawn against Rovers first game. Also said there is a series of dublin derbies(Hopefully Pats against Bohs). Waterford will play instead of Shels if they go down. Confirmation on Friday cant wait.

http://www.unison.ie/uselect/?a=faq

Danny
15/02/2007, 8:43 AM
from Unison

Fixture list

Originally, the FAI were due to release the fixture list for the new
domestic campaign tomorrow but cannot do so until Shels' situation is
clarified.

The Irish Independent has learned that the first week of the new
season will feature a series of local derbies with Shamrock Rovers the
intended opponents of Shels.

However, if Shels are demoted then Waterford will take their place in
the top flight which would scupper plans to welcome Wexford Youths to
the league with a Division One clash with their Suirside neighbours.

-------------
that'd probably mean

shels v rovers,
pats v bohs,
bray v ucd,
galway v sligo,
cork v longford,
derry v drogs

blackholesun
15/02/2007, 8:46 AM
well if Shels go down they'll be playing Wexford, the past of the LOI against the future ... newboys against reiging champions, I am sure Dolan would relish the chance to turn them over ...

bhs

Rory H
15/02/2007, 8:49 AM
looking at the fixtures rumoured it would be one hell of an opening weekend!

dcfcsteve
15/02/2007, 9:44 AM
looking at the fixtures rumoured it would be one hell of an opening weekend!

Was thinking that myself WR ! Looks like the FAI have put some thought into it for a change.

Cracking opening weekend if it happens. Derry v Drogs first game !? Feck - can't we have an easere one to begin with, sir.....? :(

mypost
15/02/2007, 9:44 AM
This whole fixture list "leak", reminds me of the whole Ireland playing in Boston rumour for USA '94. To the media, the whole thing was apparantly rigged before the draw. :rolleyes:

So we ended up playing in New York, and Orlando of course instead. :D

In any event, it leaves us none the wiser as to we will actually play first. We may have to wait a while longer to find out, as even if Shels miracoulously stay up, how will they get a squad in time for ko??

Btw, how are Cork-Longford, Galway-Sligo, and Derry-Drogs, supposed to be local derbies, when there's hundreds of miles between them?? :confused:

Poor Student
15/02/2007, 9:55 AM
It reminds me of the old derby day in Scotland. You could pair together the Glasgow, Edinburgh and Dundee clubs and then you'd have to scrape together half assed "derbies" with the remaining clubs.

MyTown
15/02/2007, 10:05 AM
Btw, how are Cork-Longford, Galway-Sligo, and Derry-Drogs, supposed to be local derbies, when there's hundreds of miles between them?? :confused:

Galway to Sligo is 84 miles one way or 135km - hardly hundreds - and if you ever get to a Galway v Sligo soccer match you'll be in no doubt about its status as a derby. Only when there's a huge gap in the respective form of either side does the atmosphere calm down.

dcfcsteve
15/02/2007, 10:33 AM

A bit picky MP. City's neaerest club are Sligo, so we have no premier derby. An opening game against Drogs, however, would be a great start to the league - 2 good sides from last season with a lot of making good to be done. Drogs were our bogey team last year, and if we had played them when we were supposed to earlier in the season we'd probably ahve won the league...!

Galway v Sligo is about as good a derby as those clubs can get.

Agree that Cork v Longford isn't a derby at all, but everyone's gotta play someone....

BohsPartisan
15/02/2007, 10:56 AM
An opening game against Drogs, however, would be a great start to the league - 2 good sides from last season with a lot of making good to be done.

Agreed.
If they are to be the fixtures its a finger licking good start to the season.

mypost
15/02/2007, 12:03 PM
Galway to Sligo is 84 miles one way or 135km - hardly hundreds - and if you ever get to a Galway v Sligo soccer match you'll be in no doubt about its status as a derby.

135 kms is about roughly the same distance as Dublin-Kilkenny/Waterford, and they're not derbies. I've seen signposts saying the distance from Galway-Sligo is 170kms+. :confused: Longford would be the nearest team to Galway and Sligo, imo.

Personally, I'm more interested in our run-in, than the first match. Considering we've been away in the last game for the past 3 seasons, I'm praying for the last game at home. :cool:

Terry
15/02/2007, 12:08 PM
galway and sligo are the only 2 clubs in senior football from connaught, thats why it would be classed as a derby, and yes you are correct longford is closer to us.

Patrick Dunne
15/02/2007, 12:11 PM
Sligo are a huge club, they don't regard us as rivals. :rolleyes:

Surely Longford could be paired off with UCD, or some other Dublin outfit ?

pete
15/02/2007, 12:24 PM
I think need to start the league with a few attractive fixtures so sounds like a good decision. It makes the first tv game a bit more attractive too.

Surely would make more sense to have Bohs v Rovers & Pats v Shels. Also Derry v Sligo. Drogs v Longford, Bray v UCD & Galway v Cork City.

corbyeire
15/02/2007, 2:50 PM
think most of us in galway would like an early bout with rovers - sligo that is, than cork

not saying that a first game against cork would not be a cracking tie in its own right

Réiteoir
15/02/2007, 7:03 PM
tbh - if this is true - then Derry - Drogs to be a perfect game to open up the League's Live TV coverage with

pete
15/02/2007, 7:39 PM
tbh - if this is true - then Derry - Drogs to be a perfect game to open up the League's Live TV coverage with

Thats all we need another Drogs 0-0 hoofball contest on live tv.

:(

harry crumb
15/02/2007, 7:47 PM
Drogs and Derry would be a great game to open the league.

Neither team are hoofball.

holidaysong
15/02/2007, 8:29 PM
If Derry play half as bad as they did against us last week then Drogheda will whip them. Fenlon has a lot of work to do before the Setanta Cup starts!

Aaron
15/02/2007, 8:30 PM
If Derry play half as bad as they did against us last week then Drogheda will whip them. Fenlon has a lot of work to do before the Setanta Cup starts!

Am a 1-1 draw with Dynamo Moscow is a massive improvement, and we'll be more than ready for the Setanta Cup. BTW Greg O'Halloran is on trial with us at the minute

holidaysong
15/02/2007, 8:33 PM
Who played in goals for you against Dynamo?

Dazzy
15/02/2007, 8:37 PM
Who played in goals for you against Dynamo?

Delaney, Deery scored a rocket from reports.

holidaysong
15/02/2007, 8:39 PM
Anyway - back on topic - Our first game of the season will be at home but don't know who it will be against yet obviously. I suppose it will be Monaghan if the derby theme is extended to the first division. It will be our 2,000th league game by the way.

Battery Rover
15/02/2007, 9:32 PM
Anyway - back on topic - Our first game of the season will be at home but don't know who it will be against yet obviously. I suppose it will be Monaghan if the derby theme is extended to the first division. It will be our 2,000th league game by the way.

Wonder who ours will be then. Kildare probably but if it is Harps away again then I hope it doesnt get called of like last year when we got to Ballybofey

sligoman
15/02/2007, 9:46 PM
The only connection between a derby for us Vs. Galway is that we're both in Connacht. Finn Harps are our rivals, Galway are not. As for the Galway fan who said that you only have to go to a Rovers/Galway game to see how it's a rivalry...:D

ndrog
15/02/2007, 9:56 PM

:(
classic langer speak .Didnt expect much else tbh .

gustavo
16/02/2007, 10:01 AM
The only connection between a derby for us Vs. Galway is that we're both in Connacht. Finn Harps are our rivals, Galway are not. As for the Galway fan who said that you only have to go to a Rovers/Galway game to see how it's a rivalry...:D

Dont know if Harps would truly be considered our rivals , They would consider Derry City as being their rivals.

harpskid
16/02/2007, 10:05 AM
Dont know if Harps would truly be considered our rivals , They would consider Derry City as being their rivals.

True - Harps V Sligo is no comparison to Harps V Derry

Dazzy
16/02/2007, 10:11 AM
True - Harps V Sligo is no comparison to Harps V Derry

Always a good game.

OneRedArmy
16/02/2007, 10:57 AM

:(I must have missed Cork's free-wheeling attack-oriented team last season.

gufc4life
16/02/2007, 2:23 PM
does anyone know when there coming out im tired waiting :mad:

Bray Head
16/02/2007, 3:02 PM
I'd imagine that Tuesday will be the earliest that they will be out as the Shels situation won't be sorted until Monday evening at the earliest. Every season the fixtures are coming out later and later. Season kick off is only 3 weeks away and still no fixtures.

CharlesThompson
16/02/2007, 3:19 PM
No matter what their reasons are relating to the fixtures, there are so many other examples of incompetence within the administration of this league that one would have to consider where these administrators are coming from.

I had this conversation yesterday evening with a friend and my own appraisal of the situation is that the eL/FAI couldn't give a flying fúck about the supporters of the league. With numbers ranging anywhere between 20,000 or 25,000 attending per week we are not exactly the biggest support base in the country however as we are so few you would think that the powers that be would be doing their utmost to encourage us to stay as well as market the league to new faces.

The bottom line is that the fixture list should have been published by the end of last November to allow for clubs to organise things like team calendars for the news season, diary's and other such marketable paraphenalia (sp?). Shelbournes screw up should be a side issue and not holding up every other club from planning the season ahead. But more importantly, the fixtures should be available well in advance of the season so that we - the supporters - can organise such important things like time off work, family holidays, budgets, etc. that allow us the best opportunity to support our clubs as much as possible during the season.

Alas, the eL/FAI see fit instead to p!ss all over us and treat us with nothing short of contempt.

passerrby
16/02/2007, 3:29 PM
fixture are ready i believe but the first instance committe are fudging the issue (i have visions of a scene from monthy python type meeting)

gufc4life
16/02/2007, 3:33 PM
No matter what their reasons are relating to the fixtures, there are so many other examples of incompetence within the administration of this league that one would have to consider where these administrators are coming from.

I had this conversation yesterday evening with a friend and my own appraisal of the situation is that the eL/FAI couldn't give a flying fúck about the supporters of the league. With numbers ranging anywhere between 20,000 or 25,000 attending per week we are not exactly the biggest support base in the country however as we are so few you would think that the powers that be would be doing their utmost to encourage us to stay as well as market the league to new faces.

The bottom line is that the fixture list should have been published by the end of last November to allow for clubs to organise things like team calendars for the news season, diary's and other such marketable paraphenalia (sp?). Shelbournes screw up should be a side issue and not holding up every other club from planning the season ahead. But more importantly, the fixtures should be available well in advance of the season so that we - the supporters - can organise such important things like time off work, family holidays, budgets, etc. that allow us the best opportunity to support our clubs as much as possible during the season.

Alas, the eL/FAI see fit instead to p!ss all over us and treat us with nothing short of contempt.
uve summed it all up clubds ave fixtures list and calanders and things ta print soo why are they taking so long if u ask me its a complete and utter joke the way their making us wait so long !!!!

passerrby
16/02/2007, 3:44 PM
what if ollie does not except any dicision and goes to the high court will that mean an even longer delay

Higgo
16/02/2007, 5:16 PM

Agree 100%...and I'm a Shels supporter. It's a farce that no fixtures have been released yet. Yes the FAI have been busy with other issues, but that's not an excuse for the way these jokers have consistently treated clubs and their fans with contempt. I know it's a cliche, but they really are a shower of useless b*******.

geezer
17/02/2007, 9:55 AM
all this was going to change. its the same shower runnin the league all over again

passerrby
17/02/2007, 10:28 AM
let me tell you the board of management never ran the el it was always run by the fai, the only difference was they used to be accountable to the clubs now they are not.

pineapple stu
17/02/2007, 12:21 PM
Word is Pat's v Derry first match.

Time will tell if I'm right!

Cosmo
17/02/2007, 12:38 PM
I must have missed Cork's free-wheeling attack-oriented team last season.

I think all eircom league supporters must've missed that :eek:

though with their squad next season they're sure to be a force to be reckoned with :rolleyes:

btw personally hoping for our first match to be at home to bohs - always crackers :)

Dr.Nightdub
17/02/2007, 12:56 PM
Word is Pat's v Derry first match.

Oooh, I'd take that! Not that I'm still sore about the Cup final or anything, oh no, not in the least...

There used to be a President's Cup donkey's years ago where the League winners would play the Cup winners. With the Setanta in progress, it wouldn't make sense to revive it, but having that as the first fixture of the season should be a good crowd-puller.

I know Derry didn't win the League and we didn't win the Cup but in the absence of Shels (whether complete or just as a Premier team), it'd be as close as we could get.

pineapple stu
17/02/2007, 1:04 PM
Duno how true it is, mind - I think it's the basis for the Pat's radio ad being made. So it could just as easily be your second game, but your first home game.

Dave drummerboy
17/02/2007, 1:35 PM
Its a farce

1 9 2 8
17/02/2007, 2:46 PM
I wish they would hurry up so I can plan my summer holidays

BohsPartisan
17/02/2007, 3:59 PM
There used to be a President's Cup donkey's years ago where the League winners would play the Cup winners.

Was that not only for Leinster teams?
Its not that long ago either. I remember Bohs playing Shels at Dalyer (we won on penalties if my memory serves me) at the start of the 2000/01 season.

pete
17/02/2007, 4:17 PM
Was that not only for Leinster teams?

Possibly just for Dublin team even. Never remember a team from outside Leinster playing in. Did Dundalk play in?

Conor H
17/02/2007, 5:07 PM
GUFC's 1st 2 Games.

Sligo(home)
Cork(away)

Spreading like wildfire around here anybody else hear anything?

Must stress these are just really strong rumours.But i've been told their official

sligoman
17/02/2007, 5:11 PM
http://foot.ie/showthread.php?t=53081

fc hammer
18/02/2007, 12:31 AM
GUFC's 1st 2 Games.

Sligo(home)
Cork(away)

Spreading like wildfire around here anybody else hear anything?

Must stress these are just really strong rumours.But i've been told their official
Ya just heard the same, Limerick v Shels .. Can't wait !:D