PDA

View Full Version : Neon Bible

Billy Lord
14/02/2007, 11:41 PM
Got my paws on a press copy yesterday. Very much a curate's egg judging by initial listening. In terms of production values and musical dexterity it's a vast improvement on Funeral, but the tunes and riffs aren't as strong.
Musically they've progressed but it's all about the mix of tension and melody with this band and it's not as intense and immediate as it was first time around with Funeral. It's less anthemic and more come-all-ya. As an old hand I hear Echo & the Bunnymen and early Bruce Springsteen, whereas Funeral was more Talking Heads' 2nd album meets the Waterboys. Plusses and minusses abound.
But if this is Arcade Fire's 'With The Beatles' on the back of Funeral's 'Please Please Me' they're doing fine. Next up is their 'A Hard Day's Night'. And that's the real test. Bottom line: it's good to see a great band progress, but I believe they can do better. Can't wait to see them in the Olympia. B+

Risteard
15/02/2007, 1:10 AM
Thread title change to new Arcade Fire album could be more helpful.;)
Got my paws on a press copy yesterday.
Very jealous.
It is those powerful riffs that draw me to Arcade Fire though.
Didn't hear much of it in the EP but they've bought their loyalty and i'll be buying this regardless.

Pauro 76
15/02/2007, 7:54 AM
Downloaded it last night, and can't wait to hear it! It'll be a hell of an effort to top Funeral.

RogerMilla
15/02/2007, 8:14 AM
not as good as funeral but stand alone its excellent !
i also got a hold of the White session , brilliant too.

Dublin12
16/02/2007, 11:34 AM
Overhyped and overrated,don't like it,then again I don't like the latest rock opera effort from Muse either and alot seem to love that,so each to his own,judge for yourself.

jebus
05/03/2007, 12:21 PM
give it time lads, got my hands on a press copy about 3 weeks ago, thought it was good, not great at first but it's really growing on me

shakermaker1982
05/03/2007, 5:06 PM
just putting it on my ipod now. Expecting big things.....hopefully something as good as rebellion(lies) is on it!!!

WeAreRovers
06/03/2007, 10:17 AM
Brilliant gig last night, they played quite a big chunk of Funeral and the Neon Bible stuff sounded great too.

KOH

Risteard
06/03/2007, 1:08 PM
Where was that WAR?

shakermaker1982
06/03/2007, 1:13 PM
Overhyped and overrated,don't like it,then again I don't like the latest rock opera effort from Muse either and alot seem to love that,so each to his own,judge for yourself.

I'd agree with you on Muse, every time I fall for the reviews and hype and end up going "what?!"

WeAreRovers
06/03/2007, 1:25 PM
Where was that WAR?

Olympia, playing tonight as well. Sold out of course.

KOH

Beavis
06/03/2007, 1:56 PM
I've been listening to it non-stop for the last few days and early judgement is that its quality but agree that it probably doesnt reach the highs of Funeral.

I dont think they should have put No Cars Go on it either, ithe original was already classic in its own right.

Billsthoughts
10/03/2007, 2:31 PM
have to say i thought funeral was over rated- it just didnt do it for me at all.....am really enjoying the new album tho....

Schumi
10/03/2007, 4:25 PM
I loved Funeral. This isn't as good but I've only been listening to it for a couple of days, I expect it to grow on me.

stann
10/03/2007, 9:20 PM
Got it today and it's patchy to say the least. Seems like a grower though, so expect to love it in fairly short order. Funeral it ain't mind.
What the hell is with the flip books though????

Risteard
11/03/2007, 9:22 PM
That's a star-rating out of five there, not saying that the album is a pile of ****e.

Red4Eva
11/03/2007, 9:29 PM
just after gettin it on itunes. 8 songs into it and don't think it's as good as funeral but i'll give it time

shakermaker1982
12/03/2007, 9:22 AM
tis a grower, starting to appeal more to my ears now.

superfrank
02/04/2007, 1:12 PM
Only got around to buying it yesterday.

I like it. I think in time I'll grow to like it more. I wasn't mad about Funeral at first but now I love it. It feels darker then Funeral (and that's saying something) I like the addition of the organ, especially on Intervention. That is a great song.

If it hadn't been for me buying the new Nas album and loving that to death, I think I could grow to like this a bit more.

Martinho II
05/04/2007, 5:52 PM
from listenin to both arcade fire albums the first album has the better songs. the second album a lot different it might just grow on me!

tetsujin1979
08/04/2007, 12:38 AM
Got it about 3 weeks ago, thought it was alright and didn't listen to it again. Until thursday, and I've listened to it every day since, the opening track is a bit weak, but other than that the album is fantastic

MojoPin
30/04/2007, 6:11 PM
just got it is it any good?

better than funeral?

jebus
30/04/2007, 6:54 PM
bumped to the top for mojopin

just bumped a thread we had on it for you mojopin

MojoPin
30/04/2007, 9:27 PM
thanks for that i did a quick look but couldnt find it... thanks jebus

Risteard
22/06/2007, 2:25 PM
That Black Mirror is a scary song.
Found this clip (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-5XK-2Ufd4&mode=related&search=) of them warming up for a gig in Paris' Olympia and making their entrance.
Talented band.