PDA

View Full Version : Vs Wales: Lets create a sea of green

PhatPat
12/02/2007, 11:06 AM
Though there was a cracking atmosphere at the rugby yesterday one dissapointing aspect was the lack of green in the stands - it certainly resulted in the pictures not matching the sound of the occasion.

I reckon we can put the rugger heads to shame when we invade croker and part of that must be to make sure that, at a minimum, everyone turns up in (Green) Ireland strips complete with scarves.

I know theres a lot of negativity about at the moment (and rightly so) but there should be more on this board about putting our best foot forward for Irish soccer - somebody has to.

Not Brazil
12/02/2007, 11:11 AM
Good luck.

http://www.seaofgreen.org.uk

:cool:

shakermaker1982
12/02/2007, 11:39 AM
I'm sure the Chelski fans will be wearing their blue kits to show Roman his influence has spread west........

Sumac
12/02/2007, 12:40 PM
I agree that the atmoshphere yesterday sounded electric but definately lacked some colour - Compare to Cardiff when Ireland played there with all the red with small pockets of Green.
A jersey or green tee shirt with a scarf if possible is not much to ask - A sea of green in croke park would be spectacular

PhatPat
12/02/2007, 1:39 PM
Ahem...its a fair cop guv, copyright infringement noted.

SuperDave
12/02/2007, 2:05 PM
get in touch with the fai and ask them to spend circa 10c on a bit of green card for every seat. Or else hand out green card outside the ground.

Hell, the fai could even slip a bit of card into every programme. sure they get €5 for them anyway (although, lets face it, they'll probably be more expensive in croker)

green army
12/02/2007, 3:14 PM
they should give out flags like in stuttgart last september.

soccerc
12/02/2007, 3:27 PM
Good luck.

http://www.seaofgreen.org.uk

:cool:

Then again you picked up on our 2003 and 2004 efforts ;) and don't forget some of your collegues sought direction on how to proceed.

Fortress Lansdowne - 03 June 2003

"We want to turn Lansdowne Road into a sea of green with a fever-pitch atmosphere," Mr. Fran Rooney, CEO of the FAI, said today.

Mr. Rooney was speaking at a Press Conference where he outlined details of the FAI's plans to help the fans bring more atmosphere, colour and noise to Ireland's home venue.

"We have met with fans from 16 eircom League clubs since my appointment and we are delighted with their reaction," Mr. Rooney said. "We want to plug into the tremendous enthusiasm of these fans to raise the temperature for the international matches," he said.

"Like most eircom League fans, I've experienced the colour and noise which now exists at domestic matches every week and the challenge now is to actively help these supporters to create a fever-pitch atmosphere at Lansdowne Road," he added.

"We've made the fans' involvement one of our top priorities and I'm confident that we can, over time, elevate the already strong Lansdowne Road match day experience to a new level where visiting teams will genuinely notice the difference. Brian Kerr and the players want more nose and more colour and we will start to create this on Saturday," Mr. Rooney said.

"We've spoken with Brian and his staff, the players, the supporters and the authorities in bringing together our various ideas and everyone recognises that the fans can be the extra player which can make the difference on the pitch," he added.

Mr. Rooney outlined a number of short and long term initiatives which the FAI plans for future home international matches.

For the upcoming two Euro Championship games the FAI will :

· Make available over 1,200 North Terrace tickets for eircom League supporters
· Provide 22 large Ireland tricolours, one for each of the eircom League supporters' clubs
· Distribute 50 extra Ireland flags to eircom League supporters
· Provide 36,000 green card (one on each seat) to help generate more colour
· Unfurl Ireland's largest tricolour, a 3-piece flag presented to the FAI by the City of Izumo at last year's World Cup, measuring 114' X 60'
. Provide a new programme of music prior to and at half time in the game, co-ordinated with the fans

'Special Scarf Days'

The FAI is asking fans to make an extra effort at these two games including :

· Make the next two games special 'scarf days'
· Come to the ground early to get the chanting and drumming started
· Wear everything possible green to help turn Lansdowne Road into a unique sea of green
· Join in the singing, chanting and drumming

Special arrangements are also being made to allow a number of eircom League super-size banners into the stadium

'Fans' Forum'

Mr. Rooney emphasised that the task of building on the already very strong home support was one which would pay dividends in the long term. He said the initiatives for the next two matches were very important in the quest for Euro 2004 qualification but recognised that the process of turning Lansdowne Road into a real fortress would take time.

He said for the future the FAI will

· Generate greater contact between eircom League fans and the FAI
· Establish a 'fans forum' to actively involve the fans in the Association's plans for supporters and to air their views on an ongoing basis
· Seek to develop the fans' club to maximise all the areas of support for all our international teams
· Commit to examining ticket allocation to increase availability for fans who support football at home
· Allocate certain locations in the ground for eircom League fans
· Work with the fans to create a fans' band
· Work with interested sponsors to support fans' participation on match days
· Aim to create a better experience for everyone involved on match days.

tetsujin1979
12/02/2007, 4:08 PM
He said for the future the FAI will

· Generate greater contact between eircom League fans and the FAIMost fans feel more disconnected than ever

· Establish a 'fans forum' to actively involve the fans in the Association's plans for supporters and to air their views on an ongoing basisNone that I'm aware of

· Seek to develop the fans' club to maximise all the areas of support for all our international teams Anyone ever hear back from the IrelandFans section on fai.ie?

· Commit to examining ticket allocation to increase availability for fans who support football at home Nope

· Allocate certain locations in the ground for eircom League fans Done away with?

· Work with the fans to create a fans' band Don't make me laugh

· Work with interested sponsors to support fans' participation on match days Erm, giant balls with legs, and some women sponsored by Heineken? Nothing else comes to mind.

· Aim to create a better experience for everyone involved on match days.And nope again

I'm sure they had good intentions when they made this statement. Unfortunately those same intentions are now paving the road to hell.

PhatPat
12/02/2007, 4:09 PM
Nostalgia for the rooney days...sorry times indeeed:D . I wasent calling for any 'shake a shamrock' malarkey - just a need to build some momentum on this site for an effort to make the most of croker. I'm sure the FAI will be doing something cringeworthy with the usual dublin city ramblers soundtrack but if we got something going those lads at the Star fanzine might pick up on it or something (Btw their 'no bars in san marino' advice was a tad wide of the mark - I've the bruises/blackouts to prove it.)

reder
12/02/2007, 5:19 PM
I have never worn any colours to an ireland football match in my life nor will I. There is nothing as sad as a grown adult dressed like an idiot in a green jersey with a jester hat.

Dressed casual, standing and singing your heart out for 90 mins is the only way as far as im concerned.

As for green cards, card mosaics are silly unless there is an appropriate motive. By that I mean a mosaic for the canal end set up by the fans saying "Delaney out" is appropriate at this moment and time.

One more thing, EL fans did get a section of tickets in the last few years. I know a few guys who get their tickets through it.

theleprechaun
12/02/2007, 5:43 PM
I have never worn any colours to an ireland football match in my life nor will I. There is nothing as sad as a grown adult dressed like an idiot in a green jersey with a jester hat.

Dressed casual, standing and singing your heart out for 90 mins is the only way as far as im concerned.

toatlly disagree. it's the leprechaun suit for me

soccerc
12/02/2007, 5:47 PM
Most fans feel more disconnected than ever
None that I'm aware of
Anyone ever hear back from the IrelandFans section on fai.ie?
Nope
Done away with?
Don't make me laugh
Erm, giant balls with legs, and some women sponsored by Heineken? Nothing else comes to mind.
And nope again

I'm sure they had good intentions when they made this statement. Unfortunately those same intentions are now paving the road to hell.

Very selective there tets but I did say 2003/2004.

Everything outlined in the original press statement happened but it all came to a halt after the Cyprus home game and the France away tie in autumn 2004..

Just becasue you were not aware of what was happening around you doesn't mean it didn't happen.

Where do you think your ticket for recent games came from?

Not Brazil
12/02/2007, 6:02 PM
Then again you picked up on our 2003 and 2004 efforts ;) and don't forget some of your collegues sought direction on how to proceed.

;)

The boys done good.

Dazzy
12/02/2007, 7:15 PM
http://www.tifo.it/ce/prodotti.php3?foto=546DQ2L.jpg

Get a lot of them for the Canal End.

Larks
13/02/2007, 7:13 PM
I disagree with wearing just casual wear . No harm in wearing an Ireland jersey. But as for flags like in stuttgart, its the game we are there to see, if you want everyone to have flags just go support Ireland in the eurovision:rolleyes:

Babysis
13/02/2007, 7:28 PM
I think any moves to try and gerate atmosphere at the game is a good thing.
But you will never get everyone in agreement, nor will they all join in sadly! :mad:

The green cards at Lansdowne didnt really do much (although I got mine signed by Paul McGrath so I think they were great;) )

As for the whole colours v casuals debate - Does it really matter?
I usually go to games wearing colours but Ive gone in casuals too -
As far as Im concerned people can wear what they want, it doesnt stop you making some noise! :)

citizenerased
14/02/2007, 11:41 PM
The only essential in my eyes is to bring ur singin voices...

SuperDave
15/02/2007, 1:41 PM
I think any moves to try and gerate atmosphere at the game is a good thing.
But you will never get everyone in agreement, nor will they all join in sadly! :mad:

The green cards at Lansdowne didnt really do much (although I got mine signed by Paul McGrath so I think they were great;) )

As for the whole colours v casuals debate - Does it really matter?
I usually go to games wearing colours but Ive gone in casuals too -
As far as Im concerned people can wear what they want, it doesnt stop you making some noise! :)

If you were a player would you not be intimidated by playing the dutch in amsterdam or rotterdam, surrounded by an oranje wall?

Dutch fans (http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/41779000/jpg/_41779948_fans203afpstory.jpg)

More Dutch Fans (http://www.soccerphile.com/soccerphile/port2004/fans-photos/images/jim-crawley-3.jpg)

A Sea of Green would definitely intimidate. Though of course singing is not optional. A quiet wall of green would be much less intimidating than a screaming singing mass of irishmen.

Bluetonic
15/02/2007, 1:46 PM
If you were a player would you not be intimidated by playing the dutch in amsterdam or rotterdam, surrounded by an oranje wall?

Last time out we won 1-0 there :D

paul_oshea
15/02/2007, 2:58 PM
im assuming that george bush pic is a joke, though have him as a "supporter of the Dutch" would be intimidating...

SuperDave
15/02/2007, 5:10 PM
im assuming that george bush pic is a joke, though have him as a "supporter of the Dutch" would be intimidating...

:o

accident. meh. i'm not fixing it.

Babysis
15/02/2007, 6:02 PM

Dutch fans (http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/41779000/jpg/_41779948_fans203afpstory.jpg)

More Dutch Fans (http://www.soccerphile.com/soccerphile/port2004/fans-photos/images/jim-crawley-3.jpg)

A Sea of Green would definitely intimidate. Though of course singing is not optional. A quiet wall of green would be much less intimidating than a screaming singing mass of irishmen.

I totally see your point and I almost always go to games in colours. However I know people who for whatever reasons choose / refuse to or cant wear Ireland shirts to games. They can still help create a great atmosphere regardless - singing voices over colours for me:)

SuperDave
15/02/2007, 6:12 PM
I totally see your point and I almost always go to games in colours. However I know people who for whatever reasons choose / refuse to or cant wear Ireland shirts to games. They can still help create a great atmosphere regardless - singing voices over colours for me:)

Well I suppose that's true. San Marino away was my first away trip and my flatmate (who goes to every game with me) finally started singing. After years of attending home games (where I would sing and he would usually make a halfhearted attempt to) when we went to san marino he found his singing voice. Much better than colours if it's co-ordinated, but for pure spectacle you can't beat a wall of colour.

My problem would be the echo and the size of croke park. Once one side starts singing and the other tries to sing along, soon the whole place will have the song being sung about 5 seconds apart.

Babysis
15/02/2007, 7:00 PM
Well I suppose that's true. San Marino away was my first away trip and my flatmate (who goes to every game with me) finally started singing. After years of attending home games (where I would sing and he would usually make a halfhearted attempt to) when we went to san marino he found his singing voice. Much better than colours if it's co-ordinated, but for pure spectacle you can't beat a wall of colour.

My problem would be the echo and the size of croke park. Once one side starts singing and the other tries to sing along, soon the whole place will have the song being sung about 5 seconds apart.

To be honest I think most people would take the echo if it meant there was alot of singing:D . You cant make people join in, all you can hope is they will wise up to why they are at the game in the first place. Nothing worse than seeing people not bother at games, but it happens :mad: Fingers crossed for a good atmosphere.

Schumi
15/02/2007, 7:19 PM
That happens anyway and was no worse than Lansdowne at the rugby.

Green Tribe
18/02/2007, 12:07 PM
Have to agree I thought it was sh!te the lack of flags and effort/colour at the rugby game against France. I know it is not the most important thing but colour combined with the singing would really enhance the atmosphere and hopefully give the boys in green a good kick up the hole after San Marino.
No harm in trying.....
I think seeing as this will be the first time a lot of people abroad will have seen Croke Park, shouldn't we make an effort?

Torn-Ado
23/02/2007, 7:21 PM
If we could get the Cusack stand to hold green cards, the Canal End: white cards and the Hogan stand: orange cards when the team come out on the field.

Now that would be the Dogs ********.

Fubar
26/02/2007, 6:46 PM
[QUOTE=reder;622158]I have never worn any colours to an ireland football match in my life nor will I. There is nothing as sad as a grown adult dressed like an idiot in a green jersey with a jester hat.

sorry, completely disagree with you there mate. think it is a good support to the team.... nothing sad about wearing the jersey imo. also dont think a delany protest is going to help team morale....
Hes a disgrace yes but supporting the team through the good and the BAD should be the main priority and if i had tickets for the match i would proudly wear my jersey and scarf and sing to support the team and not shout out negitivity about something thats not gona change anyway.... :o

SuperDave
27/02/2007, 3:54 PM
sorry, completely disagree with you there mate. think it is a good support to the team.... nothing sad about wearing the jersey imo. also dont think a delany protest is going to help team morale....
Hes a disgrace yes but supporting the team through the good and the BAD should be the main priority and if i had tickets for the match i would proudly wear my jersey and scarf and sing to support the team and not shout out negitivity about something thats not gona change anyway.... :o

yeah i definitely agree with you but i would say that an end of game demonstration after an abject performance (ie booing) is slightly more acceptable than in game or pre game demonstrating, provided of course you support the team throughout the game.

Fubar
03/03/2007, 12:13 PM
i do concur!! :D