PDA

View Full Version : Is Wednesday DDay for Shels

Pages : [1] 2

gufct
12/02/2007, 10:31 AM
The league has to put this whole sorry issue to bed get out the fixtures and have the season launch in the next fortnight.

One way or the other they have to act and deal with Shels instead of fudging the issue again.

Dodge
12/02/2007, 10:48 AM
Oh there'll be fudging alright...

According to a poster on the Shels MB who seems to know more than most, they'll know their fate by Wednesday. No news yet on whther Ollie has agreed to the deal Fintan brokered.

gufct
12/02/2007, 10:49 AM
well if he doesnt id say its the end of the road for Shels as an el team and id say if he does the 1st division beckons.

Magicme
12/02/2007, 11:22 AM
League launch is 2nd of March but fixtures are due out by the end of this week so hopefully all will b sorted with Shels by then.

pete
12/02/2007, 12:15 PM
Its up to the league to impose a deadline on Shels & notify Shels of the conssequences of not meeting that.

The league fixtures can be done in advance with alternative slined up for the possible scenarios. Fixtures can then be released asap after decisions made.

If Shels appeal any decision they should be kicked out of the eL entirely with immediate effect.

mypost
12/02/2007, 2:19 PM
The league fixtures can be done in advance with alternative slined up for the possible scenarios. Fixtures can then be released asap after decisions made.

You can't draw up, or release a fixture list with conditions attached. Teams cannot be put in a situation where the week they are drawn to play Shels, they don't know if they will play them, or not. That's a farce, not a fixture list.

charliesboots
12/02/2007, 2:33 PM
You can't draw up, or release a fixture list with conditions attached. Teams cannot be put in a situation where the week they are drawn to play Shels, they don't know if they will play them, or not. That's a farce, not a fixture list.

That's what an asterix* is for!!

Dodge
12/02/2007, 2:51 PM
Sure everyone knows the fixtures will just be a reverse of last years. Its what you have to do when teams have odd number home and away games.

MyTown
12/02/2007, 3:02 PM
Sure everyone knows the fixtures will just be a reverse of last years. Its what you have to do when teams have odd number home and away games.

Thanks for that Dodge - As the appointed Foot.ie fixtures guru you're sending Mons to Galway on March 9th. - I'm sure they'll be delighted you've given them a Prem Licence:p

Magicme
12/02/2007, 3:16 PM
Thanks for that Dodge - As the appointed Foot.ie fixtures guru you're sending Mons to Galway on March 9th. - I'm sure they'll be delighted you've given them a Prem Licence:p

Yippeeee!!! :D

Dodge
12/02/2007, 3:42 PM
If I was giving them out they would have one...

Magicme
12/02/2007, 3:47 PM
Awww thanks Dodge.....and not just coz ur family is from here right???

Dodge
12/02/2007, 4:19 PM
Not just that. They've entered the Futsal. They have a fine little stand and clubhouse. And the fields behind the goals have the best potential for Curva Sud style terracing ever. Plus we got free chips there before.

Jaime
12/02/2007, 4:29 PM
No news yet on whther Ollie has agreed to the deal Fintan brokered.

Finbar?

mypost
12/02/2007, 4:46 PM

It's a brand new centralised league. The fixtures will not be the reverse of last year's.

SligoBrewer
12/02/2007, 5:08 PM
It's a brand new centralised league. The fixtures will not be the reverse of last year's.

cenralised?

i was looking forward to bohs away 2nd game of the season tbh..

DmanDmythDledge
12/02/2007, 5:54 PM
Sure everyone knows the fixtures will just be a reverse of last years.
When was the last time that happened (if ever)?

pól-dcfc
12/02/2007, 6:06 PM
When was the last time that happened (if ever)?

Last season.

DmanDmythDledge
12/02/2007, 6:57 PM
Last season.
That wasn't the case for UCD.

mypost
12/02/2007, 7:12 PM
centralised?

As they control the league now, The FAI are drawing them up independently. The clubs no longer arrange the fixtures themselves. In any case, as the fixtures last season were the reverse of the year before, they can't be reversed again.

pete
12/02/2007, 7:49 PM

I never said they get released

1. You draw up the fixtures with the various scenarios. If shels in 1st division just swop in waterford & change 1st division fixtures etc...
2. Shels given final date for info submission. Decision made.
3. release fixtures the next day based on whatever scenario you left with.

I am just saying should be no delay in announcing fixtures once the decision made.

mypost
12/02/2007, 8:09 PM
And what happens if Shels fold altogether after a provisional list has been drawn up? What happens to the 1st Division fixture list?

It sounds simple to draw up such a schedule in theory, but practically, it's considerably more difficult. It's not feasible to draw up a provisional fixture list. It must be set in stone when released.

Dr.Nightdub
12/02/2007, 9:05 PM
It's not feasible to draw up a provisional fixture list.

Course it's feasible to draw up a provisional fixture list. The hint is in the name - "provisional". :rolleyes:

They've only three scenarios to plan for:
1. Shels in Premier, Waterford in First
2. Waterford in Premier, Shels in First
3. Waterford in Premier, Shels in neither

First one is easy, replace last years fixtures with Rovers and Galway where they had Waterford and CHF, then reverse the running order. It happens every year, no reason for them to go against the grain and get all novel and innovative about it. Second one is easy too, just swap "v Waterford" for where it says "v Shels" in the Premier fixture list and vice-versa for the First fixture list. Third one is just as easy, just swap "weekend off" for where it says "v Shels".

Then figure out whether or where they're gonna let Shels compete, then release the appropriate fixture list.

Honest, it's not hard to run a League. :D

mypost
12/02/2007, 9:16 PM
If Shels fold before the league starts, then they need another club to fill the gap, which leads to another fixture-list hold-up.

The fixtures are not reversed every year. In the 20 years since the 3-round system began, there have been years, where fixtures have been reversed from the year before. Only once have fixtures been reversed twice.

The fixtures were reversed last year, so now a brand new list must be drawn up. It may be reversed again next year. In any case, you cannot release a conditional fixture list. If you could, they'd be out by now.

Student Mullet
12/02/2007, 9:26 PM
First one is easy, replace last years fixtures with Rovers and Galway where they had Waterford and CHF, then reverse the running order. It happens every year, no reason for them to go against the grain and get all novel and innovative about it.You can't do that, it would blow the 'whole new league' theory out of the water.

Dr.Nightdub
12/02/2007, 10:07 PM
You can't do that, it would blow the 'whole new league' theory out of the water.

Oh all right then, new League, same fixture computer. Good enough for you? :D

Now, this may just be coincidence but...

2002, 12-team League, Pats' last game: Longford away
2003, 10-team League, doesn't count
2004, 10-team League, doesn't count
2005, 12-team League, Pats' last game: Longford at home
2006, 12-team League, Pats' last game: Longford away
2007, 12-team League, you wanna give me odds on Pats' last opponents?

blackholesun
12/02/2007, 10:09 PM
FFS, any first year comp sci student could write a program to "randonly" a set of fixtures given some simple constraints like Shels and Rovers sharing Tolka.

Ive noticed some years that lazy thick generating the list uses a staggered list whereby for example UCD every week play the team Shels played the week before ... If Shels are winning most of their games it means UCD are not facing a team on a winning streak most weeks ... this kinda factors are probably a + bias for teams over the season.

Note to UCD geeks, I only used UCD as an example ...

bhs

Dodge
12/02/2007, 10:32 PM
Usually the case. Almost exact oppposit. You play onme team twice at home, the following year you play them twice away. Promoted teams take the place of relegated team. We started the season against Cork 6 years out 8 a while ago. All teams are played in the same order in each of 3 series (now that they got rid of the back to back fixtures)

Its one of the many problems I had with those running the league. Basic lack of imagination (or computer game to rip off)

CharlesThompson
12/02/2007, 10:53 PM
Does anyone else think that the FAI have in fact forgotten that they have to put together a fixture list?

Mr A
13/02/2007, 2:45 AM
In the Irish League they have a great tradition of arranging Derby games for Boxing Day. I think we should take a leaf out of their book by putting derby matches on Good Friday- which has in my experience at least usually seen good numbers attending matches. I think the extra hype of these games plus the lack of other attractions could make this worth a try at least.

mypost
13/02/2007, 5:54 AM
Now, this may just be coincidence but...

2002, 12-team League, Pats' last game: Longford away
2003, 10-team League, doesn't count
2004, 10-team League, doesn't count
2005, 12-team League, Pats' last game: Longford at home
2006, 12-team League, Pats' last game: Longford away
2007, 12-team League, you wanna give me odds on Pats' last opponents?

Our last match in 12-team league:

2000: Shels (h)
2001: Derry (h)
2002: Galway (h)
2005: UCD (a)

:confused:

BohsPartisan
13/02/2007, 7:55 AM
Seems the fixtures are only reversed for the big clubs.

(Its been Shels for us for the last few years.)

oriel
13/02/2007, 8:01 AM
Although I do think Shels will end up relegated, I think a lot of us are under estimating the whole situation, its Feb 13th, they have still no manager, hardly any senior players, as yet no sign of a rescue plan, millions in debt, they could well cease trading.

They would want to have a pretty quick plan to sign up players and fast, but how can they possibly get any premier standard players now ? I`d say the Premier Div option is a def non runner.

They spent one season before in the First Div, 1985/86 I think, but this time their stay will be a bit longer I think.

Footnote, paddy power has still priced them at 20/1 to win the premier lge !!!!

Magicme
13/02/2007, 8:08 AM
Does anyone else think that the FAI have in fact forgotten that they have to put together a fixture list?

Certainly not...was at an FAI seminar last Friday and one of the first things they told us was that the fixtures would be out by the end of this week. They just had to wait til the other issues were ironed out I suppose.

We had Galway at home for first game of the season for 2 years in a row so I hope we get Waterford/Wexford at home instead!

neutrino
13/02/2007, 8:09 AM
FFS, any first year comp sci student could write a program to "randonly" a set of fixtures given some simple constraints like Shels and Rovers sharing Tolka.

Ive noticed some years that lazy thick generating the list uses a staggered list whereby for example UCD every week play the team Shels played the week before ... If Shels are winning most of their games it means UCD are not facing a team on a winning streak most weeks ... this kinda factors are probably a + bias for teams over the season.

Note to UCD geeks, I only used UCD as an example ...

bhs

technology ?? FAI ??? no no no. they're still using the quill and ink method.

monutdfc
13/02/2007, 8:27 AM
We had Galway at home for first game of the season for 2 years in a row so I hope we get Waterford/Wexford at home instead!
We were meant to be away to Galway last season but the fixtures were reversed because there was a schools international in Terryland that night.

Terry
13/02/2007, 8:27 AM
have heard that they are writting up a new fixture list compared to just reversing the lists like before. They want to start the league of with as many derbies as possible.

Magicme
13/02/2007, 8:30 AM
I heard that there is a possiblity that all suspensions held over from last season may also be struck off as this is a new league and not a continuation. Not sure if that is gonna happen or not, as I say its just a rumour I heard.

Tis-smeee
13/02/2007, 8:51 AM
Micheal Hayes is the man that arranges them the past number of years cant remember a year when he didnt balls up the fixtures , I wonder if we will be taking a mid-season break this year like the past two for the olympics and world cup

Magicme
13/02/2007, 8:53 AM
Yeah as far as I know there is one week off during June. I think its the week of the 4th on.

Peadar
13/02/2007, 9:03 AM
They want to start the league of with as many derbies as possible.

Will our derby be against Galway or Bray? :confused:

:D

Pablo
13/02/2007, 9:08 AM
Will our derby be against Galway or Bray? :confused:

:D

It fightening isnt it!

Our nearest game is Dublin of Galway!

Come on Limerick 37, Cobh, Waterford and Wexford get your act together!

sonofstan
13/02/2007, 9:28 AM
Our nearest game is Dublin of Galway!

is that a players name or something? like Vennegoor of Hesselink?

Dr.Nightdub
13/02/2007, 10:12 PM
Our last match in 12-team league:

2000: Shels (h)
2001: Derry (h)
2002: Galway (h)
2005: UCD (a)

Youse will always get bounced around cos of the ground situation.

mypost
14/02/2007, 2:10 AM
Youse will always get bounced around cos of the ground situation.

Our ground situation has no bearing on the make up of the fixture list.

Dodge
14/02/2007, 2:14 AM

Our ground situation has no bearing on the make up of the fixture list.

Absolutely does. Yourself and Shels have to be scheduled at home on alternative weekends. (And the same applied to Pats/Rovers in Richmond or Bohs/Rovers in Dalymount)

bohs til i die
14/02/2007, 9:08 AM
Although I do think Shels will end up relegated, I think a lot of us are under estimating the whole situation, its Feb 13th, they have still no manager, hardly any senior players, as yet no sign of a rescue plan, millions in debt, they could well cease trading.

My money is on Alan Matthews and half the Longford squad lining out for Shels in the 2007 Premier division

drummerboy
14/02/2007, 9:11 AM
I heard Roddy Collins pronouncing himself the next Shels manager at the schoolboy match last weekend.

Rory H
14/02/2007, 9:15 AM
and maybe he was scouting for new players at the schoolboy match:p

dcfcsteve
14/02/2007, 10:49 AM
In the Irish League they have a great tradition of arranging Derby games for Boxing Day. I think we should take a leaf out of their book by putting derby matches on Good Friday- which has in my experience at least usually seen good numbers attending matches. I think the extra hype of these games plus the lack of other attractions could make this worth a try at least.

Good idea GH.

The Irish League also cooks the fixtures to make all the Boxing Day games local derbies, which adds a big element to them as well.

Would be great if the FAI did likewise. Unlikely that the idea would even cross their mind however...