PDA

View Full Version : Why does Stan claim he is building for the future?

The Legend
09/02/2007, 6:22 PM
some of those guys might suppose to be at their peak, but they are not performing... have no idea what he's building towards.... people who might perform?

tricky_colour
09/02/2007, 6:29 PM
I guess he want people to forget about the present results :rolleyes:

OwlsFan
09/02/2007, 8:54 PM
For God's sake. The reason he's talking about "building for the future" is because he's got a 4 year contract and it's an excuse in case the results go pear shaped in the first campaign. End of story. No point examining whether it's true or not.

clearskies
10/02/2007, 2:21 PM
i've been hearing the word "transition" or "building for the future" right back to the mcCarthy days..thats 6 yrs now..would have thought they have reached the future!!!! ;)

Qwerty
10/02/2007, 8:14 PM
People talk about "Golden Generations" a lot, and technically shouldn't this be our Golden Generation?
Keane, Duff and Given are some of the finest players we have ever had and they are in their peak years.

Look at our team. With a full strength side, there is no reason for youth to be involved. THIS should be where we put out good performances, I could see us being weaker for the next campaign.

Shay Given - Starting Peak years
Steve Finnan - Peak
Richard Dunne - Starting Peak years
John O Shea - Starting Peak years
Ian Harte - Peak
Lee Carsley - Finishing Peak years
Damien Duff - Starting Peak years
Andy Reid - Starting Peak years
Steven Reid - Starting Peak years
Robbie Keane - Starting Peak years
Kevin Doyle - Youngster still learning

With the exception of Doyle, it's a peak side. So why does Stan claim he is building for the future when he has everything he needs right now?

Because Stan isn't prepared for the present.

carloz
11/02/2007, 1:05 PM
It might be just me but two players that we could really really do with is Joey O'Brien and especially stephen Reid. im a big fan of both players and in truth both were the best Irish performers in the Premiership last season

Irish_Praha
11/02/2007, 1:35 PM
It might be just me but two players that we could really really do with is Joey O'Brien and especially stephen Reid. im a big fan of both players and in truth both were the best Irish performers in the Premiership last season

Yeah those two would at least add some height to the team.
However, at present O'Brien would only be a back-up for Finnan until he gets some games at CMF with his club. If Reid could play for Ireland like he did for Blackburn last season then he could add a lot to the side. Him and Carsley in a 4-4-2 would fill me with a lot more confidence than any of our other options. Maybe in a year or two O'Brien could replace Carsley. Reid is pretty handy at the set pieces. So that would mean we'd have no reason for including Harte.
Maybe eventually a Reid-Ireland combination might work but only when Reid has really proven himself at international level. I've expected at lot more from him but being played on the right against Germany didnt help :rolleyes:
BTW Robbie didnt have such a bad season last year either - 16 goals :p

Saint Tom
11/02/2007, 4:57 PM
ok stan build for the future. Drop Keane, duff, O'Shea, Finnan etc for good and start building a team of players who give a sh!t. Give me a team of under 23s eager to prove themselves above any of the current lot.

No Heart or desire to play for the green shirt honoured by the likes of McGrath, townsend, houghton, Brady et al