PDA

View Full Version : Finbarr flood resigns!

monkey magic
09/02/2007, 4:11 PM
link (http://www.shelbournefc.ie/news.php?id=567)

article says to let ollie and his representitives to look over the proposals on the table.. makes me wonder if ollie is already tryin to regain control of the club

Jerry The Saint
09/02/2007, 4:19 PM
link (http://http://www.shelbournefc.ie/news.php?id=567)

article says to let ollie and his representitives to look over the proposals on the table.. makes me wonder if ollie is already tryin to regain control of the club

If this was anything but bad news for Shels wouldn't Flood until Ollie had chosen a proposal before running off:confused:

monkey magic
09/02/2007, 4:27 PM
my thoughts exactly, sounds like he's jumping ship..

sonofstan
09/02/2007, 4:33 PM
Ollie's motto on his comeback: 'apres le deluge.... moi!'

OneRedArmy
09/02/2007, 4:35 PM
Nail, coffin, in.......

Flood is a respectable businessman with a reputation to protect.

Read into that what you will.

avvenalaf
09/02/2007, 4:52 PM
Flood steps down as Shels' caretaker chairman

17:25 Friday February 9th 2007

Finbarr Flood has stepped down as caretaker chairman of Shelbourne.
He had been working in the role since Ollie Byrne's recent admission to hospital.

Mr Flood issued a statement this evening stating his own business and personal commitments aswell as his own recent medical problems have prevented him from continuing in the post.

He said he's been working on a package of measures that would enable Shelbourne Football Club's future presence in the Eircom National League.

Basically, what this means is that Shels, at best, will be playing in Division 1 this year, but more likely, the Club will fold altogether. Sad times but Ollie was a juggler and no matter how good a juggler you are, your arms will tire sometime and balls will be dropped. ROVERS FOR SETANTA (O'HALPIN)

Midgit
09/02/2007, 4:59 PM
Does anyone know what will happen to Tolka?
Or is that owned by the FAI?

Only1Rovers
09/02/2007, 5:29 PM
Tolka is owned by yourman Ossie Kilkenny (think thats his first name), the stadium was on a long-term lease to Shels, if shels go to the wall i presume Kilkenny will take it back and flog it for millions, apartments, prime location.
Hope Shels pull through.

pete
09/02/2007, 5:36 PM
I think Flood was never going to stay as Chairman in the current climate. Ollie basically owns the club so he has final say so on any changes.

John83
09/02/2007, 5:37 PM
Tolka is owned by yourman Ossie Kilkenny (think thats his first name), the stadium was on a long-term lease to Shels, if shels go to the wall i presume Kilkenny will take it back and flog it for millions, apartments, prime location.
Hope Shels pull through.
The council own the freehold, so Kilkenny might find it tougher to develop than that.

Regardless, this looks ominous.

SeaniesRedArmy
09/02/2007, 5:38 PM
the league wont be the same withou shels

John83
09/02/2007, 5:39 PM
I think Flood was never going to stay as Chairman in the current climate. Ollie basically owns the club so he has final say so on any changes.
Pete, could you merge this with http://foot.ie/showthread.php?t=52741 please?

Only1Rovers
09/02/2007, 5:40 PM
The council own the freehold, so Kilkenny might find it tougher to develop than that.

Regardless, this looks ominous.

Ya your right about the freehold, but I think Kilkenny is looking to get it back. you wouldn't know what sort of clauses are involved.

gustavo
09/02/2007, 5:41 PM
Theres a reason why theres a Shelbourne forum and why this is called a Sligo Rovers forum.Moved.

eamo1
09/02/2007, 5:44 PM
1 month to go before the league starts and no chairman,manager and players and most of all no money,1 thing they do have still is a huge debt.they have to be at least demoted and it has to happen very soon.its bullsh*t that 1 club can hold up the start of a season,it better not happen that way.any hope they had of being rescued and saving their premier division status is now gone.shels out-waterford in ASAP please.

Dodge
09/02/2007, 5:47 PM
Sean Connolly is still there. Ball back in Ollie's court, and apparently Kilkenny won't deal with him so looks like last chance has gone for Shels

fanatic
09/02/2007, 5:53 PM

This work has now reached the stage where proposals are being considered which have the potential to ensure that Shelbourne F.C. can continue to operate as an FAI National League Club.

End

Could these proposals be from the FAI ?

ie Have they asked Shelbourne to drop a divison to continue to operate as an FAI National League Club ...... with Flood not prepared to make that decision ?

bohs til i die
09/02/2007, 5:57 PM

This work has now reached the stage where proposals are being considered which have the potential to ensure that Shelbourne F.C. can continue to operate as an FAI National League Club.

End

Could these proposals be from the FAI ?

ie Have they asked Shelbourne to drop a divison to continue to operate as an FAI National League Club ...... with Flood not prepared to make that decision ?

Flood would be right to try and keep Shels in the Premier as they'd have higher crowds and lower travelling costs.

I get the impression from the statement that Flood and Ollie have fallen out over whats best for Shels as only a week ago Flood was full of confidence about Shels being a top flight team, competing in the CL. Now he is jumping ship leaving proposals with potential.

fanatic
09/02/2007, 5:59 PM
either way i still hope Shel's compete in this years premier

bohs til i die
09/02/2007, 5:59 PM
Ya your right about the freehold, but I think Kilkenny is looking to get it back. you wouldn't know what sort of clauses are involved.

DCC own the freehold for Tolka Park. Shels have a lease which has almost 60 years to run. They have agreed terms on a sale of the lease and have drawn funds from that sale but ownership of the freehold has never changed hands.

Ivano Cafollo [?] and Jerry O'Reilly are the money men, Kilkenny is the advisor.

DCC have stated they have no plans to re-zone Tolka until 2011 at the earliest, and it will be for a low density development.

Shels are rightly fukked.

The Man Himself
09/02/2007, 7:04 PM
it now looks like bye bye $hel$ and hello waterford.
there is no way shels can compete in the premier this coming season.

the best chance shels have now of surviving is going part-time and starting out in the 1st division

higgins
09/02/2007, 7:35 PM
Lads...

Read the statement.
Finbarr Flood stepped down for the reasons he said.
He was only ever here until he sorted out a deal. He's done that now and it's up to Shels if they accept that or not.

He was always going to go once his part was finished, he's not jumping ship.

Some of you are so stupid you're taking this as a negative.
He is saying a deal has been done!!! It has to be signed off on now.....

Vitruvian Man
09/02/2007, 7:38 PM
If it's positive news why has he resigned before it was announced.

You can't blame people for thinking you're goosed now.

higgins
09/02/2007, 7:43 PM
It's positive in so far as his bit is done...!!!
If he was still there it would mean the deal was ongoing......

He's gone now so the deal is there.

If it was a no no I'd have heard by now but thats not the case. We're closer now to playing EL football than we were at any stage over the past few weeks.

What use would it serve for Finbarr Flood to stick around ?

It's now up to Ollie and the BoM to get on with it. A Chairman who will stay for the season needs to fill the chairmans role, not Finbarr Flood who has no intention of staying long term.

Longfordian
09/02/2007, 7:53 PM
So why was he blaming business pressures, medical reasons etc.? Why not just say "My work here is done" like the good angel he is

avvenalaf
09/02/2007, 8:33 PM
Ah, Higgins, you really are whistling past the graveyard. Game over, I'm afraid.

Gareth
09/02/2007, 8:46 PM
Its not game over lads. And I issued the statement. Its not game over.

bohs til i die
09/02/2007, 9:10 PM

If it was a no no I'd have heard by now but thats not the case. We're closer now to playing EL football than we were at any stage over the past few weeks.

It's now up to Ollie and the BoM to get on with it. A Chairman who will stay for the season needs to fill the chairmans role, not Finbarr Flood who has no intention of staying long term.

"proposals being considered which have the potential to ensure that Shelbourne can continue to operate as an FAI National League club"

How is that saying the deal is done.

Mr A
09/02/2007, 9:16 PM
Seems to me that Shels will survive, will play in the first division and that Ollie won't be involved to any great extent.

finnpark
09/02/2007, 9:37 PM
Seems to me that Shels will survive, will play in the first division and that Ollie won't be involved to any great extent.

Thats a bit unfair to 1st division teams who have kept their business above board. We could all spend E11m and waste it.

Donabate Saint
09/02/2007, 11:35 PM
Thats a bit unfair to 1st division teams who have kept their business above board. We could all spend E11m and waste it.

Totally agree, but Ollie knows where the bodies are buried so it's unlikely that they'll be expelled from the league. The only way they will disappear is if they cease trading as a company which is still a possibilty.

It all hinges on Ollie accepting whatever deal is on the table. I'd bet that a condition of that deal is that he takes a back seat in the running of the club. I wonder if his ego is big enought to accept that.

pete
09/02/2007, 11:44 PM

Thats the way I read it. As Ollie owns the club he needs to sign now or ye will not survive as a club. Last chance saloon.

Will Ollie be able to accept that lack of glory going forward though?

OneRedArmy
10/02/2007, 1:04 AM
Lads...

Read the statement.
Finbarr Flood stepped down for the reasons he said.
He was only ever here until he sorted out a deal. He's done that now and it's up to Shels if they accept that or not.

He was always going to go once his part was finished, he's not jumping ship.

Some of you are so stupid you're taking this as a negative.
He is saying a deal has been done!!! It has to be signed off on now.....Finbarr Flood is a successful businessman. He has a reputation to protect.

Heard anything from the ODCE or the Revenue recently?

khoop
10/02/2007, 6:32 AM
either way i still hope Shel's compete in this years premier

For what???

You might as well say "I hope that Dalkey United or Swilly Rovers play in this year's premier" - because both clubs have far better teams than Shels. As in, they have teams.

khoop
10/02/2007, 6:35 AM
He is saying a deal has been done!!! It has to be signed off on now.....

He is saying that a deal MIGHT be done. Interesting that he doesn't want to hang around for when that deal goes public. Can't be great.

mypost
10/02/2007, 7:23 AM
Thats the way I read it. As Ollie owns the club he needs to sign now or ye will not survive as a club.

Ask any Shels players who had to go to the High Court to leave the club what weight a signed form means to Ollie.:rolleyes: