PDA

View Full Version : Setanta Cup-Sligo Rovers to bid for place

sligoman
08/02/2007, 7:03 PM
SLIGO Rovers officials have said the club is pursuing a bid to secure a place in the Setanta Cup, claiming that the Showgrounds outfit and not St. Patrick’s Athletic should have been given entry to the competition following the decision of league champions, Shelbourne, to withdraw.

“We are certainly disappointed that we were not even consulted before this decision was taken. It seems to have been done very hastily and we have written to the authorities to press our case,” said Rovers Chairman, Michael Toolan.

Read more (http://www.unison.ie/sligo_champion/stories.php3?ca=94&si=1773482&issue_id=15237) [Need to be registered]

forza
08/02/2007, 7:21 PM
Ah well you can want all you want. :p

Réiteoir
08/02/2007, 7:24 PM
Not sure how you can appeal a decision connected with an Invitational Tournament

Committee has invited who they want in exceptional circumstances...

Réiteoir
08/02/2007, 8:08 PM
aye - if it were something like the UEFA Cup where it isn't conditional on acceptance by the committee then a case may be there

on this instance I think not

kdjaC
08/02/2007, 8:30 PM
This is gonna be the best EL season ever!!!!

To be fair tho we should play Sligo in a play off for the Setanta cup spot, decide things on the pitch for a change. Not like we would have to change our B&B bookings or anything would just get us some match fitness really.

kdjac

charliesboots
09/02/2007, 9:28 AM
Pats would need it to be a two legged afair as you have a nasty habit of choking on one off occasions ;) :D

Yeah like we did in every round on the way to the cup final.

Thank god the Setanta has an initial group stage for invitees, at least we'll get six games in!!

Rossi
09/02/2007, 9:53 AM
bring them to court!!!!!!!!

pete
09/02/2007, 10:06 AM
Whatever claim Sligo Rovers had is surely gone because ye took so long to thing about...

eirebhoy
09/02/2007, 10:17 AM
This is how I see it. If a team wins the FAI cup and the league then the runner up in the cup gets the Setanta cup place. Shelbourne pull out of the league. Their Setanta place goes to Derry. Derry's cup place goes to Pats. Easy as that.

Jerry The Saint
09/02/2007, 10:31 AM
And anyway, we're Portadown's "+1" on their invitation so we get to go to the party no matter what Sligo say.:p

dcfcsteve
09/02/2007, 1:00 PM
It's an invitational tournament. Sligo haven't a leg to stand-on, so should stop their crying.

Their name's not on the list, they're not coming in....

TonyD
09/02/2007, 3:34 PM

You can get a job as a bouncer at Richmond any time Steve :D

SligoBrewer
09/02/2007, 7:50 PM
I think Sligo were very hard done by. Of course they should have got the place on Shels withdrawal.

This jiggery pokery about Derry are now considered the champions and the cup place now moves to the runners up is a load of crap that masks the unjustifiable preferential treatment given to one club. I’m fairly sure that had the positions of St. Pats and Sligo been reversed, St Pats would still have got the place.

clap clap clap
sense seen by someone:)

kdjaC
09/02/2007, 7:54 PM
clap clap clap
sense seen by someone:)

Online petition tbh, they always work.

kdjac

Red4Eva
09/02/2007, 8:04 PM
It's an invitational tournament. Sligo haven't a leg to stand-on, so should stop their crying.

had shels be stripped of their title and derry were crowned champions, pat's would rightly have been awarded the setanta cup place but shels did not accept their invitation therefore the setanta cup place should go to the next team in the league placing.

kdjaC
09/02/2007, 9:00 PM
had shels be stripped of their title and derry were crowned champions, pat's would rightly have been awarded the setanta cup place but shels did not accept their invitation therefore the setanta cup place should go to the next team in the league placing.

So you would accept we got in if shels were stripped off the title but because they resigned from it you think you should be in.

Sweet god that makes no sense whatsoever.

kdjac

forza
09/02/2007, 9:14 PM
So you would accept we got in if shels were stripped off the title but because they resigned from it you think you should be in.

Sweet god that makes no sense whatsoever.

kdjac

Kdjac ignore them.

Minnowisim is all it is :D

Stato
09/02/2007, 9:55 PM
The Setanta Cup invitations are given to the three clubs who qualify for the main UEFA spots plus the League Cup winners. It's a tournament designed to give the teams that qualified for Europe some extra high level competitive match practice before their European campaigns.

Under the rules for deciding our European qualifying teams, one UEFA spot is awarded for the FAI Cup competition and one for the league competition. If the Cup winners cannot claim the cup spot (e.g. they qualify for the Champions League instead), it automatically goes to the cup runners-up, not back into the league competition.

Hypothetically speaking, if Shelbourne are unable to participate in the Champions League, Derry City would obviously be promoted to that competition. The UEFA Cup spot that Derry won by winning the cup would then go to the cup runners up, i.e. Pats.

The Setanta Cup rules of entry are the same and therefore, by Shels pulling out, Pats get the vacant spot. Arguably Derry could have had a case for being moved into Shels group in their place and let Pats take Derry's place.

dcfcsteve
10/02/2007, 1:18 PM
I always said that you had the required IQ for that Profession Steve !!!!! :)

What's an IQ......? :confused:

I've got the hair for it too...!:D

Dodge
10/02/2007, 1:34 PM
Arguably Derry could have had a case for being moved into Shels group in their place and let Pats take Derry's place.

I think they just left it for handiness sake. using that ol' invitation clause...

Rory H
10/02/2007, 2:08 PM
we have i think about 9 days to try and get the decision reversed...the club are approaching several media outlets trying to get some publicity for some justice!!if people think we are just bitching well.....we are but id bitch all year if it meant a possible €20-€50k for the club....

Dodge
10/02/2007, 2:54 PM
we have i think about 9 days to try and get the decision reversed...the club are approaching several media outlets trying to get some publicity for some justice!!if people think we are just bitching well.....we are but id bitch all year if it meant a possible €20-€50k for the club....

True. But you don't want to **** the FAI and Setanta off either. Setanta are, by all accounts, greatly increasing their league coverage next year. You might have got a better recption if you kicked up a fuss when the decision was made too.

Rory H
10/02/2007, 2:57 PM
True. But you don't want to **** the FAI and Setanta off either. Setanta are, by all accounts, greatly increasing their league coverage next year. You might have got a better recption if you kicked up a fuss when the decision was made too.

oh i agree.there is probably big debate within the club on what to do...time will tell...chances are it wont be overturned so someone wise will have to make a decision!maybe just one long fuss will work:cool: