PDA

View Full Version : This weeks Champion 7-02-07

red bellied
08/02/2007, 6:58 PM
SLIGO Rovers officials have said the club is pursuing a bid to secure a place in the Setanta Cup, claiming that the Showgrounds outfit and not St. Patrick’s Athletic should have been given entry to the competition following the decision of league champions, Shelbourne, to withdraw.

“We are certainly disappointed that we were not even consulted before this decision was taken. It seems to have been done very hastily and we have written to the authorities to press our case,” said Rovers Chairman, Michael Toolan.

Rovers believe that the rules of the Setanta Cup state that should a club win the Premier Division and the F.A.I. Cup double, the runners-up in the Cup will go into the competition.

However, there are other eligibility criteria which state that a club failing to meet the required criteria, or meeting two or more of these entry requirements, the place should go to the next highest placed team in the league.

Derry City have fulfilled a number of the criteria requirements, having won the F.A.I. Cup, the League Cup and finishing runners-up in the league.

“We are not happy at the way this has transpired. At least we should have been contacted. We are awaiting development.

“It seems that in the event of a club winning the double of league and cup, the runners up in the cup go into the Setanta Cup, otherwise it is the highest placed finish.

“We finished higher than St. Pat’s,” said the Chairman.

The Setanta Cup begins on February 27th next, with St. Pat’s included in Group 2 with Cork City, Portadown and Dungannon.

sligoman
08/02/2007, 7:00 PM
Good to hear but cant see Setanta changing their mind now.

SligoBrewer
08/02/2007, 7:00 PM
i saw that..

nice to see the club is taking action on what is right fully ours

red bellied
08/02/2007, 7:04 PM
Rovers werent on the ball on this one. They should of seen this coming weeks ago as the writing was on the wall for Shels, probably too late now.

Bravo
08/02/2007, 7:27 PM
Will we have any chance of a European place? No point fighting for it after its been delegated!!

soccerc
08/02/2007, 7:39 PM
Will we have any chance of a European place?

In a word No

Bravo
08/02/2007, 7:44 PM
Any particular reason??

Rovers1
08/02/2007, 7:55 PM
who makes the final decision? is it a joint decision between IFA and FAI??

sligored
08/02/2007, 9:18 PM
i think we would be better off not in the setanta cup at the moment. we have no team and i am very worried about the lack of signings and the quality of players brought in to date. i hope i am wrong but it looks like being a very poor season unless there are some very good signings in the next two weeks. i am worried , very worried.
we cant afford to lose the complete spine of our team ie goalie , two centre halfs , one if not two central midfielders and our two centre forwards and replace them with raf , alcala , julien and a polish trialist.
i think the manager has some serious questions to answer.

SeaniesRedArmy
08/02/2007, 9:56 PM
they will never reverse the decision now

Rovers1
08/02/2007, 10:21 PM
wats a WUM??? and is it true there was 2 polish lads and one is gone?

Dodge
08/02/2007, 10:46 PM
“We are certainly disappointed that we were not even consulted before this decision was taken. It seems to have been done very hastily and we have written to the authorities to press our case,” said Rovers Chairman, Michael Toolan

Pats weren't consulted either. Invitational competition. No case for Setanta to answer.

Midgit
09/02/2007, 8:10 AM
wats a WUM??? and is it true there was 2 polish lads and one is gone?

Yes its true!
One was a central defender and he is gone!
The other is an attacking midfielder (bobic) and he is staying on for another week!

Only1Rovers
09/02/2007, 10:38 AM
i think we would be better off not in the setanta cup at the moment. we have no team and i am very worried about the lack of signings and the quality of players brought in to date. i hope i am wrong but it looks like being a very poor season unless there are some very good signings in the next two weeks. i am worried , very worried.
we cant afford to lose the complete spine of our team ie goalie , two centre halfs , one if not two central midfielders and our two centre forwards and replace them with raf , alcala , julien and a polish trialist.
i think the manager has some serious questions to answer.

Some will tell me to change the record but, I have to agree with sligored, we were told weeks and weeks ago that players were to sign imenently, I was under the impression that the club knew which players were on their way to the club. We were told at the meeting that players who were about to sign could not be unveiled because they wanted to ensure everything was sorted out with sponcers.

I couldn't make the game in Swinford but despite the score line I'm led to believe the make-shift team that was on display didn't look to hot. If the club did get to play in Setanta Cup what sort of team would we put out? What could we expect to gain from it? Injuries, and increase the depletion squad I like everyone else cant wait for the football to start again but I think we need to look at the bigger picture. Lets try and get our stall set out before we start selling our wares.

I'm glad to see the club questioning the decision about Pats getting 'invited' to play ahead of us, but I dont think we're ready.

What is the point in setting out regulations for qualification for a competition if its invitational? Thats rubbish Dodge.

Dodge
09/02/2007, 10:55 AM
Have you read anything, anywhere that didn't say Pats have been invited to the Setanta Cup? No, so stop ****ing moaning about it. We're in, you're not and bitching about it will do nobody any good with either Setanta Sports or the FAI

gustavo
09/02/2007, 10:58 AM
Some will tell me to change the record but, I have to agree with sligored, we were told weeks and weeks ago that players were to sign imenently, I was under the impression that the club knew which players were on their way to the club. We were told at the meeting that players who were about to sign could not be unveiled .

According to the latest article (http://www.sligorovers.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=256&Itemid=88)on the official site , new signings are imminent in the next few days.

Only1Rovers
09/02/2007, 11:03 AM
Have you read anything, anywhere that didn't say Pats have been invited to the Setanta Cup? No, so stop ****ing moaning about it. We're in, you're not and bitching about it will do nobody any good with either Setanta Sports or the FAI

Hay mate I dont think you read my last post I aint moaning about it. And Best of luck to ya.

What a nice chap....:rolleyes:

Dodge
09/02/2007, 11:35 AM
I was using "you" plural...

Only1Rovers
09/02/2007, 11:51 AM
Since your second post on this thread noone has been moaning about it. So what are 'you' (singular) on about?

paudie
09/02/2007, 12:07 PM
Pats weren't consulted either. Invitational competition. No case for Setanta to answer.

Does this mean if, for some reason, Setanta decided they didn't want the league winners to be in the Setanta Cup they just needn't invite them?:confused:

TBH I thought the entry qualifications were a bit tighter than just getting an invite.

Sligo are right to query it at least.

Only1Rovers
09/02/2007, 12:17 PM
my point exactly, why have any qualification regulations if they can invite who they want?

Dodge
09/02/2007, 1:04 PM
It is an invitational tournament, they can choose whoever they want (they're not governed by FAI or IFA), and they choose to stick to the qualifying criteria they laid out. Its still an invitational tournament...

gustavo
09/02/2007, 1:07 PM
Why bother having the qualification rules then , Why not just invite four clubs of their choosing every year

Bravo
09/02/2007, 1:07 PM

If the shoe were on the other foot ye would be the greatest shower of whingeing jackeens, It would be at the forefront of discussion in the Dail, & why are ya trolling on a SRFC forum & complaining about the content?

gustavo
09/02/2007, 1:12 PM
Calm down lads , It's just a bit of fun!!

Dodge
09/02/2007, 1:14 PM
Its not trolling if I'm pointing out facts, and no Pats fan expected to get the Setanta, so why would we complain?

I even posted here I thought Sligo would get it (before Shels pulled out).

However according to the FAI website http://www.fai.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1649

As per tournament rules an invitation will now be extended to St Patrick’s Athletic Football Club to participate in the 2007 Setanta Sports Cup as they finished runners-up to Derry City in the FAI Cup.

No, if you choose to believe that the people who made up the rules are wrong and you should've been invited, without a single person here seeing the actual rules, then go ahead, bitch and moan, all you like...

Only1Rovers
09/02/2007, 1:18 PM
Dodge show me one quote from this thread where we have a) bitched or b) moaned about the fact that were not in the Setanta Cup?

Dodge
09/02/2007, 1:49 PM
You meaning Sligo Rovers (club and fans)

“We are certainly disappointed that we were not even consulted before this decision was taken. It seems to have been done very hastily and we have written to the authorities to press our case,” said Rovers Chairman, Michael Toolan.
“We are not happy at the way this has transpired. At least we should have been contacted. We are awaiting development.

“It seems that in the event of a club winning the double of league and cup, the runners up in the cup go into the Setanta Cup, otherwise it is the highest placed finish.

“We finished higher than St. Pat’s,” said the Chairman.

i saw that..

nice to see the club is taking action on what is right fully ours

Good to hear but cant see Setanta changing their mind now.

Only1Rovers
09/02/2007, 1:54 PM
I think you might have missed one Dodge, have another look.

Dodge
09/02/2007, 2:01 PM
Well if you didn't want the answer, why ask for it?

And again, pointing out where arguements are wrong is not trolling

And by the way looking at your squad the Setanta Cup should be the least of your worries.

Good luck...

Soper
09/02/2007, 2:17 PM
Don't you worry your sweet little head, our squad will be fine

SeaniesRedArmy
09/02/2007, 5:31 PM
Great name WUM

its not what you think my name is sean. sean connor is a w#nker and hes a disgrace 3 my name!

Bravo
09/02/2007, 7:56 PM
Well if you didn't want the answer, why ask for it?
And by the way looking at your squad the Setanta Cup should be the least of your worries....

Ya would have said the same this time last year! Ye are no great shakes either, another bunch of mercenaries & has-beens signed again for ye this season I would say!!

Midgit
09/02/2007, 8:57 PM
its not what you think my name is sean. sean connor is a w#nker and hes a disgrace 3 my name!

Thats the spirit!!!:D :D :D