PDA

View Full Version : Wexford Local Media

A face
08/02/2007, 6:39 PM
Do any of the Wexford fans know of any good local media websites? It would be good to see what kind of reaction you are getting locally.

G-Man
08/02/2007, 7:40 PM
Taken from the Wesxford people, the sports section is a bit all over the place but there are some articles to do with Wallace and the current youth team as well as WYFC

http://www.unison.ie/wexford_people/stories.php3?ca=37&si=1773070&issue_id=15235

MICK WALLACE'S dream of bringing League of Ireland soccer to the county was realised yesterday morning (Tuesday) as the F.A.I. confirmed that Wexford Youths F.C. will ply their trade in Division 1 this season

The club has been awarded a First Division Licence for the 2007 campaign by the FAI's First Instance Committee following a successful application.

Speaking to 'Sportplus', long-haired construction boss, Wallace, expressed his delight at the news.

'It will be great for soccer in Wexford. It will give us the chance to bring the whole thing to a new level. The club will be community-based and will be different from any other League of Ireland club,' he said.

Wallace, who has managed the Wexford Youths team for well over a decade, leading them to two All-Ireland titles, is looking forward to the challenge ahead.

'It's going to be tough for the first couple of seasons in particular, but we've proved with our success at under-age level that the players are there. We have the best record in the country at Under-18s for the past ten years. We won't be able to turn Junior players into top-class League of Ireland players overnight, but I'm confident that we'll get there.'

The eircom League has been under the spotlight recently for all the wrong reasons, with Premier Division champions, Shelbourne, in financial crisis, but Wallace is determined that Wexford Youths F.C. will do things right.

'We will bring a positive element to the League of Ireland. We'll be an amateur team made up of local players and the club will be run properly. The problem with a lot of Irish clubs is that they have been run very poorly,' he said.

With the league campaign kicking off on March 9, time is of the essence, but with Wallace always expecting to gain entry, preparations are already well under way.

Wallace has pumped e2.5 million of his own money into his state-of-art-facility in Newcastle, Crossabeg, and with the help of Head Coach, Pat Dolan, a preliminary squad of 30 has been selected.

The Wellingtonbridge man says he is hoping to see a large number of fans coming through the turnstiles when the season gets under way.

'It will be interesting to see how many people come to support us. Obviously I don't want to lose too much money, so it would be nice to get all the backing we can,' he laughed.

Wallace said the club will initially play their home games on Sunday afternoons, with Friday evenings pencilled in when the evenings get longer.

With plans to install floodlights at the complex shortly, Friday evening games could become a permanent fixture from the start of next season

passinginterest
09/02/2007, 4:59 PM
Do any of the Wexford fans know of any good local media websites? It would be good to see what kind of reaction you are getting locally.

Local media websites? In Wexford? We've only just finished rural electrification... :eek:

Citymark
12/02/2007, 8:23 PM
Try peoplenews.ie
Lots of good reviews in general.
Nice little set up as well.
Will take them a few years but it will be worth it

Looks like I'll get to more Wexford Youth games this year than city matches

Pablo
13/02/2007, 10:06 AM
long-haired construction boss, Wallace,

The poncy London type :D Change is not good!

magpies
13/02/2007, 11:20 PM
Is this going to be the same team that plays the Limerick Desmond League Youths in the last 16 of the Interleague Comp:confused:

ForzaWexford
14/02/2007, 12:45 AM
Is this going to be the same team that plays the Limerick Desmond League Youths in the last 16 of the Interleague Comp:confused:

Nope....that's my team! Mick Wallace is over it, but it's just a representative side that he picks from the Wexford U-18 League. Most of the eircom league squad would have played on it in the past alright.

Do ya know what Desmond are like? We beat Midlands, Wicklow and Kilkenny to qualify.

The match is on at 2.30 this Saturday if anyone wants ta get a sneak peak of where Wexford Youths will be playing next season!

magpies
14/02/2007, 11:58 AM
The Desmond League aren't bad they beat South Tipp2-1 and East Cork West Waterford 5-0 and were beaten 6-2 by Limerick District however they were missing a few against them. I think Wexford will win but the Desmond League will give a good account of themselves.

The game is been played in your new set up Newcastle,Crossbeg, must be a nice set up?

magpies
15/02/2007, 4:15 PM
Nope....that's my team! Mick Wallace is over it, but it's just a representative side that he picks from the Wexford U-18 League. Most of the eircom league squad would have played on it in the past alright.

Do ya know what Desmond are like? We beat Midlands, Wicklow and Kilkenny to qualify.

The match is on at 2.30 this Saturday if anyone wants ta get a sneak peak of where Wexford Youths will be playing next season!

what did ye beat Midlands,wicklow, and Kilkenny?

ForzaWexford
17/02/2007, 8:01 PM
what did ye beat Midlands,wicklow, and Kilkenny?

1-0, 5-0 and 1-0. And we beat Desmond League 4-2 today, didn't play well though, they were 2-0 up with about 20 mins to go.....

passinginterest
17/02/2007, 8:05 PM
That's a good result from 2 down, fair play. Did ya hear anything bout possible friendlies for the senior team yet?

magpies
18/02/2007, 10:53 AM
1-0, 5-0 and 1-0. And we beat Desmond League 4-2 today, didn't play well though, they were 2-0 up with about 20 mins to go.....

I know was talking to the Desmond League manager and some of the players they were very disappointed with the result, that was some come back, what did you think of the Desmond League side, they said the pitch was class:ball:

ForzaWexford
18/02/2007, 2:49 PM
No I haven't heard anything about friendlies for the eL side. I hope there's 1 or 2 soon enough though, am dying to see them play!

The Desmond League side weren't bad. They scored off a set-piece after about 10 mins. The first half was fairly poor to be honest, we couldn't string 2 passes together and Desmond just hit long ball after long ball. They scored again right at the start of the second half, but from then on in we were on top. I suppose the nice wide pitch suited us in the last 20 mins because we were fitter then them and there was loads of space to attack. We seemed to have better options on the bench aswell - our 2 half-time subs scored. And yeah, the pitch was in superb condition!